IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 5; Pregnant, but Still Waiting to Read about the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

On 7/12/2018 at 8:32 AM, formergothardite said:

This looks like Jim Bob, Michelle and a son. 

Laura-Christine-web-Winter-wedding+JC+%2

Does the woman on the left look like Lauren's mom? So not only the Caldwells but the Swansons were also included.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Bontrager blog they have a Christmas in July post featuring their Christmas Eve dinner which consisted of only gourmet appetizers and dessert.  Looks and sounds better than any Maxhell dinner.

19 hours ago, SPHASH said:

On the Bontrager blog they have a Christmas in July post featuring their Christmas Eve dinner which consisted of only gourmet appetizers and dessert.  Looks and sounds better than any Maxhell dinner.

This is why I predicted John would gain the newlywed 15lbs rather quickly. Chelsy knows how to cook. John looked thin at his wedding and he filled in pretty quickly afterward. 

We have seen practically nothing of John and Chelsy this past month or so on the blog. I’m guessing they only see them on the regular Sunday get together and maybe not even that. Since they seem to be busy traveling about for work and visiting. Even though they live within the required one mile radius of Maxhell, they are the closest to “getting away” from Maxwell out of any of the other married sons. 

21 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I have a good friend whose family has a yearly Christmas in July family camp-out, complete with a trailer and tree decorating contest, pig in the ground, and egg nog slushies. I was inspired to try and create a fancy Christmas in July dinner for my headship, but a look at the weather forecast (100-and-way-too-effing-hot degrees) told me that my headship wanted a pizza delivered instead.

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is why I predicted John would gain the newlywed 15lbs rather quickly. Chelsy knows how to cook. John looked thin at his wedding and he filled in pretty quickly afterward. 

We have seen practically nothing of John and Chelsy this past month or so on the blog. I’m guessing they only see them on the regular Sunday get together and maybe not even that. Since they seem to be busy traveling about for work and visiting. Even though they live within the required one mile radius of Maxhell, they are the closest to “getting away” from Maxwell out of any of the other married sons. 

We don't see much of Joseph or Elissa either. I wonder if married Reversals have less value than unmarried Reversals or The Originals?

Oh I love the idea of Christmas in July! That looks like a nice dinner and I'm trying very hard to be nice and not a BEC about their definition of "gourmet" (I'm a bougie bitch who unashamedly expects stuff like goat cheese, shrimp, and pate to earn that word). But considering what John is used to at the Maxwell house (lettuce and pea salad?) this burst of flavors and variety must be blowing his mind.

They linked to previous Christmas posts where there was some truly awesome looking stuff, like this "Jalepeno/Cream Cheese Stuffed, Bacon Wrapped Deer Backstrap". Now THAT looks good!

image.png.5884fdc03ed9e780c0c5c1c6ee82e26d.png

I've been watching Bates Motel and Psycho so whenever they say "Mother" I can't help but be creeped out...

Who are M & M? 

Jessa made Johanna call her Madam in a video. Maybe it is a fundie thing.

Found it: http://articles.titus2.com/how-long-does-character-growth-take/

“This training was so successful that the children were saying “Yes, Sir” to Nathan, our twenty-one-year-old son. Nathan was pleased enough with this show of respect from his younger brothers and sisters that he purchased a three-pound bag of M&Ms and another one of Skittles to continue the character-teaching rewards.”

That's too weird for words. I would not be delighted if I were the parents of an adult man teaching his much younger child age siblings to call him sir.

4 hours ago, bertnee said:

That's too weird for words. I would not be delighted if I were the parents of an adult man teaching his much younger child age siblings to call him sir.

I feel the same. 

I am really weirded out by people, even other adults (like when you call customer service) calling me a title. Maybe it's because they all seem to be gendered, but even if "Mx." was a thing outside of Tumblrland, I would rather people just call me my name.

When it comes to kids calling older siblings "Sir", that is even more messed up than them calling their father "Sir". I understand that most kids, even adult kids, call their parents "mom" or "dad", so I'm not against special names used in certain circumstances. I'm just icky about the inequity of power, especially when it comes to siblings.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:27 AM, VodouDoll said:

Found it: http://articles.titus2.com/how-long-does-character-growth-take/

“This training was so successful that the children were saying “Yes, Sir” to Nathan, our twenty-one-year-old son. Nathan was pleased enough with this show of respect from his younger brothers and sisters that he purchased a three-pound bag of M&Ms and another one of Skittles to continue the character-teaching rewards.”

This skeeves me out beyond words. If I had a twenty-one-year-old son doing that to his siblings, he'd be out the door with my foot in his ass to get a dose of real-world living, where you can't earn respect with Skittles.

3 hours ago, Lisafer said:

This skeeves me out beyond words. If I had a twenty-one-year-old son doing that to his siblings, he'd be out the door with my foot in his ass to get a dose of real-world living, where you can't earn respect with Skittles.

To be fair he was just reaping the rewards of his parents teaching the little ones to say yes sir, doesn't sound like he was training them with skittles himself. He only bought more candy so his parents could carry on longer with the training. 

25 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

To be fair he was just reaping the rewards of his parents teaching the little ones to say yes sir, doesn't sound like he was training them with skittles himself. He only bought more candy so his parents could carry on longer with the training. 

It's this: "This training was so successful that the children were saying “Yes, Sir” to Nathan, our twenty-one-year-old son. Nathan was pleased enough with this show of respect from his younger brothers and sisters that he purchased a three-pound bag of M&Ms and another one of Skittles to continue the character-teaching rewards."

He was pleased with his siblings "respecting" him. They were referring to him as "sir" as well as their father, and he bought more candy to encourage the behavior. It grosses me out.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:28 PM, freethemall said:

Oh I love the idea of Christmas in July! That looks like a nice dinner and I'm trying very hard to be nice and not a BEC about their definition of "gourmet" (I'm a bougie bitch who unashamedly expects stuff like goat cheese, shrimp, and pate to earn that word).

It's so weird how regional differences give people different values.  I don't think of goat cheese as fancy - you can get a log here at Superstore for $4 - and I always associate it with hippies living in shacks/trailers on the nearby islands.  I also don't think I've ever seen pate at a party except in a wellington.  Though shrimp, elaborate sushi/sashimi, crab, sea urchin, carpaccio and charcuterie are usually on offer at upscale restaurants or expensive catering appy menus round here.  

I am really not getting how teaching children to say "sir" or "ma'am" to their parents is supposed to be evidence of character development. I mean, sure, teach it as a possibly culturally appropriate term to use with adults you don't know well but I am not seeing why you would insist on it as parents (this is also quite possibly a cultural thing in that sir/ma'am isn't that common here.)

Also "We continued until all the little tasks were completed, and would you believe they didn’t want to stop even when I couldn’t find anything else to do?"

Teri, you were bribing them with lollies. Of course they wanted to keep going - more chocolate! Of course they didn't see the point without chocolate involved. Sheesh.

36 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I am really not getting how teaching children to say "sir" or "ma'am" to their parents is supposed to be evidence of character development. I mean, sure, teach it as a possibly culturally appropriate term to use with adults you don't know well but I am not seeing why you would insist on it as parents (this is also quite possibly a cultural thing in that sir/ma'am isn't that common here.)

Also "We continued until all the little tasks were completed, and would you believe they didn’t want to stop even when I couldn’t find anything else to do?"

Teri, you were bribing them with lollies. Of course they wanted to keep going - more chocolate! Of course they didn't see the point without chocolate involved. Sheesh.

(But not Lolly TF Clown, hee hee)

It amazes me that TeriSteve didn’t just have all their children respond with sir or ma’am from little on up. That’s how the ElderJuneBugs did with us and how my ex and I raised ours. Even Chip & Joanna Gaines, whom I dislike with the light of a thousand moons, have their kids sirring & maamming. It’s ridiculously easy. You just correct them every time and instruct them to use  the honorific. 

What TeriSteve were doing was making an idol out of M&M’s.  Stupid, stupid, stupid. And this was with their *second* family, “The Reversals!”

No wonder they swung way to the other side and started doling out animal crackers one by measly one to their adult children years later. 

Also, FWIW, I don’t have a problem w 10-yo Joseph (I guess? The first Reversal?) calling 21-yo Nate “sir.”  IME a 7-year age gap between siblings is where they begin to be  less Siblings than siblings, children of the same parents, but  essentially in totally different worlds.

Consider: by the time the eldest Reversal was 3, Nate was 13. Hardly playmates.  And in this family in particular, we’ve read that Nate & Poor Sarah were quite key to helping depressed, exhausted, napping Teri to run the household and tend to the kids, so by the time Nate was 21 and Joe (?) 10, I’d venture to say the titles of respect had been earned.

Or not.  

4 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

What TeriSteve were doing was making an idol out of M&M’s.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I couldn't agree more!

And she wondered why it took her another year and a half to teach them to say ma'am and sir after the M&M's were faded out.

But, gosh darn it, they were doing so well when we used the M&M's!!  I can't imagine why they're not continuing to say it!  What, oh what changed?? 

Didn't either of these two take a basic psychology course when they were in college?

My parents taught us to say sir and ma’am. My dad would say it to us as well as us say it to him or my mom. They didn’t care if we said yes mom or yes dad. They taught us to use it as a way of respect for others. I’ve had bosses get weirded out when I’d say yes sir or yes ma’am. 

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@meowfundiecatz,  noen of us are really sure about what happened with John's irrigation business.

I think someone posted a few pages back that they checked to see which conference they likely attended while on their honeymoon and there was an irrigation conference in the area.  I think John may still be in the irrigation business. We may not hear about it though.

21 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

It's so weird how regional differences give people different values.  I don't think of goat cheese as fancy - you can get a log here at Superstore for $4 - and I always associate it with hippies living in shacks/trailers on the nearby islands.  I also don't think I've ever seen pate at a party except in a wellington.  Though shrimp, elaborate sushi/sashimi, crab, sea urchin, carpaccio and charcuterie are usually on offer at upscale restaurants or expensive catering appy menus round here.  

Cool cool, sounds like we're in agreement that a veggie tray, potato skins, sweet potato fries, and Mexican dip (do you need 2?) are not fancy by many standards and it's all relative.  But maybe we should end the one upping bougie fest here before someone chimes in that sea urchin is for peasants and they barely consider foie gras fancy!

My brother is 20 years younger than I am. When my mom had me, she was 20, so I was literally as old as my mom was when she had me. There is NO WAY that I would encourage him to call me anything than my name. Sure, I sometimes had to be "in charge" like by making sure he didn't run out onto the road, but I always tried to be as positive (reinforcement and redirection) and hands-off (no discipline) as possible, since I was not the parent.

Chels and John's "love story" is now up on the Bontrager site.

As I suspected (due to a lot of emoting on her website), Chels gave away a piece of her heart before meeting John in April 2016: 

"As far as noticing John that night, though, I definitely didn't. I had just ended a relationship with another guy and couldn’t have been less interested in John or anyone!"

John says:

"I ended up mostly talking to Mr Bontrager afterwards since we were discussing some bus repair issues."

Oh  poor Uriah!  Save in the arms of Jesus now.

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.com/2018/08/john-chelsys-love-story.html

[also, there is a picture of Chels wearing pants on horseback, the hussy!]

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived