IGNORED

Who are your favourite Royals and why?

Gobbles

Because I think this every time I see this thread pop up.

George Brett, Hal McRae, Cookie Rojas.  

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

Because I think this every time I see this thread pop up.

George Brett, Hal McRae, Cookie Rojas.  

I’d say Brett, Mark Gubicza, Mike Sweeney,  Alex Gordon, Salvador Perez

• Love 1

On 1/8/2020 at 3:53 AM, JordynDarby5 said:

I loved them. It was so much fun reading about different princesses and eras. Elizabeth I's diary was one of my favorites. Cleopatra's was good too. I hadn't known until that one that Cleopatra had sisters and what happened to them. Poison, beheaded, and poor Arsinoe. Talk about one messed up family.  Learning about  Jahanara, Kaiulani, and Sondok. Each book made me want to go look up more information about them. 

You might enjoy this BBC series

• Thank You 1

I suspect Most people favorite Royals right now are  Burger King , Dairy Queen with  glass of Crown Royal  (Or RC for the Kids ) ;)

• Haha 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 5:26 AM, JordynDarby5 said:

Don't forget adding in an uncle that was murdered in the first episode. Odd since Henry's father was an only child and his mother's brothers were the princes in the tower.  

Elizabeth of York had a half-brother, Arthur Plantagenet.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I’m aware the legend(s) might not be based on an actual historical figure (that’s a debated issue and it is indeed possible that there once was a warrior king who inspired it) but I love the Arthurian tales. The different versions and various influences (Christian, etc.) that shaped how the story was told is super interesting to me. So  for the sake of this thread, let’s say Arthur Pendragon is my favorite royal. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 4

• 1 year later...

Not sure where to put this (and not sure it deserves it’s own thread), but has anyone been following Princess Charlene of Monaco’s health crises and extended stay in South Africa? It’s so bizarre. I understand not wanting to fly home if your ears are hurting, but there wasn’t even a luxury yacht she could take back to Monaco? She’s basically been away from home/her children from March to October. People magazine mentioned her children going to visit her in July, and maybe there have been more trips they’ve kept under the radar, but the whole situation just seems…odd…

• Upvote 4

Honestly, @DalmatianCat, it’s so bizarre it could have its own thread! She had surgery in South Africa, but then was banned from flying. I don’t know why she didn’t take a boat. Her family was there in September, and immediate after, she was readmitted to the hospital. Their marriage has always struck me as strange. This is not helping the rumors of problems in their marriage!

• Upvote 5

I call She don’t want to go back because  the marriage is flat lined. The Kids namely the heir will stay with Albert.  

It’s been to many months with to many excuses for it to be anything else and Heaven   knows the Monegasque Princely family has not exactly been the model of stable  relationships or family bliss for many many years.  

The whole situation is bizarre. Their marriage has been odd from the start - she tried to flee a couple of times before the wedding or something. I do think it's more than just marital issues, she looks so sick. I'm sure there are more health issues than they've disclosed. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I think it’s both. The marriage was strange from the start, but if you look at the pictures I also believe she is seriously ill. No way that was just a minor operation.
What I don’t get, even if she had to had immediate treatment and couldn’t fly for some time, they could have either addressed that she is SERIOUSLY ill and cannot be moved, because otherwise I think it’s strange why she didn’t travel to Europe by sea and gets treatment there. Her children could see her so much more often and with their wealth it really doesn’t matter where she is, she would have the best of the best. 
She looked better in her newest picture and I wish her all the best. But I am most sorry for those poor children. Having a mother FAR away and her being extremely ill must be terrifying.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, viii said:

The whole situation is bizarre. Their marriage has been odd from the start - she tried to flee a couple of times before the wedding or something. I do think it's more than just marital issues, she looks so sick. I'm sure there are more health issues than they've disclosed. 

Yeah, their marriage has always seemed weird (and this is 2021…a royal divorce for an incredibly minor royal wouldn’t be a scandal). But if she’s more ill than just the respiratory issues, I don’t understand all the cloak-and-dagger-secrecy and why she wouldn’t want to be closer to her children. It’s just so odd.

• Upvote 2

The old chestnut that every single mother will automatically sacrifice their own happiness and freedom for their children or even yearn to be near them is sadly easily disproven. Most of the time There are a lot of complicated reasons/factors  and It’s not a judgment or condemnation but it is  a fact. 

• 5 months later...

Not sure where else to put this since she doesn’t have her own thread, but I enjoyed this article about Sophie (Countess of Wessex):

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/03/countess-sophie-new-york-trip-afghanistan-speech/amp

Apparently she made a quick trip to NYC and managed to advocate for women in Afghanistan, child safety online, and plant a tree.

I’ve been a fan of hers since her engagement and remember cutting out newspaper articles about the wedding for my royals scrapbook 😂

She’s not in the press much, so I was happy to stumble across this article and see that she’s still advocating for good and from the picture looked charming and happy as well.

• Love 1

Sophie Wessex is a lovely woman both inside and out and Edward and the Windsors really lucked out with her. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 5

Not that I have followed any royal family particularly thoroughly, but from skim-reading, I’d say my favourite is Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck. King of Bhutan. The country has a gross happiness index (started by his father and continued by him) and he seems to be very hands on involved in many truely helpful things in his country. 

• Upvote 3

• 8 months later...

Not sure where else to put this…

What happened to/who owns the tiara Princess Margaret wore to her wedding? Did to go to her daughter (or son), or does it belong to the crown?

17 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

Not sure where else to put this…

What happened to/who owns the tiara Princess Margaret wore to her wedding? Did to go to her daughter (or son), or does it belong to the crown?

After her death in 2002, her children sold the Poltimore Tiara to a private bidder to help pay for her estate settlement, I believe. It's whereabouts are currently unknown. 

• Thank You 2

On 4/3/2022 at 12:02 PM, DalmatianCat said:

Not sure where else to put this since she doesn’t have her own thread, but I enjoyed this article about Sophie (Countess of Wessex):

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/03/countess-sophie-new-york-trip-afghanistan-speech/amp

Apparently she made a quick trip to NYC and managed to advocate for women in Afghanistan, child safety online, and plant a tree.

I’ve been a fan of hers since her engagement and remember cutting out newspaper articles about the wedding for my royals scrapbook 😂

She’s not in the press much, so I was happy to stumble across this article and see that she’s still advocating for good and from the picture looked charming and happy as well.

She planted a rosemary bush in the Queen Elizabeth garden (a great photo op).

download-3.jpg.e6b5a7637ccad902fd3e8e8e8d4b5f4b.jpg

She gave a six-minute speech (6!) "100 Women in Finance Next Generation Initiative." (they encourage women to consider finance careers)

She attended another party for the the United Nations' Vision for Everyone Resolution. The resolution sounds important, Sophie's attendance at the party seems less so.

She met with the St. George's society (they support New Yorkers with British heritage--apparently a disenfranchised population?)

She gave a speech at the UN, about which there is no information online.

Exactly who has been helped by any of these things?

• Fuck You 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sophie and Edward took on so many royal appearances while William and Harry were growing old enough to take on some of the load.  They formed really close friendships with the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Spanish young royals; I read once that they had all rented a lodge and spent a few days together relaxing.  I'm sure it was on Sartorial Splendor.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

Sophie and Edward took on so many royal appearances while William and Harry were growing old enough to take on some of the load.  They formed really close friendships with the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Spanish young royals; I read once that they had all rented a lodge and spent a few days together relaxing.  I'm sure it was on Sartorial Splendor.

Take on the load? They aren't surgeons with a backlog of sick patients. They are promoting the Commonwealth so they can stay in power. 

• Fuck You 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2