IGNORED

DIVORCED! Mike Pearl's daughter, Shoshanna Pearl Easling, gets legally married

hoipolloi

Looks like Daddy Mike's bullshit about his daughters not "yoking themselves to the government" has now gone out the window.

According to her public IG account, Shoshanna & husband James have married legally:

Edited by nelliebelle1197
Thread title edited to reflect DIVORCE!
  • Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 14

I remember seeing the Pearls (parents) and some of their adult kids/spouses at a conference back in the day. I've never seen so much public display of affection. They had their hands all over each other. 

So Mike was there at the "3rd" wedding.  Hmm... is he changing his ways?

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Wait, I'm so confused. I don't really know who the Pearls are except that they wrote child abuse books that I feel like everyone follows (the Maxwells? the Duggars? the Rods? I think the Andersons don't?) - I am surprised at what she is wearing and that other fundies are okay with this! (No judgement from ME, just, I feel like Jill R in particular would have something nasty to say and Steve M would faint.)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Might this affect their prior tax returns?

No idea but I kind of hope so! Looking at common law marriage and tax information on wikipedia it looks like it is entirely possible that it does - Tennessee has never recognised common law marriage and so filing a return as a married couple would be illegal as far as I can tell (disclaimer: I am in no way a tax expert in any country, nor an accountant nor any kind of lawyer.) 

It would certainly explain the reactions of the lawyer and financial planner who were both probably frantically working out the possible penalties for any false claims.

Edited by Ozlsn
Wikipedia
  • Upvote 15
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, meee said:

I feel like Jill R in particular would have something nasty

I was just thinking that Jill R. is probably judging the hell out of that outfit and calling up her children to scream at them about how ungodly even the good Christians are dressing now day. 

Their first "marriage" sounds like it came about because they wanted to have sex. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 21
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I was just thinking that Jill R. is probably judging the hell out of that outfit and calling up her children to scream at them about how ungodly even the good Christians are dressing now day. 

Their first "marriage" sounds like it came about because they wanted to have sex. 

YUUUUUP. And a quick 6 weeks *cough cough missed period scare* later, a 'wedding' in front of the family.

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, meee said:

Wait, I'm so confused. I don't really know who the Pearls are except that they wrote child abuse books that I feel like everyone follows (the Maxwells? the Duggars? the Rods? I think the Andersons don't?) - I am surprised at what she is wearing and that other fundies are okay with this! (No judgement from ME, just, I feel like Jill R in particular would have something nasty to say and Steve M would faint.)

The Pearls are pretty different from a lot of the fundies we talk about. Michael Pearl has made some declarations that go completely against the beliefs of the Maxwells. 

Michael Pearl also has a divorced son. 

55 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I think Jill would only allow her children to stay with Michael and Debi. Jill will interact with anyone and then talk about them behind their backs later. But she wouldn’t let her perfect daughters to be influenced by the likes of Shoshanna. No matter how well she did with Plexus. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

Interesting.  If they're at the lawyers/financial planners stage, they might now realize that there are benefits that accrue only to legally married couples.  

From TurboTax: The IRS only allows a couple to file as Married Filing Jointly on their tax return, if the state they reside in recognizes the relationship as a legal marriage; unmarried couples are never eligible to file joint returns.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, meee said:

Michael and Debi Pearl and No Greater Joy Ministries are very big fish indeed.  We don't talk about them much these days, I'm not sure why.  Perhaps it's because we assume everyone knows who they are.   They have never been Gothardite, that's for sure. He's as Christian Patriarchal as they come though.

You will also see Debi's book, "Created to be his Helpmeet," referenced by people like the Duggars.  It is a poisonous how-to book on how women must adapt to their man and never contradict him in any way.

Steve Maxwell and Michael Pearl don't like each other.  They are competitors, in a way, with Pearl winning by a mile.  Pearl is fine with higher education.  Pearl disagrees with Steve's excessive sheltering, and Steve much prefers emotional abuse to physical abuse while training up children.

5 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Shoshanna & husband James have married legally

Didn't Gabriel Pearl marry Lori legally as well as Biblically too, otherwise they wouldn't have needed a divorce.  Or did Mike only insist on no ebil marriage licenses for the daughters?  I'm amused that Gabe and Lori's marriage and divorce has been shoved right under the NGJ rug never to be mentioned again.  Gabriel is now remarried to Elizabeth and reproducing.

Shalom and Justin and Shoshanna and James have seemed pretty mainstream for a while now.  Nathan and Gabriel may do the odd "mission" trip to the Philippines delivering Bibles but that is it. It is unclear how much they are involved with NGJ but they aren't exactly great church leaders. 

I've missed hating on Gabe Anast and pitying Rebekah after the demise of 7X Sunday.  They seem to be back on the grid with running water, electricity, and a publishing company these days.  I expect he still has an underground equivalent to 7X Sunday.

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I'm not sure what Jill Rod would be more shocked by - the nakedness of Shoshanna's upper chestal region or the nakedness of her face!

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

I rode a horse bareback wild like an Indian around the hill. 

Really??

• Upvote 22
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Really??

I think the Pearls claim Native American heritage.  At one point Gabe and Rebekah Anast were living on a Navajo reservation, possibly illegally because it got them sued.

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I've missed hating on Gabe Anast and pitying Rebekah after the demise of 7X Sunday.  They seem to be back on the grid with running water, electricity, and a publishing company these days.  I expect he still has an underground equivalent to 7X Sunday.

Oooooh, links to this info?  They seem to have gone underground quite awhile ago; no blog posts or anything else that I can find.  

• Upvote 2

I am not aware that Gabriel ever legally married his first wife. At the time of their split it was speculated that part of why he did not even apparently get visitation rights was because they were never legally married.

The Pearls are considered Fundie Demi-gods. They do not follow anyone else, they are equals to Gotthard, Dougie, Botkins et al. They have run their own multimillion dollar ministry for at least 30 years or more. And while not talked about here as much anymore, they are very much as active as they have always been in the homeschooling, fundamentalist world.

And 14 years ago when he admitted his kids did not participate in the same paper as the Sodomites, many of us said that wasn’t going to last long term.

The Pearls still have very extensive hands in the pies. Shoshanna May be the face and public owner of her herb story but unless she bought them out at some point, her mother was 50% owner of her business.

They have worked to have their children step up publically but they are still very much in control. They have enough influence and following Zsusanna Anderson just reviewed TTUAC this spring for the first time.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

I think the Pearls claim Native American heritage.  At one point Gabe and Rebekah Anast were living on a Navajo reservation, possibly illegally because it got them sued.

For the most part, every surface and subsurface drop of water in New Mexico is ajudicated, with prior water rights in certain areas going back to the 1600s.    

I just did some investigating. In 2008, the Anasts were sued by the Feds and State of New Mexico, with the Navajo Nation and the Zuni Tribe as the plaintiffs, over water use in the Zuni River basin. 

However, identical default motions were entered on 03/02/09 for 30 for so people; all the default motions (including the Anasts) are listed on the Zuni River Basin Water Rights Adjudication web site here.  The default motions limit well water use to 0.7 acre feet annually (about 230,00 gallons) for each household. 

I'm going to use the coordinates in the lawsuit to figure out ballpark where they live. Not precisely, because I'm not stalkerish that way, but Gallup and that general area along the Zuni River are fascinating. 

ETA:  Think I've got this sorted out.  This has nothing to do with illegal wells or illegal water use, and I've edited my original post to reflect this. 

The lawsuit was part of a larger Indian Water Rights Settlement, which you can read about in this report (pdf) generated by the Congressional Research Bureau.  The first page summarizes the history and issues surrounding Native water rights and page 11 notes that the Zuni and Navajo tribes have completed the adjudication process. 

I'm going to research more, but these default motions apparently clarify the water amount ajudicated to each non-reservation household, but drawing water from the Zuni River basin.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Exactly! It’s not like they got married and then waited another 6 weeks to consummate it.

Edited by Mrs. Bean
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

IIRC Debi does. It might be in her Help!!!meet book. I can’t remember much about that reading experience, other than I threw it across the room in anger several times, and in revulsion several times mire. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

As I recall (it’s been a long time, mercifully), “Created to Be His Helpmeet” could be subtitled “How to live happily with Stockholm Syndrome”.

• Upvote 21
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm amused that Gabe and Lori's marriage and divorce has been shoved right under the NGJ rug never to be mentioned again.  Gabriel is now remarried to Elizabeth and reproducing.

Yep, his divorce is WAY under the rug, judging from this recently revised family update:

Gabriel Pearl.png

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chaotic life said:

At the time of their split it was speculated that part of why he did not even apparently get visitation rights was because they were never legally married.

Possibly.  There was a custody battle and I remember that as speculation.  Lori moved to Ohio and got primary custody.  He does have visitation because there were photos of the kids with him on Facebook at one point.  We did have an insider come here to say that Lori had filed a Protective Order against Gabriel due to abuse and that is why she got primary custody.  I don't remember if that story checked out, but this is the Pearls we are talking about.

2 hours ago, chaotic life said:

They have enough influence and following Zsusanna Anderson just reviewed TTUAC this spring for the first time.

When Zsusanna Anderson sees red flags and gives a book a negative review you know it is bad! 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

8 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Yep, his divorce is WAY under the rug, judging from this recently revised family update:

Gabriel Pearl.png

Heh, I bet they decided wife #1 wasn't really, you know, SAVED, so they mentally annulled that marriage.  See how easy?  Another advantage to a "contract" marriage! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

RED ALERT: Go watch the stories on that instagram and you will not be disappointed. Michael Pearl in shorts and a suit jacket. Bizarre outfits a go-go. It's amazing.

Anywhoo, total bitch eating crackers, here, but that song is called 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You." Seems weird not to know the real name to your first dance song.

In any case, I find it hypocritical that they felt like they were too good for a state contract until it cost them money. 

P.S. Do we know where these two live? That bridge is nauseatingly familiar. :pb_confused:

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Statistically when abuse is involved the abuser nearly always wins most or full custody unless either he does not fight for custody or there was no legal marriage. Not saying that is the case here but knowing what I know about the impact of DV on custody and the reality being the exact opposite the of what lay wisdom believes it to be, my personal educated guess would be that there was no legal marriage. Ohio has strong father’s rights laws that would allow a custody battle even in the absence of a legal marriage.

I find it deeply disrupting he not only married an ex Amish wife but they felt the need to declare it. Odds she will escape is significantly less than the first wife. She has been groomed from birth for submission and abuse.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

There was a custody battle and I remember that as speculation.  Lori moved to Ohio and got primary custody.

A local informant from OH came to FJ a couple of years ago with more specific information on the ugly end to Gabe's & Lori's partnership. There is a lot more on the Pearls in that topic, including links.

Speaking of the Anasts, a recent google search suggests that they may have relocated from NM to Michigan's UP.

And Rebekah now has a new nom de plume, Rebekah Rising, along with yet another website.

ETA: Also looks like Michael Pearl may have told a second lie when he boasted about his kids some years ago:

Those of you who think I am too hard, too protective, and too distrusting, keep in mind that all my children are grown and married now. They have demonstrated themselves to be solid citizens and emotionally stable. They all came to marriage as virgins and are now happily married. They will never divorce. We are delighted with them, and they are delighted with us. What more could you want in this life? Their memories of life with us are not measured by the things we didn’t allow them to do, but by the many activities that we did with them. We kept their lives full of fun and creativity. They had friends and spent time with them, under controlled circumstances. [Emphasis on Mike's lies added]

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 7

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Oooooh, links to this info?  They seem to have gone underground quite awhile ago; no blog posts or anything else that I can find.  

Rebekah went off social media in 2014ish to finish her latest books but she's back as Rebekah Rising.  Gabe took down the Birthright media webpage comparatively recently.  It was still listed as a valid business in Gallup, NM last time I looked.

Just now, hoipolloi said:

Speaking of the Anasts, a recent google effort suggests that they may have relocated from NM to Michigan's UP.

And Rebekah now has a new nom de plume, Rebekah Rising, along with yet another website.

Thank you so much.  You saved me much slow typing and incompetent linking.  I was in the process of answering that post when you posted. :D 

• Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 changed the title to DIVORCED! Mike Pearl's daughter, Shoshanna Pearl Easling, gets legally married
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic