• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Rachel333

Thai boys stuck in cave

nausicaa
6 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Wow, Elon Musk is pathetic. He called the British diver who criticized him "pedo guy."

Is he going to stage a cave rescue of his own?

What is wrong with him?

Good God, Grimes needs to tell that dude to log off. 

I always thought he was arrogant, but now see he's a full blown petulant douche bag.

I'm not surprised he donated to a lot of Republican PACs, and I don't even think it necessarily means he's a Republican. It's common for wealthy people to donate to both parties so that no matter who wins, they have some influence. 

Howl
9 hours ago, LiterallyBananas said:

Those caves aren't far from where I'm located. I wonder why they have such a high occurance of histoplasmosis. Also, any theories as to why you and fellow cavers tested positive to exposure but never became symptomatic, but the boy scouts did? (Other than it sounds like you didn't go to the Histo Cave.)

There were hundreds of people tromping through the Thai cave entrance, disturbing the ground and stirring up fungal spores.  Histoplasmosis thrives in bird and bat droppings and likely both are present in the cave entrance area. 

I suspect that I developed immunity over time, with numerous, but very limited, exposures.   I'm trying to remember what they told us about lifetime immunity.  I think with histoplasmosis, one can become ill again with sufficient exposure, but likely to not become as ill. 

The Boy Scouts likely had no immunity from any previous exposure, and probably got in there and stirred up a bunch of bat guano and dust and inhaled massive amounts of histo  spores.  As a side note, I came across some research that pointed to the possibility of histoplasmosis being present in the guano of certain species of bats and not with other species. 

Dizzy
ViolaSebastian

Howl

I wish we could get more information about the local impact of thousands of people suddenly showing up in the area around the cave as well as other unintended consequences.   One of the most recent articles that I posted noted that the incredible volume of water pumped out of the cave flooded many rice fields downstream, destroying this years rice crops for many farmers. 

Change of topic: Elon Musk may well feel that his wealth and power will insulate him from blowback resulting from his ugly tweets.  But no one who read one of those tweets will ever, ever forget.  You can hire all the PR damage control firms in the world, and it still won't help.  This will follow him forever. 

Waffle Time
mango_fandango

Ugh. Elon Musk is a right twat. As soon as I saw that he was there with a submarine I thought it sounded like a PR stunt. These über-rich types are so used to being told how they’re God’s gift to mankind that as soon as anyone criticises them, they get all whiny and defensive. See: Orange Twat.

Edited by mango_fandango
duplicate post

HarryPotterFan
4 hours ago, Howl said:

Change of topic: Elon Musk may well feel that his wealth and power will insulate him from blowback resulting from his ugly tweets.  But no one who read one of those tweets will ever, ever forget.  You can hire all the PR damage control firms in the world, and it still won't help.  This will follow him forever. 

True, but I doubt he learned anything. He’s still a billionaire with multiple companies and knows he’s a genius. I can’t imagine this would affect him financially, and he can still pretty much hire all the brilliant minds he wants.

Heck, the owner of Papa John’s said worse and wasn’t ousted until he actually used the n-word. Everyone knew he was an asshole before that. Even now he’s still a partial owner of the franchise. If Elon Musk somehow got kicked off the board of his companies he’d just create new ones. He’s a genius billionaire. I’m not sure what the Papa John’s dude will do since he can’t even make pizza. 

Musk also said he’d resolve the Flint water crisis, so I wonder how he’ll do on that. This whole thing makes me doubt he’ll actually talk to the Flint experts and people on the ground. He probably figures his own knowledge and employee knowledge on water contamination is enough, so why bother learning about particular challenges of replacing an entire city’s plumbing and how it’s affected people’s lives...

He’s like Iron Man, if Iron Man had a bigger ego and used his suit just to fly around and show off instead of saving the world. Or if when the aliens invaded, Iron Man took off the suit, handed it to someone else, and hopped on a private jet to get away while tweeting about the bravery of th Avengers. And then tried to invent a robot to clean up the city after the Avengers accidentally destroyed it in battle, rather than giving a large donation to help pay for the damages and paying wages of city workers. (I think the anaology got off track here...)