IGNORED

Thai boys stuck in cave

Rachel333

Oh man, I can't stand Elon Musk. He has done absolutely nothing but is getting a ton of praise anyway.

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Oh man, I can't stand Elon Musk. He has done absolutely nothing but is getting a ton of praise anyway.

I didn't have much of an opinion on him before all this, but now I see him as an opportunist and a man whose trying to profiteer off potential tragedy. Probably not what he was going for. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

If this was the first time he did something like this Inwould agree, but he has inserted himself in problems before to offer solutions. Like the blackouts in Australia or the post huricane issues in Peurto RICO. He seems to have a genuine interest in helping. He normally has good follow through and ends up helping. Here I do think he probably built the tiny submarine and talked with the Thai authorities. They just had lucky weather and were able to get them out in more traditional ways. 

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

From some of the reports I’ve read, they’ve also mildly sedated the boys, which makes sense. Panicking under those conditions could be deadly. 

I was wondering if that might be an option. A small dose of certain sedatives would probably keep them alert enough to dive while taking the edge off any panic reactions.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

There are Americans there.  But none of them are named Trump and Trump has absolutely nothing to do with the rescue efforts.  He'll still manage to give himself credit for any successful rescues, though.  Narcissistic pig. 

I'm trying to just be grateful that he's not in Thailand disrupting the rescue efforts, but I certainly wouldn't object to someone taping his mouth shut and stealing his phone.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

(snip) I certainly wouldn't object to someone taping his mouth shut and stealing his phone.

Isn't that the dream?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

32 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

I'm trying to just be grateful that he's not in Thailand disrupting the rescue efforts, but I certainly wouldn't object to someone taping his mouth shut and stealing his phone.

He never goes anywhere himself, he sends skilled people.  He wasnt helpful this time (so far) but I appreciate his desire to actually help rather than others who just tweet.

• Upvote 3

I don't think that the coach is necessarily at fault.  It does sound like he is more concerned about the boys than his own welfare.

Several years ago, I don't remember exactly when, but there was some issue with a child that was getting nationwide coverage. I remember my daughter asking why we were so concerned about a child that we didn't even know. The way I explained it to her still fits:  they become everyone's children in situations like this, because they could easily be any of our children.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

From what I gathered, they are being led out in teams. They sedate them, give each  teenager a full face mask so they can breathe normally (none of the kids know how to swim) and basically pull them along. The diver in front carries the oxygen tank for the teen, and one person behind him. It looks like they are set up to do it in pairs. 

Conflicting reports about strongest vs weakest. It makes sense to bring out the strongest first as a sort of test run, then the weakest. They aren't even allowed to see their parents yet, being kept in quarantine in case of cave infections. 

I'm wondering if they have a separate system in place for the coach. From what I gathered, he's the weakest person down there. Plus they have been able to do four a day and there are five people left. 

Here's the video of when they were found 

9 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Well, the Prime Minister of Thailand didn't go as to not disrupt rescue efforts. Trump really could use that level of self awareness. His stupid weekend getaways are seriously harming the people who work and run businesses out of Lantana Airport. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

Those brave boys. I hope the rest of the boys and the coach make it out, and they all recover fully.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 5

27 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm wondering if they have a separate system in place for the coach. From what I gathered, he's the weakest person down there. Plus they have been able to do four a day and there are five people left. 

Last night they had said they planned on brining the last 5 out tonight so they can end the rescue. I doubt they would try to carry on longer, since every day they are at risk for more flooding. It is a changing situation though so I am sure a lot of it is a judgement call made by the team at the actual moment. Thankfully the rescues have been going significantly faster than they had planned for in the drills. So that is good. I know I would worried last night after the 5th boy came out since they had said they were pulling them in pairs and there was a large break between 4 and 5&6, My daughter and I were both glued to the TV and worried. I was very relieved when #8 was pulled since we knew they were attempting to get 4 out yesterday and they were able to get all 4 of them. 

• Upvote 8

Must have someone to blame hey. Never mind that these kids own parents dont blame him because the rest of the world obviously is going to. At the end of the day we can say, well that was a stupid decision but we dont live in Thailand with access to caves in unseasonable weather so our decision making process would be different. Ultimately though, he did nothing wrong, nothing illegal, nothing others before him haven't done - it ended up terribly but it happens. By all accounts he has done everything he can to protect these boys and keep them safe. If it so dangerous then it shouldn't be accessible full stop, in any season.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

Not gonna lie I saw AP News tweet and felt sick but luckily they are in good spirits and just need a week at least physically to recover:

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

It makes sense to bring out the strongest first as a sort of test run, then the weakest.

For the Chilean minors the first few brought up were the strongest, physically and mentally. They wanted people who could give them an accurate assessment of who was the weakest. Then they rescued the minors weakest to strongest. 

Doesn't really apply here since I think the rescuers can see the boys in person, but I thought it was interesting.

• Upvote 6

The 3rd phase has begun about an hour ago, so hopefully the next group will start coming out in 5-6 hours. After the 5 are rescued the remaining rescuers will still need to exit the cave It isn't clear if they too will be attempting to come out tonight or if they will wait until tomorrow.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

The 3rd phase has begun about an hour ago, so hopefully the next group will start coming out in 5-6 hours. After the 5 are rescued the remaining rescuers will still need to exit the cave It isn't clear if they too will be attempting to come out tonight or if they will wait until tomorrow.

BBC says that they want to get everyone out at the same time. My guess is that they will hold everyone in chamber 3 and exit together. There are also several SeALS and a doctor who need to exit as well.

• Upvote 4

While we wait for good news, here's an article about one of the kids trapped in the cave - the only among them who could speak English, Adul Sam-on. https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thai-cave-rescue-stateless-teen-adul-sam-on-the-only-english-speaker-among-those

Another incredible life story coming from this situation. Born in Myanmar, he's among Thai's stateless people, meaning he has no ID, no birth certificate, nothing. He was taken in by a Christian Church in Thailand, he's getting his education far away from his family. Only 14, already speaks Thai, Chinese, Burmese and English. Amazing boy.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 11

I can't sleep, I'm so anxious about the other rescues that still need to happen. 

It's incredible nine of the boys have made it out. I hope the coach won't be left by himself.

• Upvote 7

The 10th boy has been rescued. 

And the coach wouldn't be left alone, there are 3 divers and a doctor in the cave too and they will be coming out last

• Upvote 8

23 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

The 10th boy has been rescued. 

And the coach wouldn't be left alone, there are 3 divers and a doctor in the cave too and they will be coming out last

Good to know. I hate even thinking if someone was left behind all alone even for a short time in that cave.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

The eleventh boy has been rescued from the Thai cave, according to someone who is part of the rescue operations. One boy and the coach remain inside.

• Upvote 4

Everything I've heard from my Thai friends seems to be true - the boys went to the cave on their own, their parents were worried after they did not come back, they told Ek about it and he went to look for them. Finding their things near the entrance of the cave, he knew they came in. He went in to bring them out and it seems they wandered deeper inside than expected. Then the monsoon came down and trapped all of them in.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/world/thai-cave-rescue-how-the-cave-nightmare-began-ng-b88889337z

• Upvote 8
  • Love 6

CBS REPORTS THAT ALL THE BOYS AND THE COACH HAVE BEEN RESCUED! I'm so thankful to everyone involved in the rescue mission, those people are heroes! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 24