IGNORED

Thai boys stuck in cave

Rachel333

Anyone else been following this story? A boys soccer team and their coach have been stuck in a cave for 13 days. There is an international team of rescuers trying to figure out how to get them out but they could be stuck there for a long time. Sadly news came out today that one of the rescuers died from lack of oxygen. http://www.businessinsider.com/former-navy-seal-rescuing-thai-soccer-team-trapped-in-cave-dies-2018-7/

Here's a diagram of the cave:

how-far-thai-boys-soccer-team-cave.png

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2

Yes!!  I was hoping they wouldn’t lose any of the rescue team, but I’m not surprised they have.  Cave diving is especially dangerous.

• Upvote 6

More information about the cave here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/jul/03/thailand-cave-rescue-where-were-the-boys-found-and-how-can-they-be-rescued

And pictures here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2018/jul/03/missing-boys-found-alive-thai-cave-rescue-in-pictures

I can't imagine what their parents are going through, though after 9 days of not even knowing where the boys were they must be so happy just to know they're alive.

I also just saw that Elon Musk has sent a team of engineers to help: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/07/06/elon-musk-offers-help-thailands-government-cave-rescue/

• Upvote 10

It's heartbreaking, I am praying that they get out safely.  It is a very sad, risky situation for them to be in.  I had not heard that a rescuer died.

• Upvote 2

I've been following this. Just read today that they're afraid they might be running out of oxygen in the cave so it's pretty urgent with the rescue. But I imagine that a dive rescue would be very risky with  weakened youngsters who may or may not be able to swim and never dived before, in circumstances that are risky for professional divers. 

• Upvote 7

It is very unfortunate that they are in this situation and I hope they get out alive.  One question should be why they went in the caves in the first place though... Particularly during monsoon season (or close to the start of it).  The caves are apparently known as being dangerous.

• Upvote 8

That was my question as well after seeing the picture, it's so long and winded. Then again I'm claustrophobic and would never want to go anyway.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

It is very unfortunate that they are in this situation and I hope they get out alive.  One question should be why they went in the caves in the first place though... Particularly during monsoon season (or close to the start of it).  The caves are apparently known as being dangerous.

Not making excuses for their stupid decision, but I heard that they likely went in only a very short way where they possibly could even still see the entrance and then the unpredictable flood waters kept forcing them further and further into the cave system over the course of the 9 days until they were found. Of course entering any cave at all is incredibly dangerous but many people, including older adults who should know better, do not understand that any entrance into a cave like that, even when you can clearly see where you came in, can go badly very quickly.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

@Aine That's what I read happened as well. They obviously shouldn't have gone into the cave at all, but once they did I can definitely understand how it escalated to their current situation. It's kind of amazing they were found at all.

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 10

I saw a new report last night that they went into the cave as some form of a team initiation.  They wade to the back of the cave and write their names on a wall.  The water rose quickly and they were forced back to where they are now.   None of them can swim.

Its not looking good.  One suggestion was that they get them inflatables to get them up off the water, pump in o2, and wait out the monsoon season... which is months... 

• Sad 7

They are Preteen boys  who don’t exhibit caution and common sense as a rule. The adult coach is the one to blame for this nightmare.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

8 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

They are Preteen boys  who don’t exhibit caution and common sense as a rule. The adult coach is the one to blame for this nightmare.

And even he is only 25

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

Apparently FIFA have offered them seats at the World Cup final. Somehow I don’t think this will happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 3

I have been following this from the beginning.  That coach is very foolhardy, those poor kids and parents.  Now a Thai Navy Seal has died.  Tragic.  Hope they all get out in time and alive!

• Upvote 8

We are victim blaming?  These are children!  The adult is 25 and probably thought 'hey fun time!'  not - oh hey let me go kill my team of kids!  Is that like  'well, she shouldn't have worn that or been there and she wouldn't have been raped!'.   I realize its the easy way out 'my kid would never be in that situation because!'   Shit happens.  The adult wanted to give the kids an experience others have had.   No reason to blame anyone.  Just get them all out....my heart goes out to the diver's family.   Hope he is the only casualty.  :tw_cold_sweat:

• Upvote 17
  • Downvote 3
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

Yeah, I think blame is useless at this point. I can't imagine how awful that coach must feel.

• Upvote 21

5 minutes ago, SweetLaurel said:

We are victim blaming?  These are children!  The adult is 25 and probably thought 'hey fun time!'  not - oh hey let me go kill my team of kids!  Is that like  'well, she shouldn't have worn that or been there and she wouldn't have been raped!'.   I realize its the easy way out 'my kid would never be in that situation because!'   Shit happens.  The adult wanted to give the kids an experience others have had.   No reason to blame anyone.  Just get them all out....my heart goes out to the diver's family.   Hope he is the only casualty.  :tw_cold_sweat:

I don't think the rape thing is totally analogous considering rape is something someone else chooses to do to another and this was nature taking its course after a risky decision.

That being said, I don't 'blame' the kids or even the coach- it was a stupid and risky decision and it has had awful consequences but my heart definitely goes out to all of them that are trapped and their families and the rescue teams. If it was a team initiation, I also have to wonder how many teams have done this before with no consequences? They may have understood that going further into the caves was dangerous but the whole "all those before you have done this and nothing has ever happened to them before" is unfortunately a very convincing reason for many otherwise reasonable adults and definitely for teenage boys even though it is faulty logic. Even very smart humans sometimes make really dumb mistakes or take stupid risks when in a group of people and when presented with reasoning that would make them 'prove themselves' or 'fit in'. :( 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, Aine said:

don't think the rape thing is totally analogous considering rape is something someone else chooses to do to another and this was nature taking its course after a risky decision.

I agree - you are right.    I realize people saying 'wtf were they doing down there' are worried about their kids and making 'sure' theirs wouldn't go into the same scenario by blaming.  I just meant - OMG those poor kids and good for that 25 year old kid keeping all of them alive for ten days.  Can you imagine?   He didn't mean to strand them.  He more than likely thought 'fun time!' and he'd probably been there before.  

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

I read that the cave is a popular spot for teens to explore, and that there's a sign warning people not to enter from July to October but it was still June when the team entered. 

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 11

41 minutes ago, SweetLaurel said:

OMG those poor kids and good for that 25 year old kid keeping all of them alive for ten days. 

Is a 25 year old really a kid? 25 year olds get married, have kids, hold down professional jobs, and obtain masters degrees. Hell, your insurance rates go down at 25 because you're considered more mature and capable of reflection.

I'm sure he feels terrible and didn't do any of this purposely, but I still look at that diagram and wonder why on earth he would have them descend that steepest drop in the middle. Especially when it had been raining and during monsoon season. It would be different if it were just him, but he was taking a lot of children with him. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

WaPo essay relative to the Thai cave situation, written by a fellow member of the caving community: 

When things go wrong in caves

One thing that really triggered my concern was a mention of strong currents in at least some parts of the cave, making a horribly complicated rescue even more difficult.  If they are running low on oxygen where they are, that's an indication that there is not another entrance into that part of the cave system. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Aine said:

Not making excuses for their stupid decision, but I heard that they likely went in only a very short way where they possibly could even still see the entrance and then the unpredictable flood waters kept forcing them further and further into the cave system over the course of the 9 days until they were found. Of course entering any cave at all is incredibly dangerous but many people, including older adults who should know better, do not understand that any entrance into a cave like that, even when you can clearly see where you came in, can go badly very quickly.

That sounds true and from what I‘ve heard, it wasn’t even  raining when they entered the cave. But a few minutes into their adventure, they were suddenly faced with water gushing in. While it was reckless to enter, that’s always easier to see from hindsight. I wouldn’t put blame on the kids if the coach. He wanted to spend time with them and seemed to go beyond coaching soccer and generally, that’s admirable.  

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 9

I just read the coach is one of the 2 or 3 in not so good shape.  He was giving the boys his ration of food.  The diver that died will get a funeral from the King and the King will take care of his family.  So sad.  I was so excited when they were found.  Now, I'm really scared for them all.  Apparently,  these caves are like a novice climbing Mount Everest said a professional cave diver helping.  

Edited by Beermeet
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 6