IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace Engaged 2: Planes, petals, and proposals

Georgiana

37 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I wonder if JD and Abbie will go double barrled for me right now my guesses are Lily-Grace  or Julie-Marie for boys it's John-Cole or David-James 

I really hope they don’t go with John for a first name. Abbie’s dad and brother are John. Her brother goes by John Clay. That’s really close to John Cole. It would be less confusing if they used John as a middle name. 

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

Yeah, I think Jessa is going to announce number three around the end of the year if she does announce a pregnancy. I can see Jill being the first to announce before then though so she can get her time and then Lauren around the same time as Jessa. Abbie will probably be the first Duggar to announce a pregnancy in 2019.   

I think Lauren will probably announce a pregnancy in September or October. 

I can't help but to be happy for them. It's great to see John so genuinely happy. 

14 minutes ago, 3splenty said:

Here, even a CNA has to do a college course.

It may have to do with the definition of college.  Many community colleges offer LPN and CNA programs, however, they aren't the only places that can offer the programs.  Private technical/vocational training schools can also offer the programs.

After the awkwardness of SiRens courtship, engagement, and wedding it’s nice to see a Duggar couple that seems to like each other and are comfortable together.

JD never looked happier than with Abbie tbh. 

Congrats to JD and Abbie! They look comfortable together, happy and not awkward at all. 

I sincerely hope they have had time to get to know each other. I wouldn't be surprised if they were given a little bit more freedom then the other couples. I can see it, because they're both a little older then the other couples when they got married and Abbie at least had a job and presumably spent time in school to get her LPN license. I don't know what her parents are like outside of being super fundie but maybe they aren't super worked up about chaperones. I guess we'll see what the deal is eventually.

Also, it's weird to refer to them as 'older' because Abbie is only a few weeks younger then me and my finance is a roughly a year older then JD. Honestly, I think the lack of awkwardness from JD and Abbie compared to Josiah+Lauren, Jessa and Ben when they first got married, Jill+Wreck etc.. can be attributed to age and a little bit more maturity when getting engaged.

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

And WOW, not one "God laid it in our hearts..." or "Abbie has a precious love for the Lord..." or "Lord-willing" or even "We're grateful to the Lord." A blessing!

It highlights just how little the other couples seem to know about each other when they get engaged. Sure, some of it may be to emphasize the godliness of their future spouses, but a lot of it is probably just relying on the script because they haven’t developed a rapport yet and don’t know what to say. However, John David and Abbie seem happy and comfortable with one another. They genuinely appear to be in love and it’s refreshing.

2 minutes ago, BlondeIdol said:

Also, it's weird to refer to them as 'older' because Abbie is only a few weeks younger then me and my finance is a roughly a year older then JD. Honestly, I think the lack of awkwardness from JD and Abbie compared to Josiah+Lauren, Jessa and Ben when they first got married, Jill+Wreck etc.. can be attributed to age and a little bit more maturity when getting engaged.

I know, it's bizarre. They have this aura of being a kind of last-chance-saloon twilight-years romance, but they are such a normal age by outside standards. I had to remind myself that John David is only about a week older than my brother, and neither I nor any of our family have any concerns or expectations in terms of his marriage prospects.

So I watched the videos with the help of a VPN, and they are so cute and happy. It feels very different to the frothy giggly romances we've seen from all the 19-year-old maidens lately, for whom I guess marriage seems... very academic? Whereas JD and Abbie seem to appreciate exactly what this means: they have a maturity and depth of feeling, and a readiness to have a proper independent adult life together. All this is very nice, but I also get the sense that some of their giddiness is down to pure relief. Like both of them had been afraid they were going to be left on the shelf and finally it's happening for them. I think it's likely that one or both of them has spent years watching other people get hitched, and worrying it'll never be them, and praying for the grace to accept their situation. I really hope that they haven't been sad, but it's clear both of them are just thrilled that it's finally their turn. It's sad that some of their joy might be due to dodging the stigma of being forever uncoupled, but that's not a feeling exclusive to fundies, although it's probably much worse for them.

And, thank all that's holy that Abbie is an actual grown-up. I'd have been a bit squicked out if JD had ended up with a 20-year-old. I don't know if he'd have liked it either. Abbie seems like a really solid match for him. and I agree it's excellent that she has a proper talking voice.

I wonder if Abbie had a crush on JD before they “got closer” this year. We know in fundie land, females can’t make the first move. So has she always thought he was attractive? He’s much more well known than she is so I’m sure she knew more about him than he knew about her. 

Did TLC run out of make-up options? Because I am pretty sure Abby and JD have exactly the same gloss color. Or is that the aftermath of a smooch?!:thumbsup:

20180725_184040.png

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought of this song/video seeing the engagement pictures

https://youtu.be/Bx51eegLTY8

sorry video won't embed for me - it's Berlin's Take My Breath Away from Top Gun

This is one of the few Duggar proposals I would be happy with myself, at least from the pics shown.

Glad they seem to have their own rules on what kind of contact they're OK with. They do look very natural and in love.

May their quiver be average sized and social media posts be non hateful. 

1 hour ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

It highlights just how little the other couples seem to know about each other when they get engaged. Sure, some of it may be to emphasize the godliness of their future spouses, but a lot of it is probably just relying on the script because they haven’t developed a rapport yet and don’t know what to say. However, John David and Abbie seem happy and comfortable with one another. They genuinely appear to be in love and it’s refreshing.

Seriously.  We must have watched a different video.

That video highlights:

• I put a ring on her.
  • Engagement isn't courtship.
  • She appreciated my plane-centric proposal.
  • Watch Counting On!

Yes they seem cute, cuddly, and in lurve.  Or in lust.

Especially JD, because he usually has the animation of a suet pudding so it is nice to see him bubbly, talkative, and happy.

I see very little evidence that they know a whole lot about each other.  What evidence do you have? 

I do think there is evidence in their side cuddles and animation that they both want to get laid.  Badly.  But they will probably wait until after the wedding to do that.

@Palimpsest Maybe a better way to put it would be that they seem more comfortable with one another. But as you pointed out that doesn’t mean they know each other any better than the other couples. It could just be because they are older, or more self-assured, or any number of things. I still think it highlights how awkward the other couples were in their engagement announcement videos, but I was wrong for presuming that John and Abbie know each other well based on the video. 

From my perspective, JD is totally clowning someone or something and his video presentation is the source of some of he and Abbie's private jokes. She finds his intro absolutely tickling.

Wouldn't be shocked if they surprised us all by being culturally fundie but at heart - thinking the entire thing is a hoax.

In my experience, 2nd gens tend to be socially Christian in their younger years  but not committed to the faith at heart. After life experience, they either step away all together or they come back home fully or in a non traditional way.

The Duggars have so much pressure to remain fundie as a cohesive unit, because it is their bread and butter. But I have maintained that not all these kidults are drinking the kool aid. This is why I always praise Joy Anna for her distinction "my parent's beliefs". That was real. Jeremy requesting he and Jinger kiss was another. And now JD seems to be having some sort of real moment with Abbie.

If I didn't know of this couple I swear I wouldn't have recognized JD. He looks alive and happy and completely different. They just look... real. Genuine. 

I hope whoever marries them is NOT either of their fathers. Hopefully Abbie's pastor, or Mike Schadt; I'd even think it's ok if it's Pastor Caldwell. Or......has Jeremy done any family weddings yet? That could be VERY interesting. But having the dad do it, well, overdone in this way. JMO.

Just now, BullyJBG said:

I hope whoever marries them is NOT either of their fathers. Hopefully Abbie's pastor, or Mike Schadt; I'd even think it's ok if it's Pastor Caldwell. Or......has Jeremy done any family weddings yet? That could be VERY interesting. But having the dad do it, well, overdone in this way. JMO.

Re: bold text, please no. His two (TWO!) sermons were uncomfortable, and his jokes about Ben and Jessa's first kiss were beyond gross IMO.

6 hours ago, DillyDally said:

[...]

Duggar weddings are coming thick and fast now, I predict 2019 will be a big Grandduggar Palooza. :stork-baby:

This is going to be a sure thing. Don't how long the baby drought will last, but I predict 5 pregnancies next year.

If I had to be specific, I would guess Jessa, Lauren, Anna, Abbie and Jill.

I am still holding on to Jessa making it out of 2018 without an announcement but everyone else seems to think otherwise. We shall see.

Just a gentle reminder - many posters here were once just as enthusiastic about the marriage of Jill to the human piece of trash called Derick Dillard as people currently are about John-David and Abbie. Please, just proceed with caution in getting your hopes up too much.

Personally, I think having the lowest possible expectations about these relationships is probably for the best - you’ll be pleasantly surprised if they exceed expectations and in no way surprised or upset if they don’t. Kind of like Peter’s thinking in “Dodge Ball”:

03B63928-2034-4F96-A4D6-0A11DD2A6D5F.jpeg.3b7962fe065de6ff6bd42313d8c4db92.jpeg

4 hours ago, SweetLaurel said:

Are you thinking CNA's  - here LPN's need 2 years of college.   CNA's can do tech school but still need classes.   But maybe that varies by state?  I don't know.  

No I wasn't thinking CNA.  You are wrong. 

It does vary by state. See here:  https://www.licensedpracticalnurse.net/training/schools-by-state/oklahoma/

And to clear this up, according to her linked in: www.linkedin.com/in/abbie-burnett-691147134

Abbie studied at Pontotoc Technology Center from 2016 - 2017.  Not 2 years.

It is a perfectly good and accredited educational institution but not a college, per se: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontotoc_Technology_Center

And you can verify her LPN here: https://apps.ok.gov/nursing/verify/index.php

1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

From my perspective, JD is totally clowning someone or something and his video presentation is the source of some of he and Abbie's private jokes. She finds his intro absolutely tickling.

Wouldn't be shocked if they surprised us all by being culturally fundie but at heart - thinking the entire thing is a hoax.

In my experience, 2nd gens tend to be socially Christian in their younger years  but not committed to the faith at heart. After life experience, they either step away all together or they come back home fully or in a non traditional way.

The Duggars have so much pressure to remain fundie as a cohesive unit, because it is their bread and butter. But I have maintained that not all these kidults are drinking the kool aid. This is why I always praise Joy Anna for her distinction "my parent's beliefs". That was real. Jeremy requesting he and Jinger kiss was another. And now JD seems to be having some sort of real moment with Abbie.

Wait, what? Jeremy requested that he and Jinger kiss before the wedding?

Also - I thought that Zach and Whitney DID kiss before marriage.

Honestly, the health field has gotten ridicously complicated with the varying level of nursing and where their jobs blend or diverge. 

Nurse Practioner (gives diagnoses)

Registered Nurse (gives pills, but not scripts. See above)

LPN (gives shots)***

CNA (gives baths in hospital etc)

HHA (gives baths at home)

Personal Care Aid (gives meals)

Me (gives no f%^ks):5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

I can't do any of this stuff. I am no kind of nurse. I commend Abbie for chosing a career path, going to school, completing ALL the necessary testing and certification for licensure. She has most likely worked as a LPN despite being apart of a belief system that normally limits roles for women to the home, rearing/teaching children or performing for others. Good for her! She is a professional woman. It will be interesting to see if she actually works once married. Doubt it, but we can never be too sure.

***I was not aware LPNs had to take the NCLEX exam. I know theirs is specifically to LPN  training, but it is still a certifying exam, right?

32 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

Wait, what? Jeremy requested that he and Jinger kiss before the wedding?

Also - I thought that Zach and Whitney DID kiss before marriage.

Zach and Whit did. They stated as much in a TH in “Bringing Up Bates.” It was one of the very first episodes. They also admitted that they told their parents* and asked for their forgiveness. The pair also said they urged their siblings not to make the same mistake. :pb_rollseyes:

*This would have been the Owenses (the family that may or may not have formally or informally adopted Whitney), not her biological parents.

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

Zach and Whit did. They stated as much in a TH in “Bringing Up Bates.” It was one of the very first episodes. They also admitted that they told their parents* and asked for their forgiveness. The pair also said they urged their siblings not to make the same mistake. :pb_rollseyes:

*This would have been the Owenses (the family that may or may not have formally or informally adopted Whitney), not her biological parents.

Wow, well that took a turn that I wasn't expecting. :5624797b0697e_headbash:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived