IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace Engaged 2: Planes, petals, and proposals

Georgiana

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

I don't have time right now to elaborate further, but there is still a lot of damage being done by missionaries (and even secular projects), and even the projects that seem legitimately helpful often have negative effects.

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer. Yes, there are projects that are good. Yes, there are projects from missionaries, governments, individuals, the World Bank, etc. that do NO ONE any good. I've seen it all.

Let's not derail the whole thread on one line in one post.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any time you have unskilled volunteers doing short term work they're probably not really helping. Even medical missions, which often get a pass when talking about the harmful effects of those types of projects, can be unhelpful and can destabilize local health care initiatives. If people are coming in every few months bringing in a bunch of medication and leaving then there's little incentive to set up long term services. From this journal article:

Hence, short-term medical missions are, at best, a quick fix solution; at worst, they are perpetuating and supporting the factors that lead to poor health. Missions (surgical or otherwise) do not address health care problems, such as poverty and overstretched health care infrastructure [53, 54]. ‘Fistula tourism’ does not change a broken system [55]; without addressing a broken system, any ‘help’ can only be a short-term fix which may benefit individual patients but does not improve long-term access to quality health care. Many governments rely and depend on international volunteers, often with little to no regulation or coordination [51]. This dependence, and also the usually free volunteer services, may remove any incentive for a government to invest in health care or in preventative programs [53, 55].

Nowhere is this problem more evident than in the impact of western volunteers on local health services. Often, the western paradigm competes with rather than supports local health strategies [56]. The creation of duplicate or parallel health systems leads to an erosion of the local services with people rather waiting for the next arrival of free health care from overseas than consulting local personnel [8, 51, 53, 57, 58]. Over time, locals’ distrust leads to the services’ overall deterioration. Staff witness how patient numbers drop off when volunteers leave, modern treatment stops and drugs are running out [56]. Patients who can pay, but prefer to wait for free foreign help, are impacting on local health professionals’ earnings. Volunteers create local unemployment by substituting paid local colleagues with free alternatives [57, 59], pers obs IB]. Some local doctors and nurses, disheartened by their own and the local health system’s prospects, may choose to find employment overseas [60], leaving a hole that asks for even more volunteers.

Or as this article points out:

An oft-repeated justification of short-term medical missions is that some medical care, no matter how compromised, is better than none. In reality, many of the areas serviced do have health care. The Peruvian man I saw, for example, was part of a network of villages that had several clinics and access to a hospital in the region. Complicating the matter, these patients may be preferentially visiting mission doctors instead of their own practitioners because of a belief that doctors from abroad will give them better care.

Additionally, medical missions are not cost-effective. It costs a lot to send volunteer doctors abroad: often $3,000 to $5,000 per person for airfare, lodging, food, visas and program fees. This amount of money could go a long way toward improving the local health-care infrastructure where these missions visit. One physician, after participating in a short-term mission, noted that, if he and his co-volunteers had donated the money they spent on traveling (approximately $30,000), they could have financed half of the construction costs for a 30-bed wing planned for a local hospital.

This is an issue I feel quite strongly about so personally I think it's always worth discussing.

4 hours ago, habert said:

Since I have no doubt that JD and Abbie will be married before June 30th 2019, that will make 5 Duggar marriages less than a year apart from the last one in a row. Which could turn into 6 easily with Jana, and frankly even the twins. 

Jinger to Joy was 6 months

Joy to Joe was 4 months

Joe to Josiah was 9 months

Josiah to John (predicted) < 12 months

If JD and Abbie aren't married before the end of this year, I promise to spend a whole evening looking at my husband like a true Duggar wife. In public. 

I’m tech challenged. Does anyone know how to make a gif of Lauren adoringly looking at Josiah? She really is the best at that. 

13 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I’m tech challenged. Does anyone know how to make a gif of Lauren adoringly looking at Josiah? She really is the best at that. 

I found this on the keepupwithfundies tumblr!

Spoiler

D9EF0599-2D0D-41BD-83E8-565E64201596.gif.0314bc6d85e45b5225cfd31d2bc6eff7.gif

14 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

Hide contents

Sooooo good. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, xenobia said:

If JD and Abbie aren't married before the end of this year, I promise to spend a whole evening looking at my husband like a true Duggar wife. In public. 

Video or it didn’t happen! :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, Mayluka said:

Hide contents

I know she's probably not capable of looking at him sarcastically, but I feel like at the beginning it does look like she's sarcastically admiring him and then giving up on the effort before slipping back into fundie cyborg.

I swear they must have a video the courtin' ladies have to watch called "Gazing quietly with Adoration and Wonder." 

2 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I swear they must have a video the courtin' ladies have to watch called "Gazing quietly with Adoration and Wonder." 

Ha! I look at my husband like that, but that’s only because he basically walks on water. 

I’ll admit that I make that face when I’m buzzed or drunk and have completely spaced out on the conversation, but want to pretend that I’m actively listening and contemplating what was said. I’m not contemplating anything at that point though. That’s my, “We should get going, I’m about to pass out,” face. 

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I don’t look at my husband like that. But I do often stare adoringly at my cat that way. 

I love my husband, but I adore my cats, so that seems reasonable to me. 

IMG_0013_2.jpg

We haven't seen much of them, but I have to say that JD and Abbie are fast becoming my favourite Duggar couple. They are adults, have jobs and talks with normal voices. This pretty much puts them way ahead of most other Duggar couples. 

We haven't seen much of them, but I have to say that JD and Abbie are fast becoming my favourite Duggar couple. They are adults, have jobs and talks with normal voices. This pretty much puts them way ahead of most other Duggar couples. 

This! When I saw the announcement I thought "New Pet Fundies!" Good to know I'm not alone.

14 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I’ll admit that I make that face when I’m buzzed or drunk and have completely spaced out on the conversation, but want to pretend that I’m actively listening and contemplating what was said. I’m not contemplating anything at that point though. That’s my, “We should get going, I’m about to pass out,” face. 

Well, I mean, you know the saying - love drunk / drunk in love :my_angel:

I showed my boyfriend that gif and he says that’s the way I look at him when I’m drunk haha!  Maybe she’d slipped out for a nip of whiskey before filming this?  (Ok, wishful thinking on my part.)

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

I don’t look at my husband like that. But I do often stare adoringly at my cat that way. 

Haha that's how I look at my coffee in the morning!!!!!!!!

My cat has the duggar stare down when he is hungry or in my lap, but he is aware that he is the feline headship of the family.

3 hours ago, PurpleCats said:

I showed my boyfriend that gif and he says that’s the way I look at him when I’m drunk haha!  Maybe she’d slipped out for a nip of whiskey before filming this?  (Ok, wishful thinking on my part.)

Drunk words (looks?) are sober thoughts.  You just might be seriously infatuated with your boyfriend :puke-front: 

My boyfriend's favorite thing to say when we get drunk is how there's nothing in the world he'd rather do than talk with me. I consider this a sign that he just might be a keeper :tw_scream:

I hadn't had much time to be on FJ lately, but I have to admit that I was shocked to come back and see Jinger is still pregnant(agree she looks beautiful).  I feel like she's been expecting forever. Then again, so much has been happening in FJ-land that months sometimes feel longer than they are.

The selfie of JD and Abbie at Si’s wedding is absolutely adorable. They both look so gosh darn happy.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived