IGNORED

Maxwell 22: Maxhell University Coursework

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, VodouDoll said:

I yelled at them and that was cathartic enough. The husband let himself in a few weeks later and asked if we'd be renewing the lease. I said no and he said, "Well, tell your husband I was asking and then ask him to let me know what he decides."

I was like, "We are not renewing the lease. We're moving out," and he kept repeating, "Your husband needs to make this decision, ask him to let me know what he decides."

God, I was so glad to move away from those loons.

What a couple of nuts.  My friend rented a place from a older couple years ago. The couple was worried she was going to throw a big party and trash the place because their last renter did. So they did come in a few times but that stopped once they realized she wasn't going to do that. 

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now a picture of the back of Drew's head that Sarah finds amazing.  Sarah, dear? Photography is not your all in all. Ok?

Jesse is "renting out" the house until Mrs. Jesse is cleared for landing. I say short-term lease!

And where are our intrepid missionary-tourists? Any male tourist suitable to sit Daddy's theology Phd written exam yet? Please God, send these girls husbands!

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

And now a picture of the back of Drew's head that Sarah finds amazing.  Sarah, dear? Photography is not your all in all. Ok?

Jesse is "renting out" the house until Mrs. Jesse is cleared for landing. I say short-term lease!

And where are our intrepid missionary-tourists? Any male tourist suitable to sit Daddy's theology Phd written exam yet? Please God, send these girls husbands!

Maybe Teri is secretly praying they never get husbands because if they did, she'd be all alone with Steve.

4 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I kinda see why Poor Sarah loves that photo. The way the boy’s arms are slightly away from his sides and how his feet are planted make me think he’s about one second from getting into something!

i actually spent 5 or 10 seconds of my life trying to find the brother in the “brotherly advice” photo.

The ABC girls have only genuine smiles intgat photo essay (?) - more power to Mel & Nate fir trying to keep the joy in their lives!

26 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

The ABC girls have only genuine smiles intgat photo essay (?) - more power to Mel & Nate fir trying to keep the joy in their lives!

Indeed. Keep them away from Grandma and Grandpa M.

I also looked for the brother in the "brotherly advice" photo!

I received the latest Mom’s Corners. I cringe every time Teri insists textbooks only all across the board works fine for homeschooling in the same breath as expressing each of her children had a different learning style. It makes sense if a large part of this is due to the fact that they are so restricted in using the Internet. While almost every other family around them is utilizing YouTube or Khan Academy or looking at blogs to get ideas for unit studies and games, they are confined to the content of textbooks - not even getting to google any further explanation. When studying about reproduction, if the kids had freedom of mind and information, Jesse might see an anatomically correct drawing or the girls will learn how easy it is for a fertilized egg to never implant thus discrediting “moral implications” of the pill. John may have taken an interest in literature and have read stories about people who work outside the home and go on dates. Teri tries to pass off this rule as a way to be more efficient and organized (insert lame plus for MOTH here) when in reality it’s just her way of helping her family conform to the demands of her control freak husband. 

My mom home schooled us and used text books. We didn’t just sit and read the text book for all of our classes we actually did stuff. We did science experiments, sometimes with other home school families, we took classes at places with other kids. I took dance and swimming classes.  My older brother played sports. I eventually took classes on the computer, not online but with a cd. The purpose of home schooling is to help each child learn in the way that is best for them. Text books don’t always work for everyone especially when you have children in different grades. It’s hard for a child to learn when no one is properly teaching them. 

Apparently the new "Mom's Corner" isn't on the website yet. While looking for it, I came across this gem, supposedly by a reader and homeschooling mom:

"In the middle of the week, we had a situation arise that could have wrecked havoc to our schedule, but I was able to say “No” to a request from a friend—something that has always been very difficult for me to do. Although I felt very guilty at the time, I now see the good that came out of it and the great benefit to our family and our week of testing. Deborah"

No. No. No. This has to be made up, right? I refuse to believe there's another family out there making an idol of their schedule like this. 

17 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

My mom home schooled us and used text books. We didn’t just sit and read the text book for all of our classes we actually did stuff. We did science experiments, sometimes with other home school families, we took classes at places with other kids. I took dance and swimming classes.  My older brother played sports. I eventually took classes on the computer, not online but with a cd. The purpose of home schooling is to help each child learn in the way that is best for them. Text books don’t always work for everyone especially when you have children in different grades. It’s hard for a child to learn when no one is properly teaching them. 

My homeschooling experience was like this too. I did enjoy doing work books all throughout elementary so when I got older in junior high I was definitely doing all the questions at the end of the chapter of each textbook. My Mom didn’t really care if I did that or not as she would usually have me write about what I had read, she wanted me to be able to articulate what I comprehended. The internet was my friend for a lot of my schooling experience. What Teri could have done is prescreened certain sites for helpful videos for her kids but I don’t think she had the emotional energy to do that. Doing textbooks only for eight different kids spanning 2 (3 depending where you draw the line) generations is definitely a cop out on Steve and Teri’s part.

2 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Apparently the new "Mom's Corner" isn't on the website yet. While looking for it, I came across this gem, supposedly by a reader and homeschooling mom:

"In the middle of the week, we had a situation arise that could have wrecked havoc to our schedule, but I was able to say “No” to a request from a friend—something that has always been very difficult for me to do. Although I felt very guilty at the time, I now see the good that came out of it and the great benefit to our family and our week of testing. Deborah"

No. No. No. This has to be made up, right? I refuse to believe there's another family out there making an idol of their schedule like this. 

I see where you are coming from but I don’t this is made up. She is probably a mom who is juggling a lot and felt conflicted about shutting off some interaction from the outside world, so Better to affirm this decision than Teri, the Matriarch of America’s most isolated family. The fact that this mom set aside a week for testing and felt guilty about saying no to her friends shows that she probably allows herself and her kids the  flexibility homeschooling offers. I have seen many Mom’s flock to MOTH throughout the years in hopes of being more organized, but I think most of them have seen that idolizing time and control to the extent of the Maxwells makes things worse for their family life and is detrimental to the quality of the childrens’ education.

12 minutes ago, dripcurl said:

I see where you are coming from but I don’t this is made up. She is probably a mom who is juggling a lot and felt conflicted about shutting off some interaction from the outside world, so Better to affirm this decision than Teri, the Matriarch of America’s most isolated family. The fact that this mom set aside a week for testing and felt guilty about saying no to her friends shows that she probably allows herself and her kids the  flexibility homeschooling offers. I have seen many Mom’s flock to MOTH throughout the years in hopes of being more organized, but I think most of them have seen that idolizing time and control to the extent of the Maxwells makes things worse for their family life and is detrimental to the quality of the childrens’ education.

Well, even the wording sounds like Teri, but of course Teri probably edited it to make it more Maxwellian. And I read "week of testing" to be spiritual testing, rather than schoolwork, because she was on the relaxed summer schedule. 

But who knows, really? It's Maxhell, where the only sure things are death and where you go when you die. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

1 hour ago, dripcurl said:

Teri tries to pass off this rule as a way to be more efficient and organized (insert lame plus for MOTH here) when in reality it’s just her way of helping her family conform to the demands of her control freak husband. 

....which is the essence of Maxhell. 

32 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Well, even the wording sounds like Teri, but of course Teri probably edited it to make it more Maxwellian. And I read "week of testing" to be spiritual testing, rather than schoolwork, because she was on the relaxed summer schedule. 

But who knows, really? It's Maxhell, where the only sure things are death and where you go when you die. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

That’s a good point. I often forget how in these families any inconvenience is of Satan so it would make sense to look at it that way and then it definitely does look fake. I’ve only recently noticed a theme on the Maxhell threads is that the Maxwells do lie a good deal and post comments of their own. I guess I am missing something, and they are horrible parents so I wouldn’t put it past them. 

Update: I just read “Deborah’s Journal”. Yeah it’s definitely all fake. Comments are disabled there too.

13 minutes ago, dripcurl said:

That’s a good point. I often forget how in these families any inconvenience is of Satan so it would make sense to look at it that way and then it definitely does look fake. I’ve only recently noticed a theme on the Maxhell threads is that the Maxwells do lie a good deal and post comments of their own. I guess I am missing something, and they are horrible parents so I wouldn’t put it past them. 

Update: I just read “Deborah’s Journal”. Yeah it’s definitely all fake. Comments are disabled there too.

And that's the thing. The Maxwells portray themselves as "Godly" and yet they are often dishonest, by omission or commission, about their lives. They act as if certain courtships never happened. They are vague when they should be direct. They edit other people's comments on their blog. They scrub posts. 

They are not honest people. They are not straightforward. 

I could have sworn Poor Sarah wrote something about Jesse, Strong and Black, having purchased a house that came complete with tenants. Am I drunk? Are the Maxwells shifting a time line in order to deceive? Are both things possible at once?

I don’t remember them saying it came complete with renters, but that the friends were chatting and it turned out they lived next to a “rental house” the owner was getting ready to sell. I don’t recall them saying it came w the renters present. 

Looks like Abby is following in her aunts' footsteps and being volunteered to work on houses for the menfolk. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Looks like Abby is following in her aunts' footsteps and being volunteered to work on houses for the menfolk. Ugh. 

You know Abby is now the same age Scary Mary was when the blog started.  Now we know what Abby's life will be like at 21-22.

1 hour ago, OhNoNike said:

I don’t remember them saying it came complete with renters, but that the friends were chatting and it turned out they lived next to a “rental house” the owner was getting ready to sell. I don’t recall them saying it came w the renters present. 

So you are saying I am drunk.

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

You know Abby is now the same age Scary Mary was when the blog started.  Now we know what Abby's life will be like at 21-22.

I still hold out hope that her parents will make sure she has a way more fulfilling life than her aunts. But who knows.

28 minutes ago, dripcurl said:

I still hold out hope that her parents will make sure she has a way more fulfilling life than her aunts. But who knows.

I hope so too but I’m not sure that is going to happen. 

I’ve been hearing about the missionaries currently stranded in Haiti due to the unrest there and wondering if perhaps Anna and Mary might be affected...

and then I come to my senses. There is no way Steve would allow those women to go to someplace as sinful as Haiti. Just think of what they might see!

On a somewhat similar note, Anna Christina of the Seven Sisters has posted on her Facebook that she is in a relationship with someone she met in Guatemala while doing missionary work there. He’s Guatamalan, no less, and is an Evangelical Christian. Someone asked her if he has met her family yet and the answer was no. It will be interesting to see where this goes. 

Steve would shit a brick. 

6 hours ago, dripcurl said:

Sarah says “I love seeing my brothers and kiddos working together!” Your kiddos?

Good catch!

Probably equal parts wishing she had kiddis (but not with her brothers!) and careless writing (learned from a homeschooling mom who didn’t want the job).

2 hours ago, dripcurl said:

From your keyboard to Rufus’ furry ears!  Because of their closeness to Mel’s family, there is a distinct possibility that she and Nate literally know better than the paltry and suffocating way the Maxkids were raised.  

Whatever the event was that fried Steve’s common sense and sent him into over-sheltering mode, it cannot have been as bad as losing Susannah (RIP, little one) after or before miscarriages.  The evidence that the ABC’s still have genuine smiles ( especially B & C, and A’s smile seems to reach her eyes, most photos) gives me hope that their folks have their heads screwed on straight and are savvy enough to nod and smile and keep the peace around Stevovah and his Avenging angel Terifying Minion, while doing things their own way.

New blog post up because they’ve been watching all the little kids.

Is it me, or are there a LOT of “Jesse is great dad material” photos up??

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived