IGNORED

Maxwell 22: Maxhell University Coursework

Coconut Flan

I'm a few posts behind, but I had no idea Steve and Teri went to Missouri S&T! I just drove through Rolla last week. It's exactly the kind of bland town I would imagine them living in, but it's weird thinking that we might have crossed paths.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I want to know is, if debt-free is an all-important goal (and why is that, anyway? I don't know of any biblical mandate for it), then why is Jesse allowed to rent his home out to someone else, thereby causing them to "sin"? Seems like a classic example of "stumbling block before the blind" to me.

8 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Don’t they usual post relationships after they get married?

That certainly became their approach after Joseph's failed courtship with Elizabeth Munck.  They quickly scrubbed the blog of the announcement.  Christopher also had a failed courtship prior to NR Anna, and their courtship announcement was also scrubbed from the blog.  The failed courtships weren't making the brand look good.

They would have kept John's a secret, too, if the Bontragers hadn't let the cat out of the bag.  Oops!

I will also be interesting to see how they handle the female Maxwells in the future, especially if there are no courtships for any of them.  I agree with others it won't make the brand look good if none of them find anyone to court.

19 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

That certainly became their approach after Joseph's failed courtship with Elizabeth Munck.  They quickly scrubbed the blog of the announcement.  Christopher also had a failed courtship prior to NR Anna, and their courtship announcement was also scrubbed from the blog.  The failed courtships weren't making the brand look good.

They would have kept John's a secret, too, if the Bontragers hadn't let the cat out of the bag.  Oops!

That’s why I think Steve’s choice in fundie girl won’t be one that blogs or instagrams. 

On 7/2/2018 at 11:51 PM, PennySycamore said:

Anna and Mary probably heard a mild swear word at the airport or on the plane -something like Oh darn! or Shoot!  Even my old neighbors favorite utterance "Land o" Goshen!" would be too much for the girls.

Would they even know what a real swear word is? They have less exposure to the world than your average toddler.

While I'm sure Sarah told the truth about Jesse not being in a relationship at the time he bought his house...that doesn't mean he doesn't currently have his eye on someone, or that he won't enter a courtship soon.

My money's on Allison Bontrager, or maybe one of the unmarried Wissmann girls? 

I'm surprised one of the older Staddon 'boys' hasn't got with Sarah yet. They're old enough, and they're certainly fundie enough. The Maxwells are bound to know them. Maybe the Staddons are too awkward and enmeshed even for the Maxwells. Donald Staddon is pretty unfortunate-looking, too.

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

I just don't get why he doesn't see that the fact that all of his daughters are still unmarried is doing some real damage to his brand. Customers/Followers/Leghumpers might swallow one spinster daughter, but three is just too much. In their world they should be married and breeding.

I'm sure he knows that. Hell, the entire fundie culture is really about protecting the 'purity' of female property, and success is only completely achieved by getting them married as virgins. Until that happens, he's only half-succeeded. He must know that. 

The culture can tolerate 1 or 2 unmarried daughters as a family servant but not all three of them. 

I said on this board a while ago that I really don't think Steve has the self-awareness to realise that the girls' chance of marriage is entirely in his hands and that he just expects, since the Maxwells are the favoured ones, for a perfect fundie debt-free-homeowner husband to just materialise on their doorstep, without any action being required on his part. 

I may be slightly revising that opinion though. It is probably a good sign that the younger girls have at least been doing the missionary trips, attending the occasional Titus2 event and Anna went to an IT thing a few months ago. So maybe it has started to sink in that he needs to put them out in the (fundie) world a bit more. But Sarah doesn't seem to get any of those opportunities, so it seems they've definitely given up on her. 

What I'm interested to find out is whether, like the boys, the girls are encouraged to save money for their future married lives. Do the Maxwells assume that any future husband will bear all the costs of a home purchase, and that Dad will bear the costs of any wedding, so the girls don't need to save for anything except for their mochas, plaid shirts, art supplies and occasional vacations? That will give some idea of how realistic their marriage prospects are.

If Steve really does require any future husband to buy a house, and especially if it's debt-free, then the chances of a spouse for any of the girls becomes virtually nil, given all the other factors (dominating father-in-law, location far away from prime fundie land, younger and more attractive girls in competition with them). 

9 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Don’t they usual post relationships after they get married?

No.  Only Joseph's wedding was kept super secret.  That may even have been Joe's choice after he was jilted practically at the alter.  They did delayed on announcing John's wedding until Chelsy let the cat out of the bag "for the privacy of the couple."  Steve was gobsmacked by that move by the Bontragers.

1 hour ago, meee said:

What I want to know is, if debt-free is an all-important goal (and why is that, anyway? I don't know of any biblical mandate for it), then why is Jesse allowed to rent his home out to someone else, thereby causing them to "sin"? Seems like a classic example of "stumbling block before the blind" to me.

Steve probably got the bee in his bonnet about debt-free houses from Jim Salmon's Financial Freedom seminars.  Fundies also don't seem to mind taking heathens' renting or encouragin people to pay them by credit card.  

6 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

While I'm sure Sarah told the truth about Jesse not being in a relationship at the time he bought his house...that doesn't mean he doesn't currently have his eye on someone, or that he won't enter a courtship soon.

I'm surprised one of the older Staddon 'boys' hasn't got with Sarah yet. They're old enough, and they're certainly fundie enough. The Maxwells are bound to know them. Maybe the Staddons are too awkward and enmeshed even for the Maxwells. Donald Staddon is pretty unfortunate-looking, too.

While it might be nice for Chelsy, I hope Allison escapes Maxhell.  I think she might be a bit too old for Jesse too, in worldly experience rather than chronologically.

Possibly a Wissman.  I need to refresh my memory of the stable of unmarried Fundie fillies.

I'd love another Staddon wedding.  It is magnificent snark-fodder.  Their courtship stories are so convoluted and the brides, at least Kendalyn and Kathryn, are so modestly reluctant to get hitched.  Mind you, a Staddon might already have tried for a Maxwell and been shot down.

34 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

For Jesse, there are a quite a few possibilities. I don't think Allison is his type - or more to the point, he isn't her type. I think the Buck/Hale girls in his age range are the most likely, along with their friends in Colorado, one of the Wissmans, or maybe one of the younger Cowan girls (used to be their neighbours). 

I don't think the Maxwells and the Staddons know each other since the Maxwells have never been to West Virginia and they don't really mix with the IBLP crowd other than having Boob and Mechelle promote their books. I can't see any Maxwell with any Duggar, Waller, Paine, Wilkes or any of those crowds either. 

14 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Tomorrow is Independence Day.  Will there be an abortion post?  Happy Independence Day!  Let us remember the millions of babies who will never get to experience freedom because they were aborted.

I am solemnly remembering the 8 babies who never got to experience freedom because they were born to Steve & Teri. 

Post is up, just a basic ol’ switcheroo from American liberty towards the freedom in the Gospel. Basically, real freedom is being Christ’s bondservant. I would have gone into more detail if I were her especially considering how the family’s blog is so heavily snarked on (no regrets) but I hoping that she is actually doing something f*n today as a reason to half-ass the post. 

11 hours ago, ophelia said:

I just don't get why he doesn't see that the fact that all of his daughters are still unmarried is doing some real damage to his brand. Customers/Followers/Leghumpers might swallow one spinster daughter, but three is just too much. In their world they should be married and breeding.

Because these big fundie families often have unmarried daughters - and Anna and Mary are still young enough to be marriageable. He can slide by for another 2-3 years

7 hours ago, meee said:

I know a few people who are far less fundie than the Maxwells (well, isn't everyone?) who still don't believe in taking on any debt. Of all the fundie beliefs, it's the one that grinds my gears the least (though there can be some hypocrisy in it as @Palimpsest pointed out).

Michelle Singletary, a Baptist and a financial columnist with The Washington Post, believes that Christians shouldn't have debt. Though she understands most people will have a small mortgage and sees nothing wrong with renting before you can save up for a house (Aside-- do we actually know the Maxwells stance on renting?).

There is the part in Proverbs about the borrower being the slave of the lender. Dave Ramsey and Michelle Singletary also cite these passages:

Spoiler

Proverbs 6:6-8 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise, Which, having no chief, Officer or ruler, Prepares her food in the summer And gathers her provision in the harvest.

Proverbs 13:22 A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.

Romans 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding except the continuing debt to love on another.

22 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Aside-- do we actually know the Maxwells stance on renting?

I don't think they have ever got on a soap box about renting.  It is irrelevant though to their life style and message.  All children should chose to live at home rent-free until they get married, sons can't get married until they own a house, and I'm sure it is a requirement for any man who wants to court a Maxfemale to own a house debt-free.

ETA.  I wonder whether Steve and Teri rented houses before they moved to Leavenworth.

The Wissmans were one of the first fundie blogs I followed. I don’t get why anyone would think a Wissman girl would marry a Maxwell guy. The Wissman girls seem fairly independent, work outside the home even if it’s with their brothers, travel , a lot, wear jeans quite often and like to have fun. Maxwell’s don’t do fun.  Now a Maxwell girl marrying a Wissman -type guy would be mind blowing 

2 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

The Wissman girls seem fairly independent, work outside the home even if it’s with their brothers, travel , a lot, wear jeans quite often and like to have fun.

Not unlike Chelsy and Allison Bontrager, except they layer their skinny jeans under defraudingly short knee length skirts.  ;)

11 hours ago, nomoxian said:

Would they even know what a real swear word is? They have less exposure to the world than your average toddler.

My two year grand nephew knows more swear words than Anna & Mary.  

Did you catch the reference to a hope chest in one of the comments on Jesse's home purchase post? Sarah said the concept of daughters creating a next egg for future marriage and homemaking will be the topic of a future blog post. Something to look forward to since the Maxwell daughter hope chests (or hopeless chests, as my mother would say) must be massive by now! 

12 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

For Jesse, there are a quite a few possibilities. I don't think Allison is his type - or more to the point, he isn't her type. I think the Buck/Hale girls in his age range are the most likely, along with their friends in Colorado, one of the Wissmans, or maybe one of the younger Cowan girls (used to be their neighbours). 

I forgot a couple: Grace or Lydia Leake, whose older sisters are friends of Sarah and who own the Garlands of Grace fundie headwear business. They are both in their early 20s, and I think their parents are long term family friends of the Maxwells.

1 hour ago, ricky_ticky said:

Did you catch the reference to a hope chest in one of the comments on Jesse's home purchase post? Sarah said the concept of daughters creating a next egg for future marriage and homemaking will be the topic of a future blog post. Something to look forward to since the Maxwell daughter hope chests (or hopeless chests, as my mother would say) must be massive by now! 

Isn’t it amazing how commenters just happen to ask questions that coincide with discussions on this forum...

How would Stevie respond if someone was interested in buying a load of Maxwell books, but said they'd have to go into debt to buy them?

The Wissmanns and Bontragers remind me of one another. Almost likes the Bates and Duggar families, they seem to have a lot in common. I doubt Steve wants to go down that road again after Chelsy. The Wissmanns would definitely post if one of them got engaged to Jesse. The most likely match would be Hannah. She’s close in age to Jesse and single. I actually thought maybe a Bontrager would marry a Wissmann someday. The families have been friends for a long time. Maybe Stephen W and Allison B.  

OMG you guys—going OT to share something I heard at today’s 4th of July barbecue:  One of the gals is a nurse manager for CNAs who do in-home care for elderly patients. She mentioned one client who is 93 and lives with her 100-year-old sister. They share a bedroom and sleep in BUNK BEDS.  Everyone was concerned for their safety. I, of course, immediately thought of the possible future of the Maxwell daughters.

10 minutes ago, Hane said:

OMG you guys—going OT to share something I heard at today’s 4th of July barbecue:  One of the gals is a nurse manager for CNAs who do in-home care for elderly patients. She mentioned one client who is 93 and lives with her 100-year-old sister. They share a bedroom and sleep in BUNK BEDS.  Everyone was concerned for their safety. I, of course, immediately thought of the possible future of the Maxwell daughters.

There was a bookkeeper at one place where I worked who seemed ancient, but she might have only been in her 60's, which does seem ancient for someone in her early 20's. Anyway she and her sister slept together in the same double bed they had always slept in, in the same house where they were born.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

How would Stevie respond if someone was interested in buying a load of Maxwell books, but said they'd have to go into debt to buy them?

I'm pretty sure that when it comes to throwing money at the Maxwells, Steve is all DADT.

12 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I am solemnly remembering the 8 babies who never got to experience freedom because they were born to Steve & Teri. 

No mention of abortion but Maxwell in law Josh Bontrager got a slam in on his latest blog post about Independence Day.  He's trying to out Maxwell Coward Steve.

17 hours ago, Triplet3 said:

I see Jesse so bland, so dull and brainwashed, that I only picture him with a girl like NR Anna. Wissman daughters are too outgoing and fashionable for him. And regarding Allison, I may be totally wrong but I have the feeling that she's looking for a well-off man, with a classical gentleman style, not someone with no career and no personality. I think most of these girls keep in mind big dreams, while most of them are going to have a rude awakening.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived