IGNORED

Catholic priest kicks black family out of church during funeral

47of74

18 hours ago, 47of74 said:

One time back in the days when the church had the weird hang up about regular people touching the host with their hands my uncle went to receive. When the priest placed the host on his tongue my uncle felt it starting to fall off his tongue and pushed it back in his mouth. My uncle said the priest had a fit over him touching the host with his hand - that the priest pretty much said it was better for the host to fall to the floor than a regular person touch it.

When I was a little kid in the ‘50s, one of my friends said her catechism class was told a story about an imprisoned Catholic girl. Her cruel jailer threw consecrated hosts on the floor of her cell and, rather than pick them up with her hands, she used her tongue. (I don’t remember whether she swallowed them or not.)

1 hour ago, Kailash said:

@katilac I have to think there have been other services where something was accidentally broken or dropped and he didn’t flip out and kick everyone out then. I think, sadly, disgustingly, he’s a racist asshole.

Seriously, I'm sure things get dropped, but chalices (sacred or not) are still just things.  And things that can be mended and prayed over to make them sacred again.

This dimwit put a "thing" ahead of a grieving family and a deceased Catholic (who was not a "thing").

I don't know whether he is complete racist or just a complete asshole.  But I expect he is a racist and the deceased's relations had not been on his current food supply list.  So he chose to chuck 'em out.

It is not forgivable, IMO.  I hope his diocese sees it that way.

1 hour ago, Hane said:

When I was a little kid in the ‘50s, one of my friends said her catechism class was told a story about an imprisoned Catholic girl. Her cruel jailer threw consecrated hosts on the floor of her cell and, rather than pick them up with her hands, she used her tongue. (I don’t remember whether she swallowed them or not.)

Yes, she would have swallowed them, there would be nothing else (respectful) to do with them. 

My CCD teachers in the 1970s used to tell us horror stories to make sure we were afraid to mistreat the host. In one of the, a little girl stabbed the host three times with her pencil (why? I have no idea). That very same night, she died unexpectedly. When the doctors examined her to find out why, they found . . . three holes in her heart. 

Sweet dreams, kids! Don't piss God off. 

22 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

That's not a Catholic church, right?

Transubstantiation is one of the main tenets of Catholic faith. For Catholics the consecrated wafer actually becomes the Eucharist, the actual body of Christ, it's the single most holy thing ever. Leftover wafers are always preserved in the tabernacle for the next Mass. There's a reason if people kneel in front of the tabernacle, they believe that Christ with his actual flesh and body is present inside it.

Nope, we're Lutherans, you know those folk who's founder was a monk and a priest and a married guy with 9 kids to boot. But if you went to a service you'd hear familiar things, all except the Transubstantiation stuff. We believe the bread and wine are in, with, and under the body and blood of Christ. 

On 7/3/2018 at 6:51 AM, laPapessaGiovanna said:

That's not a Catholic church, right?

Transubstantiation is one of the main tenets of Catholic faith. For Catholics the consecrated wafer actually becomes the Eucharist, the actual body of Christ, it's the single most holy thing ever. Leftover wafers are always preserved in the tabernacle for the next Mass. There's a reason if people kneel in front of the tabernacle, they believe that Christ with his actual flesh and body is present inside it.

I grew up Catholic and I still remember how disgusted i was when i first learned about this. I must have been seven or eight years old.I told my Mum i was never going to take communion because I did not want to eat a dead person. That did not go down too well with my mum. I remember crying about it when she told me I had to.

14 hours ago, katilac said:

Yes, she would have swallowed them, there would be nothing else (respectful) to do with them. 

My CCD teachers in the 1970s used to tell us horror stories to make sure we were afraid to mistreat the host. In one of the, a little girl stabbed the host three times with her pencil (why? I have no idea). That very same night, she died unexpectedly. When the doctors examined her to find out why, they found . . . three holes in her heart. 

Ah those developementally appropriate tales of the catechism classes/s

16 hours ago, katilac said:

When we were kids my mom had a book called "Eucharistic Miracles" that had the above stories of the girl with the pencil and the one in the cell, and of various people who took the Eucharist while in a state of mortal sin and/or not fully believing it was the Body of Christ and it turned to human flesh in their mouths.  There were grainy black and white photos of shrivelly looking pieces of meat offered as "proof".  For some years a part of me was absolutely petrified every time I went to communion.  Did I believe enough?  Was my confession thorough enough? 

Then one day during my teenage years I purposefully left out "masturbation" during my confession because the last time I had confessed it the priest had asked some very inappropriate and skeevy questions and I was afraid to go through that again.  I couldn't stay in the pew or there would be questions.  I'd never asked for a blessing before.  I panicked.  I took the host on my tongue....and nothing happened.  

Not sure what my mother was thinking giving us that, now she claims she just thought it was "interesting" but...this is the same woman that told her very small children that if you ever hit your mother your hand would grow up out of the grave and everyone would see what you had done.  When we moved next door to a cemetary, my sister and I called her on it - surely at least one of these people had hit their mother?  Where were the skeletal hands grasping the air?  Our mother responded that dogs must have come along and eaten them.  THAT I didn't believe, maybe because it didn't have the potential weight of God behind it.

The story is absolutely terrible and the priest should not be interacting with the public.  But since they won't even defrock child rapists and their enablers, I doubt there will be any action, just some empty words.

2 hours ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

When we were kids my mom had a book called "Eucharistic Miracles" that had the above stories of the girl with the pencil and the one in the cell, and of various people who took the Eucharist while in a state of mortal sin and/or not fully believing it was the Body of Christ and it turned to human flesh in their mouths. 

Ew, gross! I was not subjected to that particular bit of nastiness. The CCD teacher who owned the book was probably afraid that half of the class would refuse communion, lol. 

28 minutes ago, katilac said:

Ew, gross! I was not subjected to that particular bit of nastiness. The CCD teacher who owned the book was probably afraid that half of the class would refuse communion, lol. 

I just googled "eucharistic miracles pictures" and would not recommend it!  So much blood!

4 hours ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

I just googled "eucharistic miracles pictures" and would not recommend it!  So much blood!

Naturally I googled that immediately.

It's so funny. If the wafer thingy really turned to flesh/blood would a priest call "Anyone got their iPhone handy? We need to take pictures!" and "Post those on the internet immediately!'

Archived