IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

There is a passage in a Father Brown mystery that made me never look at that character the same way again (I realize he's fictional, but he's still an amalgamation of his dialogue and actions and this part was really, really bad).

Oh gosh, I'm so curious which one. I'm visiting my parents soon and last time I watched one of the BBC films there was a pretty big WTF storyline. I know my dad's doing them on audio book now, so I'll have to listen through it. Aye aye.

I've heard the gamut of slurs, intentional and accidental and through living about both in the US and abroad try to be conservative about word choice and letting things roll off my back. Since being in a serious interracial relationship, we're engaged, it's definitely changed. I'm both more desensitized to it and take it personally, especially if people comment on what our children will look like. That being said, for accidental comments, unknown cultural racism, I'm not bothered and certainly am not going to change friends over it unless it becomes intentional. People are receptive to being informed privately, gently and calmly that certain words aren't in fashion anymore, at least those I know well enough to feel comfortable speaking with. Random jerks I don't bother with.

Rumor from mutual friends with Jeremy is as you'd expect. He's read up and become a baby expert, more visibly anxious than Jinger. Just a passing aside conversation as my friend and I talked World Cup and NBA trades. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know Jeremy’s grandmas name?  I wonder if they would name the baby after her.

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

Oh gosh, I'm so curious which one. I'm visiting my parents soon and last time I watched one of the BBC films there was a pretty big WTF storyline. I know my dad's doing them on audio book now, so I'll have to listen through it. Aye aye.

"The God of Gongs." And I try to keep things in perspective, and so am not as surprised if a white British writer from a homogeneous town a hundred years ago relies on stereotypes in describing a group of people he is not familiar with.

This is...something else. I just pulled up the story, and it is not Father Brown who says the worst statement, but Flambeau. Who, nevertheless is set up as a heroic protagonist. 

Read this letter to EWTN and response from Warren Carroll (founder of Christendom College) about Chesterton's racism if you'd like to see some epic gas lighting (and want to fall into a rage coma): 

http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage_print.asp?number=364378&language=en

I, too, didn't notice what a shit Julian was. My kids are reading Enid Blyton at the moment... Even the updated versions are still startlingly classist, racist and just plain mean! All her characters are horrible to anyone 'weaker' than them... and being fat, spotty, not clever, poor etc is seen as a personal failing. Plus any kid who isn't posh is always depicted as dirty with poor personal hygiene. It's bizarre- but my kids picked up on it immediately, thank goodness!
I remember as a kid thinking that Gwendoline from Malory Towers had no chance - poor rich girl cries at the station because she's going to miss her mum? No sympathy for her! Poor rich girl who has never been to school tries to make friends and surprise! has some very human flaws, like prefering to hang out with only one person? Coventry! When it's obvious that poor rich girl's governess didn't teach her enough and her motivation is lacking? Yell at her and give her more work. I always thought I could write Gwendoline much better - even now. I feel like she was the original square peg in the round hole of Enid Blyton World. [emoji16]

On 6/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, tabitha2 said:

Say, Anybody been to Cracker Barrel  lately? 

;)

Sunday for breakfast with the in-laws. I really don't like breakfast there. No omelets or frittatas or benedict... I never really know what to order. 

And the in-laws are obsessed with going to breakfast there for family events like Mother's or Father's Day instead of having a nice brunch or dinner at a normal restaurant. 

My Aunt was given a lot of Enid Blyton books from her sister, who was a teacher, when my cousin was younger and she said after reading some of the Noddy stories she donated all the books to the charity shop because she found the books that bad. I watched some TV adaptations of her stuff but I never read the books. I don't see myself buying any of her books for any future kids either.

14 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I didn't realize Scientology was so mainstream one area.

Unfortunately it is where I live.  :(  

6 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

I'm guessing by @Tim-Tom Biblethumper's location that it's Clearwater, FL (home of CoS's headquarters).  

14 minutes ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Unfortunately it is where I live.  :(  

If i may ask, i could see that being uncomfortable being surrounded by such a pushy and sometimes revengeful cult. Do you ever have to deal with them or their intimidating tactics? I watched the Leah remini shows and it seems like it could be very overwhelming to be so near it all.

Just now, Daisy0322 said:

If i may ask, i could see that being uncomfortable being surrounded by such a pushy and sometimes revengeful cult. Do you ever have to deal with them or their intimidating tactics? I watched the Leah remini shows and it seems like it could be very overwhelming to be so near it all.

It is odd, to say the least.  I was born here 15 years before their arrival.  I live in a condo complex fairly close to the church and very close to a barracks where 75% of my neighbors are THEM.  So, if say I run into another "wog" neighbor in the grocery store and we're talking about the cult, it has to be done in whispers.

I receive regular literature in my mailbox and in my door.  It's also laying around in take-out and fast food restaurants and even diagnostic clinics here.  Yes, I've complained and no longer use that clinic.

My neighbors pretty much leave me alone, but there's always one or two who try to persuade me....Insist that I "borrow" their L. Ron books to read.  One insisted on doing a touch-assist when I sprained my ankle.  It didn't help at all, and I told her so.
On weekends in the winter when the weather is cool and windows are open, you can hear different neighbors blasting their L. Ron lecture tapes.  That's just creepy to hear.

A couple of neighbors have been sent back to their respective countries when they got ill and were no longer of any use to the "church".  Sad stories.  

I used to participate in protests back in the mid-late 90's.  But not so much anymore.  That was kinda dangerous getting too and from without being followed.  There are cameras everywhere and I just don't care anymore. 

BTW, Leah was here last week.  :)  

Why do I live here?
I was born here.
It's the best condo I could afford after my divorce.
My Mom is 80, ill, and lives nearby, and I'm her only child.

I'm hoping to leave - someday.

Sorry for the length of this...  It's never easy to simply answer questions.

I would lose my mind if L.Ron was blasting through the walls. 

11 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I would lose my mind if L.Ron was blasting through the walls. 

I was just skimming posts, saw this and imagined a Kool Aid Man type scenario.

I grew up in the Clearwater/Tampa/St. Pete metro area, and return fairly often. Most of the area doesn’t seem to have many Scientologists, but I’m sure there are plenty right around headquarters. Maybe I would notice them more if I was around full-time.

My son went to a Scientology-based HS for his senior year (long story, but he had to get away from his former school) - and as a TOTAL non-S family, we had many chuckles that year.

Son insisted calling LHR "Ron" and pissing everyone off.  Accusing his S very temp S-GF of having a hovercraft was another faux pas.

Oh, well, it was entertaining at least.

10 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm going to guess the Vuolo's will name her something pretentious and frilly, like Arabella, Alessandra, Giovanna,  with a cute middle name like Grace or Hope.

Long classic Italian sounding names are pretentious and frilly while short classic Anglo Saxon names are cute. Got it.

Btw Arabella is an ancient latinization of a Gaelic name, not an Italian name.

@Tim-Tom Biblethumper,  I was just thinking about Archie Bunker!  He used to throw that epithet around a good bit along with "spic" and "Hebe".

Oh, and "fairy".  All in the Family had a number of episodes where they confronted prejudice against LGBTQ people.  The most famous ones involved the drag queen Beverley LaSalle and there was one about Mike's friend who wasn't butch enough for Archie.  The friend happened to be straight, but Arch was telling a very macho friend about the friend of Mike's at Kelsey's and the guy says to Arch, "Have you ever seen me with a woman?"

Here’s what bugs me about Father Brown. (I’ve only seen the TV adaptation, not read the books.) His town is supposedly an English village, and yet everyone is Catholic. There’s no Anglican Church or vicar. It’s like the little town that the Reformation forgot. 

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Tim-Tom Biblethumper,  I was just thinking about Archie Bunker!  He used to throw that epithet around a good bit along with "spic" and "Hebe".

Oh, and "fairy".  All in the Family had a number of episodes where they confronted prejudice against LGBTQ people.  The most famous ones involved the drag queen Beverley LaSalle and there was one about Mike's friend who wasn't butch enough for Archie.  The friend happened to be straight, but Arch was telling a very macho friend about the friend of Mike's at Kelsey's and the guy says to Arch, "Have you ever seen me with a woman?"

I remember all of those.  And the stereotypes too.  Archie and his Jewish lawyers Rubinowitz, Rubinowitz & Rubinowitz.  And don't forget "Pollock" or "Polack" (one is a fish).  :D  

Hey! Don't dis Cracker Barrel. It's a fine restaurant. It's not home cooking, but if you want some vegetables instead of fast food it's good. I often go there for lunch with family. I get fish, okra, cinnamon apples, and biscuits. It's a nice, filling meal (that I don't have to make, a major plus being that I hate cooking!)

I could live without the deer head on the wall. That bothers me. 

But they aren't charging me twenty dollars for fancy coffee and a small egg sandwich like Starbucks! 

31 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Long classic Italian sounding names are pretentious and frilly while short classic Anglo Saxon names are cute. Got it.

Btw Arabelle is an ancient latinization of a Gaelic name, not an Italian name.

I kinda get what OP means; I wouldn't call names like that frilly or pretentious, but generally I think longer, older names like that have an air of sophistication about them because there are so many hope's, grace's, etc. IMO all short names are cuter for whatever reason, and I like long first/ short mid a lot.

don't mind OP - All The Good Names Are Gone

23 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I grew up in the Clearwater/Tampa/St. Pete metro area, and return fairly often. Most of the area doesn’t seem to have many Scientologists, but I’m sure there are plenty right around headquarters. Maybe I would notice them more if I was around full-time.

Yes!  I was born in Dunedin (just a few miles north of "Mecca"), but grew up and lived in St. Pete 'til my divorce.  Moved to Clearwater and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
The first time I drove through downtown I thought it was some sort of Postal convention with all the uniforms.
In truth, they've pretty much been staying inside since Leah's show.  The Flag buses pull right up to the door and drive them even if it's just a block or two.

Jinger has definitely gotten highlights. They look pretty nice. I imagine she has also had her hair professionally straightened, but I  could be wrong on that.

9 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Jinger has definitely gotten highlights. They look pretty nice. I imagine she has also had her hair professionally straightened, but I  could be wrong on that.

I doubt she has had any chemical straighteners - you’re really not supposed to do that while pregnant!

Just now, closetcagebaby said:

I doubt she has had any chemical straighteners - you’re really not supposed to do that while pregnant!

I've wondered for a while if she had it done. This new picture also makes me wonder her hair routine. (The maternity photos also). Her hair looks so much better than before! Like, does she get treatments done? Better haircuts? Better products? Seriously, it looks really good to me.

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

"The God of Gongs." And I try to keep things in perspective, and so am not as surprised if a white British writer from a homogeneous town a hundred years ago relies on stereotypes in describing a group of people he is not familiar with.

This is...something else. I just pulled up the story, and it is not Father Brown who says the worst statement, but Flambeau. Who, nevertheless is set up as a heroic protagonist. 

Read this letter to EWTN and response from Warren Carroll (founder of Christendom College) about Chesterton's racism if you'd like to see some epic gas lighting (and want to fall into a rage coma): 

http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage_print.asp?number=364378&language=en

Omg that answer is incredibly rude and dismissive. He had also the gall to accuse the writer of "violent feelings" when the guy had been extremely polite and the whole piece is very well written and argumented. That thing is rage fit inducing.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived