IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Every time Miniway has done number two he yells: Dad! I’m finished. 

One of the many reasons he is my favourite kid. 

Daddy did the toilet training in this house. Hoping that will continue on with the two youngest.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AnnEggBlandHer? said:

Omg do we know of any fundies who have used Risen as a first name? I could totally see that. 

I've known evangelicals who have used Greek words for names. Particularly for girls. "Charis" was getting popular when I left Christian school. I could see him into that before going so blatantly obvious as "Risen". 

On 7/12/2018 at 7:02 PM, Mayluka said:

“I want my mom definitely at the birth of our child and so I’ve invited her and Jana as well and Jill, she wants to make it. So they’re invited, but I don’t know how many will be able to make it,” she revealed. “My mom, at this point, is the only one who’s probably going to be able to make it for the birth.”

Ha ha - yeah, that definitely sounds like Jill invited herself as opposed to Jinger asking her.

And that last part makes me mad because Michelle is likely only able to be there thanks to Jana raising Michelle and Jim Bob's younger kids... Rufus forbid that their dad stays home with them while the requested older sister is able to attend with the pregnant woman's mom.

I feel like JinJer need to go big or go home with the name they pick. Some suggestions:

Sinnamon Dolce Vuolo

Rosemarry Time* Vuolo

(*Spelled that way to remind everyone that her main purpose in life is to marry and paired with Time because two misspelled herb names make me laugh.)

Chai Lottie Vuolo

Karamel Macchiato Vuolo

HeIsTheRisenSavior Vuolo

Rufusette Vuolo 

MommaSaysDecafIsTheDevil Vuolo

# JesusLovesTheMall Vuolo

ETA: and in honor of one of the posters who liked this (because the username is just way too perfect), I’d also like to suggest they consider “RoadKill Diety Vuolo.”

I'm confused - what's the difference between "Christian school" and Catholic school?  It seems weird to have to say that Catholics are Christian - but are they really not seen as Christian in the US?  And there are also so many different denominations of Protestant that surely "Protestant School" would be too much of a blanket term to describe them?

(In the UK, there are publicly-funded religious schools that are public schools, but that would be described as a Church of England school, a Catholic School, etc)

ETA I know the Fundagelicals don't think Catholics are Christian, but I'm surprised FJers make the distinction

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I feel like JinJer need to go big or go home with the name they pick.

Walmarta Coffena Vuolo.

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I've known evangelicals who have used Greek words for names. Particularly for girls. "Charis" was getting popular when I left Christian school. I could see him into that before going so blatantly obvious as "Risen". 

I could see an Aletheia Vuolo or an Agape Vuolo. Sophia is too plebeian for Jeremy, An Intellectual. 

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

I'm confused - what's the difference between "Christian school" and Catholic school?  It seems weird to have to say that Catholics are Christian - but are they really not seen as Christian in the US?  And there are also so many different denominations of Protestant that surely "Protestant School" would be too much of a blanket term to describe them?

(In the UK, there are publicly-funded religious schools that are public schools, but that would be described as a Church of England school, a Catholic School, etc)

ETA I know the Fundagelicals don't think Catholics are Christian, but I'm surprised FJers make the distinction

The Christian school I taught in was a "non-denominational" school that was basically ran by charismatics mostly of the Assembly of God variety. It was independently run and "owned" by the tuition paying parents. Catholic students or teachers were not allowed because everyone had to belong to a "Bible believing" church to work there or gain admittance. Their definition of "Bible believing" did not include Catholics, Anglicans/Episcopalians, most Lutherans, or mainline Protestants. 

The Catholic school I taught in was owned by the local parish and affiliated with the school system of the local archdiocese. While non-Catholic students and staff were allowed, the school was clearly and closely affiliated with Catholicism. 

8 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I could see an Aletheia Vuolo or an Agape Vuolo. Sophia is too plebeian for Jeremy, An Intellectual. 

The Wissmans have an Alaythia and a Charissa so it’s not completely unheard of in their circles.

If baby Vuolo is born on the World Cup final day maybe Jeremy will take it as a sign to give her a football related name. 

Like:   Francais Mbappe Vuolo

Messi-is-Overrated Vuolo

Viva Brasilia Vuolo 

Madrid Cristiana Ronaldia Vuolo 

Deutschland 2022  Vuolo

Croatia Bitches! Vuolo 

I wouldn't be suprised if one of Jeremy's grandmother's gets a mention in the middle name. I also wouldn't be suprised if Jeremy's mom comes down for thge birth. It's a long trip, but it's also her 1st grandchild

@VelociRapture's silly guesses reminded me of a hilarious tweet I saw the other day about Sarah Palin.  Paraphrasing, but it was about her kids... Trig, Track, Calc 2, Bio, and JV LaCrosse.  Too funny.  

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

@VelociRapture's silly guesses reminded me of a hilarious tweet I saw the other day about Sarah Palin.  Paraphrasing, but it was about her kids... Trig, Track, Calc 2, Bio, and JV LaCrosse.  Too funny.  

Pfft. My guess were 100% serious. Go big or go home! :pb_lol:

(And I hate myself for this because I hate Sarah Palin and her trashy family and everything they stand for, but I actually like the Palin daughters’ names. They’re pretty and not names I hear very often in my area.)

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

The Catholic school I taught in was owned by the local parish and affiliated with the school system of the local archdiocese. While non-Catholic students and staff were allowed, the school was clearly and closely affiliated with Catholicism. 

Both Catholic schools I attended were associated with the Diocese, but not with a local parish.  Both schools admitted students of any denomination, and I graduated with many girls who were of a Protestant denomination, and one girl who was Muslim, and a few who were Jewish (my graduating class was 68 girls). 

They receive funding from the Diocese, and for my elementary school it was possible to get tuition assistance from your church as well.  My high school mostly gave merit based scholarships and had a work study program for tuition assistance.  

I live in a very traditionally Catholic area due to the large amount of Italian and Irish immigrants in the area in the early part of the 20th century.  There were not a lot of Christian or non-parochial private school options available in the area, and the non-parochial private schools there are are astronomically more expensive than Catholic school.  

1 hour ago, emscm said:

Both Catholic schools I attended were associated with the Diocese, but not with a local parish.  Both schools admitted students of any denomination, and I graduated with many girls who were of a Protestant denomination, and one girl who was Muslim, and a few who were Jewish (my graduating class was 68 girls). 

They receive funding from the Diocese, and for my elementary school it was possible to get tuition assistance from your church as well.  My high school mostly gave merit based scholarships and had a work study program for tuition assistance.  

I live in a very traditionally Catholic area due to the large amount of Italian and Irish immigrants in the area in the early part of the 20th century.  There were not a lot of Christian or non-parochial private school options available in the area, and the non-parochial private schools there are are astronomically more expensive than Catholic school.  

The Catholic school I taught at admitted kids of any religious background. The smallish town it was in was heavily Lutheran and at any given time, about 1/3 of the high school student body was Lutheran and there were several Lutheran staff members as well. Overall, the student body was about 40% non-Catholic, mostly Lutheran, mainline Protestant or no religious affiliation. We also had many foreign exchange students (3-5 per semester in a high school with about 120 kids on average) some of whom were non-religious or of non-Christian religions. Tuition was around $2000 per year as of 2010 (it varied by grade and was discounted for families with more than one student).

The Christian school was a completely different story. No students or teachers who did not attend an evangelical, fundamentalist or charismatic church. Students 6th grade and up had to sign a statement that they agreed with the school's "Statement of Faith and Practice" or they could not be admitted. The parents of younger students had to agree to it. A kid in secondary could be kicked out if the school determined that they were not adhering to that in or out of school. They kicked out a middle schooler for being gay my last year. That and a staff meeting called to discuss a senior student because they felt she was "troubled" because she "questioned" things and "seemed to do a lot of critical thinking" were the dual last straws for me and I had to get out. When they closed in 2002, tuition was $7000 per high school student. 

51 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

The Christian school was a completely different story. No students or teachers who did not attend an evangelical, fundamentalist or charismatic church. Students 6th grade and up had to sign a statement that they agreed with the school's "Statement of Faith and Practice" or they could not be admitted. The parents of younger students had to agree to it. A kid in secondary could be kicked out if the school determined that they were not adhering to that in or out of school. They kicked out a middle schooler for being gay my last year. That and a staff meeting called to discuss a senior student because they felt she was "troubled" because she "questioned" things and "seemed to do a lot of critical thinking" were the dual last straws for me and I had to get out. When they closed in 2002, tuition was $7000 per high school student. 

Jesus, as I remember from my fundie days, had something to say about people who would treat children like that. Matthew 18:6. 

I'm sure I'm not the only Southerner on FJ who recalls that many Protestant Christian "Academies" in the south were set up in response to racial segregation of schools. So the white racists wouldn't have to send their precious darlings to school with everyone else. Hence the nickname "Segregation Academies".

Catholic Schools, for the most part, were not set up as a response to segregation. And a lot of good Catholics in deep south worked hard to educate African-Americans (unlike white Protestants)

I'm Unitarian now (but raised Protestant) , but if I still lived in the South & didn't feel that the public schools were up to snuff, I'd send my kids to a Catholic school in a heatbeat, over any damn Segregation Academy.

38 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I'm sure I'm not the only Southerner on FJ who recalls that many Protestant Christian "Academies" in the south were set up in response to racial segregation of schools. So the white racists wouldn't have to send their precious darlings to school with everyone else. Hence the nickname "Segregation Academies".

I attended a Segregation Academy from 1st-4th grades. It finally closed about five years ago. It was THE school for white parents to send their children, yet it was highly competitive, with a strict limit on class sizes. I remember going to take a test prior to being accepted - and the children being tested for 20 first-grade slots filled all six classrooms. 

But I wasn't sent there because it was a segregation academy; my dad was a public school teacher and he didn't want me in his school, where a typical first-grade classroom had forty (yes, 40) kids with one teacher, no aides. After fourth grade, I was DONE and begged to go to the public school a block from our house. My parents happily let me change schools (I wanted to WALK to school with my neighborhood friends!). But they received hate mail, horrible phone calls, and were shunned by their "friends" because they let their daughter go to school with (gasp!) black kids.

I didn't KNOW it was a Segregation Academy until years later - but my parents pointed out that it opened in 1972, when the schools in the town FINALLY integrated. I asked them point-blank if I went there because I was white, and the only students allowed to attend were white. They actually laughed at me, and pointed out the class size and advanced curriculum (standard curriculum - same books used by the public schools, but our 1st grade used the same books the public school 2nd grade used, etc.). Plus, remember - my dad was a public school teacher, and we had kids in our house ALL THE TIME, because he was a "cool teacher." Black, white, Asian, Hispanic, you name the ethnicity, and they were all welcomed with open arms. It was never a big deal, and still isn't. My dad's former students STILL visit him, post on his Facebook, etc. 

Not to mention my dad's brother is married to a black woman, and several of my cousins are in interracial relationships. Which is why I said my family is a rainbow, a few threads ago - because it truly is. 

P.S.

There is one town I know of in Mississippi that actually takes up donations/collections to send white kids to the NameHere Academy so they don't "have to go to school with blacks."

Yall think I'm kidding? I'm not. 

12 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Catholic Schools, for the most part, were not set up as a response to segregation. And a lot of good Catholics in deep south worked hard to educate African-Americans (unlike white Protestants)

Most Catholic schools were set up in response to Catholics themselves being segregated. In the late nineteenth/early twentieth century, Protestantism was still the majority in the U.S. and seen by many as a sine qua non to being a "real American." Prayer and Christianity were still taught in school, and you can guess which form was taught...

The Catholic Church wasn't happy about the next generation being taught the "wrong version" of the Lord's Prayer and the new waves of Papist Polish, Irish, and Italian immigrants were so discriminated against, they essentially created their own communities in response with the help of the RCC. 

So in response to an earlier question, Catholic and Christian schools are generally seen as two different entities because of their different times of creation, different sources of support, and different goals.

And yeah, my experience with Catholic (and Episcopal schools, for that matter) has overall been much more positive than Christian academies in terms of tolerance of others, academic standards, and general openness.  

51 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

And yeah, my experience with Catholic (and Episcopal schools, for that matter) has overall been much more positive than Christian academies in terms of tolerance of others, academic standards, and general openness.  

My parents took my siblings and I out of the local catholic k-8 school to homeschool us partially because of how open and accepting they were. They hated the idea of us learning anything liberal or that there were teachers who weren't catholic. That school only taught religion as one segment of the day rather than intertwining it into everything (except math) which is what my mom wanted.

In Ontario, Catholic schools are publicly funded alongside regular public schools. It goes back to confederation, and compromising with francophone Catholics, as well as protecting Irish Catholics identity too. They weren't always publicly funded (til sometime after WW2 I believe) but were given tax breaks and trustees. Now many religious families of all backgrounds like the emphasis on morality and the restrictions on sex ed as well as reputation for excellent academics. It's odd to me to publicly fund a religious school of one type but no other...however given complicated histories it's probably too difficult to change now. 

In the Netherlands, Christian and Catholic schools are publicly funded (and Islamic schools too), on the condition that they meet the prescribed curricular standards. If they don't meet those, not only do they lose funding, but they also have to close. As a result, evolutionary theory is being taught even in the fundy-Christian schools, because it is a compulsory part of the biology curriculum. Same goes for procreation. (Also, the government made this a compulsory part because they knew that otherwise Christian schools would not teach this to their students). However, while these schools are obligated to teach these subjects, they are allowed to tell their students something along the lines of "although we are going to be studying the evolutionary theory in-depth, we want you to know before we get started that evolutionary theory is not biblical and that it is just one possible way of thinking, with which we don't agree. So keep in mind that while we study this subject, it is actually God who created everything"*. But even though they are allowed to say this, at least the kids are being acquainted with other possible perspectives, and not completely being sheltered from non-fundy perspectives.

*This is not exactly what they say, it is an example of what they could be saying and would be allowed to say.

14 minutes ago, Marly said:

In the Netherlands, Christian and Catholic schools are publicly funded (and Islamic schools too), on the condition that they meet the prescribed curricular standards. If they don't meet those, not only do they lose funding, but they also have to close. As a result, evolutionary theory is being taught even in the fundy-Christian schools, because it is a compulsory part of the biology curriculum. Same goes for procreation. (Also, the government made this a compulsory part because they knew that otherwise Christian schools would not teach this to their students). However, while these schools are obligated to teach these subjects, they are allowed to tell their students something along the lines of "although we are going to be studying the evolutionary theory in-depth, we want you to know before we get started that evolutionary theory is not biblical and that it is just one possible way of thinking, with which we don't agree. So keep in mind that while we study this subject, it is actually God who created everything"*. But even though they are allowed to say this, at least the kids are being acquainted with other possible perspectives, and not completely being sheltered from non-fundy perspectives.

*This is not exactly what they say, it is an example of what they could be saying and would be allowed to say.

I'm of two minds on this: on one hand, I think it's a good way to keep religious schools out of the shadows (huge problem in the US and the UK, and it's not just Christians and Muslims; in some places, there are kids going to illegal/underground/unregulated Haredi Jewish schools who don't even know how to speak English or do basic math because all they learn is the Torah) and ensure that all or most kids in the Netherlands are getting approximately the same level of education no matter where they go to school. On the other, as an American I believe quite strongly in the separation of church and state, though my "no church and state" feelings are somewhat mitigated by the fact that based on your comment, the government funds all religious schools regardless of religion, which does make it more fair. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived