IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, xlurker said:

Regarding the pot, I seem to vaguely remember reading about pot being grown on someone's seasonal property.....

Spoiler

There is a Gilmore Girls episode in which some guys planted pot on one of Jacksons acres. He and Sookie got rid of it in huge plastic bags, behind Taylor's back of course. They considered burning it, but decided against it. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:
  Reveal hidden contents

There is a Gilmore Girls episode in which some guys planted pot on one of Jacksons acres. He and Sookie got rid of it in huge plastic bags, behind Taylor's back of course. They considered burning it, but decided against it. 

Oh, yeah, Jackson told the Templeton brothers to weed the back half-acre and apparently, they did. 

2 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I love random Gilmore Girl anecdotes!

I was at an Italian restaurant with my uncle, and he ordered “dago red” (Chianti). I was mortified, but the waiter had no idea what he was talking about.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:28 PM, Someone Out There said:

@artdecadescould it have been a permission/cost thing?  Commercial photography has different requirements to general people taking photos and can require permits.

Perhaps. Maybe they took more pictures of the sights but only posted the ones that don't include them because they didn't want to pay.

Of course, it still is funny that LA city hall is in the background (albeit blurry) since the city of LA stands for just about everything they disagree with politically 

I grew up in North Central Ohio and heard you or you'uns (yoons). Then I went to college in southwest Ohio and heard y'all a lot from the employees and students from south/southwest Ohio.

Yes, I guess I am a day late and a dollar short!

This isn't baby related, but I just noticed this tweet from Phil Johnson (2 wks ago). It seems Jeremy and Jinger are smitten with all things connected with John MacArthur. Phil Johnson is the executive director at Grace to You (part of MacArthur's empire).

The name Naveah Grace popped into my head for Jingers daughter. 

Then I came over here and found out JD is courting Abbie Grace so idk

Would Jinger and Jeremy choose a name like Neveah?

Part of me says nah, but I am sure that part of me is just the part that isn't fond of Naveah as a name. It's probably the top of their list.

On 6/29/2018 at 5:59 PM, MargaretElliott said:

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT mention the Yankees or New York in a positive manner. Death is guaranteed. 

I'm originally from Jersey..from a family of JETS fans.  Oldest Lurkerling is marrying a Boston boy, You guessed it--Pats fan :pb_surprised:  Makes for, let's say interesting,  football discussions.  Gotta say he earned points this past Christmas, he not only gave me JETS gear, but actually purchased it in person, in Boston--that was brave  :D 

I think the name Nevaeh is not going to even be on their long list of names. They are hip and trendy fundies. The name Nevaeh is neither hip nor trendy. No way. 

Olivia, Ava, Sophia or Lilly are the trendy-classic names that are really hot right now. My name vote was Ava Grace and my money is still on that, at least one of those names paired with Grace. 

8 hours ago, FJismyheadship said:

The name Naveah Grace popped into my head for Jingers daughter. 

Then I came over here and found out JD is courting Abbie Grace so idk

Would Jinger and Jeremy choose a name like Neveah?

Jinger has a niece and a sister with Grace as part of their names (Meredith Grace Duggar and Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar.) Joseph and Kendra used the middle names of two of their nephews to name their son as well (Mason Garrett and Israel David.) Garret and David are also the middle names of two Duggar sons (John David Duggar and Joseph Garrett Duggar.) And, of course, two pairs of Jinger's brothers share names as well - Joshua James/James Andrew and Jebidiah Robert/Jeremiah Robert. The Duggar family, in general, doesn’t seem to shy away from sharing or reusing names. So I wouldn’t rule out seeing the name Grace pop up more amongst the next generation.

I am still rooting for a nod to her fav sister in the baby's name.   ______  Jessa   or  Jessa _____.

5 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

I am still rooting for a nod to her fav sister in the baby's name.   ______  Jessa   or  Jessa _____.

My vote is Violet Lauren, after jessa

45 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

Blessa Grace! Or Bless Faith. Idk. Something weird like that with a nod to Jessa

I just posted in the baby name thread that I have a hunch the name is gonna be Sophia/Sofia Nicole. Although I could totally see her wanting to Jessa, too. 

On 6/29/2018 at 9:10 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

What's a dago shirt?

It looked like an ordinary shirt to me. It was of a silky material had short short sleeves and buttoned up the front. The shirt was in a flowery print. I looked twice after I heard the comment. Dago is not a nice word here. It is like calling someone of Asian descent a chink. 

18 hours ago, Jezzable said:

This isn't baby related, but I just noticed this tweet from Phil Johnson (2 wks ago). It seems Jeremy and Jinger are smitten with all things connected with John MacArthur. Phil Johnson is the executive director at Grace to You (part of MacArthur's empire).

I wish I knew what these Neo-Cals put in the water to be able to hook people on repackaged Calvinism. John Macarthur just has this off the wall cult of personality. It has drawn in otherwise intelligent, thoughtful, kind people I know like none otber. 

On 6/30/2018 at 2:28 PM, Kittikatz said:

I had no idea that dago was a derogatory term for anyone. Just checked with an Italian Canadian friend, and she didn't realize it either. Regional variations in dialect can be fascinating and confusing.

Kinda iffy about disclosing my location because it's such a small area you could probably guess the town, lol. 

But I live in the great state of the JRod (west virginia), about an hour from pittsburgh. A sizeable portion of my community are 2nd generation italian and polish immigrants. seeing the word "dago" kind of made me cringe; it's considered to be extremely offensive here. I hear a lot of slurs for polish people too...

As for geographical stereotypes... yeah, I'm essentially totally scots-irish on my paternal side (irish and dutch on maternal) , so white I reflect light. My family's lived on the same plot of land since ~1780, my ancestor was given 130 acres of land for his service in that one war. Pretty sure I'm a generous amount of inbred (my only other sibling and I are super frail).  My dad's still bitter about the civil war because no more slaves to work our land or something like that. Back in the day one of my ancestors got with a black guy; some of my older relatives refuse to confirm it and tried to erase him from the family tree? Also one of my other ancestors was an indian killer, and his daughter is my namesake. So pretty much my family line just serves as an example of all of the horrible things white people have done. Kinda stereotypical?

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the name Nevaeh is not going to even be on their long list of names. They are hip and trendy fundies. The name Nevaeh is neither hip nor trendy. No way. 

Exactly. Nevaeh was trendy 10 years ago and can die a fast death, I loath the name. 

On 6/30/2018 at 12:28 PM, Kittikatz said:

I had no idea that dago was a derogatory term for anyone. Just checked with an Italian Canadian friend, and she didn't realize it either. Regional variations in dialect can be fascinating and confusing.

I first encountered the slur "dago" in Agatha Christie novels. A certain type of racist character would use it; not only a to refer to people from Italy, but to refer to anyone with darker skin from the European side of the Mediterranean. It took my junior high aged self a few years to figure it out. I've never heard anyone use it around around here, thankfully. (Other racist slurs, unfortunately, but not that one.)

I’m going with Gianna Faith, Mia Faith, or Sofia Faith - I think they are a little infatuated with the Italian heritage.

I was always under the impression that dago refers to Italian and Spanish immigrants - it's a much older term that was used more in the 50's-70's when my mum and her siblings went to school. In some older Australian tv shows it was used alongside the word wog and no one seemed to have any issue with it. When my sisters and I were younger, it was just wog that got thrown around.

Meanwhile, the guy calling a shirt dago? Some people are bizarre, labelling inanimate objects as anything other than 'shirt, collared, royal blue and pressed'. [emoji849]

My vote is Violet Lauren, after jessa

If I ever have a daughter, Violet would be one of my choices, after the character Violet Baudelaire. I know she's a children's book character, but I love her tenacity, her ability to think ahead, that she loves and cares for Klaus and Sunny and that she's intelligent and thoughtful. All characteristics I want for my future daughter/son. I don't know that Baby Vuolo will have the opportunity to develop as fully those list of characteristics, with the exception of caring for her family.

Soooooo .... how about I keep the name Violet, and as a suggestion, maybe Lauren Grace?

1 hour ago, purjolok84 said:

I was always under the impression that dago refers to Italian and Spanish immigrants - it's a much older term that was used more in the 50's-70's when my mum and her siblings went to school. In some older Australian tv shows it was used alongside the word wog and no one seemed to have any issue with it. When my sisters and I were younger, it was just wog that got thrown around.

"Wog" in these parts refers to anyone who is NOT a Scientologist.  While I'd never expect your average person to know that, I've never heard it used in reference to a non-white person either (I had to google).   

And it's funny you mentioned "dago" and the 50's-70's and television.  I think the only time I've ever heard that word was on "All in the Family"  (a 1970's sitcom). 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived