IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Jinjer did a maternity photo shoot.  Jeremy gave Jinger a baby heartbeat necklace.  Much OT talk of geographical stereotypes.  And we likely still have a few more weeks to wait.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Beermeet

For years we had property Lake George and went often.  Beautiful!  One time, we went up and someone was growing a bunch of pot on our 81 acres.  Too funny. 

Ooh--that is where I am going on vacation this year--Lake Bolton.  never been before.  i can't wait!

@Someone Out There

What I know about Delaware (as an Australian) is that because of low or non-existant corporate taxes there, there is a building that has about 1000 corporations registered to it.  I can't remember how I came across that bit of information...

That is more than most in the US would know!  Other Delaware facts;  we are the first state, 2nd smallest state (take that, Rhode island!!), home to Vice President Joe Biden (who actually does show up at local restaurants, stores, etc.), birthplace of actress Aubrey Plaza. Being located near NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC, our unofficial motto is "so close to where you'd rather be".

@tabitha2

These stereotypes don’t just come out of thin air. There is a large grain of truth in all of them. The problem is they have become  running jokes and that’s the very first thing people think now ... Everyone in Texas is a cowboy with a Southern accent , Massachusetts is solely rich pastel colored preppies and so on.

Having moved from MA to TX in the 1970s, I can tell you that it was like moving to another universe.  I imagine that things are not so radically different between the two now, but 40 years ago, it really was striking.

Y'all know I grew up in Arkansas. When I showed a former co-worker the Google streetview of the house I grew up in, she was stunned. Her exact words:  "But it looks like a real HOUSE!" I was quite taken aback. I asked what she expected, and what she described was basically a 1920s farmhouse (white clapboard, black roof, front porch, on acreage). I grew up in a typical subdivision in a typical 60s/70s tract home that you'd find Anywhere, USA.

Okay I've got one. I'm from Indiana, but I think sweet tea is gross and actually prefer the taste of unsweetened iced tea.

39 minutes ago, Jatalie1996 said:

Okay I've got one. I'm from Indiana, but I think sweet tea is gross and actually prefer the taste of unsweetened iced tea.

Sweet tea is gross, it is like mainlining diabetes.   I wish we had clouds of weed smoke in Georgia it might make people a little less fervent in their devotion to the K’s (kountry, kristian jebus, klan-really just racism toward anybody). I actually heard a local junior leaguer ask a young man why he was wearing a dago shirt.

4 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Massachusetts is solely rich pastel colored preppies and so on.

My friend, have you ever heard of the mythical beasts called "townies"? Some say you can hear their calls of "WICKED PISSAH" echoing into the night. You can find them by following trails of nips, formerly filled with Dr. McGillicuddy's peppermint schnapps, or fireball... some have never heard the letter R in their life... if you happen to engage one in the wild, distract them by mentioning the "Sox" and slip away to safety. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT mention the Yankees or New York in a positive manner. Death is guaranteed. 

Source: my family Thanksgivings.

6 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Ooh--that is where I am going on vacation this year--Lake Bolton.  never been before.  i can't wait!

Bolton's Landing? Beautiful, beautiful place! So pretty and plenty of places to leave your money at.  Haven't been in a few years, hmmm do I need a road trip?

5 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Having moved from MA to TX in the 1970s, I can tell you that it was like moving to another universe.  I imagine that things are not so radically different between the two now, but 40 years ago, it really was striking.

So funny to see you say this... So many of our friends and family that have lived in MA over the last 20 years have commented that it feels the most like a different country out of all the places they've lived (and a handfull of those have actually lived in other countries). I wonder just what it is that makes MA so unique?  

I actually love the idea of different states having vastly different cultures and am a bit sad that we are starting to lose more and more of the individuality. I understand much of it is for the best, but I still love hearing different regional accents or flying into a different city and seeing the different trends in vehicles,  clothes, and housing. Seeing how trends in areas differ because what is practical in Florida may not be practical in Utah just makes me happy for some reason. I love having so much variety in one country! 

2 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

My friend, have you ever heard of the mythical beasts called "townies"? Some say you can hear their calls of "WICKED PISSAH" echoing into the night. You can find them by following trails of nips, formerly filled with Dr. McGillicuddy's peppermint schnapps, or fireball... some have never heard the letter R in their life... if you happen to engage one in the wild, distract them by mentioning the "Sox" and slip away to safety. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT mention the Yankees or New York in a positive manner. Death is guaranteed. 

Source: my family Thanksgivings.

True--but weirdly, that wasn't my quote that you were replying to!  Spooky!!

I lived in Massachusetts from 0-8. I reflect on those years very positively. Snow. Hurricanes. Montessori for free in the public school! Pretty leaves. Ye Olde New England Stuff. It was a good time.

4 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

True--but weirdly, that wasn't my quote that you were replying to!  Spooky!!

Strange indeed! 

3 hours ago, What the Fundie said:

Sweet tea is gross, it is like mainlining diabetes.   I wish we had clouds of weed smoke in Georgia it might make people a little less fervent in their devotion to the K’s (kountry, kristian jebus, klan-really just racism toward anybody). I actually heard a local junior leaguer ask a young man why he was wearing a dago shirt.

BLASPHEMY

So I was downtown today and thinking about their shoot. I have no clue why they chose that dirty parking structure (I’m pretty sure it’s the one across from the Disney Hall) when there are so many beautiful places in downtown la. Just driving I went past the library, the broad, the Disney Hall, City Hall, the Dorothy chandler pavilion and other nice places. Not to mention angels flight or sky space or anywhere else. But no, they chose a dirty parking lot with city hall out of focus in the background. 

@artdecadescould it have been a permission/cost thing?  Commercial photography has different requirements to general people taking photos and can require permits.

@SapphireSlytherin apparently a dago is a sleeveless t-shirt. I think most people here just call them wife beaters when worn alone or undershirts when worn under a dress shirt. I've also heard them called a-shirts (for either asshole or athletic, depending on who you ask) - it's weird that one simple type of shirt can have multiple descriptors. Suspect the naming conventions and variants are highly regional.

What's a dago shirt?

Dago is a derogatory term for an Italian. My father in law’s family had to live in “Dago Town” which was near the saw mill up in the foothills because Italians weren’t welcomed in the valley. This was California. One of the members of the family ended up becoming president of that particular lumber company and there is now a beautiful park there with plaques where all of the homesites were....And all of the non-Dagos like to have their weddings there ;)

@Kaylo - I knew the derogatory meaning, but I sisnt know there was a specific shirt tied to a specific group. Lol

14 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

BLASPHEMY

I live in a town that has a yearly sweet tea festival..lol.I like my tea unsweetened,or half lemonade,half unsweet tea..they call it an Arnold Palmer.Mr,Melon thinks that the last one is blashemy,and then calls me a "yankee".. a term I despise.

20 hours ago, What the Fundie said:

Sweet tea is gross, it is like mainlining diabetes.  

DIABETES IS NOT CAUSED BY EATING TOO MUCH SUGAR!!!!!!

Type 1 is believed to be an autoimmune disease that attacks the insulin producing cells in the pancreas

Type 2 is insulin resistance

Type 3 has a bunch of subtypes, mostly regarding pancreatic disease. My husband is a Type 3c, meaning surgically induced due to pancreatectomy. It also applies to people who develop insulin-dependent diabetes due to chronic pancreatitis. 

I don't think it's fair to call all "clean eating" (I agree that's not a great term) orthorexia. I don't think it's bad if someone wants to avoid certain foods, the problem is when it gets to the point where they can't break their diet without serious distress. It bothers me though when people act like all food restriction is disordered, as that's unfair both to people who are doing it in a healthy manner and when you're lumping everyone into the disorder category it can minimize the problems of people who actually do have disordered eating patterns or eating disorders (and again, I also think it's important to distinguish between disordered eating and full blown eating disorders). 

Edit: I just realized I posted this here and not on the "fainting couch" thread, where this would be more relevant!

23 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

For years we had property Lake George and went often.  Beautiful!  One time, we went up and someone was growing a bunch of pot on our 81 acres.  Too funny. 

That would be my NY!  It is beautiful, winters are way too long though :(  There are days when I can't believe I am lucky enough to live here, and get to walk along the lake each morning.  Regarding the pot, I seem to vaguely remember reading about pot being grown on someone's seasonal property.....

@Satan's Fortress  Ooh--that is where I am going on vacation this year--Lake Bolton.  never been before.  i can't wait!

Do you mean Bolton Landing?  Its a beautiful village on the lake--be sure to visit the Sagamore property if it is!

I had no idea that dago was a derogatory term for anyone. Just checked with an Italian Canadian friend, and she didn't realize it either. Regional variations in dialect can be fascinating and confusing.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived