IGNORED

Mrs. Jill Duggar-Dillard (Derick) 61: Now Showing Shoulders

Georgiana

On 7/19/2018 at 5:32 AM, Hashtag Blessed said:

Ha so still pure speculation, in other words. Thanks!

And I can agree that Jill going to school for nursing would be way more exciting. I doubt she ever will. Because 1. She’s convinced she’s already an expert midwife. She has that stubborn fundie insistance that their “godly” slipshod education from an unreputable mentor/institution is just as valid as actual, “worldly,” accredited instruction. And 2. Duggars aren’t work type people, as we know. Nursing is hard work. 

She’s also demonstrated that she is either unwilling or unable to prioritize her education while being her children’s sole caregiver. She half-assed her spanish lessons, and those were one-on-one private tutoring! I imagine that she would walk into a nursing college and expect special treatment and extra slack because she’s a mother. Not realizing that plenty of people in school are parents and are still expected to work just as hard and meet all the same requirements. I also imagine she’d suffer some social consequences if she placed her children in daycare or had a family member watch them while she attends. Sister moms don’t count, of course. So maybe she’ll go to school once she gives birth to a girl and can pass off some of her responsibilities.

She's never going because she lacks even a basic education, let alone the ability to test into a JR college level nursing program. I just can't see that happening without a massive amount of remedial work and test preparation...which would take time, grit and determination.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

That would be my concern with a later bedtime- how late do they sleep in? Kids that young should be getting 10-12 hours of nighttime sleep. Do they really let them sleep in until noon? Are they even able to sleep in that late- for most kids that young their natural clocks will wake them up earlier in the morning no matter what time they went to bed. My 5 month old goes to bed between 6:30-7pm and wakes up about that same time frame in the AM so a bedtime of 1am is just crazy to me.

Yeah, I'm a total night owl, but I still think there are a lot of issues with putting children to bed that late. If they are getting their twelve hours of sleep, that means they are getting up at 1 pm, and are missing lots of opportunities for meeting up with other children, and in the wintertime, just getting outside to play while it's light out.

Also, I really think raising your children to believe that waking up in the afternoon is normal will make jobs and school very difficult. I could happily go to bed at 3 am and wake up at 11 am every day, but that's not the schedule the rest of the world is on and I understand I need to adjust. 

I don't see why they couldn't just let Sam down to toddle around while he read that stupid book. Sam would still receive the benefits that a child gets from hearing a story read aloud but he wouldn't be frustrated and angry about being confined. And Israel could enjoy the story and not have to worry about comforting his brother.

Oh, silly me. For a second I thought that the Dillards might actually be concerned about their childrens' happiness and development.

I'm not really sure why we're bending over backwards to speculate that things aren't how Jill has presented them to be. Jill posted a video with a clock in it. The clock says it is almost 1am. There's no evidence at all that the clock might be wrong, not even circumstantial evidence.Derick refers to it being nighttime ("not tonight" in response to Izzy's request).

Jill has posted about many other questionable parenting decisions they have made. Why are we trying to give them the benefit of the doubt? Why can't we take the clock at face value?

1 minute ago, sparklymagie said:

I'm not really sure why we're bending over backwards to speculate that things aren't how Jill has presented them to be. Jill posted a video with a clock in it. The clock says it is almost 1am. There's no evidence at all that the clock might be wrong, not even circumstantial evidence.Derick refers to it being nighttime ("not tonight" in response to Izzy's request).

Jill has posted about many other questionable parenting decisions they have made. Why are we trying to give them the benefit of the doubt? Why can't we take the clock at face value?

We can take the clock at face value, but I agree we probably shouldn't.  We know they get up at some point in the morning, so not at 1 PM, the kids don't look like they are as crazy sleep deprived as that would indicate.  Its not uncommon for a clock, which is mostly a noise thing, to have the wrong time.  

Also there is questionable and there is crazy.  While I think Jill might do some crazy things, I'm sure they don't only wake up in the afternoon, so that seems a little extreme.  Even if it is that late, I would bet it is not the norm.  

1 am is too late for kids of that age to be up, sorry but it's true. It's one thing to be a night owl and put down your 1 (!!) year-old at 9 or 10 pm instead of 7:30 like most people but 1 am is not healthy based on our circadian rhythms and rises/falls in melatonin. Kids of their age sleep on average 11 hrs a night. So let's say after this story they go to bed and are asleep at 1:30 am, means they will sleep until 12:30 pm the next day. That's a messed up schedule that affects what they can do during the day as well. For example, it's much better for kids to be up and exposed to natural light and running around and playing outside all day. Israel and Samuel would have like 7 hours of daylight during which, by the way, at least Sam would nap a couple of hours thus bringing him down to maybe 5. Hello, that's like prisoner level and it's insane. And if they don't get up that late but at 9 am then they are horribly sleep deprived. Which may explain why Izzy always has dark circles under his eyes and why the boys are often sick (immune system would take a massive hit).

I'm a corporate lawyer, 9 years out of law school now so pretty established in my career. Granted I went to a top 5 law school in the country and worked at arguably the best corporate law firm in the country but I was easily doing 80, 90 hours of BILLABLE work the first 2-3 years. There is absolutely no way that Derrick has that type of work ethic in him, there is no way Jill would tolerate him being away, and on top of that he has a horribly unattractive personality so his odds of attracting profitable clientele is about zero. What a waste of time and money for him. Maybe some people think he'll go the Christian right lawyer route and operate in Trump country essentially but let's get real there is no shortage of those lawyers already, and plenty of them far more competent than him.

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

In general I think Derick falls in love with concepts and not reality. He wanted A Godly Wife, not Jill. He wanted To Be A Missionary In A Far Off Land, not deal with the culture shock of living in a foreign country with actual adult responsibilities instead of just being a backpacker bum. He wanted Strapping Sons, not two energetic toddlers with personalities, wants, and needs. He wants to Be A Lawyer, and will likely fall out of love with it when he actually has to make sacrifices and effort. 

This is a really good explanation of his mindset. I think a lot of us do this early on when we are first adults, but most grow out of it quickly when we experience the consequences and see that we need to change our decision-making processes. It's weird that Derick just keeps going back to the same dip shit well. 

Also, how long will this go on for? I'm willing to be $1,000 right now he doesn't finish law school. How many more kids will appear in the next five years?

And how soon will Jim Bob get tired of supporting them? Jim Bob Duggar is a lot of things, but lazy and a fool with money are not two of them. 

6 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

We can take the clock at face value, but I agree we probably shouldn't.  We know they get up at some point in the morning, so not at 1 PM, the kids don't look like they are as crazy sleep deprived as that would indicate.  Its not uncommon for a clock, which is mostly a noise thing, to have the wrong time.  

Also there is questionable and there is crazy.  While I think Jill might do some crazy things, I'm sure they don't only wake up in the afternoon, so that seems a little extreme.  Even if it is that late, I would bet it is not the norm.  

Respectfully, these are still just assumptions. We don't know what time the kids get up, if the clock is just a white nose machine, or even how the kids act in a daily basis. We just get snippets. I'm not sure Jill and Derick have earned the benefit of these assumptions. 

If we're looking at a range of possibilities, I think it's also fair to say that most people will keep a clock that they have to look at every day and is in one of the most important/used rooms in the house at the correct time. On the flip side, and to be fair, Jill and Derick have also shown themselves to be lazy.

I do agree, however, that we don't know whether, even if it is 1am, that is the normal bedtime and cannot draw such a conclusion from this video. 

2 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

Respectfully, these are still just assumptions. We don't know what time the kids get up, if the clock is just a white nose machine, or even how the kids act in a daily basis. We just get snippets. I'm not sure Jill and Derick have earned the benefit of these assumptions. 

If we're looking at a range of possibilities, I think it's also fair to say that most people will keep a clock that they have to look at every day and is in one of the most important/used rooms in the house at the correct time. On the flip side, and to be fair, Jill and Derick have also shown themselves to be lazy.

I do agree, however, that we don't know whether, even if it is 1am, that is the normal bedtime and cannot draw such a conclusion from this video. 

Thats fair, I admit there are a lot of assumptions being made.  :)

All this talk is making me feel embarrassed about the clock in my bedroom that's still on daylight savings. :pb_biggrin:

I actually think most people tell time with their cell phones these days, and don't bother with clocks in their house as much.  I have three clocks in my kitchen and only one has the correct time, the one on my stove and I have frequently not reset that one during power flicks when the time is constantly being reset.

I'm not saying Derick and Jill are or are not keeping their kids up to 1 am, just that I think there is a possibility the clock might not be correct.

I'm going to drop the subject now 'cause I think that dead parrot might be coming into play soon.

17 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

All this talk is making me feel embarrassed about the clock in my bedroom that's still on daylight savings. :pb_biggrin:

Oh man. I HATE Daylight Savings Time! It always messes me up and I always forget to change the clock in my car for the longest time. I wish we would get rid of it. 

I predict:

Next pregnancy announcements: Lauren, Jessa, Joy, Kendra, Anna.

I bet Lauren, Jessa, and Joy will announce in 2018 before Christmas with Kendra and Anna announcing in 2019.

I predict we will see a sadder Jill, submitting to Derrick’s order that they practice NFP or use condoms.

AM:  after midnight

PM: post munchies   (Lunch - shall we have something to munch?  I am getting peckish.)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived