IGNORED

Karissa Collins: Quiverfull Public Facebook, Instagram, and Blog

luv2laugh

19 hours ago, katilac said:

Well, I don't think it's enough money to make a dent in rehab and supporting children, but I'm not at all arguing that it's a particularly cost-effective (or even effective) program. I'm just saying that I don't feel particularly bad for anyone who has abused/neglected children, and then can't have more bc they got sterilized for cash. Or for any other reason. 

But why do you think they should be sterilised and sent back to their kids who are being abused/neglected, rather than prosecuted for abuse/supported to be a better person so not be neglectful? 

The idea that looking at someone who is abusing/neglecting children and thinking "sterilise the parent" is the solution is just baffling to me - there are literally thousands of other interventions that are far more effective, short and long term.  It sounds like you're saying the most important thing is to prevent them giving birth to more children rather than helping the existing children/punishing abusers/stopping them being around kids in other ways, and that is baffling to me.

13 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I was over-prescribed.  I think perhaps many people who are also over-prescribed start off "following dr's orders" and take it ALL and then ... 

Here in the UK, there are regular public health campaigns about the importance of taking a full course of medication, even if you feel better.  Now, we don't have opioid prescribing here, but I can 100% see how people can so easily end up hooked when given them like you were - especially with all the evil about how opioids were actively pushed.  As always, John Oliver puts it all so well - and to treat people who were victims of this as irredeemably evil/broken/can never be fully human again, is just adding insult to injury.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

HELLO.  I was given *60* oxy pills following a knee scope.  I took *one.*  The thought of being zoned out for 30 days was overwhelming. 

I was over-prescribed.  I think perhaps many people who are also over-prescribed start off "following dr's orders" and take it ALL and then ... 

I can't even take codeine with out getting totally stoned.  I cannot imagine taking anything stronger, even for surgery. 

56 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Here in the UK, there are regular public health campaigns about the importance of taking a full course of medication, even if you feel better. 

That mostly just applies to antibiotics.  People tend to stop taking them when they feel better (especially for UTIs) and end up breeding resistant bacteria.  I recall an acquaintance complaining that she had a UTI again, but she didn't have to go to the doctor, because she had antibiotics left over from the last time.  Um, that's why you have another one, honey.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

@zeebaneighba Yup, and things like malaria pills too - there was some pop star who got malaria due to stopping her pills too early because she hard got home from her holiday and felt fine.  Plus things like anti-depressants, where doctors warn people not to just come off them because they feel better, but to do it in conjunction with the GP.  There are tons of different thing where the message is "take them all".

• Upvote 7

Yes, there are.  Which is why I said mostly.  It certainly doesn't apply to narcotic pain pills, where the message should be "Only take these if you absolutely have exhausted all other methods of pain relief!."

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

26 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

Yes, there are.  Which is why I said mostly.  It certainly doesn't apply to narcotic pain pills, where the message should be "Only take these if you absolutely have exhausted all other methods of pain relief!."

I agree! 

I have a friend who was given oxycodone after her c/s, and they advised her to stay on a schedule to "keep on top of the pain" I think she was given 30pills. When she ran out she had her husband pick up more, her off course couldn't do that, after a couple calls to the Drs office where she was told she shouldn't still be needing to take them. She was mortified to discover at that time she was taking an opioid. She had no idea. She thought that the pills were some how needed to heal the incision. She thought she was required to take all they pills, not that they were an as needed kind of thing. Granted she's not always the sharpest tack in the box, but I'm sure that scenario is fairly common. 

@Lurky what do you mean by "we don't have opioid prescribing here"?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

@Anonymousguest There's very well documented evidence that the USA is in the grip of an opioid crisis, and in the UK (and most Western countries) we don't have the easy prescribing of opioid-based painkillers that's been around in the USA for decades.  When they're prescribed in the USA, they're SO much less common, given at  lower doses and shorter runs, and given with a ton of advice about not getting hooked etc etc.  So it would be a scandal to get given them without knowing what they were (I am 100% not blaming people for not realising, because I completely get why people trust doctors).  The USA opioid issue seems driven by profit-hungry drug companies (per the John Oliver video) and there are (generally) more regulations to stop that happening here (until the NHS is dismantled....).

So an anecdotal example:  when TV/Hollywood stars started talking about being "addicted to painkillers" in the 90s/00s, it was pretty confusing here, because the things you can get over the counter in the UK are very weak, relative to Vicodin etc, so the terminology of "pain killer" makes the average Brit think about ibuprofen rather than opioids, and it was seen as weird.

Just googling "opioid crisis" leads to specifically North American issues, because it's a geographically/culturally specific phenom:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_epidemic

https://www.hhs.gov/opioids/about-the-epidemic/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/25/americas-opioid-crisis-how-prescription-drugs-sparked-a-national-trauma and https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/opioids

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Lurky said:

But why do you think they should be sterilised and sent back to their kids who are being abused/neglected, rather than prosecuted for abuse/supported to be a better person so not be neglectful? 

The idea that looking at someone who is abusing/neglecting children and thinking "sterilise the parent" is the solution is just baffling to me - there are literally thousands of other interventions that are far more effective, short and long term.  It sounds like you're saying the most important thing is to prevent them giving birth to more children rather than helping the existing children/punishing abusers/stopping them being around kids in other ways, and that is baffling to me.

Whoa, Lurky, slow your roll - you are ascribing a whole bunch of things to me that I never said or implied. Pretty much all I said was that I didn't feel that bad for abusive/neglectful parents who go the sterilization route and later regret it. I didn't compare it to other interventions and declare it superior, I didn't even say it was a good intervention. I simply said my sympathy for parents in the above scenario is quite limited.

Also, keep in mind that it is a private organization offering the birth control and sterilization options. A prosecution is up to the law, not this private organization. It's not this organization OR prosecution OR rehab OR whatever. 

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

So an anecdotal example:  when TV/Hollywood stars started talking about being "addicted to painkillers" in the 90s/00s, it was pretty confusing here, because the things you can get over the counter in the UK are very weak, relative to Vicodin etc, so the terminology of "pain killer" makes the average Brit think about ibuprofen rather than opioids, and it was seen as weird.

Just to clarify, ibuprofen is pretty much what we can get over the counter in the states as well. We can't even get anything with mild codeine it it, which I think you can? 

• Upvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

So an anecdotal example:  when TV/Hollywood stars started talking about being "addicted to painkillers" in the 90s/00s, it was pretty confusing here, because the things you can get over the counter in the UK are very weak, relative to Vicodin etc, so the terminology of "pain killer" makes the average Brit think about ibuprofen rather than opioids, and it was seen as weird

Ok, I wasnt sure if you were saying you had no opioids, or if they were over the counter like the codeine mentioned. I have a British friend who takes Tramadol daily for chronic pain so I know it's available there. The only pain killers we can get over over the counter are ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen and acetaminophen. Abusers are either getting it from different Drs or buying it off the street.

• Upvote 4

So in short... a woman's purpose in life is to have as many kids as possible. Her daughters' purpose in life is to... have as many kids as possible.

That's so bleak. PASS.

I've been working on my family tree(s), and I'm pretty sure the women in the 1800s that had tons of kids would be envious of our ability these days to prevent pregnancy. They would probably consider people like Karissa to be insane (especially since she doesn't seem to have a farm). Of course... when you have a *choice* to have 0 kids or 'as many as possible', things take on a different perspective then if it was an inevitable that marriage = children.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Ok, I wasnt sure if you were saying you had no opioids, or if they were over the counter like the codeine mentioned. I have a British friend who takes Tramadol daily for chronic pain so I know it's available there. The only pain killers we can get over over the counter are ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen and acetaminophen. Abusers are either getting it from different Drs or buying it off the street.

I think what she mainly was trying to say is that in most Western European countries, doctors are very hesitant when it comes to prescribing opioids. To give a personal example: my niece suffered a complicated fracture of her knee in France during the past winter, and during the three days she had to wait for surgery she was allowed one morphine pill a day, and the physician told her that if she experienced a lot of pain but had already taken the morphine/the morphine had already worn off, she should use acetaminophen.  After the surgery she was again only given 7 morphine pills, to last her a week, and told to not use those if possible and fight the pain with acetaminophen. She returned home (the Netherlands) from the hospital one day after the surgery, and during the first week she experienced so much pain that she called her Dutch physician to ask for more morphine, but he refused to prescribe her more. She was told that it works addictive and that the pain should be getting a little less intense every day, and if she would continue to take morphine it would also feel like the pain would never be getting less, and that would obstruct the healing process. It really sucked for her the first three weeks after the surgery. She barely slept because of the pain and she felt completely miserable due to the pain and the sleep deprivation. But after that it did get better, and after having read stories from people who had suffered the same fracture and were prescribed a lot of opioids and had gotten addicted to it, she was glad that her physicians had been so stern in not wanting to prescribe her more.
When my mom fractured her ankle, after the surgery she was also only given enough painkillers for a week, with the advice to only take them when the pain was really overwhelming (preferably during the night to allow for a good night's sleep) and to try to use acetaminophen to relieve the pain instead. I remember my mom complaining around the second day after the surgery that her doctors had probably never experienced a fracture themselves or they would better understand that acetaminophen is not nearly strong enough to relieve the pain of a complex fracture.
After my nieces experience I asked around in my friend group, and most of them had had personal experiences or could provide annecdotes that confirmed the general apprehension of doctors with regards to prescribing opioids.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

She says her seven children have a mission to share Christ?  That baby looks awfully young to have told her that, but I guess mothers just know . . .

• Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 7

On her second blog, she detailed having cardiac and neurological issues. She had a hole in heart that was surgically repaired. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Marly said:

I think what she mainly was trying to say is that in most Western European countries, doctors are very hesitant when it comes to prescribing opioids. To give a personal example: my niece suffered a complicated fracture of her knee in France during the past winter, and during the three days she had to wait for surgery she was allowed one morphine pill a day, and the physician told her that if she experienced a lot of pain but had already taken the morphine/the morphine had already worn off, she should use acetaminophen.  After the surgery she was again only given 7 morphine pills, to last her a week, and told to not use those if possible and fight the pain with acetaminophen. She returned home (the Netherlands) from the hospital one day after the surgery, and during the first week she experienced so much pain that she called her Dutch physician to ask for more morphine, but he refused to prescribe her more. She was told that it works addictive and that the pain should be getting a little less intense every day, and if she would continue to take morphine it would also feel like the pain would never be getting less, and that would obstruct the healing process. It really sucked for her the first three weeks after the surgery. She barely slept because of the pain and she felt completely miserable due to the pain and the sleep deprivation. But after that it did get better, and after having read stories from people who had suffered the same fracture and were prescribed a lot of opioids and had gotten addicted to it, she was glad that her physicians had been so stern in not wanting to prescribe her more.
When my mom fractured her ankle, after the surgery she was also only given enough painkillers for a week, with the advice to only take them when the pain was really overwhelming (preferably during the night to allow for a good night's sleep) and to try to use acetaminophen to relieve the pain instead. I remember my mom complaining around the second day after the surgery that her doctors had probably never experienced a fracture themselves or they would better understand that acetaminophen is not nearly strong enough to relieve the pain of a complex fracture.
After my nieces experience I asked around in my friend group, and most of them had had personal experiences or could provide annecdotes that confirmed the general apprehension of doctors with regards to prescribing opioids.

Pain is actually a deterrent to healing.  Your body is fighting whatever it is that it has to heal from, it does not need to waste the healing "energy" on fighting pain.  I've heard that from a couple of people in the medical field and it makes sense to me.  I'm not a doctor or a nurse, etc., that's just what I've heard and I think works.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Briefly said:

Pain is actually a deterrent to healing.  Your body is fighting whatever it is that it has to heal from, it does not need to waste the healing "energy" on fighting pain.  I've heard that from a couple of people in the medical field and it makes sense to me.  I'm not a doctor or a nurse, etc., that's just what I've heard and I think works.

Oh I agree. And I do think my niece was under-prescribed. Especially since she was barely able to sleep, while her body needed that energy to recover. I think this would be the other extreme end, as opposed to over-prescribing. I do agree with taking a cautious approach when it comes to prescribing opioids, but I also think no one should have to be in agony after sustaining a serious injury or after surgery when we have medications that can ease the pain. 

• Upvote 7

WTF Karissa?!?! Her 6 girls DESERVE to run the world. How dare she put their picture up and say actually say they (women), “are not designed to be greater than a man”. 

:censor2::angry-screaming::angry-cussing::angry-banghead:

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 7
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

WTF Karissa?!?!

:censor2::angry-screaming::angry-cussing::angry-banghead:

What the heck is wrong with women in charge? Oh gosh, two movies, two whole movies, all about women. Centuries upon centuries of men in charge and two whole movies about women are the end of the world???!!!

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Misspelled a name
  • Upvote 11

A prettier, younger, Quiverfull Lori Alexander #2?

Karissa has, so far, 6 beautiful daughters that are going to be brainwashed with this crap. I cannot believe how Karissa wants to limit her daughters’ potential to do what THEY want life!!!!!!! 

This is the most twisted part of her post:

“We were not designed to run the world. We were not designed to be independent and single mothers. We were not designed to be greater than men. “

HOW DARE she put up a photo of her six daughters and say they aren’t designed to run the world nor be greater than a man!!!!!

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 6
  • Disgust 2

"Men are very manly and tough and that's why it's important for them to lead because they are braver and tougher and smarter than women.  But also they aren't coming to Church because the women are TOO SCARY."

Girl, if women sitting in a building is all it takes to scare your men away, I have news for you:

• Those men are weak and cowardly AND
  • If a woman is strong enough to scare a man, she's strong enough to lead men.

Sorry Christianity isn't "cut throat" or "competitive" enough for you.  Maybe take that one up with Jesus though.  Like, ask him to maybe put some WIDE STANCE competitions in the Bible instead of all of this "take care of people" garbage.  

Also Jesus was a feminist.  Very obviously and radically so for His day.  This is pretty consistent throughout the Gospels.  That's one of the reasons that the early Church was often dominated by women.  He could have chosen ANYONE to be the first witness to His resurrection, and He chose a WOMAN.  Sure, maybe it was because the men were all cowering in a safe-house because they are brave tough guys, but He could have appeared there if He wanted to.  He didn't.  

Jesus decided that the first person to preach the Good News of the Risen Christ should be FEMALE.  

All that "women should be silent" stuff?  That's NOT Jesus.  That all comes from regular dudes who often had their own agendas.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

What I'm getting from this chick is "I wanted to be a famous singer, but instead I'm stuck at home with a bunch of children, so I'm going to make it look as attractive as possible so no other woman - and especially not my daughters - will dare to dream of better. If I can't follow my dreams, I won't allow my daughters to have dreams."

She does remind me a bit of Lori "I'm a miserable loveless shrew that doesn't want anyone else to be happy either" Alexander.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Karissa is far more depressing and dangerous than Lori because of her influence. No one pays attention to old harpy Lori and her kids are all married adults living their own lives regardless of what she spouts. Karissa is young and has a beautiful family with enticing pictures. Karissa is going to brainwash her 6 (and counting) daughters not to have dreams and that they aren’t better than men and don’t deserve to rule the world. Sick sick sick. Karissa is also bound to spawn copycats because of her followers. She’s getting a ton of exposure lately.

Her FB posts are public because she wants the exposure and someone really should set her straight in the comments. Her daughters deserve to choose a different lifestyle than hers. Even JB & Michelle, whether genuine or not, said they are letting their kids decide their own lives and own convictions. 

Her daughters are beautiful people of color and the fact that she wants to limit their potential so that they only grow up to do it “The Karissa Way” is horrific. Her daughters deserve to have any opportunities they want in the world.

Society has been ruled by patriarchal, white, wealthy men and she wants to limit her daughters potential even further. I cannot believe her. I am nauseated.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 2

Women are being raped, beaten, abandoned, starved, deprived of education in male-run societies around the world. Would she trade her life with theirs for just one day? Just one day? Explain this shit, princess! No, more Jesus isn't the answer. (She lives in a country that is 70% Christian.  Obviously, women having some freedoms doesn't translate to hell on earth for christians.)  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Women are being raped, beaten, abandoned, starved, deprived of education in male-run societies around the world. Would she trade her life with theirs for just one day? Just one day? Explain this shit, princess! No, more Jesus isn't the answer. (She lives in a country that is 70% Christian.  Obviously, women having some freedoms doesn't translate to hell on earth for christians.)  

Exactly. She can have this view because she doesn't have to worry about having to feed and find shelter for her passel of children. She doesn't have to literally scounge for food and pray that her children don't starve to death. She lives a comfortable life, and most likely her daughters will too. 

Anyone hear the bit on NPR today about HIV and food insecurity? Very thought provoking. The expert being interviewed said while interviewing women in some African countries one said, I can have sex and maybe contact HIV and live 5-7 more years, but I can feed my children. Or I can not have sex and my children will die tomorrow.

• Sad 10

There's something extra gross about a white mother under-educating and brainwashing her black daughters into not using birth control. Black women don't get praised for having more children than they can support. They get vilified. I really worry for them, more than most fundie girls, even. The world won't be as kind to them as it is to their mother. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked, unlocked, locked and unlocked this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic