IGNORED

Zara’s Baby Daughter...

tabitha2

I mean they could have known the sex before the pregnancy was made public. But Ircc he made similar comments before she was pregnant. And it still sounded a bit desperate considering he has two daughters that can easily find those comments.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

• 2 months later...

My aunt had six boys. Numbers three through six are well aware that she wanted a girl each time at that point. Her widower told us awhile back that that’s the reason they had five then six. 
Their sons laugh about it and are not scarred for life. They also say that by the time the last two came along a girl might not have survived their house anyway. It was Malcolm in the Middle in real life. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate when it’s said/written where the other kids (if there are any, I know many people have a preference for their first baby too) can hear/read it. Even if one doesn’t intend to send the message that the sex they don’t have is better, the impact can absolutely still be there.

I also hate when people other than the expecting couple comment on it, especially some phrasing. When I was about 7 months pregnant with our middle child a waitress at a restaurant that I frequently visited (so she’d known me in that context for years by this point) saw the belly and said “Hopefully this one is a girl, and then you can be done.” The assumption being we’d only have more children if we didn’t get the “right” one this time.

So many people, both strangers and close to us, made comments during my third full term pregnancy about us “having to have” a girl this time. People could be really blatant about it, even though my oldest was old enough to wonder why another boy would be bad and have feelings about the comments.

Every time we chose to be open to pregnancy, it was for whomever came our way. Any sex (and later, gender) was totally fine to us. We just wanted that baby, whomever they were and would be.

I think it is very normal if a parent to be does have a preference, which can be based on many reasons. And I think there are ways to express that without causing harm to anyone. Unfortunately though there are other ways that can/do cause harm. I think it is important to think and talk about in order to minimized those potential harms. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1