IGNORED

Justice Kennedy is retiring

JillyO

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already contacted both of my senators, neither of whom want Kavanaugh in the SCOTUS:

Kavanaugh may not be a god choice after all

http://time.com/5334098/donald-trump-brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court/

Some conservatives are also concerned about Kavanaugh’s involvement in the Bill Clinton investigation, during which he argued that Clinton could be impeached for lying to his employees and misleading the public. With the ongoing Russia investigation, this line of reasoning could be damaging to Trump.

but at least he has good hair

https://www.bustle.com/p/this-white-house-brett-kavanaugh-press-release-made-sure-to-note-how-great-his-hair-is-9835999

In an attempt to drum up support for President Trump's latest Supreme Court nominee, the White House highlighted Brett Kavanagh's "great hair" in a press release and email to reporters on Friday. The quote is from an article published Thursday in the New York Times, a newspaper Trump has repeatedly dismissed as "FAKE NEWS," in which a one of Kavanaugh's former law students is quoted praising his hair.

The New York Times: “‘Best Professor.’ ‘Very Evenhanded.’ ‘Great Hair!’: Brett Kavanaugh, as Seen by His Law Students” is the headline to the Times piece, which is largely an overview of anonymous course evaluations that Kavanaugh received while teaching law at Harvard, Yale, and Georgetown. The main takeaway of the article is that Kavanaugh, by and large, received glowing reviews from his students. The White House website quoted some parts of the article verbatim but didn't publish it in full. For instance, the White House omitted a section in which The Timesaccurately notes that the praise for Kavanaugh's hair is "not particularly germane to his teaching."

The only Supremes who should be judged on hair quality are the 60s singing group, not members of SCOTUS. Silly me, I worry more about a potential jurist's record and temperament.

• 2 weeks later...

And there's this: 

Sarah continues: 

I was wondering if anyone besides SCOTUS nom Kavanaugh had mysteriously spent $200,000 on baseball tickets, and hey, money launderer Paul Manafort did!

So two issues are unfolding (I think. It's confusing and nothing is confirmed.)  As I understand it,  one issue is that "somehow" Kavanaugh was able to pay off $200,000 in debt.  The other issues is: Why wrack up $200,000 in debt for Yankees tickets in the first place?

One tweeter noted that baseball tickets are a great way to launder money, and disguise spending cash on unsavory pursuits you don't want anyone to know about -- gambling, a mistress, paying off your blackmailer, those types of things. 

Interesting times ahead for Kavanaugh's confirmation.  People have the scent of the potential for some type of scandal and they'll be digging hard to uncover anything and everything about Kavanaugh. 

7 hours ago, Howl said:

Interesting times ahead for Kavanaugh's confirmation.  People have the scent of the potential for some type of scandal and they'll be digging hard to uncover anything and everything about Kavanaugh. 

Will it really matter, though? I get the feeling that no matter what scandal may be dug up, the Repugliklans won’t hesitate to confirm him anyway. 

To me, it smells like Kavanaugh is heavily indebted to the Presidunce and/or his cronies. They want — no, they need someone on the Supreme Court who’s in their pocket and who’ll rule in their favor when they need him to. Their very survival may depend on it.

Now this all sounds pretty dire. Supreme Court Justices are appointed for life after all. But I can’t believe there is no contingency in the Constitution that deals with corruption like this, nor that there are no checks and balances for the judicial side of the trias politica. Plus, even if there isn’t, why would such a flaw — or any flaw for that matter — in the Constitution be incorrectable? The Constitution isn’t set in stone now is it? Even though people act like it is. That is what Congress is supposed to be for. Not only to enforce the checks and balances on the Administration, but also the checks and balances on the Judiciary.

And this is yet another reason why all Americans must vote in November. America desperately needs a Congress that does what it’s supposed to do. Democracy depends on it.

Sweet Rufus. 

I stil stand by my post above. This won’t make much of a difference to the Repugliklans.

Another piece of evidence of how badly the R’s need Kavanaugh, and that they are actively repressing information to get him.

Serious question: could those documents be released under FOIA?

The stories about Kavanaugh's debts bother me. I think he could be easily blackmailed or bought off if he became a Justice

50 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

The stories about Kavanaugh's debts bother me. I think he could be easily blackmailed or bought off if he became a Justice

And that's precisely why the Repugliklans are pushing so hard to get him on the Supreme Court. They're so desperate to get him installed that...

The presidunce will withhold 100,000 pages of Kavanaugh’s White House records

The Trump administration is withholding more than 100,000 pages of Brett Kavanaugh's records from the Bush White House on the basis of presidential privilege ahead of the Supreme Court nominee's confirmation hearing.

The Senate Judiciary Committee was notified of the action Friday. George W. Bush's attorney Bill Burck told the panel it had essentially completed its work compiling documents, according to a letter obtained by The Associated Press. Bush directed them to err "on the side of transparency and disclosure, and we believe we have done so."

But the current administration is also able to review the records, and the Trump White House "has directed that we not provide these documents," the letter says.

In all, 267,000 pages of Kavanaugh documents from his Bush years are being made public.

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer called it "a Friday night document massacre."

Schumer said the decision to withhold the documents "has all the makings of a cover-up. ... What are they trying so desperately to hide?"

• 2 weeks later...

When will the new SCOTUS be elected?

The other day, I saw a very interesting Netflix documentary, Reversing Roe. Very disturbing.

Forty-five years after it revolutionized abortion law in America, the landmark 1973 US Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade is once again at a crossroads. In their timely new documentary REVERSING ROE, filmmakers Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg present a deeply illuminating look of the state of abortion and women's rights in America. The film offers candid and riveting interviews with key figures from both sides of the divide, Intense and unflinching in its commitment to telling the whole story, REVERSING ROE provides a gripping look at what's happening on the ground in 2018. Drawing from a wealth of historical footage, it charts the period leading up to the Roe decision-and documents the opposition that has followed ever since.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/reversing_roe/

7 hours ago, Rosalie said:

When will the new SCOTUS be elected?

The Senate is currently scheduled to vote on Kavanaugh at 1:45pm ET on September 20th. 

4 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I'm already cringing at what I know is in store for this woman. I hope she has a large circle of people looking out for her, because the pro-Kavanaugh people are going to make her life a living hell. :pb_sad:

Archived