IGNORED

Michael Avenatti

Cartmann99

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I think it might be a little counterproductive if his strategy is to attack Dem leaders. I mean, whatever their chances of being elected president may be, y'all need quite a few tired experienced establishment Democrats to win elections in November.

We will definitely need some people who understand the many nuances of foreign policy, including trade, immigration, environmental protection, the threats posed by Russia, North Korea, and other countries hostile to democratic forms of government, and who can craft a new and positive foreign policy for the US and, hopefully, re-establish our position as a world leader.  I think this definitely calls for experience.

Remember when the White House used to host formal state dinners with first class entertainment and menus? I think the Trump WH has hosted ONE, (and did not invite Democratic leaders), and it was highly praised, as I recall, for what a wonderful job Melania did, but these dinners used to be held often for the purpose of entertaining foreign heads of state and other foreign dignitaries who visited. Those visits seem to have dropped considerably, but they are an important part of American diplomacy, but not important to the Trump WH. Probably just as well. 

• Upvote 5

I agree that some experience is needed. I disagree though, that it has to be tired and old. Instead, young (relatively speaking) and enthusiastic experience is necessary, in my opinion. Why should septa- and octagenarians be the ones to represent the whole country? Let the younger generations, who are much more connected to the majority of the population have their turn too. A healthy mix of all generations, preferably mirroring the generational demographics of the country, should be representing you.

But the most important thing is not their age. Rather, a lack of corruption and ties to big corporations and bilionnaires is absolutely vital. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Let the younger generations, who are much more connected to the majority of the population have their turn too...

But the most important thing is not their age. Rather, a lack of corruption and ties to big corporations and bilionnaires is absolutely vital. 

Perhaps they are starting as with what happened in New York and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez winning.  Maybe it will be a young tide that turns thing around, but I hope things don't get fractured so much that the repugs win control again. 

Personally, I agree with your assessment that the lack of corruption is most vital. I feel there needs to be term limits on Senators and Congress.  Oh yeah and no special retirement and healthcare benefits for life. They need to have what the rest of us get.But I digress,  too many irl talks lately....

Edited by WiseGirl
Clarity
  • Upvote 7

Russian bots and trolls are all over the political civility issue on social media.  Combating Russian bot influence is THE first step toward winning in November and 2020. If there is the blue tsunami in November, there's a possibility of fighting this.  Because Russian influence through social media benefits Trumpublicans, there is zero motivation on their part to even recognize it, much less combat it. 

Anyway, Avenatti.  Someone has referred to him as a honey badger.  He could do an astounding job of rallying the troops.  A Castro at the top of the ticket; Avenatti as VP?  He's a master of twitter and already has created what could be the best Dem rallying cry: #Basta!  (basta means enough in Spanish). 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Howl said:

Anyway, Avenatti.  Someone has referred to him as a honey badger.  He could do an astounding job of rallying the troops.  A Castro at the top of the ticket; Avenatti as VP?  He's a master of twitter and already has created what could be the best Dem rallying cry: #Basta!  (basta means enough in Spanish). 

How about Attorney General?

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Bethella said:

How about Attorney General?

Oh my goodness, yes, YES. Brilliant! 

• Upvote 4

Avenatti is an interesting character,  but I don't think he would ever run for office; he has too much baggage and some questionable connections.  And then there are those bankruptcies.  .  . He is a hell of a street fighter, though, I can understand why Stormy Daniels hired him. I would certainly want him to be on my side, but he strikes me more as someone who works behind the scenes, not someone who demonstrates the leadership characteristics of an Obama.

• Upvote 8

Manchurian candidate!  How apt. 

Click here for the Wiki on The Manchurian Candidate, first a 1959 novel and then two films. 

But yeah, watch for Devin Nunes showing Trump a queen of diamonds playing card. 

A Russian spy screwing with the NRA, Trump fluffing Putin in front of the world.   I keep thinking it can't get any weirder and then IT DOES.

The good news.  Trump did not fire Rosenstein yesterday.   

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Howl said:

Manchurian candidate!

We have the book and old movie, so watched it with our daughter the night before last.  It's an interesting propaganda piece/commentary on another screwed up time in American history.  We have discussed whether Trump is a sleeper agent ala Manchurian Candidate, but only as a joke (or is it?!?). 

• Upvote 4

Avenatti is torturing Donnie again this morning:

The story is just tweets from his Twitter feed saying he has new evidence, but he doesn't go into any detail. 

• Upvote 3

Who can I sue for constantly making me think about Donald Trump having sex?

• Haha 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Who can I sue for constantly making me think about Donald Trump having sex?

Yes, surprisingly you need even more:brain-bleach: Than when Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar were :output_eeMbjt: on the putt putt golf course, and that required :brain-bleach: and :eyewash:!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Does Maury Povich still do those paternity testing shows? We may need him to prove paternity of any children involved in this hot mess.

• Upvote 2

They're saying that there could be campaign finance violations at least for AMI and Cohen

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I never got the part where he had talks with Cohen anyhow

He offered to represent Cohen if he does the right thing. Why would he represent someone his other client has sued?

• Upvote 1

Say what you will about Avenatti, (as I've said before) he's mastered Twitter and seems to have intimidated Trump to the point that Trump does not Tweet about him.  Let that sink in for a minute or two.  Mr.  Rage Tweet doesn't have a way to effectively counter Avenatti and I think Avenatti is doing serious damage to Trump in his own inimitable way. 

I'm not endorsing him and who knows if he's serious about a presidential run,  but it's a damn brilliant strategy.  Suddenly people are taking him seriously, he's given a platform on Sunday cable talk shows, and he's being amplified by talking heads talking about him.  Why, it's like a page out of the Trump playbook! 

AND Avenatti has been able to articulate a basic message ("Basta!" and "When they go low....we hit harder!") in a way that Democrats simply have NOT been able to do, because Trump has been sucking the air out of the room since Day 1.   

Avenatti is also a wily adversary; he's thinks and acts strategically. I haven't seem him hit any false notes or make any missteps so far. 

It's just pointing out that finally someone is stepping up to counter Trump and has been quite successful at using Trump's own weapons against him.  I hope Avenatti will continue to do this. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

On 8/12/2018 at 10:07 PM, Howl said:

Why, it's like a page out of the Trump playbook! 

As much as I agree with the sentiments of your post -- and I really do, no matter what I personally think of Avenatti -- it's this part that makes it unsavoury for me. He's stooping a little too close to the Repug level for my tastes. It's my hope someone with enough political experience and wherewithal, coupled with a good dose of charisma finally finds a voice and a message that isn't on a streetfighter level, but based on reason and intellect, and focussed not on winning over an opponent, but on what's best for the people. A message of hope and healing. Not a message of anger, but a message that is credible, conceivable and convincing, and above all aimed at reuniting a divided nation. 

That said, I do believe Avenatti is paving the way for such a leader. He's managed to garner sympathy and has the ear of the people. He is, as you say, a brilliant strategist in that regard. So now a real Democratic leader needs to step up to the plate. 

• Upvote 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...