IGNORED

Michael Avenatti

Cartmann99

I know we've been putting stuff about him in the various other threads, but I think it's time for him to have his own separate space.

• Upvote 6

I've been thinking a Michael Avenatti thread would be good... Who knows what he's sitting on.  He should be making every miscreant nervous and I don't think the ragetweeter in chief has tweeted about him even once. 

• I Agree 4

I have to say, I wanted to not like Avenatti, because I figured he seemed to be a high-paid lawyer that only represented wealthy people.

I have kind of changed my mind about him. I hope he is successful at several of the things he appears to be working on.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

Sweet Rufus. 

Michael Avenatti Announces He Will Run For President in 2020

Michael Avenatti, the attorney who has become a national sensation by not only defending adult film star Stormy Daniels, but also through his tireless efforts to defend families which have been separated by Trump’s policies at the southern border, made quite a declaration this morning.

Supporters of Avenatti have been questioning if he could potentially run against President Trump in the 2020 election. Avenatti has not given any indication either way, up until this morning, when HillReporter’s Brian Krassenstein (also my brother), asked the direct question, “When are you announcing your 2020 run?”.

Avenatti’s response was quite surprising::

Avenatti then followed up with an addition tweet a couple hours later:

Apparently he has given a potential 2020 Presidential bid major consideration, and while he believes that there is a good chance that Trump will no longer be President by the time the election rolls around (either through resignation or impeachment), he will challenge Trump if he doesn’t feel there is a candidate capable of defeating our current President when 2020 rolls around.

Avenatti told Newsweek, that he “yes, absolutely” believes he could defeat Donald Trump if he did run against him. “I think I would be his worst nightmare. I think it would be an extremely contentious campaign, no holds barred, and very close,” Avenatti explained.

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but... I think this is a terrible idea. America does not need another inexperienced populist, even though he's a Democrat, has some eloquence, and people find him good looking. 

You need a young, capable, experienced politician. Not an arrogant attorney with a street-fighter attitude. It's not about popularity, it's not even about winning. It's not about beating the opposition. It's about what is right and good for the country. It's about healing the wounds inflicted upon America during this presiduncy. It's about restoring the relationships with foreign allies, and about getting rid of Russian interference once and for all.  Remember, the Oval Office is not the set of the Apprentice reality show, but neither is it a courtroom. 

There are much better choices you could make. Kamala Harris, Joe Kennedy, Corey Booker, to name a few. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 13

Told ya he's running...

I think it's good someone's opening the discussion, no one's seemed too eager so far, or maybe I missed it. Hopefully other candidates will come up too and then there would be more debate about various policy positions and alternatives. At this point Avenatti is just Mr. Not-Trump and none of the voters can be sure what he stands for on healthcare and foreign policy and taxes and  so on. 

It might complicate things a bit when he goes on TV and says stuff, does he say it as Stormy et al's lawyer of a candidate.

• Upvote 2

Not sure which entity to sacrifice to, but may Avenatti become Michael Cohen's lawyer, just to jerk Orangy McOrangeface around by the balls. 

• Upvote 4

Julián Castro is seriously thinking about running:

In an interview this week, former San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro gave the strongest indication yet that he's interested in running for president in 2020.

Castro, a Democrat who led the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development under President Barack Obama, told NBC News that he has "every interest in running." His speech next week at an awards dinner in New Hampshire will help him take the temperature of voters in the early primary state.

"Part of the process of figuring out whether I'm going to run is going to listen to folks and feel the temperature" of voters, he said.

Castro told the San Antonio Express-News last week that he'd make a decision on whether to run by "the end of 2018." 

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/02/06/julian-castro-has-every-interest-running-president-2020/

His twin brother is also a politician. Joaquin has represented TX-20 in the US House since 2013, and was a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 2003-2013. The Castro brothers will turn 44 in September.

• Upvote 7

Avenatti might get smeared to death before the midterms are over. 

• Upvote 6

Avenatti is the only person to have twitter taunted Trump with zero repercussions.  I don't think Trump has tweeted even one peep about Avenatti, which is pretty stunning when you think about it.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

48 minutes ago, Howl said:

Avenatti is the only person to have twitter taunted Trump with zero repercussions.  I don't think Trump has tweeted even one peep about Avenatti, which is pretty stunning when you think about it.  

Why? (rhetorical question)

The answer would probably be very revealing.

• I Agree 6

Trump's lawyers probably threatened to quit if he replied and incriminated himself further. 

Speaking of lawyers, 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

I would rather have an experienced person, as well, to succeed Trump, rather than an inexperienced populist. Someone with experience in governing either on the state or federal level.  However, after 2016, I've learned that American voters aren't too bright  and will elect an aging, nasty, senile, adulterous, not-too-bright, con artist, former reality tv "star," over an educated, brilliant, well-qualified woman who had devoted her life to public service, because of a diabolical media campaign.  I would hope that whoever is elected, (and I fervently hope it's a Democrat), he or she will pick a top notch Cabinet and advisors, like Obama did, unlike the idiots, relatives, racists, and rogues gallery we now have.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Trump's lawyers probably threatened to quit if he replied and incriminated himself further. 

Speaking of lawyers, 

I've been wondering the same thing for over a week now, maybe even a full Scaramucci.  I think they had to take Rudy off line, feed him a blood meal  and let him sleep in his coffin for a bit.  Then may be let him visit Dr. Randy so he'll be all perky again. 

OMG, @AmazonGrace, I just clicked on Jonathan Capehart's tweet and started reading responses.  Hilarious.  I noticed Molly Jong-Fast was the first responder.  She shows up a lot of Rick Wilson's twitter feed. She's a very funny woman. 

Edited by Howl
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, AuntK said:

I would rather have an experienced person, as well, to succeed Trump, rather than an inexperienced populist. Someone with experience in governing either on the state or federal level.  However, after 2016, I've learned that American voters aren't too bright  and will elect an aging, nasty, senile, adulterous, not-too-bright, con artist, former reality tv "star," over an educated, brilliant, well-qualified woman who had devoted her life to public service, because of a diabolical media campaign.  I would hope that whoever is elected, (and I fervently hope it's a Democrat), he or she will pick a top notch Cabinet and advisors, like Obama did, unlike the idiots, relatives, racists, and rogues gallery we now have.

But what is needed in America right now above all else, is a fully functioning Congress that employs the checks and balances put in place to keep the administration in line. Without that, America is at the mercy of the whims and impulses of whoever occupies the Oval Office.

• I Agree 8

8 hours ago, fraurosena said:

But what is needed in America right now above all else, is a fully functioning Congress that employs the checks and balances put in place to keep the administration in line. Without that, America is at the mercy of the whims and impulses of whoever occupies the Oval Office.

I agree with you, but I've just about lost all hope for that! With the current Congress just sitting on its collective hands, and ignoring the daily crap coming from the WH, I'm wondering what in the hell will it take before they will act!  The Republicans in Congress have sold out, despite the fact that our country is in the worst position it has been in since the Civil War and the "president" is really a Russian oligarch and a traitor!  It will take a huge turnover to change this!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, AuntK said:

I agree with you, but I've just about lost all hope for that! With the current Congress just sitting on its collective hands, and ignoring the daily crap coming from the WH, I'm wondering what in the hell will it take before they will act!  The Republicans in Congress have sold out, despite the fact that our country is in the worst position it has been in since the Civil War and the "president" is really a Russian oligarch and a traitor!  It will take a huge turnover to change this!

Yep. The checks and balances put in place to keep Congress in line need to be employed by every single American eligible to vote.

• Upvote 4

On 7/6/2018 at 1:16 AM, fraurosena said:

Yep. The checks and balances put in place to keep Congress in line need to be employed by every single American eligible to vote.

The checks and balances that we're supposed to have concern me most. We know Trump would suspend the Constitution and impose martial law in a heartbeat, if he thought he could get away with it.  He wants to be a dictator. Congress is too close to call and the SC is going to be controlled by Trump. This could get very, very bad! Every single American eligible to vote needs to understand this and vote accordingly- which means vote BLUE FOR EVERYTHING!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

I think it might be a little counterproductive if his strategy is to attack Dem leaders. I mean, whatever their chances of being elected president may be, y'all need quite a few tired experienced establishment Democrats to win elections in November.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2