IGNORED

Goals and Progress Thread

Georgiana

13 minutes ago, Firebird said:

I got the official PCOS diagnosis this past week. It's kinda bumming me out. They said I had shown signs on my ultrasound of periods of anovulation. I just got started on metformin, which makes my stomach hurt and makes me exhausted. I know plenty of people get pregnant with PCOS, but I felt like it took the wind out of my sails to hear that I dont ovulate much. They are going to start clomid after I can comvince my husband that having the sperm count test isn't the worst thing to ever happen to him. Is it stupid that I almost feel like a failure because I don't ovulate? 

Enormous hugs to you. I have a PCOS diagnosis as well as some other fertility issues and know that feeling of failure well.  It's not stupid.  It's absolutely not true, of course you aren't a failure! - but it is an understandable reaction.  We're "supposed" to be able to do this and so many women seem to do it so easily, and so many times, and it just doesn't feel fair.  PCOS is a bitch and it is terrible to be betrayed by your body. 

In our case we decided not to seek infertility treatments after discovering that my husband has teratozoospermia (his count and speed are fine, but they are 98% deformed); that combined with my other health issues made it a journey we could not take on.  In retrospect, I wish we had taken more aggressive action when we were younger (we are 40 now and it still hurts almost every day but the feeling of hopefulness is pretty much gone). But I tell myself it was for the best, with my other issues and limitations.  My husband and I always dreamed of being parents and both being "broken" makes it easier in some ways.  We are always apologizing to each other, and reassuring each other.  But it is still very hard.  

Your husband taking a sperm test is literally the least he can do in a situation like this!  Really, I hope he is a supportive and loving partner, you deserve it.  

I was on Metformin years ago and reacted so badly to even a small dose I was taken off after about 6 weeks and a note put in my file to never take it again.  Right now I am trying Berberine which has a similar effect on stabilizing my blood sugar without the horrible side effects.  I'm skeptical of a lot of "natural" alternatives, but I definitely notice less blood sugar crashes while on it.  

HAHA! I joined one month ago and I'm finally ready to set a goal. Well, one I can work towards. 

This week: walk for 5 minutes every day. I am going to walk 10 the next week and then go to my former schedule that got me up to walking a 5k in an hour. I was doing a lot of hiking around that time. 

I know I can do this because I am able to shop for groceries. I do use a cane but I'm gaining muscle, so I'm using it less. 

Short term goal: to be able to walk/hike a mile without feeling like I'm going to die. LOL!!!!! This way when I'm in SoCal this winter I can get around to visit my friend and not be housebound (or in my case van bound lol!) 

I hurt myself last winter by wearing cheap bad shoes and it's taken me so long to get back to where I am atm. I'm so happy to be able to move forward. 

I have a myriad of things that hold me back and cause me to procrastinate but I'm going to have to walk early in the morning, after breakfast, because I'm having trouble dealing with the heat. 

I'm excited! 

13 hours ago, wild little fox said:

HAHA! I joined one month ago and I'm finally ready to set a goal. Well, one I can work towards. 

This week: walk for 5 minutes every day. I am going to walk 10 the next week and then go to my former schedule that got me up to walking a 5k in an hour. I was doing a lot of hiking around that time. 

I know I can do this because I am able to shop for groceries. I do use a cane but I'm gaining muscle, so I'm using it less. 

Short term goal: to be able to walk/hike a mile without feeling like I'm going to die. LOL!!!!! This way when I'm in SoCal this winter I can get around to visit my friend and not be housebound (or in my case van bound lol!) 

I hurt myself last winter by wearing cheap bad shoes and it's taken me so long to get back to where I am atm. I'm so happy to be able to move forward. 

I have a myriad of things that hold me back and cause me to procrastinate but I'm going to have to walk early in the morning, after breakfast, because I'm having trouble dealing with the heat. 

I'm excited! 

Those sound like great goals!  

I am plateauing this week, I think because of the heat.  It really takes it out of me.  The poor sleep doesn't help either.  But I am doing fairly well sticking to my diet plan, even if I am moving less.

This morning I reached my first/top weight loss goal.  I can't brag because it's due to the surgery I had in May, but it's still nice to have hit the goal number.  

Good luck to all especially those trying to increase exercise.  That's the camp I'm in!

My plateau continues...I went down to 198, but am back up to just shy of 200 again.  I know it's likely the pcos and water weight - I'm retaining water like crazy in this heat no matter how much I drink, and I'm averaging 4-5 hours a sleep a night which is destroying me - but am having more depressed moments.  I cried in the middle of the grocery store this week and today was the first time in this current endeavor where I wanted to completely give up, on everything (not suicidal, just wishing not to exist).

• 2 weeks later...

Updating to keep myself accountable (I keep getting tempted to give up completely, or to go low carb/paleo/keto which I know doesn't work for me long term).  I'm around 197lbs now, so I've lost about 12.5lbs so far (95.3kg to 89.6kg to be precise).  I feel like I will be able to do more activity once the heat is gone, and am feeling positive about those effects but I still feel depressed in general.  How is everyone else doing?

Hang in there.  Have you tried a tracking app?  I started one and it's really helping.  Three doctors in a row told me to eat more protein so I needed to know how much I was getting to make sure to get more.  I think it's the increased protein that is helping me lose plus seeing the calorie count since I had begun gaining after I recovered from the surgery.  I have gotten below the revised BMI for my height so that made me happy.  

A little update on me. Finally my weight seems to going down again. After I quiet smoking last fall, I gained nearly 10 kg, without changing anything in eating or exercising. Now I lost half of that and are hopefully on the way of losing all of that and some more. But I also got the diagnosis of lipodema, which is the explanation why allmost all of my excess weight is on the lower part of my body. Now I have to wear special stockings all the time, wich is very nasty with the heat we had in the last weeks. And I'm on my way for a breast reduction surgery, since my J-cup boops are mostly breast tissue and would even stay the same if I became the size of a fashion model. The surgeon said that I had 1 kg per breast of excess tissue, that will be gone with surgery. Hopefully my insurance will approve of it.

On 7/23/2018 at 4:46 PM, Coconut Flan said:

This morning I reached my first/top weight loss goal.  I can't brag because it's due to the surgery I had in May, but it's still nice to have hit the goal number.  

Good luck to all especially those trying to increase exercise.  That's the camp I'm in!

Whas it a bariatric surgery? When yes, you have every right to brag about it! Bariatric surgery is no cake walk, even if other people see it that way. It isn't the easy way to loose weight, but the last lifeline and a lot of work after it, because it changes the way we used to eat. I needed the help of surgery to loose weight, but I'm proud of the weight loss and I make no secret out of it.

Checking in since I really need to get back. I’m still stuck at 207, but I also admittedly haven’t been putting in much effort.  As soon as we got back  from our honeymoon, life hit us full force and I’m just now starting to settle in again. Hopefully I won’t gain this week! 

15 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

Whas it a bariatric surgery?

No, not bariatric surgery.  I had surgery for an intestine medical issue.  

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

No, not bariatric surgery.  I had surgery for an intestine medical issue.  

Ah, than sorry, I assumed wrong. But the rest stands, be proud of it, even if it is a side effect of a needed surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

The walking plan didn't happen. Walking is just too painful at this point. The city pools near me are too far away.

I found a video at YouTube that I really like. It's sitting areobics so I can get workout with no impact on my knees while building muscle. Today is day 2. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the bandwagon! Read at 201 even this morning.

Thank you, stomach flu, for speeding up the process! You were awful, but you moved me along! 

• 2 months later...

I'm proud of myself.  I was mindful of portions this Thanksgiving.  I would like to drop 35 lbs, or at least trade some fat pounds for muscle pounds.  I've been off the wagon for a month or so and I was doing so well over the summer.  2 thinks I'd like to get back into: Leslie Sansone  videos and a few handweight moves a night.  If I can get going on this again, I think I stand a chance to make it through the holidays with minimal damage.

I have reached my doctor's goal weight for me.  I still have more tummy than I want so perhaps a few more pounds?

I did two 15 min. cardio sessions.  One last night and one this morning.  I've been stressing a bit and I'm hoping a little bit of exercise will help.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm here to whine.  I reached the doctor's goal weight and I'm staying beneath it so that is good.  I'd set my sights on four pounds lower.  It's just four pounds so should be achievable, right?  I got within half a pound of that goal for one day.  I keep bobbling a pound or two above what I want to weigh and I'm about to decide to give up trying to get there at least until after Christmas.  I may have to give up on it as a goal or perhaps my body just needs to stay here for awhile and then I can finish that last tiny bit.  I'm probably getting obsessive about this and need to let it go.  

• 3 weeks later...

I made it through the holidays with minimal overeating!!  I'm so proud of myself.   I ate very moderately throughout November/December and ate anything I wanted on actual Christmas day, including a few mouthfuls of canned whipped cream ?  New Years will be easy because I'm celebrating with only my son and not attending any events.

My goal for 2019? Lose the last 40 lbs and get into a more healthy range. Ideally I should lose another 50 to 60 to have an in range BMI, but I don't want to set the bar too high, fail, and then get upset with myself. So. We're keeping it at a realistic 40 lbs for the moment and adjusting as needed.

My goal is not to lose so much as to maintain the range I've been in for most of the year.  While loss would be wonderful - I need to remind myself that given my history, maintaining without going off the deep end and binging is probably better for my overall health.  

Ugh, okay here it goes.  About 6 years ago I weighed 200lbs.  I am 5'4 and very small framed so that was really big for me.  I started WW and dropped 55lbs in one year.  I felt great!  I did put about 10lbs back on but was kinda okay with it, but then my husband died and I started stress eating again.  I put on another 15lbs in no time.  Fast forward a year and I started talking to an old high school friend that I hadn't seen in 30 years.  Well we talked for about 2 months before we decided to meet again.  Well, panic set in and I decided to lose weight fast.  I did drop about 20lbs but not in the healthiest way.  I basically starved myself, but hey, I looked good for our first meeting.  We have now been together for about a year and a half and I am back at 195lbs.  Not from stress eating, but happy and content eating since he really doesn't care how much I weigh. (nice, but DOES NOT HELP ME)

I am ready to start losing again but do not want to join WW again.  I just downloaded the Lose It! app to log my meals.  I need to get a grip on my eating again.

My goals are going to be start meal prepping one meal (lunch) next week and getting my butt on the treadmill once again.  I would like to start going back to the gym, but I am taking baby steps.

Last year I set a goal to walk/run 60 miles per month and keep my weight from creeping up, and I am here to report that I managed to accomplish that, plus more, in every month except December.  Since it was a manageable level of activity for me, I'm going to set that goal once again.  Additionally, I am going to continue doing 25 sit ups per day (same as 2018 goal).  My arms have become so flabby that I'm going to start some light weight training (I'm lifting 50-ounce laundry bottles to start).

I've decided slow and steady is the way to go.  When I set my goals too high, I just get discouraged, so daily walks, sit ups, and laundry bottle lifting it is for 2019!  Best wishes for 2019, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, LSUlover said:

Ugh, okay here it goes.  About 6 years ago I weighed 200lbs.  I am 5'4 and very small framed so that was really big for me.  I started WW and dropped 55lbs in one year.  I felt great!  I did put about 10lbs back on but was kinda okay with it, but then my husband died and I started stress eating again.  I put on another 15lbs in no time.  Fast forward a year and I started talking to an old high school friend that I hadn't seen in 30 years.  Well we talked for about 2 months before we decided to meet again.  Well, panic set in and I decided to lose weight fast.  I did drop about 20lbs but not in the healthiest way.  I basically starved myself, but hey, I looked good for our first meeting.  We have now been together for about a year and a half and I am back at 195lbs.  Not from stress eating, but happy and content eating since he really doesn't care how much I weigh. (nice, but DOES NOT HELP ME)

I am ready to start losing again but do not want to join WW again.  I just downloaded the Lose It! app to log my meals.  I need to get a grip on my eating again.

My goals are going to be start meal prepping one meal (lunch) next week and getting my butt on the treadmill once again.  I would like to start going back to the gym, but I am taking baby steps.

Sorry for your loss. Good luck on the meal prep! I'm starting that this week. I'm using a follow-along plan online. 

Archived