Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

“ Thanks! I scored it at Good Will for only $5! “

This is me. lol

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Translation : As a child Jessa’s family could not afford much beyond the basics -  so budgeting, playing with whatever was available, hand-me-downs and cheap, filling food were necessities. As a teen the family was more comfortable financially and she was able to indulge her taste for fashion and make-up, although it was within her family’s strict guidelines. She married a man who seems to suit her and like  most young families they prioritize where to spend their resources. As healthy food is important to both Of them, they look towards organics and fresh foods when feasible. 

Yes, good for Jessa for improving her knowledge of nutrition and feeding her kids well. If she is going to have an indulgence in her budget, healthy food is a responsible one to have. If she and Ben were driving a Lexus while feeding her kids rice three times a day, I would be snarking about that. 

And as others have said, we don't know that she shops exclusively there. I eat healthy but try to be thrifty about it and buy beans, flour, rice, and oils at the cheap Pick and Save, but buy some select ingredients like carob chips, protein bars, and flaxseed at the pricier health food store. 

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

You’re right that they’re not begging like Derick and that’s a very good thing. That said Derick and Jill are no longer selling their kids’ childhoods via TLC, while Jessa and Ben and all the other married couples with kids (besides the Smuggars) continue to do so. That’s likely where some of Benessa’s income comes from - the sale of their childrens’ childhoods and right to privacy. I don’t care whether it was Dill’s choice to leave the show or not. Sure I’m curious about what happened, but I mostly just think it’s a very good thing that Izzy and Sam won’t grow up on national television the way so many of their cousins will.

(The Dills are still using social media and their blog, but I don’t think they get as many viewers or nearly as much money that way. I still think it’s problematic given how many followers they have, but I don’t think it’s necessarily on the same level as having the kids on reality tv.)

Right, but I think the reaction to selling kids childhoods on reality tv varies a ton depends on who is doing it. For example, Jazz Jennings, while she is almost an adult now - was 11 when she started doing reality specials. She is questioned, with her mother present ( seriously that woman gives her no space ) , about her ability to achieve orgasm - to be aired on tv. And other incredibly personal, intimate details of her life. Far, far, far more than we ever would learn about any of the Duggars. I think that show is excused because it’s seen as educational about someone out of the mainstream - but she’s still a child on a reality show. What is the difference? Or the kids on Little People Big World ( or the 4,000 similar TLC shows ) ? 

I’m not talking about you specifically- I’m wondering about everyone’s views. 

I have a huge problem with Jazz's show. I like her but I stopped watching it because I should just not know that much about a child's genitals, sexual response, weight, mental health concerns, etc. She was tiny when her parents put her into the spotlight; she never had a real choice about if she wanted her life to be public or not. If she were an adult who wanted to share her story then great, but she wasn't all those years ago when her parents first put her on tv and she's still not now. If she ever decides that she would prefer to have a more private life where strangers don't know intimate details of her life then it's really too late. I get that her family sees the show as important (which honestly also just adds another source of pressure if Jazz ever did or does decide she would like more privacy), but I don't think it's healthy for her or any other teen. I have an issue with any parent who puts their kid on reality tv and Jazz's parents really are some of the worst for oversharing.

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

You’re right that they’re not begging like Derick and that’s a very good thing. That said Derick and Jill are no longer selling their kids’ childhoods via TLC, while Jessa and Ben and all the other married couples with kids (besides the Smuggars) continue to do so. That’s likely where some of Benessa’s income comes from - the sale of their childrens’ childhoods and right to privacy. I don’t care whether it was Dill’s choice to leave the show or not. Sure I’m curious about what happened, but I mostly just think it’s a very good thing that Izzy and Sam won’t grow up on national television the way so many of their cousins will.

(The Dills are still using social media and their blog, but I don’t think they get as many viewers or nearly as much money that way. I still think it’s problematic given how many followers they have, but I don’t think it’s necessarily on the same level as having the kids on reality tv.)

Thank you, thank you, thhhhaaannnkk you! Ben and Jessa do not appear on Counting On for free. (If they do, they aren't very bright.) They have done photo spreads with their newborns that they were very likely compensated for. Not one of these episodes showed much of anything in regards to Ben and Jessa getting an education or life skills or attempting to get a job. Sure, that may be happening off camera, but golly, sure would be nice to see Ben and Jessa show this to fans, since that would what hard working productive people they are.  I mean, its a ministry, amirite?! They aren't grifting, but they don't exactly have to. If Counting On were canceled, I wouldn't be surprised if Jessa did "hustling" just shy of outright of grifting. Jessa is not more hard working than Jill. Not even close. Just more polished and media savy. Sorry for the diatribe. I just feel, Ben and Jessa, no matter how charming are very out of touch with the real world. They desperately need a fire lit under their very charming asses. 

6 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Right, but I think the reaction to selling kids childhoods on reality tv varies a ton depends on who is doing it. For example, Jazz Jennings, while she is almost an adult now - was 11 when she started doing reality specials. She is questioned, with her mother present ( seriously that woman gives her no space ) , about her ability to achieve orgasm - to be aired on tv. And other incredibly personal, intimate details of her life. Far, far, far more than we ever would learn about any of the Duggars. I think that show is excused because it’s seen as educational about someone out of the mainstream - but she’s still a child on a reality show. What is the difference? Or the kids on Little People Big World ( or the 4,000 similar TLC shows ) ? 

I’m not talking about you specifically- I’m wondering about everyone’s views. 

I don’t mind answering. :)

Personally, I think it’s wrong to have minors appear regularly on reality shows or for them to be the stars of a show. Doesn’t matter who the family is or what the show is about or what channel it’s on. I think it’s explotative in the worst way.

I like Jazz. I think she’s genuinely trying to educate people as best she can and I appreciate that her parents have been so supportive of her. But I think it’s just as wrong to show her discussing intimate details about her future sex life as it is to show Josie Duggar having a seizure or to show the average day to day lives of Jackson and Ember Roloff or to show the aftermath of Jeb and Jud Bates almost burning down their family’s home. These kids will have no expectation of privacy as they grow up on camera and I find that really wrong. 

ETA: I should also add that it disgusts me that there aren’t more protections for minors on reality shows in place. @Palimpsesthas made several pretty fantastic posts on the subject in the past about how minors on reality shows aren’t protected by the same laws that child actors are. 

The fact that I don’t have to save on food and can just chose the prizier organic vegtables, the softer toilet paper or my favourite brand if I want to, and go to the grocery store I like better even though it costs a little bit more then the other one, is one of the things I try to be greatful for every day and not take for granted. 

6 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

For example, Jazz Jennings, while she is almost an adult now - was 11 when she started doing reality specials. She is questioned, with her mother present ( seriously that woman gives her no space ) , about her ability to achieve orgasm - to be aired on tv. And other incredibly personal, intimate details of her life. Far, far, far more than we ever would learn about any of the Duggars. I think that show is excused because it’s seen as educational about someone out of the mainstream - but she’s still a child on a reality show. What is the difference? Or the kids on Little People Big World ( or the 4,000 similar TLC shows ) ? 

I don't excuse it.  I question the judgement of the parents greatly in all these reality shows.  I don't watch Jazz (or any of the others).  I have seen Jazz in interviews and she seemed very mature for her age.  However, I don't see how that show can possibly be good for her.  I also question the ethics of everyone involved.  Including the doctors, although I hope those scenes are re-enactments not reality.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the parents may have agreed to do the reality TV show with the best of intentions.  I'm going to posit that Jazz is (or perhaps was when it started) perfectly OK with it, if not a driving force behind it, but parenting is about what is best for your children not following all their wishes or the dollar trail. I think it was a huge mistake to do that ongoing show - for the whole family.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@Palimpsesthas made several pretty fantastic posts on the subject in the past about how minors on reality shows aren’t perfected by the same laws that child actors are. 

Why thanks.  I may have waxed eloquent on the subject a few (dozen) times.  But that would be protected not perfected.  Although both are true.  (Damn autocorrect.  It will get you every time! :D)

No, children working in entertainment are not protected by Federal Child Labor Laws, and only a few states have enacted Coogan-type laws to protect them.  Even fewer states have revised even Coogan-type legislation to protect children working in Reality TV.

My own feeling is that a one-off legitimate documentary probably doesn't do much harm to children.  It is when "Reality TV," which is an ongoing semi-scripted series and doesn't even pretend to be an honest documentary takes over that the real damage is done.

These children are not actors playing a part on TV.  They are playing a distorted, for the purpose of the show, version of a character with their name and public identity.  I think it will haunt them for the rest of their lives.  I hate that.

I, too, am to the point in my life where I can buy organic items, pay more for higher-quality ingredients, etc. And I'll never EVER judge anyone for how much they pay for food. Yes, back in the day I got WIC, and it was truly a lifesaver. I never got food stamps, even though we qualified, because I've always been a menu-planner/sale-shopper. Still am, for the most part. Although I do buy organic produce, I buy what's in season - as a rule. And I shop farmers' markets when I can.

If Jessa wants to live in a small house, buy used clothing, and buy expensive groceries, who am I to judge? Because when I was a young mom, I did the same. I still do buy used clothing 90% of the time. Our house is large, but we're getting ready to sell it to downsize (to a place less than 1/2 the size we're in now). I'll still buy used clothing and household items (whatever I may need, which isn't much). I also still make my own laundry detergent. I hate spending $$$ unnecessarily.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:31 AM, Shadoewolf said:

I'm going to disagree on the consignment store thing. I used to shop at the same Once Upon a Child store the Duggars were filmed at and it's NICE. They were very careful to inspect things before allowing them out on the sales floor and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a stroller or a Pack n Play there. Never a used car seat though. And I'm very picky about what I'll buy from Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace but I still do it. 

Whole Foods prices are comparable to what their local Harps would charge, maybe Whole Foods is just closer/bigger/better selection? 

Once Upon A Child is fantastic, once my baby grows out of the piles of hand me downs we’ve received I plan to do the majority of my kid clothes shopping there. 

Car seats are the one thing I would never buy secondhand from a stranger, but a close friend gave us their bucket seat when their baby outgrew it and I know for a fact it’s never been in an accident and it was well cared for. 

I felt  slightly hypocritical when I sold my son's bucket seat. I would never buy a used car seat, and there are actually only a couple of people I would take one from, because I know they would have taken care of it. 

But I knew mine was in no accidents, it was not expired, and it had been taken care of. When the family that bought it was telling me about when they bought their seat from a thrift store, they didn't know car seats expired, and unknowingly bought an expired one. I felt better knowing that their little one was getting a safe seat.

Aside from that, I'm all about good bargains, clearance, and thrift stores, I got compliments on a new shirt I was wearing the other day, and I was like "Thanks! My mom got it on clearance, and it only cost a dollar!"

I'm certainly not going to knock thrift store clothes and being thoughtful about groceries. I believe Jessa had (has?) some dietary restrictions for nursing Henry, so I imagine his allergies also play a part into the food they choose.

I'm a thrifty clothes shopper myself and have been able to turn reselling them into an online side business, it's not the steadiest thing in the world, but it covers all of our fashion budget. Including my SO's work clothes, suits and just today a pretty brills shark button down for shark week. I'm just starting to resell my niece's clothes for my brother, he thinks it'll be a nice to have for her budding fashionista ways or to set aside for college. 

I imagine Jessa would do really well at it and think it would be an acceptable venture into being a career woman and wife, judging on their acceptance and support of Sierra's businesses. It'd be a non-grifting way to make money and she could make a big deal about tithing and it being a calling when Counting On money dries up. I think "The Mustard Cardigan" would be a fitting, hipster name that would capitalize on the Duggar brand.

@rainbowbabycakes I get where you're coming from on car seats. Not everyone can afford a new one or has access to a donated one (if they even know that's a thing), but every baby absolutely needs a safe one! You made that possible for the family!

Jessa is hilarious. 

And the Dillard’s would still sell their children on TLC if they could. They pimp them out on their ~family website~ constantly. 

Jessa handled it well, it was obvious he was drinking water.

2 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Jessa handled it well, it was obvious he was drinking water.

I found her caption weird for that.  It seemed from what she said he was drinking La Croix, although I assumed she hadn't given him Fanta.  I didn't think the reaction was unreasonable.  (I do have a cousin who LOVES the Duggars who asked on Facebook about the best chocolate milk for her 6 month old. . . people do things I find very odd and uniformed). 

1 hour ago, justoneoftwo said:

I found her caption weird for that.  It seemed from what she said he was drinking La Croix, although I assumed she hadn't given him Fanta.  I didn't think the reaction was unreasonable.  (I do have a cousin who LOVES the Duggars who asked on Facebook about the best chocolate milk for her 6 month old. . . people do things I find very odd and uniformed). 

when I worked in KFC I used to see people putting soda in babies bottles, I was always tempted to say something. I don't have kids yet and know how horrible that is for a baby. I do live in the West of Scotland where we have the worst teeth decay in Western Europe.

I can't believe I'm going to say this because she was one of my least favorite Duggars for a long time, but I currently find her the least repugnant of the bunch. 

She is slick at producing an certain image like her daddy.  A regular Fundy operator. Jill is too earnest, Joy is too honest  and Jinger is a follower but the Princess has it down.

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

when I worked in KFC I used to see people putting soda in babies bottles, I was always tempted to say something. I don't have kids yet and know how horrible that is for a baby. I do live in the West of Scotland where we have the worst teeth decay in Western Europe.

Omg.  Yes.  I worked at McDonalds when I was in HS and even then I knew how bad that was and had to refrain from saying anything.

I eventually became a social worker at a housing program for homeless women with children and then it was okay to say something to the women I worked with, but I’m not sure that actually stopped doing it.

Actually, nobody EVER should say anything to a parent about what they choose to feed their kids. Unless, of course, it's rat poison or bleach.

I know we all know soda is not the best for the kid, but for fuck's sake - it's not YOUR kid, and your butting in could cause more problems, especially for you. If anyone had said one fucking word about my feeding GryffindorDisappointment something they didn't agree with, there'd have been hell to pay.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived