IGNORED

Seewalds 34: No News Yet

Coconut Flan

I don't really get why it's surprising that Jessa shops at Whole Foods or buys expensive ice cream brands, etc. She's the  star of Counting On and has been on TV since she was a young teen--of course she has some money. Is she supposed to pretend that she's poor? 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you!  She has had a plush life for well over a  now and always seemed a high maintenance  high school popular girl Born into a fundie family anyway. She married a low key besotted manboy headship who either can’t or won’t tell her what to do like Jim Bob could so she is living it up now. 

5 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Thank you!  She has had a plush life for well over a  now and always seemed a high maintenance  high school popular girl Born into a fundie family anyway. She married a low key besotted manboy headship who either can’t or won’t tell her what to do like Jim Bob could so she is living it up now. 

However, part of their narrative is how frugal they are, and how they've been able to support such a large family by being frugal.  Buy used and save the difference!  We buy cars at auction and fix them!  We buy cheap properties and flip/rent them!  We shop at thrift stores!  Shopping at Whole Foods is quite a departure from that, so that's why people talk about it.  

I don't blame them for being less frugal now that they have money, but it's obviously something they don't completely adhere to anymore yet still include as part of their narrative.  

3 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

However, part of their narrative is how frugal they are, and how they've been able to support such a large family by being frugal.  Buy used and save the difference!  We buy cars at auction and fix them!  We buy cheap properties and flip/rent them!  We shop at thrift stores!  Shopping at Whole Foods is quite a departure from that, so that's why people talk about it.  

I feel kind of iffy about this. The "buy used save the difference" thing was big during 17/18/19 Kids and Counting. It was Jim Bob and Michelle's thing. Yeah, in a way Jessa's still benefiting from that brand, but she's already proven that she's willing to do some things different from her family (extended breastfeeding, more permissive and hands on parenting). Also. isn't it natural for most kids to grow up and do things differently than their parents? I don't think it's fair to expect the married kids to do everything exactly the same as their parents. 

Jessa’s parents did and preached all that Jazz. That was their narrative. As a girl She had no choice but to parrot them. She is making her own choices about her lifestyle as regards purchasing  now so we can see she clearly never took it too heart... it’s not her narrative. 

Just because Jessa has a bag from Whole Foods doesn’t mean that she gets 100% of her groceries there. Even if they have plenty of money, I’m sure the older Duggar girls especially are still in the habit of budgeting and keeping an eye out for sales. She might shop for certain items there and others elsewhere or she’s able to keep her grocery bill reasonable because she’s shopping for 4 (3 1/2?) rather than 21. 

Yeah. We’ll see what she does with 5 kids under seven to buy for and tote around ;)

The Princess is enjoying her fun now but unless she is using BC she won’t be for very long. 

We also know that one of Ben’s priorities is healthy eating which is contrary to Jessa’s upbringing. Food is not the thing they are choosing to be frugal about. But they still live in a tiny house and shop for second hand clothes and toys.

I buy lots of used stuff (not cars, though) - but I'd never buy used FOOD. 

lmao

/sarcasm

10 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My mum bought my oldest nephew a toy washing machine that is noisier than our actual washing machine, my youngest nephew found it the other day and was playing with it. It may or may not end up in the charity shop next time I take things.

One of my old colleagues had hidden a really noisy toy at work. His kids had gotten it from his brother and he was keeping it for when his brother had kids. :my_biggrin:

It was absurdly noisy as well. Probably gave kids tinnitus. 

6 hours ago, BernRul said:

I don't really get why it's surprising that Jessa shops at Whole Foods or buys expensive ice cream brands, etc. She's the  star of Counting On and has been on TV since she was a young teen--of course she has some money. Is she supposed to pretend that she's poor? 

Why not? Derick does.

If we were to believe Derick they might not really have much money from their years of reality TV.

Plus being cheap is part of their brand.

ETA: I’m being sarcastic. IDGAF what Jessa spends her money on.

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Jessa’s parents did and preached all that Jazz. That was their narrative. As a girl She had no choice but to parrot them. She is making her own choices about her lifestyle as regards purchasing  now so we can see she clearly never took it too heart... it’s not her narrative. 

I find this reasoning interesting because it isn’t applied equally to all the Duggar offspring. Jessa and Jinger are given the benefit of the doubt in a lot of cases where they deviate from their parents’ teachings (“not their narrative” “no choice but to parrot them”), while Jill isn’t. I’d guess it’s a combination of Jill having been one of the more vocal Duggars on the show and being so easy to dislike for her poor life choices and her shit husband... but none of those mean she hasn’t genuinely decided that she differs in opinion from her parents in some ways. 

ETA: To be clear, I’m talking about more minor disagreements with their parents’ beliefs - such as their decisions to wear pants or to possibly space pregnancies or Jill piercing her nose or where they buy groceries - rather than a major disagreement like leaving fundamentalism entirely. I don’t think any of their children have left Fundamentalism (whether IBLP or another brand) at this point. 

I do think scorn of Jill for things that are praised in her sisters can be over the top at times. Just because her and her husband are seen as easy to target dosen’t  necessarily mean  people should take such glee in nitpicking and giving sinister motives  her every choice, photo or post.  Some times it just what it looks like. For the record  I think the same applies to Jill  that applies to Jessa   and Jinger... none of them is following the creedo of their parents.  They all are dressing modestly normal and starting to  partake in safe, mild  mainstream entertainment by now of their own choice, with the caveat that we can assume their husbands are fine with it or they would not be. 

They all still believe the same things the Jim Bobs do.Pretty witty Jessa with her cool, hip modern Fundy shtick  And Jinger with her tennis and pseudo intellectual hubby with  their images they want to are just savvier about about it than Dorky Jill with her over the top expressions. For what it is worth I would rather have a transparent Jill than a person trying to sell themselves a certain way :)

7 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Translation : As a child Jessa’s family could not afford much beyond the basics -  so budgeting, playing with whatever was available, hand-me-downs and cheap, filling food were necessities. As a teen the family was more comfortable financially and she was able to indulge her taste for fashion and make-up, although it was within her family’s strict guidelines. She married a man who seems to suit her and like  most young families they prioritize where to spend their resources. As healthy food is important to both Of them, they look towards organics and fresh foods when feasible. 

I agree groceries could be their one indulgence. I've seen no evidence that they buy luxury cars or take luxury vacations or have plush home. I'm not upset by them having an indulgence. I am upset by the fact that their life style was funded by the selling of Jessas childhood and that it continues to be funded by the selling of Spurgeon and Henry's childhood. Jessa has never held a part time job. She has never made efforts to acquire skills or a higher education. She deserves scrutiny for this. Yes, I know her parents hobbled her on this severley. However, I don't think Ben will do this to Jessa. Jill, not Jessa or Jinger is the most educated Duggar gal with the most job experience. 

Recently, I made a special trip to Whole Foods to check produce prices, as my local bargain grocery store was only selling overpriced, out of season produce. I was surprised to find reasonably priced in season produce at WF. I think it really depends on what you buy and where. For example, unless you're allergic to gluten, flour is flour be it generic or name brand. I know my family saves on the basics (flour, salt, sugar, veggies) to spend money on things that do differ in taste based off of brands (protein bars, yogurt, etc)

I don't care where Jessa shops, or how she spends her money, because, unlike Derelict, she isn't out begging for a handout to avoid working.  I don't know where or how she & Ben are making their money but they aren't grifting for it. 

I shop at Whole Foods for stuff I can't get anywhere else... I was there tonight buying marshmallows, lol... My son can't do artificial dyes, flavors, sweeteners, or a few other things... they're triggers for his ADHD

I do use it as a teaching experience though, especially for budgeting. "No we're not going to buy those Annie's bunnies here... Why? Because they cost $5 here, and they're $2.50 at HEB"

If Jessa spends a bit extra at WH but doesn't preach thriftiness 24/7 then it doesn't seem hypocritical to me. She may have touted that in the past or specifically for baby items or whatever but it's not her main talking point these days.

It's true Jill gets judged where Jessa or Jinger get a pass sometimes. Human nature when we get more frequent reminders about the Dillard belief system maybe than with the Seewald or Vuolos? Either way each cute picture needs a mental caveat or warning label about the parents' beliefs.

I thought Whole Foods prices were better now that Amazon owns them. I no longer live close enough to one to shop there so I’m not certain.

2 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

If Jessa spends a bit extra at WH but doesn't preach thriftiness 24/7 then it doesn't seem hypocritical to me. She may have touted that in the past or specifically for baby items or whatever but it's not her main talking point these days.

It's true Jill gets judged where Jessa or Jinger get a pass sometimes. Human nature when we get more frequent reminders about the Dillard belief system maybe than with the Seewald or Vuolos? Either way each cute picture needs a mental caveat or warning label about the parents' beliefs.

Being thrifty on baby items is wise... babies grow out of so much so fast - clothing, toys, bedding, etc. However items like carseats, prams, strollers and cots when you are planning a large family should IMO be purchased new (or borrowed/brought from places you know the history of them - not some random consignment store). 

9 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I don't care where Jessa shops, or how she spends her money, because, unlike Derelict, she isn't out begging for a handout to avoid working.  I don't know where or how she & Ben are making their money but they aren't grifting for it. 

You’re right that they’re not begging like Derick and that’s a very good thing. That said Derick and Jill are no longer selling their kids’ childhoods via TLC, while Jessa and Ben and all the other married couples with kids (besides the Smuggars) continue to do so. That’s likely where some of Benessa’s income comes from - the sale of their childrens’ childhoods and right to privacy. I don’t care whether it was Dill’s choice to leave the show or not. Sure I’m curious about what happened, but I mostly just think it’s a very good thing that Izzy and Sam won’t grow up on national television the way so many of their cousins will.

(The Dills are still using social media and their blog, but I don’t think they get as many viewers or nearly as much money that way. I still think it’s problematic given how many followers they have, but I don’t think it’s necessarily on the same level as having the kids on reality tv.)

I'm going to disagree on the consignment store thing. I used to shop at the same Once Upon a Child store the Duggars were filmed at and it's NICE. They were very careful to inspect things before allowing them out on the sales floor and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a stroller or a Pack n Play there. Never a used car seat though. And I'm very picky about what I'll buy from Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace but I still do it. 

Whole Foods prices are comparable to what their local Harps would charge, maybe Whole Foods is just closer/bigger/better selection? 

perhaps she is finally using the whole foods gift cards she got sent for her wedding. 

Just saying 

and no i didn't send her those

:D

Personally, maybe I’m biased because I’m a REALLY “frugal” person ( or cheap, take your pick ) - but isn’t saving money on clothes, household goods, furniture, cars, etc generally considered a GOOD thing ? It doesn’t mean you need to budget shop on every single item. But, generally, saving money on some things gives you more money to spend on what matters, to you, doesn’t it? 

I don’t know maybe it varies by area, culture ( like wedding customs ) But I’ve noticed three sorts of reactions when someone is complimented on a new item - say a purse. “Thanks!” Thanks, It’s Gucci” or ( my family / friends ) “ Thanks! I scored it at Good Will for only $5! “

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived