IGNORED

Seewalds 34: No News Yet

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

i agree with the 'no diaper' approach, it is easier when it is warm weather, obviously. get a couple of potty chairs and put them in the different rooms where the toddler is, so one is available all the time, no rushing to get to one. and if its not time, just wait a bit...don't push it

when granddaughter #2 was learning, we gave her an m&m for each time she went pee or poop, little smartie started peeing teeny little bits at a time, over and over, just to get more candy LOL

No diapers wouldn’t work for us. We have no fenced yard because we live in a condo complex and the only non-carpeted rooms are the kitchen and bathrooms. We have no way to gate off the kitchen and the bathrooms aren’t big enough to hang out in all day long. 

We’d like to avoid pull-ups if we can. I plan to look into what other options there are and see what works for us.

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I have 2 kids. One couldn't be potty trained until he was 3 years old (he hadn't enough muscle control). The other one potty trained himself... at 21 months he was controlling all day, at 24 months he controlled at night. 

In general, toddlers tend to control at 2.5 years old or even later, it's not common to control at 18 months and it's still difficult at 2. Daycare teachers told me that potty train a kid that is not ready is extremely frustrating for the parents and can have bad consequences for the health (constipation is the most common, which can be chronic if the kid is punished often). 

So you're probably right if you wait. And maybe you're lucky and your baby will potty train herself :banana-drums:

That’s what I’ve read too. If she were full-term and showing lots of signs of readiness it’d be one thing, but she’s a preemie and is showing some signs. I figure this is one of those things we’re its best to proceed with caution so it ends up hopefully being a good experience for her. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did training pants with plastic "bloomers" over them for the times we left the apartment during the "naked days."

When GryffindorDisappointment decided "no dipe, Mommy" that was it. She never wet her pants OR the bed. She was completely trained at 21 months. 

Agree with the pull-ups. What a joke - just a way for diaper companies to milk parents for more money after the typical diaper age/size.

The story goes that when I was around 18 months old, my mom came into my room one morning and said, “Jennifer, you’re a big girl now, it’s time to stop wearing diapers and to start wearing big girl parties.”  And me, being the precocious, Romper Room watching child that I was replied, “I’ll do it on Monday.”  So my mom explained that Monday was in x amount of days and she was going to hold me to it.  Monday came and I put on my big girl panties and never wore a diaper again.  So, imagine my mom’s surprise when my sister, who was a mere 13 months younger than me outright refused to use a toilet until she was nearly 4.

@VelociRapture, Gerber sells padded undies that work pretty well. They're not water proof, but you can always do plastic pants over them.  A lot of the cloth diaper companies make training pants too, some of them with built in waterproof outers. The plus side with Gerber is that they're fairly cheap, and easy to find at Walmart, or wherever

Gerber undies -Wow, lots more patterns than when my guy was little! he was a peanut, and I could sometimes find the undies in size 18 months

Plastic pants

10 minutes ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

@VelociRapture, Gerber sells padded undies that work pretty well. They're not water proof, but you can always do plastic pants over them.  A lot of the cloth diaper companies make training pants too, some of them with built in waterproof outers. The plus side with Gerber is that they're fairly cheap, and easy to find at Walmart, or wherever

Gerber undies -Wow, lots more patterns than when my guy was little! he was a peanut, and I could sometimes find the undies in size 18 months

Plastic pants

Thanks! I’ll keep those in mind. They could be a great option for us!

Toilet training is a you do what works and the same thing will not work with every child.  I had everything from 5 minutes with a very young toddler (This is the potty.  Sit on this instead of using a diaper.) to over a year with a much older child.  You never know.  Oddly the super, super easy to train child is now the mother of the grandchildren who were both slow toilet trainers and she tried every method and trick everyone could come up with.  Bribery (candy rewards) was the last resort and what ultimately worked.  My daughter and SIL were philosophically and dietarily opposed to using sugar to get kids to use the toilet.  It's kind of funny they ended up there both times.  Also funny that I either never needed it or it didn't work for my kids.

I agree with the Gerber or whatever you find training pants.  It's so much better to have the kid feel wet and soggy than another diaper product that has no impact on them.  I used those on the kids that needed them and also had good luck with the go naked approach but I don't like to clean floors so that was a warm weather outside only option for me so I get your feelings there.

FYI - losing your grip on your toddler while she's sitting on a full-sized toilet will result in a 2-month regression in toilet training progress.

My mom had GryffDis peeing/pooping on the toilet while GryffDis was visiting them. GryffDis had to pee, so my mom told me to put her on the toilet. I did, but I lost my grip. Back in diapers for two more months...

(All I could do was laugh hysterically because the kid was shaped like this a V in the toilet. My dad got SO MAD at me for laughing.)

7 hours ago, Georgiana said:

My sister and I responded well to "normal" potty training techniques, but my brother...nothing worked.  He just didn't WANT to potty train.  He wanted to use a diaper because it was easier for him, and he didn't have to take breaks from playing.  He could use the potty, he could tell you when he needed to go, but he just wasn't interested in doing so at home (he'd use the potty with his friends at daycare/pre-school).  He'd use his pants if he wasn't in diapers or pull-ups.  He completely refused to take a break to go potty.

Until one day we took a 6 hour road trip to visit my aunt.  My brother (nearing 4 at the time) wet his diaper shortly after we left, despite being told to go potty before hand.  My parents told him "Tough luck.  You don't want to use the potty. This is what happens when you use diapers." and made him sit in it until we stopped.  He was MISERABLE.

And he never used a diaper or a pull up ever again.

My nephew was exactly like that. The potty took too much time away from whatever he was doing and he refused to do it. He did not even give in at daycare. He would refuse to let anyone change the diaper until he felt it was convenient for him as well.

He was nearly 4 before he gave in and used the potty. 

23 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

FYI - losing your grip on your toddler while she's sitting on a full-sized toilet will result in a 2-month regression in toilet training progress.

My mom had GryffDis peeing/pooping on the toilet while GryffDis was visiting them. GryffDis had to pee, so my mom told me to put her on the toilet. I did, but I lost my grip. Back in diapers for two more months...

I had to laugh because this happened to me - I toilet trained very early - also self weaned at 6mo, ran early and flat out screaming Mimi refused to sleep in anything other than a big girl bed by 18 months - so safe to say I was a little too independent for my own good. I was around 2 1/2 when I got up at night to pee and discovered the hard way that my father hasn't put the seat down. I folded up into a v and my bottom landed in the water. I screamed like a banshee and both my parents wound up vaulting up to rescue me. When they saw what happened, they started laughing and stopped to get the camera and take a pre-rescue picture before hauling me out and dumping me in the bath. I bit my father's hand in retribution. It was the last time he left a seat up, and I learned to look before I sat. :kitty-wink:

Also know everyone goes at their own pace! Between me and my twin brother, my brother was super early while I was basically 4.

12 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I had one of those kids ! Also he would take off the Velcro wrist bracelet. He was, obviously, the kid who needed the most watching in the first place ! He also could (and would ) undo the buckles on the stroller, the car seat, etc etc etc. The kid was a Houdini AND a runner .  So we always tried SOMETHING to keep him contained ! 

With a couple of his siblings we also did the backpack or Velcro wrist things on longer outings occasionally, like to a fair or amusement park. Usually around age 2 -4 ish. Especially if there were more children then adults / strollers. to give them turns in the stroller.

I always saw them as giving a small child MORE freedom, not less. When they are old enough to walk, but not big enough to walk without holding on to someone’s hand. 

I had the Velcro wrist leash for my son, and I would loop it on a back belt loop on his pants, He too could get it off his wrist and I didn't want to pay for the back pack one so I improvised. 1st time I looped it to the back of his pants he was running in a circle trying to see where it was attached, like a dog chasing his tail.  He was so cute. 

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

Also know everyone goes at their own pace! Between me and my twin brother, my brother was super early while I was basically 4.

Yes to this. I was 4 and 3 months old before potty training clicked for me. My mother always she used to tell me if I didn't learn, I couldn't go to school. That's what did it for me.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I did training pants with plastic "bloomers" over them for the times we left the apartment during the "naked days."

When GryffindorDisappointment decided "no dipe, Mommy" that was it. She never wet her pants OR the bed. She was completely trained at 21 months. 

Agree with the pull-ups. What a joke - just a way for diaper companies to milk parents for more money after the typical diaper age/size.

Pull ups were a godsend for us. DS was afraid of sitting on the potty, no idea why, he never fell in,  I don't know what the deal was with him but he was FINALLY potty trained at 3 1/2 when I taught him to pee standing up, his father would do it because he thought it was "weird". But he refused to poop on the toilet until he was 4.  So pull ups were good for that, and then The Good Nights were the best, ds was a bed wetter until he was almost 7 and they made life much easier than changing bed sheets every night. 

DD was a whole different story. When she was 2 1/2 we started potty training, it was Labor Day weekend and we were painting our house so the kids would be outside a lot "helping" us. Saturday morning we put her new panties on and she did alright she had 2 accidents that day, and Sunday she never had an accident and that was that.  She wasn't a bed wetter, I did have 1 pack of Pull Ups for her, I used them for about 3 months. I would put them on her when we were going be out running errands for long periods of time, where getting to a bathroom when the toddler tells you she has to go isn't easy to do. 

I used a very simple book called “How to Potty Train in Three Days” and it worked perfectly for my daughter. It essentially involved staying home for 3 days and her being naked from the waist down. It really worked like a charm. She was almost 3 when I did this with her. My son was a different story. I tried using the same strategies from the book but he hated being naked. I was using pull ups but that was definitely a crutch for him. He got the peeing down first but would continue to poop in his underwear. I finally had to do a rewards chart with prizes to motivate him and it worked! Thankfully both kids will pee in any bathroom. Some of my friends have kids who won’t pee in public places, making it hard to go anywhere. 

14 hours ago, karen77 said:

FYI, I really liked the book Oh Crap Potty Training...

https://www.amazon.com/Oh-Crap-Potty-Training-Everything-ebook/dp/B00V3L8YSU

Seconded! We followed the steps in this book and my daughter was consistently taking herself to the potty by day two (BMs took a little longer for her to figure out which was fine). And thankfully we haven't had any regression even with the arrival of her baby sister last month. One kid down!

5 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

My son (potty trained at way-over-4) pissed the bed until he was 7... My daughter was dry at night the day after she decided to potty train herself at 20 months.

(It also happened to be the day after I bulk-bought loads of diapers. So we had a reverse situation. Cheapo me kept trying to make her use them, just so we didn't waste all that money, while she was adamant she wanted to use the potty..... As with most things, she won in the end!)

I don't have kids myself (but hopefully will in the future!) but a child psychiatrist I know told me that up to age 7 is not out of the normal range for potty-training, and for bed-wetting I think it was early to mid-teens before it becomes outside the normal range. So I just wanted to say that if you have a 4-year-old that you're still working on potty training with, that's okay! That's not late! Each kid has it's own pace :)

21 minutes ago, BundleofJoy said:

Each kid has it's own pace :)

Yes! I can't like this enough! (This goes for all ages imo).

2 hours ago, ElToro said:

(It also happened to be the day after I bulk-bought loads of diapers. So we had a reverse situation. Cheapo me kept trying to make her use them, just so we didn't waste all that money, while she was adamant she wanted to use the potty..... As with most things, she won in the end!)

One of my parents was cleaning out their wardrobe a year or 2 ago and they found a packet of diapers in there... My younger sister was over 30...

1 hour ago, BundleofJoy said:

I don't have kids myself (but hopefully will in the future!) but a child psychiatrist I know told me that up to age 7 is not out of the normal range for potty-training, and for bed-wetting I think it was early to mid-teens before it becomes outside the normal range. So I just wanted to say that if you have a 4-year-old that you're still working on potty training with, that's okay! That's not late! Each kid has it's own pace :)

Our Pediatrician said he didn't get concerned about boys wetting the bed until they were about 10 or 11. My sons problem was he is such a heavy sleeper he just wouldn't wake up.  We had to buy the kid a vibrating sonic alarm clock to keep him from over sleeping at the end of his senior year in High School. He still use it and that thing is so loud you can hear it outside.  But he doesn't over sleep anymore.

18 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

when granddaughter #2 was learning, we gave her an m&m for each time she went pee or poop, little smartie started peeing teeny little bits at a time, over and over, just to get more candy LOL

This practice led to the first time I ever saw my youngest sister (who is 21 years younger - just call me Jana) LIE. I took her to the bathroom while she was being potty-trained and when we got back her mother asked her if she pooed, and she said, 'yep', cool as a cucumber. She was 2 years old, and she did it for the milky bar buttons. I was kind of impressed actually.

19 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Our Pediatrician said he didn't get concerned about boys wetting the bed until they were about 10 or 11. My sons problem was he is such a heavy sleeper he just wouldn't wake up.  We had to buy the kid a vibrating sonic alarm clock to keep him from over sleeping at the end of his senior year in High School. He still use it and that thing is so loud you can hear it outside.  But he doesn't over sleep anymore.

My son is 5 and is in pullups at night. He can USUALLY hold his pee if he falls asleep for a nap - but has woken up dry maybe twice in his whole life. So... we wait. He'll get there eventually.

3 hours ago, ElToro said:

My son (potty trained at way-over-4) pissed the bed until he was 7... My daughter was dry at night the day after she decided to potty train herself at 20 months.

This happened with me as well. I had just bulk bought 2 huge boxes of diapers, but my daughter had been showing signs of being ready to try the potty. I had a long weekend coming up so I thought, what the hell, I'll give cold turkey potty training a try. Shocked but happy that it worked. Being too lazy to return the diapers I just put them away in the closet of what will be her little brother's room. I guarantee it will be an entirely different brand and style of diaper that will "work" for him when he is the right size for the diapers, so I'll probably just end up donating them somewhere.

Problem I sometimes see with "late" potty training is a lot of American schools have early learning programs geared towards 4/5 year olds but in order to attend, the kids have to be potty trained. And the schools now expect kids to know letters, numbers, colors, etc BEFORE they start kindergarten because they jump right into reading and sight words, so if parents don't bother teaching anything at home then you end up with a 6 year old in 1st grade who doesn't know the alphabet and an irritated teacher at school. (Saw this happen with an acquaintance of mine, made me SO sad for the kid cuz her mom really is just that lazy. NOT SAYING all parents with kids who bloom late are!!

4 hours ago, BundleofJoy said:

The frustration becomes the cost (disposable) or the time (cloth) for diapers dragging on. And the kid getting too big for them or for changing to be easy (especially away from home--3.5 year old nephew was too big for those changing tables in public restrooms--he was a bigger than average kid and grew up to be nearly 6'5"). And when a kid is old enough to say "can you change my diaper now?", well, you start to feel like perhaps he could use the damn toilet. 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived