IGNORED

Seewalds 34: No News Yet

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Another leash question: If the toddler is wearing a backpack type harness, could they not just undo the buckle thing on their chest, leave the backpack and run off, or is the buckle hard for toddler fingers to undo? 

I had one of those kids ! Also he would take off the Velcro wrist bracelet. He was, obviously, the kid who needed the most watching in the first place ! He also could (and would ) undo the buckles on the stroller, the car seat, etc etc etc. The kid was a Houdini AND a runner .  So we always tried SOMETHING to keep him contained ! 

With a couple of his siblings we also did the backpack or Velcro wrist things on longer outings occasionally, like to a fair or amusement park. Usually around age 2 -4 ish. Especially if there were more children then adults / strollers. to give them turns in the stroller.

I always saw them as giving a small child MORE freedom, not less. When they are old enough to walk, but not big enough to walk without holding on to someone’s hand. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We did about three weeks of naked - during which time she potty-trained herself, so win/win? lol 

(At 21 months - and I had nothing to do with it - her little playmate in our apartment building was being actively potty-trained, and she was watching/learning.. )

We’re preparing to potty train our daughter and it’d be pretty phenomenal if she decided to just do it herself. She had no issues dropping the pacifier or switching from the bottle to a straw sippy cup, so I’m just going to lower my expectations completely and assume this will be the thing we struggle with. :pb_lol:

9 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

We’re preparing to potty train our daughter and it’d be pretty phenomenal if she decided to just do it herself. She had no issues dropping the pacifier or switching from the bottle to a straw sippy cup, so I’m just going to lower my expectations completely and assume this will be the thing we struggle with. :pb_lol:

Good luck and be patient.  We have been at it for a month and a half and there are definite set backs but just take a deep breath and move on!  

30 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

FYI, I really liked the book Oh Crap Potty Training...

https://www.amazon.com/Oh-Crap-Potty-Training-Everything-ebook/dp/B00V3L8YSU

10 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Good luck and be patient.  We have been at it for a month and a half and there are definite set backs but just take a deep breath and move on!  

We’ve opted to wait to start the actual potty training. She’s 19 months, so she’s old enough and she is showing some signs of readiness... but everything I’ve read says it can be a bit easier for many kids if you wait until they’re closer to 2*. So for now we’re going to stick to reading her books about going potty, letting her observe when I use the restroom, and letting her sit on it (with her diaper on) when she indicates she wants to. I figure the more positive things we share with her about going potty ahead of time the better.

*Note that I specifically said “many” and not “all” because there will always be kids who potty train earlier or later than that. 

Just now, VelociRapture said:

and letting her sit on it (with her diaper on) 

Why the diaper? Take it off - she may surprise you. :)

I don't know if you have one but I know they make child-size toilet seats that can be put on your toilet with your regular seat as part of the lid. When the child needs to go potty you just flip down the one that fits the child's bottom which is located under the lid and when an adult is going that folds up to fit under the lid. I don't know how long they've been available but I think they are wonderful much better than even a potty chair! I've seen them used with a little stool that the child can use to get up to grown-up toilet level.

25 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

When I was working with my son on potty training - my niece (who runs a daycare and has an ECE degree) said "If it's work? He's not ready."
And you know what - he wasn't. He did finally catch on around 4 (yes, yes, I know) and really - it was a breeze. We tried it before that - sticker charts, M&Ms - the whole deal - but we never really pressured him - but it was like he woke up one day and went "Hey - I can pee in the potty!"

And never looked back.

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We tried once. She hopped off immediately, ran around, wouldn’t get back on the potty, and it was an epic battle to get the diaper on again. That wouldn’t be an issue if we didn’t have carpeting right outside both bathrooms, but we do and we’re hoping to move in the next year so those need to stay in good condition.  :pb_lol:

Her adjusted age is just under 18 months as well, so we’re keeping that in mind as we plan when to really start trying. 

Just now, Audrey2 said:

I don't know if you have one but I know they make child-size toilet seats that can be put on your toilet with your regular seat as part of the lid. When the child needs to go potty you just flip down the one that fits the child's bottom which is located under the lid and when an adult is going that folds up to fit under the lid. I don't know how long they've been available but I think they are wonderful much better than even a potty chair! I've seen them used with a little stool that the child can use to get up to grown-up toilet level.

We have a potty chair upstairs and a removable potty seat for the toilet downstairs. We weren’t sure which she’d like more, so we bought both just in case. She’s fine with both, but she seems to prefer the removable seat. I figure we can bring that upstairs as needed and the potty seat will be available as a backup if I forget to grab it or something. 

My son will pee in the toilet (or outside - sigh) but when he poops - he REALLY prefers the little potty chair. We have a stool and we have things for the seat to make them fit his little bum better and everything - but he prefers the little potty. He poop etc etc and then dumps it in the toilet.

I've found that for a lot of kids (not all mind you, but a lot), it actually works better if you start younger, around 18 months ish or even a bit earlier... they're less stubborn at that point than like a 3 year old, lol.. Yes, they need a bit more help than an older kiddo, but that's an exchange I'm willing to make. (I've worked in daycare forever, so I've done my fair share of potty training... and when I've got 11 kids ages 18 months to 2.5, the fewer diapers the better, lol)

It is definitely easier when you're at home though, and when they can go naked. My son is an October baby, so the summer he was a year and a halfish or so, he spent lots of naked time. He was out of diapers by about 22 months

46 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’ve done it four times. I recommend wait for 2.5 years. Throw all diapers in the bin. Don’t let them back in the house for any reason. Block off two weeks where you don’t need to go out for anything important. Stay home and by the end of two weeks you’ll be getting somewhere. As long as you do not let the diapers go back on FOR ANY REASON! Once she’s been dry all night once, take off the bedtime diaper too.

Lazy mom here.   Diapers were easy.  Potty training was hard and I didn't want to do it. I told all mine that 'nope, that's my potty chair. Only big people use it.'   Once they started insisting they were big...4 of them were potty trained by 2 and a half and the other one right before he turned three.  We were at a family wedding and he said 'I need to go.'  I said 'just go in your diaper' because I was having fun and didn't want to take him.   He said, "I will NOT!"  sigh....dang kids...   and he never wore a diaper again.

I will say that if you have books that aren't about going potty but where the characters do so that can help.  We basically started because Llama Lama Nighty Night includes potty time, and LO wanted to be like the Llama.  (Thats also why we use the removable seat instead of the little potty, because Llama does ::sigh:: I suppose there are worse characters to want to be like).

2 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I will say that if you have books that aren't about going potty but where the characters do so that can help.  We basically started because Llama Lama Nighty Night includes potty time, and LO wanted to be like the Llama.  (Thats also why we use the removable seat instead of the little potty, because Llama does ::sigh:: I suppose there are worse characters to want to be like).

We have “P Is For Potty” (starring Elmo), “Potty” (starring a nameless baby), and “Big Girl Panties” (which isn’t about using the potty, but getting to wear big kid underwear.) She loves those books, so we read them on a regular basis at this point. 

i agree with the 'no diaper' approach, it is easier when it is warm weather, obviously. get a couple of potty chairs and put them in the different rooms where the toddler is, so one is available all the time, no rushing to get to one. and if its not time, just wait a bit...don't push it

when granddaughter #2 was learning, we gave her an m&m for each time she went pee or poop, little smartie started peeing teeny little bits at a time, over and over, just to get more candy LOL

I also believe in cold turkey toilet training. Those Pull-Ups are a crutch!

Naked Child was potty trained at 2.5 (because she was always naked, and because her daycare was very good- they didn't like diapers on kids after 2 years old, so they had a system that worked for them. We regressed a little on the weekends, but still, she was done totally by 2.5).

The other two were done at 3. It was just "you're 3 now, and we don't have diapers after you're 3 years old." A couple of accidents, but once they used to it, they were done.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

We’ve opted to wait to start the actual potty training. She’s 19 months, so she’s old enough and she is showing some signs of readiness... but everything I’ve read says it can be a bit easier for many kids if you wait until they’re closer to 2*. So for now we’re going to stick to reading her books about going potty, letting her observe when I use the restroom, and letting her sit on it (with her diaper on) when she indicates she wants to. I figure the more positive things we share with her about going potty ahead of time the better.

*Note that I specifically said “many” and not “all” because there will always be kids who potty train earlier or later than that. 

I have 2 kids. One couldn't be potty trained until he was 3 years old (he hadn't enough muscle control). The other one potty trained himself... at 21 months he was controlling all day, at 24 months he controlled at night. 

In general, toddlers tend to control at 2.5 years old or even later, it's not common to control at 18 months and it's still difficult at 2. Daycare teachers told me that potty train a kid that is not ready is extremely frustrating for the parents and can have bad consequences for the health (constipation is the most common, which can be chronic if the kid is punished often). 

So you're probably right if you wait. And maybe you're lucky and your baby will potty train herself :banana-drums:

We went cold turkey "no diapers" at 18 months and toddler surprised us by being completely daytime trained within a few days. Night time training is pretty complete now at 22 months. As most things related to parenting, I consider this a result of nothing special that I did but of child deciding what she wanted to do. :pb_lol: 

My sister and I responded well to "normal" potty training techniques, but my brother...nothing worked.  He just didn't WANT to potty train.  He wanted to use a diaper because it was easier for him, and he didn't have to take breaks from playing.  He could use the potty, he could tell you when he needed to go, but he just wasn't interested in doing so at home (he'd use the potty with his friends at daycare/pre-school).  He'd use his pants if he wasn't in diapers or pull-ups.  He completely refused to take a break to go potty.

Until one day we took a 6 hour road trip to visit my aunt.  My brother (nearing 4 at the time) wet his diaper shortly after we left, despite being told to go potty before hand.  My parents told him "Tough luck.  You don't want to use the potty. This is what happens when you use diapers." and made him sit in it until we stopped.  He was MISERABLE.

And he never used a diaper or a pull up ever again.

My sister couldn't speak when she started potty training, so we taught her the baby sign for potty. Apparently we missed teaching my dad though. They were out somewhere and she was signing more and more urgently and he had no idea what she wanted, luckily there was someone nearby who knew and helped him out!! 

I worked with kids for a long time and my favorite was when kids decided they wanted to go on the potty with their friends. That or the time we trusted 2 kids to go together and one later told us that he helped the other wipe...oops we should have supervised that!!

The one tried and true trick that worked for a lot of kids (especially the ones who tried to hold it in on the toilet) was an iPad and their favorite show. They'd sit there forever that way and when they went we'd praise the hell out of them and make it the best thing ever! A lot of them only took once at that point.

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

While I understand that there could be some major hygiene/culture issues, I do really like the concept of the assless pants I'd see little Chinese babies and toddlers running around in when I lived in China. They'll just take a dump when they're ready to take a dump, and instead of all the hassle of transitioning from diapers to pull-ups to underpants, all you have to do is teach the kid where it's OK/not OK to poop. 

Wake me up when the potty training talk is over!    Lol

(No offense ment, but experience tells me that when you put a bunch of parents, with toddlers, together....this “potty talk” could be endless.)

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

While I understand that there could be some major hygiene/culture issues, I do really like the concept of the assless pants I'd see little Chinese babies and toddlers running around in when I lived in China. They'll just take a dump when they're ready to take a dump, and instead of all the hassle of transitioning from diapers to pull-ups to underpants, all you have to do is teach the kid where it's OK/not OK to poop. 

To be fair, depending on where you are in China, adults as well may not exclusively use bathrooms to relieve themselves.  Public hygiene education still has a long way to go in many areas, and many people genuinely do not understand why you must ONLY use specified bathrooms.  I've seen...things.  

And I saw a lot of kids relieve themselves just wherever.  So the problem with assless pants is that if your kid doesn't communicate or you don't tend to them in time or whatever, now instead of a contained mess that you can deal with, you have poop on the floor in the middle of...wherever you are.  They were only so tolerant of it in China.  In the US, I'd expect you to get banned from the establishment (and for good reason!) or in a conflict if your child happened to relieve themselves on another person (which I also saw happen).

On 7/11/2018 at 2:02 AM, GutenbergGirl said:

Then, I saw my niece feeding her 3 month old tiny pieces of pizza.  And chicken.  And taco meat.  Peanut butter.  Putting regular milk with strawberry Quik in Baby's bottle at 4 months....  Coke at 5 months.

Did she not have a pediatrician?

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived