IGNORED

Francis: Abortion is white glove version of Nazi crimes

47of74

Ugh

Pope Francis denounced abortion on Saturday as the "white glove" equivalent of the Nazi-era eugenics program and urged families to accept the children that God gives them.

Francis spoke off-the-cuff to a meeting of an Italian family association. The Vatican didn't immediately provide a transcript of his remarks, but the ANSA news agency and the SIR agency of the Italian bishops' conference quoted him as denouncing the pre-natal tests that can result in parents choosing to terminate a pregnancy if the fetus is malformed or suffering other problems.

"Last century, the whole world was scandalized by what the Nazis did to purify the race. Today, we do the same thing but with white gloves," the agencies quoted Francis as saying.

The pope urged families to accept children "as God gives them to us."

I suppose the reich to life fucks will soon be out parroting this horseshit. 

This is exactly why I'll never return to the Catholic church for any reason.  Francis might be a little bit to the left of Benny or JPII but this shows there's not much daylight between him and either man.

I don't see the RCC ever changing their stance.  Who would they be if they allowed divorce and abortion?  I don't have to be a part of it but, I'm not shocked or anything. 

I'm not really surprised, the Catholic church has always been against abortion.  Francis is kind of odd, in my opinion.  I am not Catholic and do not claim to be an expert in Popes!  But he seems to have conflicting views at times and sometimes it confuses me.  I'm never surprised when a church is against abortion.  I'm pro-life with the caveat that I don't feel like I would have been able to have one but that I also can't tell someone else what they can/can't do and I don't really like to use the term pro-life because it is usually connected with the militant anti-abortion crowd.  I am very concerned about the commercials I have seen on tv in Oklahoma - and I can not remember the man's name for anything at the moment! - that are funded by an anti-abortion group calling themselves abolitionists.  The male candidate is very angry sounding and calls it murder, and he also talks about the women murdering their children which makes me think he would go after the woman and maybe not the doctor; I'm sure that even in a case of rape, he would still blame the woman.

On the topic of choice, be prepared for a new onslaught: “Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger was a racist so all pro-choicers are, too.”

The Nazi/Holocaust comparison angers me so badly. We want the right to choose life, to choose termination.  Nazis were not about choice. They took all rights away from literally millions of living, breathing human beings and forced them into enslavement and death. 

The proper comparison is between anti-choicers and Nazis.  Neither group wants personal freedom nor self-determination for women.  And many of them are also supporters of the death penalty and the killing  in wartime. Why aren’t they consistent about that? Sacred fetus, sacred prisoner. 

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Why aren’t they consistent about that? Sacred fetus, sacred prisoner. 

The right wing is full of cognizant dissonance and mostly just plain hypocrisy. Do as I say and not as I do.

On 6/16/2018 at 3:53 PM, Briefly said:

I'm pro-life with the caveat that I don't feel like I would have been able to have one but that I also can't tell someone else what they can/can't do 

The term for that is pro-choice.  For the most part, people are really not pro-abortion. Pro-choicers are for allowing everyone to make their own choices, even if they don't personally agree with that choice.

10 hours ago, zeebaneighba said:

The term for that is pro-choice. 

Yep, pro-choice isn't "everyone has to feel like they would have an abortion" it is realizing that everyone gets to make their own decision on this subject. Plenty of pro-choice people feel like they personally wouldn't have an abortion. And I don't call the anti-abortion people pro-life because the movement shows no concern for the lives of women. They are pro-forced pregnancy. 

On 6/16/2018 at 4:53 PM, Briefly said:

I'm pro-life with the caveat that I don't feel like I would have been able to have one but that I also can't tell someone else what they can/can't do and I don't really like to use the term pro-life because it is usually connected with the militant anti-abortion crowd.

23 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Or children who are already born.

And they don't even really seem to care that much about the fetus because the anti-choice movement typically supports politicians who will cut programs that help low income pregnant women. 

Pro-life movement =  we give no shits about women/baby/child/fetus as long as that woman has to stay pregnant

I once read somewhere that anyone staunchly against abortion should have to work with abused children for a period of time then go through the police records of murdered children and read some cases for a while before they express their opinions. How can we make that a law?

Unless, of course, she gives the baby to a Nice Christian Couple(TM) so it can "have a better life."

11 hours ago, zeebaneighba said:

The term for that is pro-choice.  For the most part, people are really not pro-abortion. Pro-choicers are for allowing everyone to make their own choices, even if they don't personally agree with that choice.

I probably should have figured that out for myself!  I guess my brain wandered off for a moment.  That happens sometimes!  Thinking about it, I think that's exactly right.  Pro choice does not mean pro abortion.  I guess I always thought that it did, but I am always willing to admit that I was wrong.

It’s odd how a fixed window of fertility can change things. I have two years left till hysterectomy. It is not my plan to get pregnant. Life circumstance are not appropriate and it is not anything I desire. But damn....if it happened accidentally, I’d very likely consider adoption. If my body saw fit to make a child, I’d want to give it a shot I think.

It’s frustrating that the Catholic Church is so compassionate on some issues (caring for the poor, social justice work, opposition to the death penalty) and so uncompassionate on others (marriage equality, full empowerment of women, reproductive rights).  These were the issues that led me from Catholicism to the UU.

I’m honestly getting whiplash from the Catholic Church this week. On one hand, I’m busy applauding because they’ve come out fairly strong against the zero tolerance detainment shit. On the other, you’ve got the Pope saying stuff like this. Neither is surprising, but it’d be nice if they gave me at least a week between saying stuff that gives me opposing reactions. :pb_lol: 

On 6/18/2018 at 7:56 AM, TheOneAndOnly said:

I once read somewhere that anyone staunchly against abortion should have to work with abused children for a period of time then go through the police records of murdered children and read some cases for a while before they express their opinions. How can we make that a law?

Or be a foster parent. I'm friends with foster parents and what they have seen and experienced makes me doubt the whole "give birth then put it in the system" thing. Plus the system itself has many issues. 

Archived