IGNORED

Kendra, Joe and Garrett Duggar, Part 10

Jellybean

For as many people that told me I wouldn’t care about anything during birth except getting the baby out...I really couldn’t believe it until I experienced it. Then I was half naked, laying on my side with my leg on a midwife’s shoulder, pooping on the bed while my husband looked on, and straight up DID. NOT. CARE. 

Also put me in the camp of women more freaked out by the epidural than giving birth without drugs. I’m dreading going through it again in a few months, but as much as I know it hurts I just have no temptation whatsoever to let them shove a needle in my back and render my legs useless. Even though the urge to push takes over and I really had no control, the epidural seems like giving up control of my body and that gives me more anxiety than anything. I’m actually kind of jealous of people who get an epidural, I just can’t talk myself into it. Even knowing there’s a possibility this next kid will be just as chunky and big headed as his big brother. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had complete control over my legs with my epidural. They were numb for maybe a few minutes and then I got feeling and movement back. I could feel my legs, I could feel my upper body, I had full range of movement. I just couldn't feel any pain at all.  I felt the numbing prick before the needle was put in but that's it. The anesthesiologist who administered my epidural deserves a prize. She had us dim the lights, turn off the TV, and have complete silence while she placed the epidural and after she left the room my husband made some snarky remark about how we couldn't disturb her "delicate genius" or something like that. Truer words were never spoken. :pb_lol:

I don't care at all which doctor in my practice delivers my second in September, but I do hope I have that anesthesiologist again!

5 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I had complete control over my legs with my epidural. They were numb for maybe a few minutes and then I got feeling and movement back. I could feel my legs, I could feel my upper body, I had full range of movement. I just couldn't feel any pain at all. 

Me too. I could still wiggle my toes, change positions, and move my legs, but pain was gone. I've had two epidurals now and I did not find either of them to be particularly painful. Just a pinch, especially compared to labor. Labor is not just a pinch. 

After watching that vid on Tumblr I think she definitely had an epidural.

4 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

After watching that vid on Tumblr I think she definitely had an epidural.

Really? My thoughts were she didn’t. She seemed to be in pain the whole time and she switched positions various times (stood up, sat down, layed down) which you can’t do with an epidural. 

@HarleyQuinn I was thinking she might have too. The pushing part didn't look as painful as some of the earlier clips when she was trying to power through contractions. I hope she did if she wanted one. 

Maybe she had a ‘walking epidural’. Pretty much takes the edge off but doesn’t numb you as fully as a proper epidural. 

23 hours ago, PurpleCats said:

Breast milk mix up? That’s... concerning to say the least.

Yes. It was an honest mistake made overnight by a NICU Nurse. The issue was identified very quickly and the staff informed us first thing in the morning - the Head NICU Doctor, Head NICU Nurse, another one or two Administrators, and the Nurse in charge of my daughter came to explain what happened, apologize profusely, and tell us what they were doing to make sure both babies were ok. The poor Nurse who was caring for my daughter was in tears as she apologized to us because she felt so horrible. My husband and I were upset, but we were mostly just grateful that they identified the issue so quickly and that both babies were doing fine. They had my blood work and the other mother’s blood work on file already - we were both clear of any diseases - so the extra blood work was more of a precaution than anything.

But yeah. Just one more thing that made our transition to parenthood a little bit scarier and harder than it should have been. The rest of her NICU stay was as smooth as could possibly be, so we ended up being more grateful than upset. 

6 hours ago, lizzybee said:

Me too. I could still wiggle my toes, change positions, and move my legs, but pain was gone. I've had two epidurals now and I did not find either of them to be particularly painful. Just a pinch, especially compared to labor. Labor is not just a pinch. 

It took forever for it to wear off for me, especially my left leg. That’s the biggest reason I ended up passing out the afternoon I gave birth to be honest. I got to hold my baby a few minutes before she was whisked off to NICU and I was so desperate to see her again that I pushed myself way too hard. I ended up not seeing her for about 14 hours after she was taken away and I was almost crawling out of my skin by the time my husband wheeled me upstairs and handed her to me.

If I could redo it I would still get the epidural though. Having it gave me time to rest a bit overnight, allowed me to begin to emotionally process the fact that I was in premature labor, and helped me accept that the baby might have some serious health complications as a result of her prematurity. It was definitely the right choice for me given the circumstances.

6 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Really? My thoughts were she didn’t. She seemed to be in pain the whole time and she switched positions various times (stood up, sat down, layed down) which you can’t do with an epidural. 

I had an epidural and switched positions quite a bit. I was also able to stand, I just had one leg that was kind of wonky. Her pushes kind of reminded me of how I was in labor, but who knows. 

I also assumed she might've had something because her mom at some point was saying like "oh look Kendra he's almost out" and Kendra didn't have an idea but I guess it could've been like delirium from pushing which is totally expected. Is epidural also one of the side effects getting shivers? I vaguely remember my mom saying that after me, an emergency c-section, she said she felt so cold post birth.

Shaking is common in both types of births due to the massive surges and dropping of adrenaline and oxytocin. It almost sends the body into a form of shock. Usually wears off in a couple of minutes but can be a few hours.

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

I also assumed she might've had something because her mom at some point was saying like "oh look Kendra he's almost out" and Kendra didn't have an idea but I guess it could've been like delirium from pushing which is totally expected. Is epidural also one of the side effects getting shivers? I vaguely remember my mom saying that after me, an emergency c-section, she said she felt so cold post birth.

To be frank, most woman have no idea the baby is coming out because they’re too busy focussing on pushing and breathing. Shivers can happen to all woman regardless of an epidural. 

I’m going with no epidural because she’s still standing (and while there a different types and people reactie different to it, it really is uncommon to be able to walk around with an epidural). 

Got to give Kendra and Joe for having a hospital birth.  

Epidural birth here- either worked too well or they overdosed me. I was numb almost up to my shoulders. Tanked my blood pressure and I passed out several times. They shut it off probably within an hour of turning it on and I still couldn't feel my legs until a couple hours after birth. 

I didn't wear the hospital gown. They handed it to me and told me to get undressed but I just wore a black skirt and a black nursing bra. Nurses didn't object and the doctor thought I was cute lol. I can't remember when I lost the skirt but doc made me take off the bra while pushing(after 20 hours of labor) so I could do skin to skin after. I didn't give one flying fuck who saw me naked at that point.

I had 2 c-sections and a spinal both times. Couldn't feel my legs at all. The worst part for me, and I know this sounds odd, is when they transferred me from the OR table into the bed, the doctors/nurses lifted me with the sheet and moved me and I was 100% sure they would drop me. It was a very odd sensation.

2 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Epidural birth here- either worked too well or they overdosed me. I was numb almost up to my shoulders. Tanked my blood pressure and I passed out several times. They shut it off probably within an hour of turning it on and I still couldn't feel my legs until a couple hours after birth. 

I didn't wear the hospital gown. They handed it to me and told me to get undressed but I just wore a black skirt and a black nursing bra. Nurses didn't object and the doctor thought I was cute lol. I can't remember when I lost the skirt but doc made me take off the bra while pushing(after 20 hours of labor) so I could do skin to skin after. I didn't give one flying fuck who saw me naked at that point.

If you were numb to your shoulders for a vaginal birth, then your dose was too high.  I’ve had two epidurals, and I could feel my legs both times.  They did turn up the dose on my first for the unplanned c-section, and I had to ask them to turn it down a smidge when I struggled to breathe.  That’s probably why you passed out.

3 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I had 2 c-sections and a spinal both times. Couldn't feel my legs at all. The worst part for me, and I know this sounds odd, is when they transferred me from the OR table into the bed, the doctors/nurses lifted me with the sheet and moved me and I was 100% sure they would drop me. It was a very odd sensation.

I also felt like they were going to drop me and I wasn't going to be able to brace myself or do anything about it. It's definitely a weird feeling.

Had an epidural for my first c-section, and a spinal for my second. I was so tired from being in labor the first time, I don't remember feeling anything but exhaustion until they finally showed me my baby. With the spinal they warned me it might feel like I couldn't breathe and to let them know. It was weird to be able to feel the doctor doing stuff to me, just no pain.

The worst part about the stupid spinal was getting it placed, the anesthesiologist said my spine is slightly curved and had to try like ten times to get it in the right spot. Every time he tried a different spot he had to give me the numbing shot again, which felt like getting stung by a bee followed by burning. It sucked.

Also, the hospital gowns at my hospital actually button to the side, so your bare ass doesn't have to hang out. Although like most of you said, it usually comes to a point where you don't care who sees your goodies!

4 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I had to have a spinal when I was in a car accident and dislocated my hip. And that being moved to a different table thing with the sheet is weeeeeeird. I do not like that sensation at all. You are convinced they'll drop you because you're grown person sized and it's a SHEET for crying out loud. the. worst.

I definitly felt the baby coming out. He has a huge head (just like his dad, thanks Mr Way) and was facing the wrong way. That part was still the easiest part of the delivery though because I knew it would actually be over soon. After 53 hours I was pretty sure he had decided to stay in there forever. 

I had spinals for both c sections. It was such a strange feeling. I remember the anaesthetist asking me if I could move my feet. I tried to but had no idea if they were actually moving or not! I think I answered something like, "You tell me". 

I was very happy both times when the drugs wore off and I could move my legs again. I hated that feeling. 

10 minutes ago, emmeline said:

I was very happy both times when the drugs wore off and I could move my legs again. I hated that feeling. 

I hated that feeling, too. I had a spinal block when I got my tubes tied. (It was the day after I gave birth to our second baby and I wanted to be able to breastfeed again as soon as possible.)

The surgery didn't really bother me (lovely sedative), being cold and having my blood pressure drop low in the recovery room wasn't that bad, but it really bothered me not being able to move my feet, or even wiggle my toes. It started bothering me enough that I pretty much tried to force myself to not even try to move them, because I kept trying every few seconds, and not getting any response was freaking me out.

I'm still glad I had my tubes tied and I'm not sorry I had the spinal block. I just really hated that feeling.

I never realized that getting your tubes tied involved surgery! I mean, it makes sense...I guess I just never thought about it!!!

19 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

I never realized that getting your tubes tied involved surgery! I mean, it makes sense...I guess I just never thought about it!!!

It was a pretty fast surgery, but definitely surgery. :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived