IGNORED

Questions about becoming Catholic

99bottlesofPlexus

If things were up to me only I would probably live a much more Christian life than I live now. However, I am not single and I have children and a husband to take into consideration. I could leave them and go out to serve the poor or live in seclusion in prayer but that would not be very loving or caring towards them so I am choosing another way. I am quite a lot more religious than my husband and I am more active in the church but my life is very much like "everone else's". I would love to work less and do more for others and pray more but this isn't going to happen now with the life I have. Instead I take care of the moments I do get and cherish that. As I my kids grow older I may opt to join Third Order of St Francis (the Anglican/Protestant branch) or a ecumenical society in my country with similar vows but a broader spectrum of believers. What is stopping me now? Both require a promise to partake in retreats and preferably in retreats by their group and with two young kids it would be hard for me to vow to to do so every year. In a couple of years however that would not be as problematic and then I will probably go ahead once I have figured out which one will suit me better.

I also want to become a minister or more involved in the church in other ways but that is even less likely to happen at this time so I am leaving this to god and for me to pray for a solution to. I have fulfilled the requirements of being involved in the church and I am in the process of getting myself confirmed which I wasn't as a child. Once that is done I have eliminated the formal obstacles for me to become a minister. Then it is up to me, god and my family if I should go for it or seek other ways to involve myself in the church beyond my present arrangements. Maybe that will be enough for me but I don't know right now. 

If you truly feel that the Catholic Church is calling for you, pray and seek god. Trust that god will guide you and help you with your path but perhaps not the way you want him to help you when you look at things from your perspective. If god is asking you to do this he will also provide ways for you to do so. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/16/2018 at 2:43 AM, elliha said:

Both require a promise to partake in retreats and preferably in retreats by their group and with two young kids it would be hard for me to vow to to do so every yea

I think you'er on a wonderful journey! Where I'm at there are family focused and family friendly retreats. The family friendly retreats provide childcare so adults can tend to their spiritual needs, but also have sessions or activities designed for families running concurrently. They're not Order specific and don't require vows, but might be worth looking into until you can make that vow.

5 hours ago, cascarones said:

I think you'er on a wonderful journey! Where I'm at there are family focused and family friendly retreats. The family friendly retreats provide childcare so adults can tend to their spiritual needs, but also have sessions or activities designed for families running concurrently. They're not Order specific and don't require vows, but might be worth looking into until you can make that vow.

Unfortunately in my country most retreats are for adults only and I only really know of one that is for the whole family and that is more of a communal family holiday with religious elements than a full on retreat. However, my kids are getting old enough to be left with their father now so retreats are soon going to be a possible choice for me. It is a season of life thing and my most intense season of having young children is likely over soon as my son is 2.5 now and my daughter is 6.5. We don't plan on more children but god is the master of everyone's destiny.

Archived