• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Georgiana

ZZ and PP: Feeding her Readers a Formula of Lies

OhNoNike

That curriculum is way behind the curriculum in our public school district.  I noticed in one of the spelling books for 3rd grade that it consisted of things my daughter learned last year in 1st grade.  I know not every kid is a master in all subjects, so I don’t want to sound like all kids must be the same, but in general it seems from what she’s shown and what she’s said in the past (re: algebra) that the curriculum isn’t really up to the same standards as public schools (and I assume most private institutions as well). 

Science is a sticking point for me - she has already said before that she doesn’t do expiraments because it’s fun and all, but that’s really the only thing it’s good for.  

OhNoNike

@calvinball I agree with you.  The funny thing is that the publisher already breaks it into fairly even chunks and color codes the sections and everything.  She’s so full of herself that it’s not good enough to have two 8 page sections and a 10 page section.  She must have them equal.  This is so weird. Nothing is that cut and dry in the real world.  Chapters and learning should be topical and not restrained by page numbers.  Books aren’t cut into equal numbers of pages per chapter... it’s really odd. 

Terrie

In third grade, we did the thing where you design something to cushion an egg that's dropped off a ladder. Each round, going higher and higher until there's a "winner." And then you keep going, because everyone wants to see how high it can go.

My cousin posted about his oldest's upcoming classes. She's taking calculus. In the 10th grade. Made me think of Zsu patting herself on the back because only the top students do precalc in high school. Now, this girl LOVES math, so she's ahead of most of her grade, but she's not the only 10th grader in the class. There are a couple others. The rest of the class is 50/50 11 and 12th grade.

JermajestyDuggar

It’s pretty amazing that so many quiverful fundies brag endlessly on how much better a homeschool education is compared to a public school education. And almost every single time we find their homeschooling to be sub par and mediocre. I honestly think many of these families could have done a somewhat decent job of educating their children if they 1) weren’t quiverful and only had the amount of children they could handle and 2) weren’t using shitastic fundie homeschooling materials. 

JermajestyDuggar

I also want to add that I HATE when fundies use stats on homeschooling to prove their point. I can pretty much guarantee the majority of those positive stats come from homeschool families nothing like them. They are the homeschoolers with an amount of children they can handle and parents who don’t use garbage schooling material. 

Alisamer
15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s pretty amazing that so many quiverful fundies brag endlessly on how much better a homeschool education is compared to a public school education. And almost every single time we find their homeschooling to be sub par and mediocre. I honestly think many of these families could have done a somewhat decent job of educating their children if they 1) weren’t quiverful and only had the amount of children they could handle and 2) weren’t using shitastic fundie homeschooling materials. 

I agree. If I'd had kids I would have hoped to homeschool them, but not with crappy fundie materials. With one or two kids, you can focus on their interests, do lots of activities, go lots of places, get tons of learning done in a fun way. Zsu is past the point of overwhelmed, I think, so it's sit down, shut up, check off pages and count that as done. Then go feed your brother his formula.

JermajestyDuggar
26 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I agree. If I'd had kids I would have hoped to homeschool them, but not with crappy fundie materials. With one or two kids, you can focus on their interests, do lots of activities, go lots of places, get tons of learning done in a fun way. Zsu is past the point of overwhelmed, I think, so it's sit down, shut up, check off pages and count that as done. Then go feed your brother his formula.

And graduate at 16 so you can get a full time job and support yourself. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

Hisey
11 hours ago, Terrie said:

In third grade, we did the thing where you design something to cushion an egg that's dropped off a ladder. Each round, going higher and higher until there's a "winner." And then you keep going, because everyone wants to see how high it can go.

My cousin posted about his oldest's upcoming classes. She's taking calculus. In the 10th grade. Made me think of Zsu patting herself on the back because only the top students do precalc in high school. Now, this girl LOVES math, so she's ahead of most of her grade, but she's not the only 10th grader in the class. There are a couple others. The rest of the class is 50/50 11 and 12th grade.

That's pretty good! My oldest took Calc AB as a junior. She took the second year  (Calc BC) as a senior, but there were sophomores in her class.

So at our public school there were 15-year olds doing their second year of calculus (generally considered the hardest math class in high school), at an age when Solomon was doing Algebra 2 (therefore, about 3 years behind).

ZZ is so clueless. She doesn't even know what to brag about!  Like little Chloe with the legos. . . lots of toddlers can do things like that. It makes me wonder how often ZZ talks to other parents. It might give her a reality check if she did.

calvinball
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Terrie said:

The egg drop! I did that experiment every few years up through high school. It's a project that's super versatile because a) it's fun and involves creativity and b) you can tailor the "sophistication" of the egg drop vehicles to the age of the student. When I was in elementary school, I had no problem just surrounding my egg with lots and lots and lots of cotton and making a parachute lol. But in 11th grade physics, my teacher made us do the project but wouldn't let us make parachutes or just surround the egg with soft material, and he took off a point for every gram the contraption weighed. If your egg broke - we dropped them from the top of the bleachers - you lost 30 points! I'm pleased to say that my contraption ended up the lightest in the class at 8 or 9 grams (it was literally two sheets of paper wrapped together to make a spinning cone) AND my egg didn't break. :D

One student made a really clever design that made the egg float gently down to the ground (so sort of worked in the same vein as a parachute, but it wasn't really, so it was allowed)...but it weighed 30 grams! Bro succeeded at getting his egg safely to the ground just to get a C- at best. 

Uh... to make this more on topic... I wonder if Zsu ever had her kids do projects like this. I still remember a blog post where she had John do an experiment testing ph levels. Obviously those days are long gone. I feel so bad for those kids. Science experiments are FUN. I'll be honest, I hated physics class except when we were doing these experiments. 

Edited by calvinball

Terrie
12 hours ago, Hisey said:

So at our public school there were 15-year olds doing their second year of calculus (generally considered the hardest math class in high school), at an age when Solomon was doing Algebra 2 (therefore, about 3 years behind).

My state, 3 years of math, one of which must be Algebra 2, is the graduation requirement for math. Looks like AZ is the same. Now, homeschooling is classified as a private school, so they can set their own graduation requirements, but the state requirements are generally based on what you need to get into college or vocational school. Not a good one, mind you, any school. Almost every guidance counselor out there will immediately start adding on more (a 4th year of math, arts, music, etc) if you want to go to a good college. Most accredited private schools follow state requirements.

Zsu thinks sh'es impressive because she does slightly more than the bare minimum. 

nomoxian
10 hours ago, calvinball said:

If your egg broke - we dropped them from the top of the bleachers - you lost 30 points!

If that was 30 out of 100 I would have just thrown the egg off the bleachers. 70% is more than enough for 0% effort.

Satisfied
keen23
On 8/16/2018 at 6:27 AM, Terrie said:

Hollow out an egg size space in the middle of two dry car sponges. Sandwich the egg between them, duct tape shut. Doesn't weigh a lot, can protect the egg quite a bit.

Alisamer

Somehow I never had to do the egg experiment. But I remember some other people doing it. One guy had some complicated contraption involving toothpicks and rubber bands. I have no idea if it worked at all. 

I'm betting by the time Chloe is in high school, homeschooling will have long since gone out the window, especially if they have more kids. Zsu is past her breaking point, has switched to formula for the baby... I wouldn't be surprised if the next step is setting up some church school for her kids to be taught by someone else, followed by a christian school, followed by public school. They're living in a powder keg, with all the hate and so many people. Of all the people we follow here, I think they're the most likely to have some major disaster in the next few years. It might be something major like PP getting arrested, or it might be something much smaller, but the last straw is likely to be coming for them.

Terrie
12 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the next step is setting up some church school for her kids to be taught by someone else, followed by a christian school, followed by public school.

Public school would require her to get the kids up, presentable and out the door in a timely manner. She's just going to stop checking that they're doing their PACEs. 

JermajestyDuggar

I think Zoo will eventually “hire” one of her parishioners to tutor the children so she doesn’t have to. Or she will just make Miriam be the teacher until her youngest graduates high school at 16.

Jana814
2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Zoo will eventually “hire” one of her parishioners to tutor the children so she doesn’t have to. Or she will just make Miriam be the teacher until her youngest graduates high school at 16.

I can totally see her doing either one of these. 

SoSoNosy

On a FB page, Zsu proclaims that her kids "have been taking Uber for years".  More disposable money.

Waffle Time
Lisafer
On 8/17/2018 at 11:55 AM, nomoxian said:

If that was 30 out of 100 I would have just thrown the egg off the bleachers. 70% is more than enough for 0% effort.

I admire your ability to think outside the box. Your solution seems eminently practical to me. :laughing-rollingred:

Terrie
11 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

On a FB page, Zsu proclaims that her kids "have been taking Uber for years".  More disposable money.

Which post? I'm looking but not seeing.

JermajestyDuggar
12 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

How old were they when they were traveling via Uber? Like is she sending her 12 year old out in an Uber? But her toddlers can’t be watched by a nursery worker for an hour?

SoSoNosy

That was just a cryptic comment she made, so I don't know which kids she was talking about.  It was on a mutual friend's FB page, and I don't know how the friend has her privacy settings.  I can try to do a c/p if you want.

countressrascal

Zsu is full of sh*t regarding her children taking UBER-you can't take UBER unless you are 18 or traveling with someone over 18. Plus you must have a smart phone & credit card, she once said that her children would not have a smart phone until they were married because they could have access to internet and view sites that were not appropriate. Either they are traveling with PP or lying to UBER about their ages. Come clean regarding your lies. What is the next lie she is going to tell her leg humpers? It will be about how well her children are prepared to be adults than ebil public school students. Waiting for that one.

SoSoNosy

That is pretty much what everybody told her, on the friend's page.  Nobody seemed to believe her.

Tatar-tot

My boys have been riding Uber when they were HS.  I loved it.  I knew who was picking them up and I could track the car on the app.  

OhNoNike

In other news - it looks like Second Sunday Amanda’s blog is gone. Her FB still appears to be active though.