IGNORED

Border Patrol Disasters

candygirl200413

Color me not surprised that the originator of this heinous policy of separation is alpha noxious turd Obersturmbannführer Stephen Miller. 

The possible next step is to set up more concentration/internment tent camps on military bases.  Two bases in Texas are being evaluated and more across the US.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 7

On 16 June 2018 at 7:08 AM, AmazonGrace said:

So you thought you could take the bus 

I guess they don't want tourist money

This is sadly akin to Germany in the 1930s.  Right wing fascism is rising slowly from the ashes. If America and the western world don't sit up, take proper notice then DO something to prevent it, it will happen again. Hitler was seen as an odd little man of no consequence. Until he wasn't. Trump is seen as a blustering idiot (he is) but because he is so thick and self-centered he is a perfect puppet to be used by brighter evil people and will do their bidding just to be liked and famous. 

Things will worsen if he isn't stopped. 

My family will not be ski-Ing in Vail this year. Hello Canada here we come!!!

• Upvote 10

Compare and contrast Melania's statement (issued through her spokesperson) and the op-ed written by Laura Bush.

"Melania Trump weighs in on her husband’s cruel policy. Where are you, Ivanka?"

Spoiler

Melania Trump, the most reticent first lady since Pat Nixon, has done an admirable thing. She has lent her voice to those who oppose the Trump administration’s heinous policy of separating migrant children from their parents.

The statement issued through her spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham, cautious as it is, bears careful reading:

“Mrs. Trump hates to see children separated from their families and hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform. She believes we need to be a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart.”

The initial reaction from many of her husband’s critics, no surprise, is that this is far too little. Social media is awash with the word “complicit.”

But the last sentence in particular is a stark — and, yes, I’ll say it, brave — rejection of her husband’s repeated efforts to shift the blame for this to anyone else. While he continues to lie by saying that Democrats are at fault, Melania Trump’s Father’s Day statement emphasizes the fact that laws are always applied with discretion and that we can be both a law-abiding country and one that “governs with heart.”

Compare that to Attorney General Jeff Sessions, with his twisted assertion that the administration’s “zero tolerance” policy is somehow biblically mandated. (Sessions, a Methodist, has since been schooled by his own church leadership, whose general secretary wrote: “To argue that these policies are consistent with Christian teaching is unsound, a flawed interpretation, and a shocking violation of the spirit of the Gospel.”)

Or hold Melania Trump’s statement against the candid acknowledgment to the New York Times by Trump senior policy adviser Stephen Miller that the approach was “a simple decision by the administration to have a zero tolerance policy for illegal entry, period.”

Then there is her assertion that any solution on immigration should be bipartisan, which stands in contrast with the current strategy in the House, which is to forge legislation that can pass on Republican votes alone.

The first lady’s decision to step into the debate makes the silence of another Trump family member all the more telling. Where is Ivanka Trump, who is actually an official adviser to her father — and the one who claims that family issues are her portfolio?

All those photos of crying children don’t look so great on Instagram. Still, Ivanka, there is time to step up. You can do it. Be best.

"Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border ‘breaks my heart’"

Spoiler

Laura Bush is a former first lady of the United States.

On Sunday, a day we as a nation set aside to honor fathers and the bonds of family, I was among the millions of Americans who watched images of children who have been torn from their parents. In the six weeks between April 19 and May 31, the Department of Homeland Security has sent nearly 2,000 children to mass detention centers or foster care. More than 100 of these children are younger than 4 years old. The reason for these separations is a zero-tolerance policy for their parents, who are accused of illegally crossing our borders.

I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart.

Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso. These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history. We also know that this treatment inflicts trauma; interned Japanese have been two times as likely to suffer cardiovascular disease or die prematurely than those who were not interned.

Americans pride ourselves on being a moral nation, on being the nation that sends humanitarian relief to places devastated by natural disasters or famine or war. We pride ourselves on believing that people should be seen for the content of their character, not the color of their skin. We pride ourselves on acceptance. If we are truly that country, then it is our obligation to reunite these detained children with their parents — and to stop separating parents and children in the first place.

People on all sides agree that our immigration system isn’t working, but the injustice of zero tolerance is not the answer. I moved away from Washington almost a decade ago, but I know there are good people at all levels of government who can do better to fix this.

Recently, Colleen Kraft, who heads the American Academy of Pediatrics, visited a shelter run by the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement. She reported that while there were beds, toys, crayons, a playground and diaper changes, the people working at the shelter had been instructed not to pick up or touch the children to comfort them. Imagine not being able to pick up a child who is not yet out of diapers.

Twenty-nine years ago, my mother-in-law, Barbara Bush, visited Grandma’s House, a home for children with HIV/AIDS in Washington. Back then, at the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis, the disease was a death sentence, and most babies born with it were considered “untouchables.” During her visit, Barbara — who was the first lady at the time — picked up a fussy, dying baby named Donovan and snuggled him against her shoulder to soothe him. My mother-in-law never viewed her embrace of that fragile child as courageous. She simply saw it as the right thing to do in a world that can be arbitrary, unkind and even cruel. She, who after the death of her 3-year-old daughter knew what it was to lose a child, believed that every child is deserving of human kindness, compassion and love.

In 2018, can we not as a nation find a kinder, more compassionate and more moral answer to this current crisis? I, for one, believe we can.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

This has truly destroyed me as a christian and as a human. I agree @Gobsmacked, I've gotten to meet/know holocaust survivors in my area and they've all had similar thoughts. This is how it truly all started. 

I heard with the senate bill now that every democrat is on board except Manchin (who is now saying he'll support orange fuckface for 2020 so he's basically lost).

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 5

39 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

They put children in cages but they're afraid of words.

Most people treat their animals significantly better than the way these children are being treated.

• Sad 1
  • I Agree 6

This is from a former strategist to both McCain and Kasich:

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I'm sure Dumpy will have a hissy fit about this:

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Kidnapper in chief is demanding ransom: he promises he maybe won't have to hurt the hostages if he gets all he wants

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 6

Today I heard on the Dutch radio that our Cabinet (with the full backing of the opposition) is going to take your administration task for this inhumane policy of separating children from their parents.

I don't think the administration will care all that much about what the Netherlands think, though.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

• GreyhoundFan locked, unlocked and locked this topic