IGNORED

#MeToo goes to church

47of74

The SBC may finally have to face some of the music

The Southern Baptist Convention, the country's largest evangelical denomination, is headed for a showdown over its treatment of women that could not only have far-reaching ramifications for the church but also influence the broader secular #MeToo movement.

At its annual meeting next week in Dallas, delegates called "messengers" will decide whether to approve a resolution acknowledging that, throughout the church's history, male leaders and members of the church "wronged women, abused women, silenced women, objectified women."

"The #MeToo moment has come to American evangelicals," Albert Mohler, president of the flagship Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, wrote last month. "And I am called to deal with it as a Christian, as a minister of the Gospel, as a seminary and college president, and as a public leader."

The convention is meeting in the wake of several widely publicized scandals in which prominent Southern Baptist leaders have been accused of or have admitted inappropriate behavior toward women.

I've still got a bad taste in my mouth from the time when Mr. Cartmann99 taught at a place that was loosely affiliated with the SBC, so I'm expecting them to just slap some pretty bandaids over this issue and be done with it.

For the sake of the women and children who remain, I hope to be proven wrong.

Acknowledging mistreatment of women by men in the church? Equality for women? It's this biblical?  Is this even constitutional? This must be along the same lines as providing cakes for gay weddings. If white men aren't safe in the SBC... the world is surely going to hell in a hand basket! 

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

I've still got a bad taste in my mouth from the time when Mr. Cartmann99 taught at a place that was loosely affiliated with the SBC, so I'm expecting them to just slap some pretty bandaids over this issue and be done with it.

For the sake of the women and children who remain, I hope to be proven wrong.

I'm on the same page as you are.  I don't expect much, if any change. But I sincerely hope that I am wrong! It's not going to be easy or quick, if it does happen.  But the submissive wife theology is so entrenched in the SBC now. It's going to be pretty hard to get it out.

And once again, the SBC will be shamed by the secular media into issuing a half-assed statement while changing absolutely nothing. This is shades of their weak, watered down, bullshit anti-racism statement from a couple of summers ago. I really can't stand this organization and wish it would collapse already. 

Pence is going to be there:

Pence will speak at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center at 11 a.m., near the end of the morning session of worship and reports.

"We are excited to announce Vice President Mike Pence will be attending this year's SBC annual meeting to express appreciation to Southern Baptists for the contributions we make to the moral fabric of our nation," SBC president Steve Gaines said in a statement.

Doors will open at 5:30 a.m. Wednesday with increased security for SBC delegates — or "messengers" — and guests. SBC officials expect as many as 11,000 messengers at the meeting Wednesday. Doors will close at 10 a.m., in time for the convention sermon, a high-profile speech that was a point of controversy in recent weeks. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/faith/2018/06/11/pence-visit-dallas-speech-southern-baptist-convention-meeting

I was reading an article about Mike Pence speaking at the SBC, and came across this:

Along the way, one woman who described herself as a pastor’s widow from Shreveport, La., made an emotional comment voicing something many here had expressed — discomfort with the national reckoning on the treatment of women that has made its way into the Southern Baptist Convention. “I think we’ve gotten swept into the hashtag #MeToo. And I am not a ‘me too.’ And I talked to several of the church ladies before I came,” she said. “None of them said that they felt they were less than or abused or assaulted. I believe that is a very small minority. . . . I don’t think it’s our Southern Baptist culture. I’m not scared to walk down the hallways of my church, that I’m going to be accosted or looked down on.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/06/13/vice-president-pence-speaks-to-the-southern-baptist-convention-our-administration-will-always-stand-with-you/?utm_term=.74f8f32b2336

Well, I talked to my friends and none of them had ever had a problem, so can we just pretend that everything's fine? :angry-cussingblack:

14 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I was reading an article about Mike Pence speaking at the SBC, and came across this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/06/13/vice-president-pence-speaks-to-the-southern-baptist-convention-our-administration-will-always-stand-with-you/?utm_term=.74f8f32b2336

Well, I talked to my friends and none of them had ever had a problem, so can we just pretend that everything's fine? :angry-cussingblack:

Right, you know Mike Pence is definitely someone women would feel confident in confiding in if those problems were true right? Its not like he finds every excuse to spend at Focus on the Family, or administration supported Roy Moore, or he works with someone with who has boasted his crappy treatment of women or is the same man who makes his wife go everywhere with him so he doesn't end up alone with a women.  Yep, he is definitely someone who knows and can recognize that problem.    

Archived