IGNORED

Abusive messages show dark side of 'Star Wars' fandom

47of74

Douche cannons in action once again

The dark side of "Star Wars" fandom recently reared its head when Kelly Marie Tran, the actress who plays Rose Tico in "Star Wars: The Last Jedi," was run off Instagram by misogynistic and racist messages from fans who didn't like her character in the movie.

The episode was not an uncommon one. Daisy Ridley, who stars as the heroine Rey, quit social media last year for similar reasons. They are far from the first women to be hounded by bitter, mostly male fans who didn't approve of their entry into a fictional pop-culture world that some fans feel a misguided sense of ownership of.

Such toxic abuse has long been a staple of darker social-media realms, fan-group message boards and internet comments pages. Obsession — loving or poisonous — has helped fuel the most dedicated fan bases, whose fervor is craved and cultivated by billion-dollar brands. But the scorn heaped on Tran — a 29-year-old newcomer who has been overjoyed at her induction into "Star Wars" — sparked a backlash of its own.

"What's not to love?" asked Mark Hamill, aka Luke Skywalker, with a photo of himself and Tran and the hashtag "GetALifeNerds."

toxic fandom is always so sad when it rears its ugly head. i thought the writing in "the last jedi" was particularly weak and somewhat disappointing, but her character was one of the brighter points and i loved her. i hope she receives all the support she needs, bullying is difficult to deal with.

Ugh, that is vile.

I find it interesting how often male and female fans approach fandom in different ways - I think I read an article about this ages ago but I'm not able to find it now - but it pointed out that it is most often men who appoint themselves sort-of "protectors" of the fandom canon. That it is most often men who are mint-in-box toy collectors, completists, sticking fairly strictly to what is official and published, even in their own fan art. Women are more likely to be the fanfic writers and artists, playing with the toys, creating fandom-related items on Etsy, etc. Women, especially in fandoms with little existing female representation, are more likely to adapt and interpret and play with the characters in fiction and art, while men are much less likely to do so. 

I know there are people of all genders who are snobby about their fandoms, but it does seem to be male fans attacking female fans (or actresses who dare to "add to" their precious canon) more often than not when something like this happens.

These are the same guys who complain that girls won't date them, but refuse to date any girl who doesn't look like a Victoria's Secret model. Nasty, self-absorbed, pathetic and cruel. 

10 minutes ago, Terrie said:

These are the same guys who complain that girls won't date them, but refuse to date any girl who doesn't look like a Victoria's Secret model. Nasty, self-absorbed, pathetic and cruel. 

They are the Incels. They are all over the internet these days in varying levels. 

Archived