IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 60: The Shilling Dillards

Jellybean

My fun guess for Mike Pence's sex kink: latex, just because it's both expensive and easy.

That said, I think he's just a plain 'ol run-of-the-mill cheater. He was probably counting on eventually pleading sex addition and is now shaking in his boots over how less likely people are to swallow to bullshit. I just honestly raise a huge eyebrow at anyone who actually cares about the Billy Graham rule.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, karen77 said:

My coworker is one of those engineers. I'm like, what the eff does this say???? Mine is ok (fellow engineer). 

I do that at my own handwriting regularly. I’m so sloppy when I’m taking notes. I just write the first letter in the word with a squiggly line after it. Makes no sense at all. 

6 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I do that at my own handwriting regularly. I’m so sloppy when I’m taking notes. I just write the first letter in the word with a squiggly line after it. Makes no sense at all. 

I worked for a veterinarian with handwriting like that. "Hey doc? What did you write on this chart yesterday? I can't read it."  "Yeah, no idea. I can't read it either." I hope for his sake he can take notes on a laptop these days. :pb_rollseyes:

Jill posted a couple recipes again and I just... what did chicken ever do to her to make her use it so horribly in the name of cooking? Here's a "recipe" using chicken that I'm going to share to try to offset some ridiculousness.

Take some boneless skinless chicken breast meat, it doesn't matter if you bought it that way or if you prepared it from a whole chicken at home, you just need some white meat. Cut it up into pieces about the size of a domino, this is not exact science just make smallish pieces that will cook quickly. For every chicken breast slice up one medium onion, either tiny pieces or stringy stirfry-esque sized. Heat some butter in a frying pan big enough for all the chicken and onions and use real butter. It's worth the money. Trust me. Put the chicken and onions and maybe some black pepper in the buttered pan and fry until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the onions start to caramelize. Add a little salt or soy sauce to taste and serve with rice, vegetables or whatever you want because chicken and onions made like that is delicious with anything.

There. Am I a food blogger yet? Maybe it needs some stolen photos...

Honestly Jill's recipes are really hit or miss for me. Either it's something really tasty looking or insipid, pale comfort food with no seasoning made to feed too many kids- which makes sense for her to make, it's what she's used to, and TLC isn't footing the bill anymore. The recipe she has for Nepalese momos sounds delicious, though I have no idea how authentic it is. Same for the carne asada tacos. I like anything that calls for cumin in the tablespoons.

That spaghetti pie, though. That is right out of 1960s hell, meant to be served alongside a delightful jello salad and some kind of canned meat on a stick.

ETA: There's a disclaimer at the bottom of the recipes saying "Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites." I'd bet my left kidney that the tasty sounding recipes with pretty pictures are the "adapted" ones taken from other sites, while the rather bland ones with unflattering photography are 100% Jill.

Who knows if she makes any of these regularly, or is just integrating Nepalese/Central American dishes on her website in reference to her or Mr. Jill's "missions."

13 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm reminded of this scene:

This show NEVER gets old!! I laugh every single time I watch it!! Michael Scott for president!!!!!

8 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Honestly Jill's recipes are really hit or miss for me. Either it's something really tasty looking or insipid, pale comfort food with no seasoning made to feed too many kids- which makes sense for her to make, it's what she's used to, and TLC isn't footing the bill anymore. The recipe she has for Nepalese momos sounds delicious, though I have no idea how authentic it is. Same for the carne asada tacos. I like anything that calls for cumin in the tablespoons.

<snip snip>

ETA: There's a disclaimer at the bottom of the recipes saying "Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites." I'd bet my left kidney that the tasty sounding recipes with pretty pictures are the "adapted" ones taken from other sites, while the rather bland ones with unflattering photography are 100% Jill.

Exactly -- note the disclaimers.  Those Nepalese momos and their chutney recipes come from other sites. They caught my eye immediately because cute little dumplings are always time-consuming to create. Her pupusa recipe comes from "theflamingvegan.com." Pretty much all the cute pix and interesting recipes come from other sites (hope they got permission to share all that intellectual property), whereas the weird and bland recipes seem to come from the Duggar/Dullard homes.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:26 PM, NakedKnees said:

My fun guess for Mike Pence's sex kink: latex, just because it's both expensive and easy.

That said, I think he's just a plain 'ol run-of-the-mill cheater. He was probably counting on eventually pleading sex addition and is now shaking in his boots over how less likely people are to swallow to bullshit. I just honestly raise a huge eyebrow at anyone who actually cares about the Billy Graham rule.

The thing about the Billy Graham Rule is that people act like it makes a guy so noble and virtuous, but if you just treated women with whom you have a platonic/professional relationship with respect (and no, respect is not a cartoonishly deferential, condescending attitude, it's treating someone in a way that says "I value what you do and what you have to say"), no one would suspect you of having a sexual relationship with her if that wasn't the case. If you're worried that people will think that you're banging (or let's be real, sexually harassing or assaulting) every woman you're alone with, maybe you need to stop being such a creep and giving off that vibe or, ya know, actually doing that shit. 

58 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The thing about the Billy Graham Rule is that people act like it makes a guy so noble and virtuous, but if you just treated women with whom you have a platonic/professional relationship with respect (and no, respect is not a cartoonishly deferential, condescending attitude, it's treating someone in a way that says "I value what you do and what you have to say"), no one would suspect you of having a sexual relationship with her if that wasn't the case. If you're worried that people will think that you're banging (or let's be real, sexually harassing or assaulting) every woman you're alone with, maybe you need to stop being such a creep and giving off that vibe or, ya know, actually doing that shit. 

My church talks about the Billy Graham rule like it’s a good thing. I’m very progressive and they all know this, so I roll my eyes a lot. But one thing that really bothers me is when I have a theology question for a man who has been in seminary, I’m told to cc his wife. I’m literally asking about the history of the Bible. That is ALL, my dude. Then the pastors wife heard and was like yeah, do that when you email my husband too. Seriously? I’ve known you since I was eleven. You didn’t go to seminary. You can’t answer my questions. And I know. I could go to another church. I’ve tried, but as a single twenty something coming in it’s very isolating. Most people my age are married with kids or at least want them. I’m divorced and have no desire for children. So instead I take the bad with the good at a more conservative church where the people have known me forever and accept who I am, even if we disagree on certain topics. 

I just had to google what the Billy Graham Rule is.  You learn something every day on FJ! 

As a woman in a heavily male-dominated field, this shit pisses me off to no end. Even without explicitly following this rule, so many men will network/socialize with their male colleagues and never invite the few female ones, who then miss out on opportunities for collaboration/mentorship/etc. 

It's ridiculous that actual gender discrimination is seen to be an okay price to pay for avoiding the appearance of "impropriety." 

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I just had to google what the Billy Graham Rule is.  You learn something every day on FJ! 

As a woman in a heavily male-dominated field, this shit pisses me off to no end. Even without explicitly following this rule, so many men will network/socialize with their male colleagues and never invite the few female ones, who then miss out on opportunities for collaboration/mentorship/etc. 

It's ridiculous that actual gender discrimination is seen to be an okay price to pay for avoiding the appearance of "impropriety." 

I feel like a lot of it has to do with their wife if they're married and not being seen out with other women. I'm sure there's quite a few women in the world who would take up issue with it.

10 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

I feel like a lot of it has to do with their wife if they're married and not being seen out with other women. I'm sure there's quite a few women in the world who would take up issue with it.

I think it's really weird and gross that it basically shoves all women into 'potential sex partner' category. It cultivates the same idea that women are primarily for sex as guys complaining about friend-zoning. Rape culture through and through. Women buy into this and perpetuate it too, but that doesn't make it okay. 

If men really want to be committed to not being alone with other women besides their wives, and so aren't willing to ever be alone with a female colleague, the only way to be fair about it is to make sure they're never alone with a male colleague either. If they find that inconvenient, it just gives them a small taste of what women have to deal with in the workplace when men refuse to meet with them in an equitable way.  

It also assumes that men will always be in a position of power over women and able to choose the conditions of their meetings.  My fiancé's boss is a woman.  If she calls him into her office because she wants to talk to him about something what is he supposed to do in this case?  Just refuse? 

5 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

OK, maybe I don't hang out with the right sort of women, but if my boyfriend went out to dinner or a beer with a female friend or colleague, I'd trust him and probably tell him to go have a good time, because I know based on how he treats me and our mutual female friends, he is capable of seeing women as equals with whom he can be friends, just the same as with men. I go out for drinks with my male friends all the goddamn time and somehow don't end up jumping their bones. This attitude of "YOU LOOKED AT SOMEONE OF THE OPPOSITE SEX THAT MUST MEAN YOU WANT TO FUCK THEM" is frankly some fifth grade shit. 

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I think it's really weird and gross that it basically shoves all women into 'potential sex partner' category. It cultivates the same idea that women are primarily for sex as guys complaining about friend-zoning. Rape culture through and through. Women buy into this and perpetuate it too, but that doesn't make it okay. 

If men really want to be committed to not being alone with other women besides their wives, and so aren't willing to ever be alone with a female colleague, the only way to be fair about it is to make sure they're never alone with a male colleague either. If they find that inconvenient, it just gives them a small taste of what women have to deal with in the workplace when men refuse to meet with them in an equitable way.  

It also assumes that men will always be in a position of power over women and able to choose the conditions of their meetings.  My fiancé's boss is a woman.  If she calls him into her office because she wants to talk to him about something what is he supposed to do in this case?  Just refuse? 

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

OK, maybe I don't hang out with the right sort of women, but if my boyfriend went out to dinner or a beer with a female friend or colleague, I'd trust him and probably tell him to go have a good time, because I know based on how he treats me and our mutual female friends, he is capable of seeing women as equals with whom he can be friends, just the same as with men. I go out for drinks with my male friends all the goddamn time and somehow don't end up jumping their bones. This attitude of "YOU LOOKED AT SOMEONE OF THE OPPOSITE SEX THAT MUST MEAN YOU WANT TO FUCK THEM" is frankly some fifth grade shit. 

Y'all.... I'm not saying it's right I'm just saying I know a lot of jealous women and i could see how that plays into it. 

So when it comes to this rule, are they saying we don't trust men to be with women that they aren't married at because they're horrible (the men are) or that because they are women not married to you you'll be distracted. Cause either way it's saying that Men can't be trusted which is really sad.

Why aren't men more angry about that rule honestly? Do they not realize they're being accused of rape any time they're alone with a woman?

I know the recent discussion hasn't been about Jill's cooking posts, but it occurred to me that Jill writes like cooks on TV cooking shows talk.  They may talk like that on their shows, but they don't write their recipes like that.  If she ever uses the term "splosh". I'll know she's been watching Nigella Lawson.  Jill, however, would never use a splosh of Vermouth is she knew what it was.

The Ohio Stonewall Pride Parade was next door to the hotel where Mike Pence was staying.  It was fabulous!

People and the "Billy Graham rule"

When I worked in hell, a bunch of us would go out for lunch every Friday. I was often the only girl in a truck full of guys (Suburbans, big ass SUVs/trucks). We'd hit the Cici's pizza buffet and have a fantastic time. All the guys were married and so was I. We were friends and co-workers and would have a blast. Once a month we'd hit this bar and have a few just to chill...without spouses since we were all on the same project and it was nice to have a well-lubricated bitch session with people who understood. These were the type of guys who would defend me to the death as the only girl in the group...however, they RESPECTED me like you wouldn't believe. 

If you're not a creepy, stalker type, you shouldn't have a problem with the opposite sex. 

28 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

These were the type of guys who would defend me to the death as the only girl in the group...however, they RESPECTED me like you wouldn't believe. 

If you're not a creepy, stalker type, you shouldn't have a problem with the opposite sex. 

I wish I had more experiences like that... most men I've worked with at the hospital are creeps. I walked in on my BOSS and another guy talking about how I was in the best part of pregnancy because my "tits were bigger but I'd hadn't gotten fat yet" .... I was pregnant so I cried instead but normally I'd raise hell 

My husband works at a female dominated work place, he shares an office with a female colleauge and has a female boss. 

I’ve worked alone with male colleauges and male customers. I’ve also worked in male dominated work places and I have never had any problems. 

That rule (that I also had to google) is wrong in so many ways. Sexist against both men and women. Unpractical at work and in life. And I find the view that everything is sexual really disturbing. 

I think with the Billy Graham Rule that men are saying they can not be trusted to be alone with women.  They are saying this about themselves, they don’t trust themselves!  The ex told me no man wants to be just friends with a woman.   He is the ex for a reason.   But I am bitter still so I don’t trust any man.

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I walked in on my BOSS and another guy talking about how I was in the best part of pregnancy because my "tits were bigger but I'd hadn't gotten fat yet" .... I was pregnant so I cried instead but normally I'd raise hell 

Oh, I'd have drop kicked someone's ass up and down the hallway! 

The guys that were my friends warned the new guys..."don't fuck with C, she'll lay you out in a minute". Some idiot asked one of my friends if I was a lesbian due to the clothes I wore to work (jeans, concert t-shirts, tennis shoes) and the fact that I'm short and muscular. My buddy was like "you might wanna go downstairs and ask her husband"! 

I never once had a problem with sexual harassment in that environment. Once I got done chewing someone out for a rude remark, they WISHED I'd gone to HR instead. But, we all know I'm a ball-busting bitch from hell :)

I have a relative who is a Baptist pastor, and he told me once that he follows that rule to protect him from being accused of acting improperly. I am not a fan of the Billy Graham rule, but that explanation made more sense to me than my initial reactions.

My dad was a band director and high school counselor. He never EVER let himself be alone with any student - male or female - to protect himself from false accusations.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived