IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 60: The Shilling Dillards

Jellybean

5 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

That poor girl and your poor nephew!  I hope he gets the idea before they become too serious, that can be a horrible realization to have!

Well, they are engaged. So it's already quite serious. There are a lot of potential problems. Her parents are just the biggest one. 

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading through this old thread, I wonder if Ofjill has tried memorizing the book of Proverbs so he can get $1000.00 from JB? :pb_lol: 

For anyone who hasn't tried grits, you need to know that they are like baked potatoes, in that they aren't eaten plain, you have to FIX them to your liking. I like butter, salt, pepper, and crumbled up bacon. Many people like cheese. Some people like sugar in theirs. You can do just about anything to them.

I have a friend who puts sugar in her mashed potatoes! Apparently that is a thing in Iceland, where she is from. I'm not sure how she likes her grits, though.

You know, I'm *shocked* that Deadwit, erstwhile missionary to SCA brown people, has maintained radio silence on the humanitarian crisis involving children being taken from their asylum-seeking parents at the border.  Am I missing something because he cut me off from his twitter feed?  Surely he doesn't lack a consistent pro-life ethic.  Could Deuteronomy 10:18-19 be missing from his family Bible?  Even his role model, sycophantic Franklin Graham, has spoken out against the separation of these children from their families.  Could Deadwit actually be a Branch Trumpvidian and someone who falls outside the mainstream of conservative, fundamentalist Christianity?  With his silence, Deadwit appears to be a deluded reprobate who can't discern the simple truth that his cult leader, Herr Drumph, is little more than a thug kidnapping children at the border to extort tax dollars from Congress to build "a great, big beautiful wall."  Surely, a committed culture warrior like Deadwit could not be guilty of idolatry.  

:irony:    

As I posted last night, I have sensory issues with food which complicates my branching out and trying new things. I have been doing better the last few years though. There are some basic things that are just hard limits for me...things like eggs are one of them. I remember a couple of years back I had to have a CT scan done and did not know the standard way they get the dye into you is by injecting it into some scrambled eggs. I was gagging trying to get them down while being admonished by the tech that if I took much longer to eat them the dye would no longer be effective. Not a fun day.

It is something I worry about when I think of having kids in that I don't want to be limiting them because of my issues. I just keep hoping to have a partner who could fill in some of the food gaps for me.

The weirdest part of my food issues is that I can tolerate some things just fine that other people find disgusting, like fish oil supplements. I don't swallow pills so I just bite them and think they taste fine.

My family is from the south and I grew up on southern/soul food. I hate grits and okra. I refuse to try chitlins. Everyone in my family would eat chitlins on New Years  because they are supposed to be good luck. Yet, no one wants to make them because they smell like crap. Usually one family member would be designated to make them and everyone else would pay for the ingredients. It's funny that now you can buy them frozen and cleaned like they are some type of delicacy. 

When i have avocados that are about to go bad, I make quick guacamole with avocado, lime and garlic salt. I would love to have my own avocado tree. 

23 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

We had a 16 year old foster child who decided to help by running the dishwasher with dish soap. There were bubbles everywhere. We laughed, took a picture and handed her a mop. We gave her the picture in an album with other 'firsts".

My foster daughter did that with the washer. I wish I thought of your idea!

My sister did once post on social media a picture of my youngest nephew after he had drew all over his room wall and himself, he was wearing a T-shirt saying trouble on it. She joked about throwing the T shirt away because it was a bad influence.

12 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My sister did once post on social media a picture of my youngest nephew after he had drew all over his room wall and himself, he was wearing a T-shirt saying trouble on it. She joked about throwing the T shirt away because it was a bad influence.

The difference here is that is something cute to say about an adorable and age appropriate kid.  Even if the punishment wasn't bad, Jill's post wasn't cute or clever.  And it just wasn't a great photo.  

To be fair, I'm sure many of the photos I think are the cutest thing ever with my kid aren't as cute as I'm sure they are.  Parents can be a bit blind that way.

On 6/16/2018 at 7:33 PM, Ilovebrownies said:

I think with the Billy Graham Rule that men are saying they can not be trusted to be alone with women.  They are saying this about themselves, they don’t trust themselves!  The ex told me no man wants to be just friends with a woman.   He is the ex for a reason.   But I am bitter still so I don’t trust any man.

I was raised with the Billy Graham rule and agree with the idea that it is ridiculous, especially in the workplace. I will point out that by following this rule, it does make it nearly impossible for anyone to accuse the husband of sexual harassment, assault, etc. It's more about protecting your image/reputation than that you don't trust yourself alone with a woman.

7 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I said it once and I'll say it again, some of you are really horrible food-elitists. 

I've really appreciated your input on these conversations in the past, so I hope you don't mind me asking you to elaborate a bit, if you want. I'm really trying to work hard to not be an elitist in how I talk about food.

So, in this conversation I've commented on how it surprises me that rice, beans, and cheese are a surprising food combination to some Instagram commenters (I didn't say this, but I want to imply: as an English-speaking internet user in 2018). Is this elitist? As far as I know in Arkansas, baked beans, tortilla chips + dip are all common, like in Texas. I feel a little concerned about this because these are actually cheap working class foods for countless people- they absolutely were when money was thin in my community- and yet I feel a little shut down as if they aren't the "correct" cheap foods to discuss here. 

Joking about Jill making poached eggs? Sure, looking back on that, I can see how that's elitist. I meant to joke about the "drunk" part, but hey, I can see how that type of commentary re. egg prep can sting and I apologize for it.

I guess I'm just wondering if all snark on food at all is inherantly classist because I'm honestly trying to be careful. Apologies I'm unnecessarily making something about me.

6 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Well, they are engaged. So it's already quite serious. There are a lot of potential problems. Her parents are just the biggest one. 

I knew a guy with psycho-level controlling parents. You could actually see the lack of self esteem in the way he carried himself. When he got married his parents thought they were getting a new puppet to control, and there isn't a font big enough to convey the amount of LOL when I think about all the dustups that happened because his wife? She was not having any of that crap. I'm sure it was stressful for those directly involved but as someone who just got to hear about it later it was amazingly entertaining.

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

JIll and the boys at a water pa11rk. is it just me or does Sam always seem to have a cough. 

He could have allergies. I don’t know about Arkansas, but the pollen in New England has been wicked bad this year. I’ve been fairly miserable without taking an allergy pill every morning abd my daughter has had a cough off and on for a while too (we mentioned it to her Doctor at her appointment this month and she agreed it was likely allergies.)

And I love how Jill had to stop Izzy from trying to dump water on Sam’s head all of two seconds into the video. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

I've really appreciated your input on these conversations in the past, so I hope you don't mind me asking you to elaborate a bit, if you want. I'm really trying to work hard to not be an elitist in how I talk about food.

So, in this conversation I've commented on how it surprises me that rice, beans, and cheese are a surprising food combination to some Instagram commenters (I didn't say this, but I want to imply: as an English-speaking internet user in 2018). Is this elitist? As far as I know in Arkansas, baked beans, tortilla chips + dip are all common, like in Texas. I feel a little concerned about this because these are actually cheap working class foods for countless people- they absolutely were when money was thin in my community- and yet I feel a little shut down as if they aren't the "correct" cheap foods to discuss here. 

Joking about Jill making poached eggs? Sure, looking back on that, I can see how that's elitist. I meant to joke about the "drunk" part, but hey, I can see how that type of commentary re. egg prep can sting and I apologize for it.

I guess I'm just wondering if all snark on food at all is inherantly classist because I'm honestly trying to be careful. Apologies I'm unnecessarily making something about me.

I can’t answer for her, but I was under the impression it was directed towards the comments proclaiming certain foods were gross or inedible (barring food sensory or medical issues.)

Pollen and all the allergens have been off the charts (at least by my own estimation) and I'm about 4-5 hours from Duggarland. People I'm working with (and yeah, me too) have been hacking up a lung the past couple of weeks. My car is yellow/green every morning from all the pollen stuff all over it.

Two observations about that Insta pic:

1. I think she's wearing that bridesmaid dress?

2. Izzy's hands appear to be down his pants/in his pockets?

Two questions after that:

1. Why???

2. Do you think she saw the need for Izzy to wash his hands before he touched those dumplings?

3 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Two observations about that Insta pic:

1. I think she's wearing that bridesmaid dress?

2. Izzy's hands appear to be down his pants/in his pockets?

Two questions after that:

1. Why???

2. Do you think she saw the need for Izzy to wash his hands before he touched those dumplings?

.1 I don't think it's a brides maid dress the top is lacy the only one that had dresses like that was Jinger and none in that color. 

2 yes It does look like that and man I hope she had him wash his hands. 

On 6/19/2018 at 3:29 PM, Georgiana said:

One time, after a seminar at the local library, my mom gave my friend and I "Mr. Yuk" stickers and asked us to label anything we "shouldn't put in our mouths".  We were between 3-4. and this seemed like a good, age appropriate activity for us while she fixed lunch.  

Here are some things you shouldn't put in your mouth: the couch, the TV, the chairs, every single Disney VHS, the toy chest, the VCR, the floor, the toilet, the walls...my mom says that when she came back into the room, every single surface below 3 ft had a Mr Yuk sticker on it.  We did not get in trouble.  After all, we did what we were told.  But for a long time, just about everything in the family room had a Mr Yuk sticker on it!

This is Mr Yuk, for those who may not be familiar:

220px-Poison_Help_svg.png.5241fee849c7bbd9a38634de1741b803.png

I remember being scared of these stickers as a little kid because I thought the actual stickers were poisonous haha that was terrifying to me!!! I couldn't understand why they would put the sticker where we could reach it if it was poisonous!

7 hours ago, Alisamer said:

For anyone who hasn't tried grits, you need to know that they are like baked potatoes, in that they aren't eaten plain, you have to FIX them to your liking. I like butter, salt, pepper, and crumbled up bacon. Many people like cheese. Some people like sugar in theirs. You can do just about anything to them.

I have a friend who puts sugar in her mashed potatoes! Apparently that is a thing in Iceland, where she is from. I'm not sure how she likes her grits, though.

I put salt and  Parmesan  cheese on my oatmeal. 

7 hours ago, Alisamer said:

When I lived all over southern Africa, I had a friend who was a safari guide and he told me he could always identify tourists by their nationality as soon as they served pap. Which is maize meal, sort of similar to grits but more dense (some people make it as thick as to eat by hand). It tastes like nothing, but I didn't mind it with the sauces, usually it was like a vegetable accompaniment, there was one with a tasty peanut sauce in Zimbabwe that I liked. Anyway, he was like Americans come in two stripes - you will either try to mix jam with peanut butter in there, or Nutella and make it a dessert, or you'll drown it in ketchup. I asked him about various Europeans and he said the Russians ate anything and everything and the others wouldn't touch the pap...

WTF? I would never put jam/peanut butter on grits. OR ketchup. :penguin-no:

Butter + salt. YUM

54 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

When I lived all over southern Africa, I had a friend who was a safari guide and he told me he could always identify tourists by their nationality as soon as they served pap. Which is maize meal, sort of similar to grits but more dense (some people make it as thick as to eat by hand). It tastes like nothing, but I didn't mind it with the sauces, usually it was like a vegetable accompaniment, there was one with a tasty peanut sauce in Zimbabwe that I liked. Anyway, he was like Americans come in two stripes - you will either try to mix jam with peanut butter in there, or Nutella and make it a dessert, or you'll drown it in ketchup. I asked him about various Europeans and he said the Russians ate anything and everything and the others wouldn't touch the pap...

I would ask for pap with tomato gravy, because Elmo made it for a friend on Sesame Street and oh my God I need a break from toddler TV

8 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Jill is cooking for a family with a newborn should we be worried. :laughing-rollingyellow:

Jill doesn’t cook she heates so her ‘recipes’ can’t be that difficult. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived