IGNORED

Fundies and the Marriage Market (Unmarried Fundies 5)

Bethella

7 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Alex wore a kilt —>

63FA5A3D-8DC0-4631-AF96-C1AB83DABCC4.jpeg

Do we have any background information how they met and where they are going to live? Grace looks gorgeous and so does her mom. Judging from the videos on IG it was a very unfundie wedding that looked like a lot of fun. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 5th is Katie Bates’s birthday. If it was me I’d find a sibling scheduling their wedding on my birthday to be a little odd, but maybe it’s the only date they could get, without waiting for months.

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

October 5th is Katie Bates’s birthday. If it was me I’d find a sibling scheduling their wedding on my birthday to be a little odd, but maybe it’s the only date they could get, without waiting for months.

The Bateses have 4 children that share birthdays in February. I imagine they are used to sharing their birthday with someone else. Plus there will be so many children born in the next decade, there will be more shared birthdays and anniversaries. Katie might enjoy spending her birthday with lots of family and friends. 

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Bateses have 4 children that share birthdays in February. I imagine they are used to sharing their birthday with someone else. Plus there will be so many children born in the next decade, there will be more shared birthdays and anniversaries. Katie might enjoy spending her birthday with lots of family and friends. 

i find it odd that they are getting married on Katie's birthday which is a Friday when we've only seen them marrying on Saturday's before. it's almost like they went out of their way to get married on her birthday. 

On 8/20/2018 at 8:45 AM, mango_fandango said:

my brother gets married next year on my birthday . I don't see the issue here . 

Eh. I personally would have minded very much if my brother had gotten married on my 18th birthday. To me, that’s very much not just any random birthday. OTOH, in fundieville, turning 18 does not mean you are now an adult. So it honestly probably does not matter half as much to them. Plus of course with a gazillion people in the family, I’m sure they are more than used to nothing ever being about them (not even their milestone birthdays). 

In a family of that many people, most of whom are probably going to attempt to marry and procreate enthusiastically as soon as possible, it would be damn near impossible to get married on a weekend that didn't impact someone else's birthday, anniversary, wedding, or funeral. The Birthday Paradox becomes the Festive Occasion Paradox in fundyland.

Jumping off of something @JillyO said, not every family puts the same emphasis on "milestone" birthdays, fundy or mainstream. Katie's birthday is probably going to get an acknowledgement among the family before or after the wedding, and very likely, she'll have a small birthday cake at the reception. We've seen stuff like that before when families want to honor more than one occasion at the same time when the rest of the extended family/friend group is present.

My sister got married a few days after my 18th birthday. My birthday was mostly ignored because everyone was so busy. It was very 16 Candles, lol.

I spent my 21st birthday on a boring vacation with my family because they had forgotten about it while booking the hotel and "so what? We'll buy you a drink!" I was LIVID.

My birthday is 2 days after Christmas.  I grew up with the "you are getting one big present for Christmas instead of two separate ones" and I hated it.  I know my parents did not mean it the way I felt it, but it was like I was not important enough to actually get a birthday present.  This is when I was a very young child.  As I got older, I started not opening my "one big gift" on Christmas and holding it until my actual birthday.  That got the point across.  I did not intend to be selfish, but I was the only person that had to deal with that and the present was not usually anything big - just a normal Christmas present on par with what my siblings got.  Because I knew how it made me feel, I made a point of celebrating my daughter's birthday completely separate from Easter - which is very close to her birthday and occasionally on the same day.  I think I would probably not be happy if a sibling got married on my birthday, but then again fundies have large families and as SolomonFunday said it might be impossible to find a date that is not at least close to another special day.

And I still don't open birthday presents on Christmas, they wait!  Even if it's just a card.  It's for my birthday, not Christmas.  Although now I don't mind so much if I get one big present - like the car we bought me a few years ago.

It’s actually better to have the wedding ON your birthday than a few days before like mine was. If my birthday was on the day of the wedding, it would’ve been kind of nice. My sister actually got married on my grandfather’s birthday and I think he really enjoyed it. He saw lots of family he doesn’t see very often, he had a good meal and cake, and everyone remembered to wish him a happy birthday. I really wouldn’t have minded spending my birthday like that. 

My birthday is the same day  as my parents' anniversary. Growing up, I had a friend whose birthday was one day before mine and a cousin four days later. My niece now has the same birth day as me, a friend's daughter is the day before, my mom's birthday and another cousin's is at the end of the same month. It's a crazy celebration month for us!

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s actually better to have the wedding ON your birthday than a few days before like mine was. If my birthday was on the day of the wedding, it would’ve been kind of nice. My sister actually got married on my grandfather’s birthday and I think he really enjoyed it. He saw lots of family he doesn’t see very often, he had a good meal and cake, and everyone remembered to wish him a happy birthday. I really wouldn’t have minded spending my birthday like that. 

That is actually very sweet!  Your grandfather must have really enjoyed that.

14 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Jumping off of something @JillyO said, not every family puts the same emphasis on "milestone" birthdays, fundy or mainstream. Katie's birthday is probably going to get an acknowledgement among the family before or after the wedding, and very likely, she'll have a small birthday cake at the reception. We've seen stuff like that before when families want to honor more than one occasion at the same time when the rest of the extended family/friend group is present.

Well the Bateses managed to have a cake for Bill Gothard at Cherin's wedding. A nice cake for Katie is the least they can do. 

Lindsey Reith (Sarah’s sister) seems to be in a relationship with a guy named Thomas (last name might be Pangle).

Hopefully Josie and Katie are close and Josie will do something nice for Katie, include her as maid of honour or similar. 

#dontgetbetter is such a bizarre hashtag. I know exactly what he means, but it still gives the impression that he's got Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

1 hour ago, hasunah said:

#dontgetbetter  is that SOTDRT

That's the card you send when your worst enemy has the flu.

A Staddon is getting married. This time it’s Michael engaged to Elizabeth Frazier (I’ve never heard of her).

8CB684D9-6AC6-4DB7-8879-90EE50D2B679.jpeg

Interesting. Looks like she's of the headcovering variety. It will be interesting to see if she continues doing that after she and Michael get married.

51 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

A Staddon is getting married. This time it’s Michael engaged to Elizabeth Frazier (I’ve never heard of her).

8CB684D9-6AC6-4DB7-8879-90EE50D2B679.jpeg

I can't wait for the blog testimony. If she's anything like her future sisters-in-law, it will be a masterpiece of grudging resignation to her marital fate.

10 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Interesting. Looks like she's of the headcovering variety. It will be interesting to see if she continues doing that after she and Michael get married.

The Frazers have a blog. It’s pretty boring. 

• Bethella unpinned and locked this topic

Archived