IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 7: One Still Creative

Coconut Flan

Jessica is a fantastic artist. I hope she can work up the nerve to pursue that in a professional setting.

• Upvote 3

Was not Levi the one who did not marry Jessica? He seems to be quite the tang along to Brigid and her Husband (and their little son as it looks like....) I wonder how much contact there is between the buyers and the Eversons.....

My Girl and I are seasoned reenacts, albeit from a vastly different era and geographic location, but I do appreciate a good show, especially with people who try to be as well prepared and authentic as they can. 

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, CoalMiningGuy said:

Was not Levi the one who did not marry Jessica? He seems to be quite the tang along to Brigid and her Husband (and their little son as it looks like....) I wonder how much contact there is between the buyers and the Eversons.....

Levi and Gabe were friends first, I believe. So it makes sense that Gabe would still be friends with him, despite the relationship not working out. They're all about forgiveness... ;) 

• Upvote 3

What are the Boyer Sisters so busy doing that they don't have time to wash their hair?

Hey friends! I think it’s safe to say most of you know we don’t keep a typical wash-your-hair every-other-day routine. And, goodness knows, with the time constraints we have these days, it is a hassle to get a wash in! Charlotte and I have trained ourselves (and our scalps) to go almost a whole week without sudsing up our hair. But every once in a while, that doesn’t always work out so well.

I've heard of going no 'poo, but their scalps must get sweaty as well as oily in the summer.  Gross. 

If I'm not going anywhere special, I just wash my hair in the shower (only use a little shampoo on the scalp), add conditioner, rinse and let my hair air dry while I do something else.  I rarely break out the hairdryer in the summer.

Sometimes, our hair follicles just want to produce a little bit more oil than usual. So, what’s a girl to do? Especially when doesn’t have the time? Dry shampoo, of course!

Of course.  Now they are plugging special dry shampoo.  Only $10.50 on Etsy.

Oy girls!  If you must use dry shampoo, try mixing 3 tbsps corn starch with 2 tbsp baking soda, and add a few drops of one of your EOs.  I use a drop or 2 of vanilla essence instead.*  Use a puff bottle to apply to hair and brush your hair thoroughly afterwards to get it all out.  Grandma's recipe.  Don't use too often as it will dry your scalp and, seriously, a quick shampoo and rinse takes less time.

*This mixture works wonders on my dogs in between baths.  Doggy bathtime is always a circus here and takes two people.  One to bathe the dog and the other to hurl towels over them before they shake and try to roll themselves dry on the area rugs.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

I work 38 hours a week, study for 10 hours a week and have 3 kids (with all of the chores, running around, food prep and parenting that comes with them) and can wash my damn hair as needed. I do sometimes use powder to help with volume for an updo, but my hair is clean.

Perhaps it's the time I don't spend taking 50 photos of myself staring pensively into the distance, twirling my skirts or flicking my hands out to the sides that leaves me with so much free time for indulgent activities like hair washing?

• Upvote 17

Not defending the Boyers but I tried the "no poo" method and it was actually pretty good for my hair. I went through a week or so where my hair seemed oily but then it really settled down. I'd rinse it out with water after a work out but  that's about it. My hair seemed to smell good, was not oily and my scalp seemed healthy and (this last bit might be me imagining things) but my hair seemed to grow longer. I don't use any other products in my hair which may be one reason why this method worked for me. I eventually re -started shampooing because I'd had my hair done up family event and the stylist used a fair bit of hairspray which gunked up my hair. Since then I've gone back to washing my hair but now I only wash it about once a week unless I've packed on a lot of product for a style. It works well for me. My hair and scalp seem healthy and my hair is nice and smooth and shiny. One other bonus: because I use less shampoo now I have allowed myself to upgrade to fancier and more expensive shampoos instead of sticking to drug store shampoos on sale. I'm very pro science and totally not fundie  but a markedly decreased frequency of hair washing works well for me. 

Edited by browngrl
forgot some words also including reason I went back to shampooing occasionally: it is just because fancy shampoos and conditions make me feel special (silly but there you go)
  • Upvote 11

I hate how they push things like they are the only ones who are doing it. Plenty of people only wash their hair once a week, I'd look like Nicole Naugler, but hey that's life. You're not the inventors of not washing your hair and you don't have the most epic shampoo ever! Plenty of people do it, big effing deal. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

i have a genuine question, completely free of sarcasm, snark, BEC, etc:  

Brigid mentions in her current blog post a reference to her "golden birthday."  i'm pretty sure she's turning 21, but i have never heard of the term golden birthday before, nor have i heard of any particular year having an adjective with the sole exception of "sweet 16."  does anyone know what she means by this?  @Gabe, could we perhaps get an explanation directly from the source?

thank you to anyone who can answer.

• Upvote 4

A golden birthday is when someone turns the age of their birth date isn't it? So if mine was the 12th of Rufustember then my golden birthday would have been when I was 12. I'd assume her birthday is the 21st of July for instance.

I only shampoo my hair twice a week. It turns into a frizzy mess otherwise. Long ago I tried the no poo thing (like a decade ago - agree with Carm_88 up above, why must they act like they're the first ones ever to do things?) but the smell of my hair just didn't do it for me, even once it had settled down oil wise. I'm not slamming them for not washing it daily, it was the "tee hee, we are just too busy to wash our hair!" notion that got me. It'd have been better if they hadn't bothered with the nonsense about time constraints and just gotten straight into the product pimping.

Edited by jozina
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 4

16 minutes ago, catlady said:

i have a genuine question, completely free of sarcasm, snark, BEC, etc:  

Brigid mentions in her current blog post a reference to her "golden birthday."  i'm pretty sure she's turning 21, but i have never heard of the term golden birthday before, nor have i heard of any particular year having an adjective with the sole exception of "sweet 16."  does anyone know what she means by this?  @Gabe, could we perhaps get an explanation directly from the source?

I've heard people jokingly refer to the birthday that they turn the same age as their birth date (i.e., born on February 27th and turning 27) as their "super birthday" or "golden birthday."

• Thank You 5

thanks @jozina and @nausicaa !  i would have had mine when i was 7.

Edited by catlady
didn't see Jozina right away.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

Not defending the Boyers but I tried the "no poo" method and it was actually pretty good for my hair.

No poo seems to work for a lot of people but, as you say, even even with no poo you rinse your hair after working out and getting sweaty.

57 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I hate how they push things like they are the only ones who are doing it. Plenty of people only wash their hair once a week, I'd look like Nicole Naugler, but hey that's life. You're not the inventors of not washing your hair and you don't have the most epic shampoo ever! Plenty of people do it, big effing deal.

And they don't wash their hair because they are "too busy."

In my youth (back when dinosaurs roamed the hills) some ladies of a certain age would go to the hairdressers once a week for a "shampoo and set" and a "blue rinse." Then they spent the rest of the week desperately trying to preserve the "set."  They kept little clear plastic accordion pleated bonnets in their purses, which they would don if it even started to sprinkle with rain.  Even my mother thought that was old fashioned.  She washed her own hair several times a week, and she wouldn't have been caught dead in a plastic rain bonnet. ;)

• Upvote 13

I actually like dry shampoo. My hair can take hours to dry and I try to limit how much I blow dry it so when I'll be in a hurry/lazy I throw on some dry shampoo the night before and sleep on it. It's not exactly a replacement but it means I can avoid an ordeal the next morning or sleeping on my hair wet and dealing with insane hair for the next few days. 

Though...the thing that was life changing was a microfiber towel. Using it means my hair will dry in half the time. Still a good hour+ but it makes a difference.  

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

And they don't wash their hair because they are "too busy."

Ah yes, so busy! I'm not sure how they have time to take all these photos and post on instagram. Life is so busy! :P 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

No poo also works better for some hair types rather than others.  I tried going low-poo, but my hair is just too oily.  If I don't shampoo regularly, I get clogs on my scalp. I love dry shampoo, but I can only use it occasionally in between shampoos, or else it makes the clogging worse.

For me, I have to shampoo every other day.  I do use sulfate free shampoo which tends to be a little bit gentler, but still.  It sucks a bit and I wish I could cut down my shampooing, but ANYTHING is better than dealing with a clogged scalp.  Scalp-zits are PAINFUL.  

• Upvote 8

41 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

In my youth (back when dinosaurs roamed the hills) some ladies of a certain age would go to the hairdressers once a week for a "shampoo and set" and a "blue rinse." Then they spent the rest of the week desperately trying to preserve the "set."  They kept little clear plastic accordion pleated bonnets in their purses, which they would don if it even started to sprinkle with rain.  Even my mother thought that was old fashioned.  She washed her own hair several times a week, and she wouldn't have been caught dead in a plastic rain bonnet. ;)

When my mom was in high school she'd get her hair done once a week, and once it got too messed up she'd wear a wig the last few days of the week.

They used to give those rain bonnets out free at places like the bank. We found 47 of them after my grandmother passed away.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

In my youth (back when dinosaurs roamed the hills) some ladies of a certain age would go to the hairdressers once a week for a "shampoo and set" and a "blue rinse."

Another antediluvian here. My grandma did the same thing -- she called it "getting her hair done" and it required a weekly trip to her favorite beauty parlor.

Agree with everyone else here -- why do these young women have to imbue every damned thing in their lives with so much drama?

• Upvote 11

As far as I know golden birthday refers to the birthday that falls onto the same day as your birth. So if her day of birth was a Saturday this would be this year. 

• Thank You 2

On 7/9/2018 at 11:16 AM, Georgiana said:

No poo also works better for some hair types rather than others.  I tried going low-poo, but my hair is just too oily.  If I don't shampoo regularly, I get clogs on my scalp. I love dry shampoo, but I can only use it occasionally in between shampoos, or else it makes the clogging worse.

For me, I have to shampoo every other day.  I do use sulfate free shampoo which tends to be a little bit gentler, but still.  It sucks a bit and I wish I could cut down my shampooing, but ANYTHING is better than dealing with a clogged scalp.  Scalp-zits are PAINFUL.  

I tried it a couple of years ago at the peak of its trendiness, and my scalp was unbearably itchy and oily for about a month til I gave up. People kept trying to tell me that I was just doing it wrong, or that if I stuck it out a little longer my hair would magically become beautiful. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 2

Charlotte is having yet another quarter life crisis/trying to appear more mature than she is? Who knows? 

• Upvote 4

What is with that continual pose? She looks like she is holding her belly because of menstrual cramps and her other arm has been superglued on top.

• Haha 12

Quote:  It’s funny how life can change so subtlety, yet so quickly. 

Dear Charlotte,  i think you mean "subtly." you're going for an adverb here, not a noun.  

so if i can wade through the vague-stagramming, Charlotte sounds overwhelmed.  back when she was sitting around bored out of her mind and clamoring for something to do all day, she was looking for a purpose.  and good for her for looking around.  so she got into the EO crap, redesigned her website, and started working with Dad.  i still don't know what she does all day every day that eats up so much of her hair-washing time (seriously, how does she not have time to spend 10 minutes in the shower and another 5 with a brush and blow-dryer?), but my guess is that she's dealing with real deadlines for the first time in her life and answering to someone else's demands--and those someone-elses don't care about her selfies, her blogs, or her bad hair days.  she may finally have a taste of real-world stress, and maybe spends some of her lunch breaks wishing she could go back to the easy, care-free days when she could do what she wanted, when she wanted.  

yes, Charlotte, life is indeed confusing, complicated, and messy, but in the grand scheme of things, your life is still pretty easy.  if you stumble, your parents are still there to provide you with food, clothing, and shelter.  get yourself a residence, a car, a baby, and sustain all of it 100% by yourself*, and then you can ramble on about how hard things are.  until then, dial back the drama just a little bit.  

*i'm just throwing out random examples here.  

• Upvote 5

On 7/9/2018 at 11:20 AM, Alisamer said:

They kept little clear plastic accordion pleated bonnets in their purses,

This was standard gear in my youth, along with clear rubber overshoes, also for rain. I am old, LOL.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

This was standard gear in my youth, along with clear rubber overshoes, also for rain. I am old, LOL.

Re: bolded. The winter version being "galoshes," as my grandma called them!

Just remembered too that she used to drive one or two other ladies of her age to the weekly beauty parlor appointments as well -- something that only hospitalization or death would have kept them all from doing.

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic