IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 7: One Still Creative

Coconut Flan

I'm actually heartened that Charlotte prefers actual work to the MLM shill-fest.  Go Charlotte!  It seems such a small thing, being allowed to work for her father, but she'd being allowed a lot more freedom than her older sisters were, and even if it's still enmeshed, it's tons more healthy than sitting around re-arranging a hope chest, and focusing only on clothes and looks.

(Of course, laughing at the way their mother or whoever else it was drove them/took their insta-worthy photos, and doubtless paid for the roadtrip, but doesn't get any thanks.  Of course they don't, these are the Boyers!)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

While the dream post would be .... unusual for the average young adult, coming from Charlotte, it makes me think that maybe she really wants a career, and she’s now seeing this as a way into long term, full time work. One can hope. 

• Upvote 5

Maybe it was a dream come true because she was so bitter about downgrading their lifestyle when he lost his job and they had to move. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 6/13/2018 at 7:59 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

My first reaction to that outfit was that it was a good way to get on the business end of someone’s fist. If it wasn’t already clear these ladies aren’t frequenting the bars or parades on St. Patrick’s Day, wearing orange like that leaves little room for doubt. What a pointless display that makes her, frankly, look like an asshole for delving into some *nasty* politics on a day meant to be a celebration (in the U.S., anyway). Maybe it’s my memories of spending summers in the U.K. during the troubles, but I just have no patience for playing up religious factionalism that has resulted in many, many people’s death, and to do it as a “fashion statement.” Appalling, really. 

In the US as of years late, people are starting to consider it racist, and one of my oldest friends and I had a falling out because she drank the Catholic wine a bit too heavily and decided that anyone who isn't Catholic is insulting Catholics for doing anything on St. Patrick's Day because it's the day the good Lord led the St. Patrick to drive all those snakey non-Catholics out of Ireland.  I've always disliked the day because it meant my alcoholic parents were going to go cray-cray on the beer, and also the snakes driven out were people like me (some fled, some were killed, either way, it was to rid a country of non-Catholics like me) , and so I celebrated to chap the asses of people who took it seriously and hoped that the promise of corned beef would get my parents to stay home longer so there'd be less time at the pubs.  All I ever did was make corned beed and cabbage and sometimes dye green, but that infuriated that friend, and I was given the choice of not even making corned beef, or she was done with me.  Adios, Chicana.  You don't get to dictate what food I can eat on St Patrick's Day, and if you wanna get fucking pissy because I'm not going to seriously celebrate a day meant to celebrate someone aiming for religious genocide in a country, okay.  My friendship is your loss.

All to say that the Boyers making such a big-ass deal about colors and associations isn't a new thing.  There are already Americans who act like it's so serious that they have to separate themselves from the Catholic part, or try to force non-Catholics to separate.

@browngrl, "Sad to think they could have had a healthy baby if only they had chosen a traditional birthing method."  I had water births, and there's a bit difference between a baby being born and brought right out of the water, and keeping a baby under the water for a while.  Also there are no more germs and bacteria than in a vaginal birth with a woman being forced onto her back (which is a very counterproductive position).  The water should be clean for each woman, and so the germs and bacteria shouldn't be anything that wouldn't otherwise be present.  If there are all kinds of other nasties, then the environment needs to be cleaned.  And hospitals are known for being breeding grounds of germs as it is.

So really, don't conflate people being idiots and trying to make their kid a mermaid with people who do it properly and bring the baby up right away.  By the way, that whole on-your-back thing that you call traditional?  That's like calling a mother/father/2.5 kids a traditional family.  It's really not.  Look at how our great-granmothers gave usually birth, then our grandmothers (hospital-births in the 50's were horrifying and left many women with bruised wrists and ankles).  My great-gran gave birth squatting or on hands and knees depending on where she was, and that was never in a hospital since she couldn't afford it.  My gran was strapped wrists and ankles down in a hospital and doesn't remember much.  My mother was on her back in a hospital.  I was in water with a midwife.  Was I the non-traditional woman, or is there no real traditional?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I too think she has a crush on someone there. Gal Pal seems a bit too eager for a job. “Home sick for your work team” totally reads like a crush to me.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

I don't think they're the least bit happy. I think they are putting on happy faces. Those two are just drifting. 
Even if they were happy. I cannot support MLMs. 
I know. They're basically content to scam people while getting scammed themselves. MLMs like these are created and marketed specially for the Christian women subset who want to be Biblical and stay at home but also have something to do that's homey, bringing in money while adhering to their idea of Proverbs 31 rather than emasculating their husbands. I would suggest more study or finding work that is interesting for both of them in a secular setting, but that probably won't happen anytime soon.
  • Upvote 9

I'm stuck at home on call while my partner and kids are off bushwalking, so I disappeared down the Frayt rabbit hole. The young guy usedbicycle mentioned in the photo she posted?  He started his summer internship there two days before Charlotte posted the below on Instagram:

"It kinda sucks when you find something you really connect with, but you know it’s probably only temporary. Makes me appreciate the steadfast, unchanging love of my Father in Heaven all the more I realize how fleeting this life is. This summer is going to be one of growth, I’ll tell you that."

Of course the two may well be nothing to do with each other, but interesting timing.  And I'll depart the baseless speculation train now. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, jozina said:

And I'll depart the baseless speculation train now.

Interesting possibilities, though. :think:

But I thought we had a speculation bus, not a train? :pb_wink:

:isp.ani:

:my_biggrin:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, jozina said:

Thanks! Hah, I was dithering about which it was and clearly got it wrong.

I don't think there is a right or wrong, but I wanted an excuse to use that emoji! :my_blush:

• Upvote 8

Baseless Speculation Crush has a series of cooking videos up on his Facebook. They're more entertaining than the Boyer sisters' blog. Better a delicious turkey basted in things than how to baste yourself in overpriced oils.

They're publicly available, not sure if I can link to them or not.

Edited by jozina
  • Upvote 3

I love the dramatic "I left part of my heart in Ohio" followed by #single. If that's not unrequited love I don't know what it is... Charlotte has never seemed so relatable, lol.

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.06.38 PM.png

Edited by usedbicycle
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

The Boyer Sisters are what happen when healthy communication and emotional regulation is squished down on a daily basis. There is nothing more annoying than vague hashtags and passive aggressive comments relating to life events that everyone has already figured out. But it must be sad and paranoid inducing thinking that others are talking about you or pitying you when you thought life would be much different.

• Upvote 9

So Charlotte is turning 19?????????? She talks like her life is about to end - heck, I can't get over the fact that she is so young!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Charlotte seems similar to more than a few teens I've known - mercurial, passionate, self absorbed and so very sure that they are right. Her hyperbolic posts about her recent trip/father's presentation/loving her work  are irritating but seem within the normal range for a person who is still has quite a bit of growing up left to do.

Jessica on the other hand is worrying me more and more. She seems sad and lost whenever I've seen her or read anything by her (which is less and less often). Her skin issues remain and she seems frail and thin. Even her art choices make me concerned - she does not seem to draw anything that seems to bring her joy - just pictures of old patriarchal men. 

I hope I am way off base regarding Jessica but if I am not I hope someone in her real life is taking care of her. I hope that Brigit's husband comes here and tells me I am entirely wrong and that Jessica is very happy indeed. However I am doubtful - her family seems to have found a way not to see her eating disorder for quite a long time (based on my interpretation of one of Jessica's posts) and I suspect they will find a way not to see what looks like depression.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

As someone who grew up slightly Fundie, I do understand Charlotte (and Jessica's) feelings of "I wasn't married at 18, what's wrong with me?"

It's back to the stupid sexist "find a man and pop out babies right away otherwise God will look down on you" ideal. I felt at 22 that I was going to die alone because I had never been in a relationship. I felt defective. But I was finally breaking out of the toxic fundamentalist mindset, and as I went on to finish school and find other things to do, I met my now husband. I still kept up my education and work until our son came along, and basically the only reason I'm at home with him is because daycare would be almost the cost of our home mortgage. 

But it did take a long time to stop feeling like I was broken because I didn't become a baby factory at 18. I do sympathize with the Boyers there, because that mindset takes some time to get out of.

Edited by Jhamishwat
Removing extra space
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 13

I get these two so mixed up. I feel like I need to pull a Michael Scott and mark one of the girl's hands to keep them straight. I thought Jessica was the one working for Daddy and vagueposting/whining through her road trip. 

So, Charlottes the one living her ambitious dream with Dad. What does Jessica  do while Charlotte works and Brigid is a helpmeet, beyond breaking her mother?

sorry, I'm feeling snarky bitchy today. Must. Find. Food.

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

So catching up on what I missed! It's a lot it seems! 

Brigid and Gabe along with Bridgriel are reenacting. Looking well dressed! 

Spoiler

Jessica is doing cover work for Brigid's new patterns. 

Spoiler

Charlotte is vague-stagramming...again

Spoiler

Lots of talk about God...yadda yadda

Spoiler

What happened to embracing her natural hair? No matter...it's her hair but that was a thing, like a month ago! :P 

Spoiler

Charlotte is waiting on God's timing? Huh? 

Spoiler

It's good that you feel safe Charlotte, now try not to be an arse to your mother! 

Spoiler

Jessica finished her portrait of Dr. R.C. Sproul. 

• Thank You 8
  • Love 1

I love that picture of the Eversons. That looks like so much fun!

I do echo the concern about Jessica. I know there are sides to her life that aren't shown on social media, but from what she does post, I can't help being concerned for her.

• Upvote 4

I wonder if Brigid is aware what exactly a camp-follower was?

• Haha 16

20 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I wonder if Brigid is aware what exactly a camp-follower was?

I'm going to go with no, lol. And is that her real live baby with his head lolling out of the baby wrap?  Pro tip: redo the wrap when the poor baby falls asleep! I'm getting a sympathetic crick in my neck. 

Random thoughts: Jessica's drawing is excellent, truly good work. The "I love you" hand sign is not a secret. Charlotte's hair never looks a bit different to me in all of the 'look what I did to my hair!' posts (my hair is the same).  

• Upvote 9

The camp followers did include wives as well as ladies of negotiable affection, generally of the enlisted men. 

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

15 minutes ago, desertvixen said:

The camp followers did include wives as well as ladies of negotiable affection, generally of the enlisted men. 

The enlisted men's wives tended to be  serial monogamists. In order to be on the books and thus be eligible for rations , the women had to be married and frequently re-married inside the battalion when  their current  husband was killed or died.

It was a hard life for a woman who followed the drum.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Awww they are a sweet little family thought! :) I know I could snark but Brigriel is quite the cutie there, growing quite fast! Looks like they're having quite a good time.*

*A much better time than what soldiers and camp followers actually had. :P I feel better now, the snark is out! 

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic