IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 7: One Still Creative

Coconut Flan

57 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Aedan will wear gowns until at least 4. (at events) Those gowns don't have to be white,

https://archive.triblive.com/local/westmoreland/14171588-74/history-on-display-at-fort-ligonier-days

Wow, he's a such little cutie!  I'm glad to hear he is dressed correctly for events. 

I can always smoke you out of lurkdom by mentioning reenactments, can't I @Gabe.

That looks like darkish "natural" linen?  White (or whitish) fabric for baby clothes was common even back then.  Partly because the frequent washing and drying in the sun of baby clothing faded colors.   Fast forward to the Victorian age and sparkling white was pretty much de rigueur for upper crust babies and toddlers.  Bluing for white clothing was invented around 1850, IIRC.

But would you ever dress little Aeden in pink?  That would also be historically accurate. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Bluing for white clothing was invented around 1850, IIRC.

Blueing was used in the 18th century. I haven't tried charting it back to first use but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back another 200-300 years before then.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

8 hours ago, Gabe said:

Blueing was used in the 18th century. 

A fact I know because I like the Drunk Laundress. :laughing-jumpingpurple: She is like a colonial American Mrs. Crocombe. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

My mom said that gender neutral baby clothes were popular when I was born because no one knew what sex they were having. But now since so many people find out the sex of the baby so early, gendered baby clothing has exploded and there’s hardly any gender neutral clothing in stores anymore. I don’t have any studies to back this up, but I imagine baby clothing became more strictly gendered after ultrasounds became the norm.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Marserin said:

I am sure there is something to gendering baby clothing when stores they thought they could sell more clothes that way.

From my own personal observation it seems to be true. I never knew the sex until birth so I always looked for gender neutral baby clothing everywhere I went. There was barely any at most stores. But large sections of gendered baby clothing. 

I personally love gender neutral baby clothing because it can easily be passed on to anyone with a baby. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

I went to a Revolutionary War reenactment in October and there were so many kiddos who were dressed up alongside their parents. It was, as is Aeden, absolutely adorable. I also saw a woman breastfeeding her infant dressed in 18th-century garb, which was noteworthy to me because it looked SO convenient, which I suppose was part of the point of what as in fashion for people who were breastfeeding at the time. It was the first reenactment I've ever been (how, as someone with a history degree, I never got around to one remains a bit of a mystery) and I enjoyed myself quite a bit. I'm contemplating taking part in one, but honestly I do enough dish washing and and cleaning with modern amenities to want to do it costumed and without a water tap, and it seemed as though that's mostly what the female reenactors were doing. Also noteworthy was that one reenactor had a horse that was utterly bombproof and didn't get spooked by the cannon, which impressed the hell out of me.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I went to a Revolutionary War reenactment in October and there were so many kiddos who were dressed up alongside their parents. It was, as is Aeden, absolutely adorable. I also saw a woman breastfeeding her infant dressed in 18th-century garb, which was noteworthy to me because it looked SO convenient, which I suppose was part of the point of what as in fashion for people who were breastfeeding at the time. It was the first reenactment I've ever been (how, as someone with a history degree, I never got around to one remains a bit of a mystery) and I enjoyed myself quite a bit. I'm contemplating taking part in one, but honestly I do enough dish washing and and cleaning with modern amenities to want to do it costumed and without a water tap, and it seemed as though that's mostly what the female reenactors were doing. Also noteworthy was that one reenactor had a horse that was utterly bombproof and didn't get spooked by the cannon, which impressed the hell out of me.

You couldn’t pay me enough to be in one of those. I’ve always been convinced that I was born in the right time. I like modern conveniences too much. Now watching one sounds good. I’ll leave the uncomfortable clothing to the actors. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You couldn’t pay me enough to be in one of those. I’ve always been convinced that I was born in the right time. I like modern conveniences too much. Now watching one sounds good. I’ll leave the uncomfortable clothing to the actors. 

I’d be up for aiming the cannon or actually participating in the skirmishes. But my idea of fun isn’t doing exactly what I’m doing at home in a corset. 

From what I do hear, though, the Saturday evening is when the real fun stuff is. I went Sunday morning and there were a lot of bleary-eyed batallion members and dairy maids—and the Benjamin Franklin reenactor, appropriately, didn’t arrive at his tent until 2pm. ?

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I want to see cute retro holiday children's clothing! I'm squeeing at the very idea!

(says a mother whose kid dressed from cardigan to mary-janes in vintage-y and well-made clothes.)

• 2 weeks later...

Brigid posted on her blog pictures of a baby gown with smocking. I can’t sew anything more than a button or pillow case. So her smocking looks like the Sistine Chapel to my eyes. 

7C357F64-D57C-4505-A9FE-515174C389D4.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 6

I also greatly admire the a ability to dress a baby using tiny buttons, I find that snaps instead of zippers are hard enough. And that ruching/pleating! My goodness, how talented she is.

• Upvote 7

I love the embroidery on the smocking. That's just so  darn cute.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte posted the timeline of her relationship with her husband on her insta stories. 9 months after they started dating they got married and she got pregnant with a honeymoon baby. So quick! I would die.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I find it hilarious and so so sad when fundies feel the need to make it absolutely clear that it’s a honeymoon baby and was definitely not conceived out of wedlock.

Obviously congratulations to the happy couple but I feel like it’s a real pity that she’d only just started working full time, living a slightly more empowered life, only to be married and a mother by the age of twenty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Knee deep in marriage doesn’t sound like an accurate descriptor when you’ve only been married 6 months. I feel like Charlotte is going to be rather shocked by how selfless she will have to be when this baby comes. She’s still very young.

261BC238-B7C7-4F3B-8F70-C917CCB2BE41.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

Her Instagram handle makes me think of fruit brandy (ie alcohol). I don't think that was what she was going for. 

Besides that, I hope she can find fulfillment in being a SAHM. She didn't seem to find it in being a SAHD, so I hope that if she decides to go back to work her husband allows (gag)/supports her. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Wasn’t she originally “moddyapple”? I never knew where that came from. 
If you’re a SAHD, in fundiedom, you have very little to do, particularly in a small family like theirs where there weren’t tonnes of younger siblings to help homeskool. Having a baby will be like a full-time job in itself so there’s that. We also don’t know how many kids they plan to have, the type of spacing etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Wasn’t she originally “moddyapple”? I never knew where that came from. 

That was probably a takeoff on ModCloth and Shabby Apple.

They both sell retro/vintage inspired clothes, and I think Charlotte was still in her vintage cosplay phase when she made up the name.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Knee deep in marriage doesn’t sound like an accurate descriptor when you’ve only been married 6 months. I feel like Charlotte is going to be rather shocked by how selfless she will have to be when this baby comes. She’s still very young.

261BC238-B7C7-4F3B-8F70-C917CCB2BE41.jpeg

Well she sounds knee deep in something, anyway :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, katilac said:

An echo of misformama's post. I guess denying the need for self-care is the new trend to prove your holiness!

Charlotte liked the last 3 posts Braggie made on Instagram. I predict Charlotte’s instagram will have a lot of the same ideas as Misformama’s.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Knee deep in marriage doesn’t sound like an accurate descriptor when you’ve only been married 6 months. 

I did appreciate that she put "life" in quotation marks, as if to suggest the word usage is questionable in her circumstances. That's one thing that she and I can agree on, at least. Charlotte hadn't even begun to taste the smallest bit of an actual adult life before running into this marriage. She tagged along with her older sisters, did typical Youngest Child attention-seeking things, received an indifferent education at the SOTDRT, and played "job" with daddy for a year. Then, she married the first guy who looked at her, and now is wandering around in her home, waiting til the contractions to start so that her other purpose in life can kick in.

Charlotte has always been one of those people who is a self-styled Instant Expert at anything that she tries once. She's also confused her inevitable early marriage and predictable pregnancy with whatever defines having an actual unique personal identity. She's been married for 6 months, so she's an expert at marriage, and her #soblessed life is all about being a wife and "mommy-to-be". Sit down and take notes; Charlotte will be sure to tell us all about it.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 1/18/2020 at 2:31 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was surprised to see her pop up on my Instagram feed. I had totally forgotten she even existed...

I lol'ed when I read that line about being knee deep in marriage. Following that metaphor, she apparently thinks her marriage will drown her in only a couple of years by being up to her neck ...

She posts stuff like she's some kind of experienced SAHM influencer with a huge following when in reality she's just a newlywed who hasn't even had her first baby yet. What could she possibly know?!? And that drab aesthetic that the likes of Josie Bates seem enjoy so much ... ugh.

Her Insta bio also made me wonder: "Wife. Mama. Homebody" – nothing else!?!?  So apparently getting married and having her husband (ever so swiftly!) impregnate her is her whole identity. Sad.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Paperplate said:

that drab aesthetic

I am decidedly not a fundie but I have just decorated my home in a way that I think Josie Balka and Charlotte Brandyberry (among other fundies) would heartily approve of. It is all shades of grey (I think the grey I've used for the living room is the same shade of grey Whitney Bates chose). The only pops of colour are muted orange (like Campbell Morton seems to like) or muted mustard/rust (as Charlotte seems to like). I have a sofa that looks a bit like Charlotte's too.  It is a very monochrome decor scheme. Well I don't care if the fundies share my decor sensibilities! I love the drab colours - so soothing, so calming.  ?

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic