IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 7: One Still Creative

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, FundiesInParis said:

Looks like they’re headed to Utah for a YL conference. 

FD70C2DE-A9EB-48EE-917B-088C9B791F10.png

Maybe they'll find an essential oil that cures their existential anxiety while they're there. I won't hold my breath. :my_rolleyes:

(By the way, totally off topic, but YES! You're the one with the enraged Jessa user pic! I love that picture so much, and I could never find it!)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, Shoobydoo said:

That I can truly sympathize with. 

I really hope Jessica does not buy into the idea that suffering will somehow makes you a better artist. It's a stereotype, but it's also pretty pervasive attitude even amongst actual artists. There is a small number of people who seem to revel in their mental health issues and how it influences their work. I don't want to say that art born from suffering is inherently bad-- but art you have to suffer for isn't worth making, in my opnion. 

I hope she gets the help she needs and is able to make the art she wants to. It doesn't sound like she WANTS to be sick, I just don't know that she'll ever really have the resources to get real help.

To be fair, you have a bunch of extraordinarily fucked up friends.  I think the fact that they all went to art school is correlational, not necessarily symptomatic of a wide variety of artists.

4 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I write. I think my mental health issues have given me a deeper perspective that helps me create characters--but if I didn't have mental health issues I would have written a hell of a lot more than I have! No use having a better perspective if you can't muster up the energy to write a paragraph. 

I hope she takes classes of any kind from a regular school--it's not good to be insulated from other people and their perspectives, and I personally think the challenge would be helpful for her. 

Oh, and here's me being BEC: that set of stays is nice, but take a look at this piece of smoothly-sewed professionalism from Etsy: 

Hide contents

image.png.1a9a52e2ee74c45b553030b8aa1e4605.png

Feel free to correct me, but I'd prefer this one any day.

I am very biased because my other daughter is a professional costumer who sews stuff like this on her own time for fun.  I agree 100%.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

I am very biased because my other daughter is a professional costumer who sews stuff like this on her own time for fun.  I agree 100%.

Ooo, lovely! That sounds like an amazing profession! I sew, although I'm quite amateur. I made an 1850s day dress when I was 15 or 16, and in recent years have made some pieces for a professional Santa Claus. (Not a full suit, by any means). 

I'm thinking of hand-sewing my next 1800s dress. I'm probably insane.

• Upvote 3

Oh boy. They'll be so full of oil posts for a while. That shit annoys me. *grrrr* 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

Jessica is taking an art class. At least she was on/around May 19th.

I hope she continues with it to hone her craft. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Ah yes. Several of my former friends are also en route to Mecca (Salt Lake City for the Young Living convention).

Since their founder just died a month ago, should be interesting to see how well they can keep the smoke and mirrors going.

Not sure HOW these three can afford it, though. Tickets are at least $149 each. Plus travel + hotel @ premium prices + food + extra for new products, excursions, classes, etc. 

The thought of being elbow to elbow with 35,000+ oily-smelling people for 3 or 4 days? Nopeity nope nope. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

50 minutes ago, Botkinetti said:

I found this site from somewhere on FJ but can’t remember who recommended it but I love it.

I think @MargaretElliott posted the Frockflicks link originally.  I love it.

And here's a blog that Brigid and Gabe might want to look at - especially when it comes to perfecting their corsets and running a small business making historically correct costumes.    https://adamselindisdress.blog/

She has a youtube channel too. 

@Gabe - probably Brigid should check it out the blog first because there are some defrauding pictures of young ladies in their corsets. ;)

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Jessica is taking an art class. At least she was on/around May 19th.

I hope she continues with it to hone her craft. 

That's actually very good! I really only have one small comment - the vanishing point used for your perspective looks like it's too close to the object, giving it a bit of a distorted appearance. If you paper isn't long enough to capture the true vanishing point (which is almost never is, at shallow angles) you can use a couple pieces of string get the right angles. Anchor the string where your vanishing point ought to be, stretch the ends to the corners you need, trace the string and voila, you have the correct persepective. It's a PITA, but it can give much more accurate results. :tw_smile:

Why I'm writing this like Jessica's going to come read it, I don't know. :pb_lol: Maybe someone here at FJ is going to start doing still lifes. 

• Upvote 12

They were in Nebraska! Talking about oils already...:doh::digging-grave:

Spoiler

Don't worry Jessica, we don't think that you are turning Roman Catholic. Speaking for all Catholics, we don't want you! 

Edited by Carm_88
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

Geez, was it really necessary to throw in that the chapel was made by CATHOLICS and that she herself IS NOT A CATHOLIC? And not 'four anonymous builders' or 'four anonymous people' but 'four anonymous CATHOLICS' just in case you forgot that it was made by CATHOLICS? 

There's such a thing as admiring works of art and architecture without falling all over yourself to talk about the religion of the creators.

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

On the art school thing: my school was pretty academic, and most of us went straight to university after leaving (me included), mainly to top universities (over here, the Russell Group is considered the most prestigious, somewhat analogous to the Ivy League; RG universities are basically the top research universities and naturally include Oxford and Cambridge among others). A number of girls, however, did an "art foundation" year at various places; as they were all under 19 before the course started they didn't pay anything. They subsequently went on to study various art/design-related degrees such as graphic design or similar, for which I guess they paid the standard fee of £9000. I don't know much about them, but I gather you're exposed to all sorts of different art-related areas, within certain pathways (eg Fine Art, Textiles, that kind of thing). 

Incidentally, one of my mother's friends is American, and went to an art school over here (and lives here now). I forget which one. Said friend also runs art classes at her house which my mother goes to. Said friend is not a famous artist by any stretch. 

I really like drawing/doodling, but I'm nowhere near the level of an art student :pb_lol::pb_lol: I have a big stack of printer paper on my desk which I make good use of. I mostly draw people, in a very cartoony way. I am also shite at sewing. 

• Upvote 7

They made it. My skin is breaking out just thinking about it! :P 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

Lord knows I dislike the term "basic bitch," but if that isn't a basic bitch instagram photo, I don't know what is. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 1

I google they Boyer sisters so I could show @zeebaneighba the wedding pics and now Pinterest is constantly throwing Boyer sister posts at me. I regret my decisions. :pb_confused:

• Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 6

I've been through Jessica's story and no, I didn't save them all!

Jessica1.png.65134655d8331d31d7971f73faa54e85.png

Spoiler

Jessica2.png.f64018617b167b4cb0b3f31a8b6299fc.png

Spoiler

Jessica3.png.d9302fb448b99c4e22f5ab2d8b5fb44a.png

Spoiler

Jessica4.png.61a0a26e7ad5e7cebabc4af1c3c6a333.png

Spoiler

Jessica5.png.915c6c586273300eadd02a04f2fdf37d.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

I'm so glad God made mountains.  Good old Lord, moving continents and heaving land upon land when tectonic plates mea, just thinking ahead to me, 2018 and my Instagram stories.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 16

collage-11-640x480.jpg

SKIRT: MOM-MADE // BLOUSE: THRIFTED // SHRUG: THRIFTED // STOCKINGS: TARGET // SHOES: MISS L. FIRE // HEAD WRAP: FOREVER 21 // BELT: FOREVER 21 // EARRINGS: HANDMADE FIND // NECKLACE: ORIGAMI OWL

Her mother made that skirt, with that complicated quilt-like pattern? All those pieces properly fitted together for her daughter's figure?

Such a shame the girls were so neglected by their unloving mother.*

*Yes, I know a skirt doesn't represent an entire relationship, but we all remember that kind and loving Mother's Day post...and that skirt is an impressive piece that must have taken quite a bit of time and energy to complete.

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, apandaaries said:

Her mother made that skirt, with that complicated quilt-like pattern? All those pieces properly fitted together for her daughter's figure?

I'll bet the skirt is made of material printed to look quilted and not actually pieced together like a quilt. This doesn't change the fact that it is still a very nice gift from her mother. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, Kariina said:

Where is she, 17th century Europe?

See also:

http://boyersisters.com/2015/03/sister-flair-happy-st-patricks-day/

Calm down, you're not going to go up in flames for vague adjacency to Catholicism.

Charlotte decided that she would flatter both sides of this holiday by wearing traditional Catholic green and our beloved Protestant orange.

I am cackling. 

The idea of Protestant appropriation of Paddy's Day via the colours of the Orange Order is just very, very funny.  "Both sides of this holiday". BOTH SIDES. As if Protestants in Belfast were celebrating St Patrick's Day (I mean, now, maybe, but they ain't wearing orange).

(In the UK and Ireland, at least, St Patrick's Day has always been a) a catholic thing b) an Irish thing or c) an Irish catholic thing. And the Protestants join in now, in the year of our Lord 2018, because who doesn't like guinness, but I have never heard of orange being associated with the day, for obvious reasons. Let's not be silly)

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, jozina said:

I'm so glad God made mountains.  Good old Lord, moving continents and heaving land upon land when tectonic plates mea, just thinking ahead to me, 2018 and my Instagram stories.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. So why can’t she just say she likes geography?

• Upvote 5

I like the lady in the comments who never realized people wore green on St Patrick's Day :oooh:

I love the patchwork skirt and the green cardigan with it, I would wear a different shirt, different shoes, and no tights or headband.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, apandaaries said:

collage-11-640x480.jpg

BEC here, but damn. That outfit screams Bag Lady Chic.  Just because it's green, doesn't mean it goes together.

Maybe it's a good thing Jess and Char don't have to worry about their wardrobes now that they have those color palettes for their personal energy style... *facepalm*

Edited by charmedforsure
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic