IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 7: One Still Creative

Coconut Flan

This pic is on Chris's public Facebook page. Wow, she wore a strapless dress!

They went to a tropical place for their honeymoon.

69786528_10156934945984011_1269144449213005824_o.jpg

Edited by Mommit
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, Mommit said:

WOW!  This could be any bride and groom!

• I Agree 2

I think their modesty standards have been gone for awhile now. Jess and Charlotte have dressed mainstream since Brigid left.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mommit said:

Wow, that's such a lovely gown! I especially love her hair and veil; it's really elegant and chic.

• I Agree 2

16 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

Is there a public picture of Charlotte's dress? (I love weddings!)

Yes, Elijah Brandyberry and Charlotte have some pictures. 

Here is one from Elijah’s account. 

Spoiler

7C1116B8-6FFC-4BA3-BDF3-B8BFF7A55A92.thumb.png.a29c3e7fad356a84a3cce47239779d92.png

Edited by DancingPhalanges
Spelling
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m disappointed in the lack of Yeti pelt sporrans.

Ah well - not every groom can sew his own wedding regalia.

Charlotte also looks lovely. May both her & Jessica's marriages be happy ones.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

8 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Ah well - not every groom can sew his own wedding regalia.

Charlotte also looks lovely. May both her & Jessica's marriages be happy ones.

Although Gabe is a mansplainer, I do like his creations. 

• Upvote 7

Gabe's apparent surprise at our reactions to his mansplaining made his debut here one of my favorite fundie visits to FJ. I'm sure he felt that he would just arrive calmly and manfully, maybe with a shadow of Gary Grant's delivery, and straighten out our silly, misunderstanding little heads. 

Still, dude can sew. He strikes me as being the most industrious of the Boyer bridegrooms. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Pianokeeper said:

Gabe's apparent surprise at our reactions to his mansplaining made his debut here one of my favorite fundie visits to FJ. I'm sure he felt that he would just arrive calmly and manfully, maybe with a shadow of Gary Grant's delivery, and straighten out our silly, misunderstanding little heads. 

Still, dude can sew. He strikes me as being the most industrious of the Boyer bridegrooms. 

I think it’s almost expected for fundie men to be mansplainers. I think there must be a course taught at the Big Sandy conference on day one. 

• Upvote 13

3 hours ago, Pianokeeper said:

As we know next to nothing about the other two, I'm not sure that is a fair assumption.  Gabe and his yeti pelt still have time to monitor this thread.  

:562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave: Hi Gabe.  Hope you, Brigid and the babes are well.

• Upvote 7

Me, I like Gabe. (I have never met Gabe the person, only Gabe the personality on FJ)

He is a man who has grown up in the extreme patriarchy, and you cannot fault him for his upbringing. But he is also a man who so obviously not only loves his wife, but also respects his wife and her talents. That respect beams through all of his interactions here, and his online presence. (What little I see, that is)

You cannot be a Quiverfull and Fungelical man while also respecting your wife and attempting to defend her at the same time. You just can't. For example, no man stood up for Kelly when she was being harassed on the plane. Those guys just spread their legs and fantasied about revenge while leaving her miserable.

But Gabe was brave enough to engage with us, here. I know that he came across as pompous, but that's his culture. No other man in this culture would stay, engage, answer questions, show some critical thought, and gracefully accept thanks after our well-wishes. He also was respectful of his wife's and in-law's boundaries. Other men in his culture would be obviously jealous of their wife's talents, and enjoy the power of spreading gossip and riding roughshod over the wishes of his wife and her sisters. Gabe is not such a man. At least, he does not present as such a man.

So I am very hopeful for him, Brigid, and their marriage. If only such a person as Gabe had grown up in a healthier environment! But he didn't. Still, despite the woman-minimizing poison of this subculture, he maintained much more respect than weaker men. This is a man who can learn better, think better, do better.

(Can you tell that I am passionate about witnessing change for the better? The election of Trump has made it all the more important to develop paths to move away from that hatred. Gabe is so much further along than the other men we discuss, and I think I have globbed on because I see the start of a mindset away from Quiverfull. He may not "deserve a cookie", but he does deserve some validation for being somewhat different than the other men and stakeholders we rightly criticize)

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

58 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

He is a man who has grown up in the extreme patriarchy, and you cannot fault him for his upbringing. But he is also a man who so obviously not only loves his wife, but also respects his wife and her talents. That respect beams through all of his interactions here, and his online presence. (What little I see, that is)

You cannot be a Quiverfull and Fungelical man while also respecting your wife and attempting to defend her at the same time. You just can't. For example, no man stood up for Kelly when she was being harassed on the plane. Those guys just spread their legs and fantasied about revenge while leaving her miserable.

First of all, allow me to applaud your optimism in these challenging times. It’s always good to notice how things can be better and where improvements are occurring.

But I have to disagree a bit here. Gabe is definitely not the first “patriarch” to head to FJ with some mansplainin’ on his mind. Once things got too critical and in-depth, he disappeared. I know I wrote out a pretty detailed bit  about points of view and historical perspective and by that time, he’d basically fled FJ. 

That’s okay and hopefully he’s been reading and considering responses. I know one FJ member has pointed out that he’s visited more than once since taking his vow of silence, but AFAIK, he’s not returned to formally bow out, continue conversations, or respond to previous comments. 

Again, no one is forced to participate in FJ. But to head over here with his level of pomposity and then depart silently doesn’t leave me with the best taste. 

This isn’t supposed to be super dark. I do hope for the best for all of them and I hope they continue to learn and grow from a variety of sources. But he’s only spent a smidgen of time here and didn’t seem to exhibit much growth; I rather recall him digging his heels in on a number of points.

That’s okay, too. It usually takes a long time for true growth to occur. Hopefully he’ll decide to take those steps and remove certain blinders from his eyes.

But I’m not sure if he’s yet won those accolades. From the last encounters, I’d still deem him a work in progress. That’s far better than hopeless (paging Cabinetman), but it’s also quite a ways from the finish line. 

Edited by apandaaries
Autocorrect and other riffles...sigh.
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

I just agreed with both @FilleMondaine and @apandaaries, which may seem contradictory.   I thought they both made very good points.  

@Gabe, if you want to visit here anonymously then don't log in.  Most of Free Jinger (including this thread) is public and visible to guests.  You won't be able to give reputation or comment as a guest, that is all.

Really, compared to some of our other Fundie visitors, Gabe is a  cuddly teddy bear.  He's young, arrogant, and has been raised with a very narrow Fungelical outlook.  I think it shocked his socks off when he had his tail handed to him by a bunch of  educated women who applied logic to their arguments. 

I have hopes for Gabe, as I do for most of the people we discuss here.  He may be learning things reading FJ.  He may work his way out of his more Patriarchal leanings.  Time will tell.  Of course he may be lurking to try to hone his arguments to fight back at us better.  He's not obliged to participate, however.

It looks as though he is doing his best to make Brigie happy.  I wish them and the little Brigriels well.

Also I have something of a soft spot for Gabe because he has a sense of humor.  He did not take offense when I called his giant sporran a yeti pelt. ;)

• Upvote 13

On 8/28/2019 at 10:28 PM, apandaaries said:

Again, no one is forced to participate in FJ. But to head over here with his level of pomposity and then depart silently doesn’t leave me with the best taste. 

I am sure I left some dead horses unbeaten when I "left" but I have not exactly left silently. I still follow this thread and say hi every now and then.

When I was more active here I had a desk job that left me hours of unused time where I was basically on-call. I used some of my boredom to interact with folks here especially as I couldn't bring my more creative pursuits to work with me in that environment.

I have since moved more towards my creative pursuits and left the temporary desk job behind which takes far more of my time and energy. So fortunately or unfortunately for FJ "debating" with people on the opposite end of the political spectrum online just seems like the very worst use of my time that I can imagine.

I hope that explains why I have had very little to do with FJ in the last couple of years. Brigid and children are doing well. 

Really, compared to some of our other Fundie visitors, Gabe is a  cuddly teddy bear.  He's young, arrogant, and has been raised with a very narrow Fungelical outlook.  I think it shocked his socks off when he had his tail handed to him by a bunch of  educated women who applied logic to their arguments. 

I am still very amused at your imaginative view of me. I appreciate about half of what you say but then every now and then you just remind me why we're on opposite "sides" of the cultural conversation. My perspective of course is that I didn't have my tail handed to me and that the logic applied was specious at best. But I am pretty sure we will always disagree about that.

@Gabe, if you want to visit here anonymously then don't log in.  Most of Free Jinger (including this thread) is public and visible to guests.  You won't be able to give reputation or comment as a guest, that is all.

I know, I am not hiding. I work in the tech world and can easily make my presence "invisible" if I want.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Gabe said:

My perspective of course is that I didn't have my tail handed to me and that the logic applied was specious at best. But I am pretty sure we will always disagree about that.

Of course it is. It always is with the men who come here to teach the women of FJ. :laughing-jumpingpurple: They are constantly doing so well when debating they just need to stop for reasons. It totally isn't that they are losing the arguments, it is because they suddenly don't have time. Grey's Anatomy was used as an excuse once for a fundie male needing to drop out of the debate. There is always time to start never time to continue the debates as they get deeper and more difficult. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

There is always time to start never time to continue the debates as they get deeper and more difficult. 

This X a billion. Self-examination and questioning are not features of evangelical Christianity. After all, when you know you're right because God said so, what's to debate?

Thanks, @Gabe, for stopping by. I'm glad you & your family are doing well. I hope that your mention of "creative pursuits" means you're able to exercise your talents in costume design & construction, whatever the nature of your "day job."

• Upvote 7

On 8/29/2019 at 6:52 AM, Palimpsest said:

Also I have something of a soft spot for Gabe because he has a sense of humor.  He did not take offense when I called his giant sporran a yeti pelt. ;)

He does have a good sense of humor; I will give him that. I'm not sure how gracious I would be if some socially conservative leaning forum discussed my hair, my clothes, my wedding photos, and my marriage. 

I thought he was fine on this thread but still give his outburst (that pro-choicers only "pretend" to care about children) in an abortion thread some side eye. :kitty-shifty:

On 8/20/2019 at 12:24 PM, AmazonGrace said:
  Hide contents

How Do We Do It?

Pretty simple really. We don’t like to over complicate things.

Our company has honed our marketing to a point where we’re pretty darn good at it. We find and acquire deeply discounted Baltimore, MD real estate then make those properties available to you at DEEPLY discounted prices from current market value.

Well I mean, sure, selling deeply below current market value is a great investment strategy.

So I get it's scammy, but what's the scam? Like, how do they make any money out of this? Is anyone familiar enough with this type of thing to hazard a guess?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

but still give his outburst (that pro-choicers only "pretend" to care about children) in an abortion thread some side eye. :kitty-shifty:

That is a very hard statement to actually defend well. But anti-choicers will do so, and then skip out when the going gets tough in that discussion!

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I am still very amused at your imaginative view of me. I appreciate about half of what you say but then every now and then you just remind me why we're on opposite "sides" of the cultural conversation. My perspective of course is that I didn't have my tail handed to me and that the logic applied was specious at best. But I am pretty sure we will always disagree about that.

Actually the really funny thing about this is that I was 99% sure my post would snap you out from lurkdom.  

And I was correct.  Hello again, Gabe! :)

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I have not exactly left silently. I still follow this thread and say hi every now and then.

You up or down-vote to say hi.  And that is OK.  But to pretend that you were not defeated by logic is very funny.  You ran like a bunny.  Do admit it!

Seriously, @Gabe, you are a teddy bear compared to other vitriolic Fundies who have visited us here.  And that is a compliment.

And thanks for telling us that Brigie and kids are doing well.  I wish them the best.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I have since moved more towards my creative pursuits and left the temporary desk job behind which takes far more of my time and energy.

Well I wish you the best too with those creative pursuits.  But I sort of wish you still had the desk job.  Desk jobs (if you don't use them to argue on FJ) are good for paying bills.

You are a very good tailor.  Best of luck with your creative pursuits.

And how is your history curriculum getting along?

• Upvote 7

On 8/28/2019 at 9:28 PM, apandaaries said:

First of all, allow me to applaud your optimism in these challenging times. It’s always good to notice how things can be better and where improvements are occurring.

Thanks, that makes me feel really good. And you have really good points, too.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

So I get it's scammy, but what's the scam? Like, how do they make any money out of this? Is anyone familiar enough with this type of thing to hazard a guess?

I don't know, but this just screams scam. I would like to know how much they pay for the properties compared to how much they sell them for. It is easy to say they sell at a discount but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of that.  I would like to see a listing of their properties but I can't seem to find that. It is all very shady and I wouldn't trust them one bit. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic