IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 7: One Still Creative

Coconut Flan

I regularly drive for 7 - 8 hours at a time with no ill effects.  Shoot; I've driven 90 miles one way just to go yarn shopping!  I do stop every couple of hours for food, gas, and/or bathroom breaks, but it really is not that big a deal.  My kids both live 12+ hours away from me in places that are 7 hours apart from each other.  If I stopped after 5 hours, I'd spend so many days getting there I would not have time to spend with them.

Your mileage clearly varies,  No pun intended!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

One of my grandma's uncles was (in)famous in the family for driving like a maniac, and driving all over hell's half acre. Once he drove 14 hours from his hometown to Montreal, turned around the same night and drove back. I don't know if he was on drugs or what, but to this day I cannot fathom how anyone could do that.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 4

I hate driving on the highways. Mostly because of the crazy drivers who drive on them. I'm lucky in a sense that in my area of New Jersey their are so many towns around me that I can access without the highway. Like for my dog walking business I try and focus on towns that are close by to where I live. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I hate driving on the highways. Mostly because of the crazy drivers who drive on them. I'm lucky in a sense that in my area of New Jersey their are so many towns around me that I can access without the highway. Like for my dog walking business I try and focus on towns that are close by to where I live. 

Oh, I hate highways, too.  I used to have a cartoon magented to my fridge that defines someone who avoids highways as a "shunpiker."   I could drive all the way to @Shoobydoo's on surface roads if I wanted to (and I wanted to take several days doing it!) but I usually trade off driving on the highway and surface roads in an effort to balance driving comfort with time.  

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, singsingsing said:

One of my grandma's uncles was (in)famous in the family for driving like a maniac, and driving all over hell's half acre. Once he drove 14 hours from his hometown to Montreal, turned around the same night and drove back. I don't know if he was on drugs or what, but to this day I cannot fathom how anyone could do that.

I had to drive from Nova Scotia( Amherst) to where we live 70 km north of Montreal in a day. It took me 14 hours including breaks and I had our three children in the car with me (SFs 7 and 4, SC 10 months.) Mr Wrangler had had a phone interview and the company wanted the whole family to come down for him to have a second interview and for us to see the area.

We shared the driving on the way down but I had to drive back alone because Sea Filly 1 had school the next day, the day after Labour Day.

I was exhausted the following day.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I had to drive from Nova Scotia( Amherst) to where we live 70 km north of Montreal in a day. It took me 14 hours including breaks and I had our three children in the car with me (SFs 7 and 4, SC 10 months.) Mr Wrangler had had a phone interview and the company wanted the whole family to come down for him to have a second interview and for us to see the area.

We shared the driving on the way down but I had to drive back alone because Sea Filly 1 had school the next day, the day after Labour Day.

I was exhausted the following day.

Oh man, I can imagine! That is one epic car trip! Did you cut through the States or go up through New Brunswick? I figured cutting through the States would be faster, but out of curiosity I punched the route into Google Maps and apparently not! I also thought it would be a much longer trip from NS to Montreal than from the Gaspe Peninsula, but again, apparently not! Just goes to show how screwy my perception of distance and time is. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3

The  two younger children didn't have passports and at the time they had either stopped using birth certificates or were about to, so going through the US wasn't an option.

I was shocked to discover that the furthest north I've been in Canada is still south of any place I've lived in England.

• Upvote 6

well, if Dressing Your Truth and smearing yourself with lavender oil constitute work, then i guess that counts......

does Charlottte still work for her father? i can't remember whether that was a short-term project.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

That outfit is cute but not really fundie modest - not the outfit of someone who holds herself out as a beacon of religious femininity. Not too long ago one of the Boyer sisters made a big darn deal about how everyone could see they were special womanly stand-outs because of how they dress. Skinny jeans and a low v-neck blouse are not special, they're normal.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

That's actually a really good picture of her, but those jeans are awful. When did button fly come back in style? It didn't look good in the 90s, and doesn't look any better today.

God, I'm old. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

So much for modesty, I guess. They've moved on to oils.

...That may be one of the weirdest sentences I've ever written.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 15

I would be terrified of wearing those shoes on a dock, I can see me plunging head first into the water. Definitely not what I would call modest though! ;) 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

What category of godly young man are they trying to attract now, anyway (because you know that's the ultimate goal)? Are there a lot of conservative Christian guys who are into the 'sexy-but-saving-my-first-kiss-for-marriage time traveller from 1983' aesthetic?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

22 hours ago, catlady said:

well, if Dressing Your Truth and smearing yourself with lavender oil constitute work, then i guess that counts......

does Charlottte still work for her father? i can't remember whether that was a short-term project.

If I do this right, it will link to a comment with a spoiler. Under the spoiler is Charlotte saying something about dream job, startup, and being by her father’s side.

• Upvote 2

Nope. Button flys aren’t in. This has to be another terrible ThreadUp “score”. 

I wonder how much the Boyer family spent on that road trip to the oily homeland... With gas averaging $3 a gallon, and at least 8 nights in motels/hotels, plus food, swag, and new product, that had to cut into what little profit margin they were turning. 

I’ll happily do another price breakdown on Char and Jess’s oily haul when they post their unboxing. 

• Upvote 8

I'm going to quibble, button fly jeans are definitely in style. Madewell has tons of them, for example.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

15 hours ago, refugee said:

If I do this right, it will link to a comment with a spoiler. Under the spoiler is Charlotte saying something about dream job, startup, and being by her father’s side.

You did it right.  Thanks.

Yeah, Charlotte is homesick for wardrobe and work by Daddy's side.

Can I be really honest for a sec?

Sure.

I was incredibly homesick on this trip. I left at a time in which the start-up I work for was going through major moves forward... and I had to keep up with it all through texting with my Dad.

Poor baby.  Perhaps you should have stayed at work not taken off in pursuit of oils.  Not every employer would have let you do that during a busy perriod.

I would turn on my playlist that I listen to all the time at my job, only to find my heart longing to be back at work with every mile we crossed.

The grass is always greener ...

Is it weird to be homesick for your work team?

Yes.  And you are being over-dramatic again.

I like to believe it’s a sign that you’ve probably landed your dream job.

I hope this one of Daddy's start ups doesn't go down the tubes.  It is hardly an original idea and I don't have big hopes for it.

I went on this trip to find clarity for the direction for my life, and I can safely say I found it. I know where I belong in this season (because it is a season): it’s by my Dad’s side at one of the most incredible start-ups in the world.

There's nothing like a long road trip to an Oily MLM convention to find clarity for the direction of your life! 

Perhaps Charlotte has decided the MLM isn't worth the money they are losing.  I hope so.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 19

Let me start off this comment by saying I think Charlotte looks hella cute in that photo and I actually like the jeans. The shoes are fabulous, though without breaking my ankle. And I don't find anything scandalous or immodest about the outfit, I'm wearing a shirtdress with a similar neckline to work today. It's adorable.

But... I agree with the previous posts about her transition from a modesty blogger to just a normal human. People's styles change, people grow up and want to wear different things, and that's cool, my style changed dramatically from 14 to 24. Apart from Charlotte's transition into jeans way back when, we haven't heard much about their change in beliefs. Now, normally I wouldn't consider someone's clothing choices an outward declaration of ideology, BUT that's what they claimed/blogged about for years. They spent their formative years talking about how skirts and vintage are an outward projection of their femininity and Christianity, and how it made them special/more traditional/holier than thou. In a few years, though, they're wearing normal human clothes... are they less feminine? Are they less Christian? Less holier than thou? (haha no, they'll always be a holier than thou) Have their beliefs changed at all?

Vintage has been replaced by MLMs and they've just been moving through phases, as teens and young adults do. Now, there seems to be little to no focus on modesty- they don't dress scantily, they just don't talk about it anymore. Which is fine, but when you declare yourself as a role model for young women and girls through your blog... it's mixed messages. It's confusing. You "find yourself" and "change your whole outlook on life" every year or so- that's fine, that's part of growing up, but the fact that it's presented as "THIS IS WHO I AM NOW FOREVER lol just kidding next month it'll be a different me" on a public blog... I dunno. Kinda odd.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Charlotte’s dream is to watch her dad present something about his startup? Daddy daughter relationships like this are a little bit creepy. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Charlotte's going a little cray-cray about her work lately.

She probably has a crush on a coworker. Second guy from the left, anyone?

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 8.51.35 AM.png

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I've never "dreamed of the day" that I'd get to see anyone I know do something work-related. I might be mildly curious, or I might think it would be fun to shadow someone if they have an extra-interesting job, but dreaming of watching someone give a pitch?  Uh, no, I can't relate to that. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

I don't understand why that "dream" couldn't have been realized at an established company. I spent a lot of time at both my parents' workplaces as a child and teen. I went for special events--I'm assuming a "pitch" would cover that--as well as just killing time while my parents finished up. Hell, I had to spend an afternoon at my dad's office when I came home for Christmas one year while in my mid-twenties. Granted I was finishing up papers after my first quarter of grad school while being hit on by people until they realized who I was the bosses' daughter. My dad's office was on a closed military base at the time. Why was Charlotte not allowed to fulfill such a basic dream? 

This family is so odd. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I feel like Charlotte's dreams change every day of the week. Who knows what her next dream will be? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic