IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 7: One Still Creative

Coconut Flan

Yes, absolutely. That was supposed to be the conclusion of my two posts. It was difficult to reconcile as a teenager but in the end I’ve settled nicely with my past. I am blessed to have decent people (even the difficult ones) in my immediate and fairly extended family tree.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

I was thinking today how incredibly odd it would be if I were worried all the time about what religion people think I am. I don't think it's ever crossed my mind, which I acknowledge is a privilege--I know there are some people whose religious beliefs (or appearance as a believer of a certain faith) put them at-risk for hate crimes, and I could definitely see how that is a huge concern. But worried that someone in Ohio in 2018 is going to think I'm a Catholic instead of a Protestant? That's weird. I mean, I live in a heavily Catholic town and have traditionally Irish coloring (dark hair, freckles, and sunburned if I stay out for ten minutes in the sun skin), but if someone (and it's probably happened? I guess?) thinks I'm Catholic, well. My day goes on, because it's never come up in conversation. And if it did I'd just say "Oh I was raised Episcopalian," like a normal human being would respond. Surely if God is omnipotent, he realizes that these ladies are OMG staunch Presbyterians, and isn't that all that matters? 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 11

My husband was brought to America when he was 3 months from Belfast by his parents to escape the troubles. It was terribly sad and painful as it meant leaving behind family members in hopes of providing a better life for their children. The ignorance of these girls is shameful, and it unintentionally mocks the suffering of others. I don't care how Protestant you are ladies, it's un-Christlike behaviour. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

It doesn't bother me if people think I'm Catholic. I look like a good Irish-Catholic with my red hair, pale skin, and freckles. That being said the only time that I will mention that I am Catholic is when I'm being asked about my personal relationship with Jesus, Dear Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, please leave me alone! 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, Gary Young (founder of the oil pyramid scheme they're obsessed with) drowned his newborn daughter during delivery in 1982

I did not know this so I googled it. I have always had a fear about water births because while it might be nice for the mother is makes no physiologic sense for the baby. I've always worried that a child might drown or suffer near drowning if the first breath they take means they swallow a lot of water. I've also worried that with the not yet mature immune system a newborn has that any bacteria/viruses in the water might be problematic if the baby swallows the water.... and here are my fears made real. Sad to think they could have had a healthy baby if only they had chosen a traditional birthing method. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

I did not know this so I googled it. I have always had a fear about water births because while it might be nice for the mother is makes no physiologic sense for the baby. I've always worried that a child might drown or suffer near drowning if the first breath they take means they swallow a lot of water. I've also worried that with the not yet mature immune system a newborn has that any bacteria/viruses in the water might be problematic if the baby swallows the water.... and here are my fears made real. Sad to think they could have had a healthy baby if only they had chosen a traditional birthing method. 

I believe they kept the baby under the water for an HOUR, so it was less birthing choice and more batshit crazy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 8
  • I Agree 2

He tried several different alternative medicine scams before getting into essential oils, including running an unlicensed birth center in his Washington "health clinic" that killed his daughter, and then a detox cancer clinic in Mexico that caused many more deaths. He should have been in jail long before creating YL. Initially, he was marketing the oils under the pretense that they cured cancer and depression, until those claims became forbidden by the FDA. 

It boggles my mind that anyone would want to participate in this lunatic's business. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9

4 hours ago, FiddleDD said:

I believe they kept the baby under the water for an HOUR, so it was less birthing choice and more batshit crazy. 

This. ^ some of the best hospitals in my area do waterbirths. The baby is out of the water in 30 seconds. What Young did was negligent and ignorant and is in no way a picture of what a proper watetbirth should be. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, FiddleDD said:

Wait. What? Why did authorities not charge them with a crime if they kept the baby under water for an HOUR?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

6 hours ago, FiddleDD said:

Yeah, Gary "believed" that babies could breathe underwater or some shit. With what a piece of shit he is, I think it was deliberate. 

And his rabidly pro-life PROTECT THE BAYBEEEEEZ followers mourned him like Princess Fucking Diana. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1

If my Girl would even attempt to drive sich a distance alone I would call her sanity into question. I think (hope) that Jessica and Chaflotte, if she has the permit, would take turns driving and relieve their mother. 

I found their Instagram story odd, Charlotte always glanced at her right side and her arm was at an odd angle. Almost like she held onto someone/something. Also her sister walked slightly behind her. 

8 hours ago, Jeronimo said:

Those girls look so happy to be at the YL convention. 

If they find so much joy in oils - good for them! 

Nope. Their joy is coming from a pyramid scheme. From a company founded by a guy who put lives in danger and killed his own child. They're supporting a scheme dedicated to defrauding (in the real sense, not the fundie sense) people of their money and dignity. They're hurting themselves and hurting others with this nonsense. I can't say 'good for them'. Good for them if they find joy in college classes, sewing, knitting, skydiving, marathon running, reading, painting, starting an actual small business... anything so long as it's not a cult-like entity that hurts people. You'd think that would be a pretty low bar to meet, but apparently not!

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Jeronimo said:

I'm glad they're happy but sad that it's this particular organisation

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Jeronimo said:

They find joy in a pyramid scheme that encourages its cult followers to prey on ill, vulnerable, desperate people and make wild, patently bullshit claims about the efficacy of stuff that smells nice and that's pretty much it (also stuff that can poison and kill your pets and give your children chemical burns if you're dumb enough to use it undiluted, and considering that the Boyer sisters are a couple tacos short of a combo plate, I wouldn't put that past them). Not good for them. 

• Upvote 18

Finding joy in buying into a scam and then proceeding to attempt to scam others isn't something I will be happy for someone about. 

• Upvote 19

32 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

if you're dumb enough to use it undiluted, and considering that the Boyer sisters are a couple tacos short of a combo plate, I wouldn't put that past them). Not good for them. 

To be fair, the Boyer sisters finally got around to putting up a tutorial on how to dilute the oils in April.  And they recommend expensive YL vegetable oil complex as a carrier oil first, of course.  http://b-well.co/2018/04/26/a-guide-to-diluting-essential-oils/

I don't know enough about it to judge whether their ratios make sense.  However, I think this is rather dangerous advice - especially regarding recommending using oils on babies:

For children, always, always dilute 50/50-20/80, and even more with babies. Remember that essential oils are powerful, and even though it may not seem like 1 drop will do much, that one drop contains highly concentrated therapeutic properties of that plant, and should be used wisely & respectfully.

And very carefully.

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Finding joy in buying into a scam and then proceeding to attempt to scam others isn't something I will be happy for someone about. 

Quite.  I really hope they find something else to earn money with very soon.  They don't seem to get that it is a scam and are neck deep in believing the claptrap themselves.

On the bright side, they don't seem very good at selling oils scamming and may already be losing money.  I hope they get out before they lose too much.

• Upvote 13

13 hours ago, Jeronimo said:

I don't think they're the least bit happy. I think they are putting on happy faces. Those two are just drifting. 

Even if they were happy. I cannot support MLMs. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

@ViolaSebastian if it's any comfort I did one of those schemes as a teen where we went to Washington state as a cross community group. We were crying on the way home but it was because we gelled really well as a group and we were going to miss each other. Oh and one guy was upset because in his 3 weeks in Oregon he managed to get engaged to a local and was upset leaving her:my_confused:

So maybe that was part of it with the kids you saw? I hope so anyway.

I originally was coming on to say that life growing up in NI was fairly normal. But then someone set fireworks off at the resort we're staying in, my fight or flight kicked in and my husband had to quickly remind me it was just fireworks before I hurt one of the kids by hitting the deck with them.   So it wasn't that normal a place to grow up really since 20 years later I still have that reaction to loud noises.

• Love 12

Gosh, I don't mean to say this in a mean or disparaging way, but Jessica's acne does nothing to help sell the oils. If YL is supposed to bring balance and change your DNA, why does she still have such bad acne? How can she dismiss medical advancements as "toxic" when her "natural products" are clearly doing nothing? 

Again, I don't want to say that in a way to put her down because of her looks. I had terrible acne and still struggle with it if I don't use the right products. But I wouldn't want an overweight weight loss coach for the same reason. 

• Upvote 8

On 6/15/2018 at 12:56 AM, CoalMiningGuy said:

If my Girl would even attempt to drive sich a distance alone I would call her sanity into question. I think (hope) that Jessica and Chaflotte, if she has the permit, would take turns driving and relieve their mother. 

I’ve made a similar distance drive by myself a couple of times.  Road trips aren’t really my thing and I’d prefer company but I don’t mind being alone either. My sanity is still intact. 

• Upvote 3

Anything above 5 hours of driving is too much for one person to drive in one go without at least a solid hour of rest. But that is just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Their dilution recommendations seems really off.   50-50??? The company I buy my oils from has this to say for their lavender:  Dilution: Dilute at a percentage of 1% of the finished blend, typically 20 drops or 1ml of essential oil to 100ml of carrier oil. Do not use undiluted on the skin. You can use up to 3% dilution for use on your body or in the bath.

I guess that's the difference between a company trying to sell stuff and a pyramid scheme.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Charlotte loves Colorado. 

Spoiler

Didn't read the caption. It was too damn long! Ain't no one got time for that! 

• Haha 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic