IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 7: One Still Creative

Coconut Flan

Fashionista since 1999. Cincinnati girl with a love for beautiful clothes and a well curated life.

Style is fun, so let’s play!

This is my place to pursue my love of style and a well curated life. I’m a designer by trade, but clothing is my muse. Hope we can have some fun together. 

How do I know if I have a well curated life? 

I have always had a love for ethnic-inspired clothing... exotic embroidery and dynamic jewelry, all grounded in a rich historic past... inspiring pieces that are just straight-up fun to wear. 

What happened to wearing her truth or whatever the hell that was? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

Perhaps that was too dull for even her.

I raise an eyebrow at ethnic clothing.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

It's a lotta something, but "style" isn't the word that comes to mind.

Edited by AnnaSofia
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

"Curated" is a buzz word in style blogger/influencer culture. Or rather it was awhile ago, I think it's been over-used that most people are moving away from it now. In that context it basically just means having a specific look/aesthetic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Can someone fill me in on what a "well curated life" is supposed to be?

I am just guessing but I suspect lies, self deception, and more lies go into that "well curated life."  The Boyer Sisters conveyed that "perfect" life until it fell apart.

The "well curated life" is apparently a mirage for claiming to be mentors worthy of emulation and being incredibly self-congratulatory - until the dreams fell apart.

The Boyer sisters pretended their lives were just perfect.  Acne, eating disorders, chuck Mom under the bus. and all.

Until - let us give a synopsis:

Daddy Boyer lost his job, they had to move to a not so nice house, and Brigid snagged a husband but poor Jessica's engagement fell apart.

So Jess and Charlotte  decided their lives were really shitty because no marriage.  No boyfriends.  And Brigie dared to marry! 

Lack of Brigie's direction in singing, blogging and general creativity on the Boyer Sisters' Blog really was the death knell.  Brigie really seems to have been the guiding light there.  The other two fell apart when she was gone.  And acne.  Don't forget the acne.  Daddy Boyer - get those girls to a dermatologist.  I have enormous sympathy about the acne but YL pseudo-science isn't helping.

Jess and Charlotte fell for the YL scam instead of developing their talents - at FJ we all mourned and warned!  The YL thingie seems to have fallen by the wayside.  I'm glad and I hope they didn't lose too much money on the MLM.

However, Jessica and Charlotte also have talents.  They need to move forward and use those talents.  I want Jessica to succeed although I do not have high hopes for her.  I want her to prove me wrong.

Charlotte seems to have much more potential, but I will suggest to Charlotte that yet another Instagram account on "style" is not the best idea.  The curly hair thing didn't work either.  I do have to give her points for trying because  Charlotte seems less stuck than Jess.  At least she is coming up with new ideas.

Young ladies - please get yourselves to community college.  Knuckle down and learn some stuff about business.  And grammar.  And life.  Claiming to be "creatives" isn't going to cut it.  Even creative types need to learn some "hard" stuff to succeed  in life.  

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Looks like Charlotte's off of the YL face stuff and on something called "Curology," which looks like a subscription.

Curology is a telemedicine subscription that gives you access to a dermatologist and semi-customized prescription acne medication based on communications with them and pictures of your face. I've had very good experiences with it as someone for whom going to the dermatologist is a hassle. It's not an MLM and is a damn sight better than using oils.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 8

9 minutes ago, mswhatsit said:

Ethnic clothing? Please tell me she is joking about that phrase. Right? 

Well, I wish. I doubt it though. :P

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mswhatsit said:

Ethnic clothing? Please tell me she is joking about that phrase. Right

Probably not.  The Boyers are famously tone-deaf about things like that.  They had fun wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day, after all.

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Well, I wish. I doubt it though. :P

To what post are you both referring?   I must have missed something as usual. ;)

And lookie here.  Are my eyes deceiving me or did Charlie http://lottaswebdesign.com/ work on James and Stacy McDonald's  new webpage?  http://jamesandstacy.com/about/

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

To what post are you both referring?   I must have missed something as usual. ;)

I was trying to remember exactly where I saw it, but I was mostly laughing at Charlotte in "ethnic" clothing. It's one of those times where I don't think she has a clue what she means. So it made me think her posting about a skirt that Brigid had made her that was a "bold African printed cotton." She probably thinks that patterns are ethnic.

• Thank You 2

47 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It is from the new clothing Instagram. She says.

have always had a love for ethnic-inspired clothing..

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 9/17/2018 at 9:01 PM, Carm_88 said:

So it made me think her posting about a skirt that Brigid had made her that was a "bold African printed cotton."

Ugh, I remember that skirt annoying so much me (#cultural appropriation) but it's still better than lumping everything under the "ethnic" term. WIsh she'd say what part of Africa the print was from. But maybe like most of the US she still views Africa as having a monolithic culture. 

Though, I sound like an elitist for typing that. Know that I don't mean it that way. 

• Upvote 4

Now she deems that the "savior" of her acne-prone skin is a new miracle product called Curology. It's subscription-based ($19.95/month), developed by a doctor-turned-entrepreneur, and heavily marketed through social media.

It's supposed to offer a personalized formula but is definitely not chemical free. 

Not a word on Young Living anymore. 

ETA: How did I miss that was all discussed above? Sorry!!! Glad to hear it's worked for some of you and that she moved on from oils. 

Edited by usedbicycle
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I’m fascinated by Curology. Doubtful but fascinated. The only damn thing working on me is birth control. My cystic acne all seems to be hormonal. It cleared up in a month after I went back on. The dermatologist failed completely. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

I use Curology to get Rx-only topical tretinoin for anti-aging purposes, because it's much cheaper than a dermatologist and whatever CVS wants to charge for Retin-A.  As an added bonus, the other 2 ingredients in my formula have helped reduce the persistent facial redness I've had for most of my life.  The 2-month bottle ($39.95) actually lasts closer to 3-4 months using 2 pumps nightly, in my experience.  It's not a miracle product and it's not going to solve everyone's skin issues but if you have mild non-hormonal acne or want tretinoin without finding a dermatologist locally, they do use proven ingredients (azelaic acid, niacinamide, tretinoin, vitamin C, and a couple of others more specifically targeted for acne) in their formulations and it is not an MLM.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Brigid & Gabe are expecting again.

Well… I suppose this is a strange way to introduce it, but my dear Tailor Husband and I are expecting a new bundle of joy, late next Spring! I am SO, so excited and overjoyed!! Adding a new little one to our family tree is such a blessing and honor. Motherhood is a calling I hold sacred and dear. But I feel sad that this little blog and business over here are getting neglected.

And she's stopping blogging / her business, at least for now:

It feels so hard to say this, especially only just over a year after starting this blog, but I think I need to step back from this blog, from this business. I’m crying over here as I contemplate setting aside this little dream of mine. But I’m not setting it aside for nothing! No! I’m setting it aside to focus on the biggest, most amazing dream of my life, and that is the life I am living, the family I am raising, the calling that God has placed first in my life after serving Him with everything I do.

So, I bid you all farewell for now.

https://brijeepatterns.wordpress.com/2018/11/16/what-do-you-do-when-your-clothes-dont-fit/

• Thank You 9

I follow Brigid's blog (not to snark; I like reading it & seeing her patterns. Tonight she announced that she's stepping back from the blog & her pattern business because she's pregnant again & wants to devote her time & energy to her family. No snark on that from me; I quit work & stayed home with my kids when they were little. She just seems so sad about it.

ETA @jakesykora you beat me to it, lol! I just read her email.

Edited by FeministShrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

It’s sad to me if it’s sad for her. I hope she isn’t constantly pregnant for the next decade if she really enjoys her work. Because it will be very hard to do both without hiring help. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

Brigid’s blog is so lovely and I’ll be sad not to see more posts from her. It’s evident now how much she was the driving force behind the charm of the original Boyer Sisters image.  I wish her all the best with motherhood and would love to see more of her family life - I’m very nosy! This family has always fascinated me.

And the other two... where are they? B well has certainly petered out... how much money did they lose? What was it that burst the bubble?

If you girls are reading this - you could not have tried harder and did everything you could think of to make it work - but it’s not a system designed for you to succeed but a method of separating you from your money and making it seem like it’s your fault.

Jessica and Charlotte - how are things lately?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

@Jeronimo, you said it. A system designed to separate people from their money, even as it’s being pushed as a viable and even fun option to generate income. Very tempting to those who are strapped for funds. Fits into the Calvinist teachings (I don’t know if this is in calvin’s writings but the Boyers would be very familiar with the teachings in churches that identify as Calvinist) that all you’ve got to do is try a little harder. Failure is always your fault.

With their brand of checklist christianity, it’s easy to fall into the mental trap that good times mean God’s blessing is on you because you’re doing it right, and disasters and distresses are either God’s way of getting your attention because you’re doing it wrong, or else God just (randomly) deliberately “in love” throws shit at you so he can glorify himself by working everything to good. Somehow.

Their religion works best for families where the dad makes above-average income, the mom has the capacity to present herself and her house in a picture-perfect way, and no special-needs kids are born into the family.

And it’s all on account of God’s goodness, er, their own efforts and success in doing it (the checklist) right. Even though they’d insist on “Grace alone” (Sola gratia, if I remember right) as one of their precepts.

Because in their religion, we’re all worms, and we really deserve nothing. But people who are materially blessed are more worthy than others, because despite their worminess, they’ve been doing it “righter” than all the other poor schmucks.

Mama and Papa Boyer must have been so bewildered when their fortunes took a downturn. 

ETA: sorry for the long post. I got upset because I’m thinking of a young second-gen fundie who is starting, so far as I can tell, on her fifth MLM.

But MLMs fit perfectly in the “just gotta work a little harder” religion. It’s exhausting.

Edited by refugee
Dratted autocorrect
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic