IGNORED

IHOP changing its name

47of74

The food place, not the prayer place.

It’s not exactly an international crisis, but many people are confused why IHOP ― aka the International House of Pancakes ― is changing its name after 60 years.

The pancake chain announced Monday on Twitter that starting June 11, “IHOP” would now be “IHOb.”

However, they left out one teensy-weensy, itty-bitty little detail: What the “b” stands for.

Maybe this?

beer.jpg.8729cd606ec1667097430433c2eb3e87.jpg

One can always hope.... :)

Maybe it is an attempt to differentiate themselves from that other IHOP too.

and why is it lower-case?  

i'm 12, so i'll say IHOboogers.

Lowercase b so it makes a little face (see the link to huffpo. - my guess is B for breakfast since pancakes are carbs and the diet trends are gluten free/keto/high protein etc.  

oh, ok, now i see it.  i scrolled by too quickly the first time and thought it was just a red underscore.  thanks! 

For 60 pancakin’ years, we’ve been IHOP. Now, we’re flippin’ our name to IHOb

It also looks like an upside down P that way.  To go with the "flippin' our name" thing.

The “ob” reminds me of the ob tampon logo.

21 minutes ago, smittykins said:

The “ob” reminds me of the ob tampon logo.

This was my view of unfortunate ad placement as I was reading the Huffpo article linked above: 

Screenshot 2018-06-07 at 6.25.36 PM.png

But back to the topic at hand.  You know how sometimes you can spot a bad idea from miles away?  You know it's lame, can't be made right and will limp along into oblivion?  IHOb is like that.  It just can't work.  IHOP makes you feel kinda hoppity, while IHOb makes you feel like you might want to, well, hobble along.  As one tweeter noted in that article, I'll just call it House of Bancakes. 

On 6/6/2018 at 2:41 PM, catlady said:

and why is it lower-case?  

i'm 12, so i'll say IHOboogers.

I was going with IHObarf...

On 6/6/2018 at 2:01 PM, 47of74 said:

The food place, not the prayer place.

Maybe this?

beer.jpg.8729cd606ec1667097430433c2eb3e87.jpg

One can always hope.... :)

Maybe it is an attempt to differentiate themselves from that other IHOP too.

The heat is making me cranky, so I was hoping the name change would be something like Pancakes, Dammit! 

25 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

The heat is making me cranky, so I was hoping the name change would be something like Pancakes, Dammit! 

Or maybe Give Me Some Fornicating Pancakes, Dammit!  (GMSFPD)

Hey, from midnight to 5am, they could be the International House of Drunk People Eating Some Fornicating Pancakes, Dammit! or IHODPESFPD.

On that note, I was watching an episode of Monk a couple of weeks ago and thought of you. The episode was where Monk goes to NYC in hopes of finding information about who killed his wife. Anyhoo, he gets separated from the group he came with, has some kind of breakdown, and when they finally find him, he's with this street preacher. Monk is banging a tambourine and he and the street preacher are both yelling about the evil fornicators in the world. 

I start laughing hysterically, and Mr.Cartmann99 turns and looks at me and asks if this is another Free Jinger thing. I just dabbed my eyes and said yup.

I was gonna guess b for "batter", thinking maybe they're putting waffles and crepes and scones on the same level as pancakes.

But the lower case thing, plus all the bad marketing ju-ju (the sounding-like-they-have-a-cold thing, the ob tampon thing, and the hobble thing) makes that seem unlikely and the change still very much a mystery.  It's not April Fools Day.  Has The Onion been around lately?  Nothing else makes sense.

10 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

It's not April Fools Day.  Has The Onion been around lately?  Nothing else makes sense.

I actually went to look it up on Snopes, but when I googled, it was all over mainstream news. 

I do think it is a publicity stunt; I seriously doubt they will be really changing their name.  I'm sure it's all just to promote some menu changes or something.

If it's not international house of butts, I'l be so, so disappointed. :obscene-buttsmiley:

On 6/8/2018 at 11:41 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

If it's not international house of butts, I'l be so, so disappointed. :obscene-buttsmiley:

International House of Butt Load of Carbs

On 6/7/2018 at 11:57 PM, SilverBeach said:

It'll be like when the Sears Tower was sold and got a new name. We still call it Sears Tower.

I refuse to say Reagan National Airport. It was and always will be simply National.

22 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Apparently, they announced today that it's Burgers.  

Well that's original.  IHOb, it has a certain ring to it.........said no one ever. 

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Apparently, they announced today that it's Burgers.  

Are they redoing the menu to focus on burgers? 

51 minutes ago, Howl said:

Well that's original.  IHOb, it has a certain ring to it.........said no one ever. 

Please tell me this was an in-house idea, because it they paid an outside agency for this idea, then they should ask for a refund.

I'm going to just go to my safe place, which is to pretend that this is a piece in The Onion.

In our area, ihop is on Cox Road.  "ihop on Cox"  will be missed.  

Archived