IGNORED

Maxwell 21: Deliberately Hiding the Truth Again

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

No need for that - all the students would be male. No good fundie woman would want or need a tertiary education when they can learn all they need to know in the home, right?

Not even online education taken from the "safety of home" has been considered as far as we can determine.  Lord knows Sarah could do with a few writing courses.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn’t it Jesse who wanted to be a missionary and Steve struck that down? Even Christian based jobs that require higher education are out in his world. Jesse would have to travel and be outside the Maxwell borg. Any dream these kids have had Steve has found a way to crush it. Anyone else notice Jesse is no longer following the marines on twitter? I bet Steve told him the military is bad and only follow what pertains to his job...what an asshole. 

We know for certain Chris had an interest in becoming a paramedic as Steve talked about it in his preparing sons book.

He shot the idea down because  a.) Chris might have to work shifts and be away from his future family, and b.) Chris might have to work with women.

Anyone who read that book and still thinks Steve is someone to look up to and emulate is just as awful as Steve.

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I think Steve would approve nursing/midwifery, medicine, music, children's ministry and missions studies as suitable for women, but that's about it.

And Hyles-Anderson college even has a Marriage and Motherhood program for the ladies (because nothing says Serious Academic Institution like a unit in crock pot cookery). Steve would never admit it, but I'm sure the Maxwell girls would have been married by now - and definitely better cooks - if they'd attended it. 

Not midwifery because midwives have to attend births at all hours, so wouldn't be available to meet the needs of their headships.

I can just see the final exam for Marriage and Motherhood.

• Crockpots and Instant Pots:  Compare and Contrast
  • List the 5 most versatile seasoning packets and give an alternative use for each one.
  • Multi-tasking: how, when, and why. Include at least one activity that you might accomplish during sex.
  • The art of subliminal suggestion: write a prayer that your headship will pick up a pizza on the way home. Extra points for including appropriate essential oils.
  •  

6 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Not midwifery because midwives have to attend births at all hours, so wouldn't be available to meet the needs of their headships.

• List the 5 most versatile seasoning packets and give an alternative use for each one.
  • Multi-tasking: how, when, and why. Include at least one activity that you might accomplish during sex.
  • The art of subliminal suggestion: write a prayer that your headship will pick up a pizza on the way home. Extra points for including appropriate essential oils.
  •  

• What is the most prudent way to purchase material for jumpers?

a) Each girl gets a coupon and cash and they pick out their own material

b) Each girl gets a coupon and cash and Dad picks out their own material

c) Dad picks out the material they will all use

• What are the three best components of hospitality?

a) hot dogs, picnic eggs, guests willingness to stand in case Dad is relying on you praying for him to tell to expand the table

b) hot dogs, picnic eggs, and waiting to have the event when the Lord has finally led Dad to let you expand the table

c) Mom’s salad, homemade tortillas, and Bible Time

d) Mom’s salad, taco soup, and making sure female guests are aware they are not in Dad’s line of sight, no matter how obscure that could be, when leaning forward to pick up their child 

• How do you know when the Lord is leading you to write something?

a) It is something specifically for Titus2 ministries 

b) It is confirmed through 3 family members

c) It is confirmed through Dad 

d) You feel right about it (hint: read this question very carefully)

On 6/30/2018 at 8:23 AM, SPHASH said:

Sorry for all the caps in my comment above.  I was really angry after reading that post and their arrogant smug attitude.  What sucks the most about this is Coward Steve got an education most likely paid for by the taxpayers via the GI Bill.  And they have passed on their smug attitude towards college to their offspring.  Here's another trip down memory lane via Goofy Anna.  https://blog.titus2.com/2011/01/08/am-i-going-to-college/

Her bit about every person who ever goes to college loses their spirituality is in direct conflict with the parents finding Jesus at a secular school. I like how she says it was her idea not to go to college. I remember reading that the first time, hard to believe it's been 5yrs already. 

13 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

Her bit about every person who ever goes to college loses their spirituality is in direct conflict with the parents finding Jesus at a secular school. I like how she says it was her idea not to go to college. I remember reading that the first time, hard to believe it's been 5yrs already. 

I thought the same thing!!

10 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Essay question: Knife or pizza cutter—which is the superior choice for slicing lettuce and why? (25% of final exam score)

Holy shit, there really is a crock pot class.  Not until junior years, though.  Wth.  

So here are my thoughts- that courseload (here: https://hylesanderson.edu/marriage-and-motherhood/) made me chuckle.  But at least there’s a class in personal finance and it’s heavy on God.  At LEAST kids who do this meet some other people outside their direct community.  The fact he wouldn’t even allow a school like this totally blows my mind, and there’s no way this is the only school like this in the country.  

ETA- This IS the actual “Mrs.” degree!!

55 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

Holy shit, there really is a crock pot class.  Not until junior years, though.  Wth.  

So here are my thoughts- that courseload (here: https://hylesanderson.edu/marriage-and-motherhood/) made me chuckle.  But at least there’s a class in personal finance and it’s heavy on God.  At LEAST kids who do this meet some other people outside their direct community.  The fact he wouldn’t even allow a school like this totally blows my mind, and there’s no way this is the only school like this in the country.  

That's the point though. "Kids meet some other people outside their direct community." 

It has nothing to do with academics and everything to do with Steve not trusting his kids to mix with kids who might enjoy team sports, ridicule them for not knowing what Row Row Row Your Boat is or be from families where their mothers are allowed to to order their own goddamn pizzas without getting Daddy's permission. He couldn't let them be immersed in a culture where his methods are questioned in any way and he isn't there to monitor it.

That cocoon of protection from the outside world is actually a fairly fragile bubble, and he knows it. 

20 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

•  

Sorry, those words are to big and worldly. lol

6 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Hyles Anderson is a world of its own. A bizarre place with a cult of personality centered on the founder.

The sisters return home in 2 weeks, and have been going through spiritual warfare :huh:

Just say where they are and what they're doing dammit, if I were a non-snarky reader I'd be super pissed off

7 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Hyles Anderson is a world of its own. A bizarre place with a cult of personality centered on the founder.

Sounds like it.  I want to learn more though. Hahahaha

6 minutes ago, freejugar said:

The sisters return home in 2 weeks, and have been going through spiritual warfare :huh:

Just say where they are and what they're doing dammit, if I were a non-snarky reader I'd be super pissed off

Not sure how to word this properly, but that really struck me — so you can’t go to college because of outside influences like people who watch TV, but you can go somewhere where people are engaged in “spiritual warfare”, which seems more damaging (meaning - their lives are focused on God anyway so direct subject matters revolving that seem more detrimental).

maybe the "spiritual warfare" refers to:  Mary keeps sneaking out of the dorm (or wherever the hell they're living) for lattes with the girls, and Anna has met a nice guy who is interested in a good old-fashioned courtship, but he uses the term 'deviled eggs.'

I don't understand the first generation fundie thought process in terms of their adult children. If the FGFPs* believe that armed with Jesus they have all the answers and have raised their children accordingly, why do these FGFPs not confidently allow the SGAFs** to live independent lives? The FG Duggar and Maxwell parents were allowed, as adults, to change course, yet why are their adult children not allowed to make their own decisions?

Withholding education is all about control and setting offspring up for failure.

*First Generation Fundie Parent

**Second Generation Fundie Parent

10 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I don't understand the first generation fundie thought process in terms of their adult children. If the FGFPs* believe that armed with Jesus they have all the answers and have raised their children accordingly, why do these FGFPs not confidently allow the SGAFs** to live independent lives? The FG Duggar and Maxwell parents were allowed, as adults, to change course, yet why are their adult children not allowed to make their own decisions?

Withholding education is all about control and setting offspring up for failure.

That's the riddle of it all. How was your life so wrong that you need to "protect" your children from the same stuff?? They have, apparently, happy, successful marriages (whether I agree with how they live is irrelevant). Why can't your kids do the same? So what if he has green hair (Erin!) if he's a Christian, hard-working, honest and kind?

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

As a biologist, all I can think about is evolution and survival of the fittest, lol.  If the girls aren’t allowed to meet men, they don’t have offspring and can’t share their gospel.  Therefore, less children are ultimately produced.  Now, I guess the argument could be that the men are “more important” and reproduce and are rulers of their families and perhaps this is more impactful?  The men are Of The Maxwell Religion and propagate and force their beliefs, while the women would marry other men and be subject to THEIR rules.  Not Maxwell. 

What can I say? I have a long commute.

4 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

That's the riddle of it all. How was your life so wrong that you need to "protect" your children from the same stuff?? They have, apparently, happy, successful marriages (whether I agree with how they live is irrelevant). Why can't your kids do the same? So what if he has green hair (Erin!) if he's a Christian, hard-working, honest and kind?

I kind of think if Steve hadn't fallen deep into the religion thing, he might have ended up one of those paranoid preppers building an arsenal and digging a bunker under his house, and training his kids in defense like they were growing up in boot camp. There's something not quite right there. And Teri, with her depression, just couldn't do anything about it even if she hadn't abdicated all thought to the almighty schedule.

I feel sorry for the kidults. They've been trained to be so fearful of the world that they don't even know what they might be missing.

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I kind of think if Steve hadn't fallen deep into the religion thing, he might have ended up one of those paranoid preppers building an arsenal and digging a bunker under his house, and training his kids in defense like they were growing up in boot camp. There's something not quite right there.

this made me instantly think of Ruby Ridge.  i don't remember how religious the Weavers were at that time (i think one of the daughters became a born-again Christian later), but i could see Steve being this dangerous.

Love this convoluted sentence:

"They have return tickets to come home in two weeks, and we’re excited to see how the Lord will continue to use them,"

So the Lord flies tourist class like the rest of us? Does he get frequent flier miles?

On 6/26/2018 at 1:44 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I really want to know if that house is in the Maxwell's neighborhood. It isn't a bi-level by the look of it. I grew up in such suburbia so I know there are normally 2-6 house plans in a subdivision. Could he actually have been allowed to buy a house "nearby" but not IN the neighborhood? Too much to hope for? Either he's been working on it for a while in secret or the guy who had it as a rental did some renovation from the looks of the newer siding on the front.

Oh a Waller! That would be a great bride for him! TFDW meeting Stevie! Yes!! Maybe one of Prissy's little brother's could marry poor Mary?

Got it. Jesse's house is on the same street as John's, one block west. 

Poor Sarah is trying to fill in reading to the kids while the sisters are gone.  WTF?  Sounds like she doesn't like kids.  Benji looks a lot like Abby.  Kyle is kind of homely I'm sorry to say.  Elizabeth is adorable though.

once again, Sarah's horrific caption-writing is making my brain hurt.  

Sarah, your niece live-trapped a raccoon that had been hunting her chickens.  that subject is worthy of its own post.  how did she determine the culprit was the raccoon?  did she have other deterrents that didn't work as well as the trap?  what did she use for bait in the trap?  how many nights did it take to catch it?  where did she release it?  is there a high population of raccoons in your area?    how are her remaining chickens doing?  

regarding the photo annoyingly captioned "These two.":  i love that Ellie is giving her the stink eye.  my dog does that, too.

28 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Poor Sarah is trying to fill in reading to the kids while the sisters are gone.  WTF?  Sounds like she doesn't like kids.  Benji looks a lot like Abby.  Kyle is kind of homely I'm sorry to say.  Elizabeth is adorable though.

It’s hard to say with Kyle. This is a terrible picture of him. If he was looking at the camera and smiling I bet he would be a cutie. He has that funky baby hairline that will eventually fill in. He looks a lot like Calia and she’s a cutie.

A4B6BB08-3BF5-4FC9-B15D-C819823794D8.jpeg

I agree about the raccoon comment. Have we even heard about these chickens?  It’s so weird how they do a post about freezing strawberries with 50 pictures, but this is just a caption in an update post

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s hard to say with Kyle. This is a terrible picture of him. If he was looking at the camera and smiling I bet he would be a cutie. He has that funky baby hairline that will eventually fill in. He looks a lot like Calia and she’s a cutie.

A4B6BB08-3BF5-4FC9-B15D-C819823794D8.jpeg

Yeah - I don’t like to ever crack on baby looks.  I personally think they’re all pretty cute.  But babyhood is so awkward and things change and I don’t feel right cracking on baby looks.  They make all kinds of funny facial expressions. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived