IGNORED

Maxwell 21: Deliberately Hiding the Truth Again

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, catlady said:

if Steve is actually helping his sons buy their houses by fronting the cash and they pay him back, then it's not really debt-free.  Steve likes to say debt-free, but his actions say mortgage-free; they're not the same thing.

Not sure if he's helping them, but on that note - I love how he touts how they allow their sons to live at home until they buy their first house, as if everyone has that option. Privilege much?

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

That would be amazing. Jill with her 80's hair and string of highly made up children coming in contact with Steve? :laughing-jumpingpurple: Steve couldn't keep his mouth shut and Jill would be very angry because she isn't supposed to lecture a man. Steve would not approve of anything about Jill, but her love of Judge Judy type television shows would make his head explode. Can you imagine her face as he lectures her on the Beast? 

JillRod and Steve going head to head is the fundie version of an unstoppable force meeting an immoveable object.

It would be a real Alien versus Predator situation.

I just call BS on any of them being able to buy a house debt free and fully support their families from money made through their sad Maxwell businesses. There has to be some other work out there making them money. I just don’t see a Maxwell business making money to pay salaries for all the sons and allowing them to pay cash for houses. I am trying to understand how a Maxwell business could be making Jesse, say $25,000 a year, even if he were able to save all of it after taxes. I also have a hard time believing Steve wouldn’t be expecting  rent to be paid from a working Maxwell son and would have no problem paying all of his sons’ bills.

Where is Sarah’s house? Although I doubt she has made a $100k off of her books, if the sons have made enough to buy houses outright, she should have a nice chunk of change saved since she seem to work in practically every Maxwell business and writes her books. I highly doubt Steve is saving her money to give to her future husband. Maybe the females don’t get paid and their money goes towards everyone else’s homes and families.

14 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I wouldn't wish Maxhell on most fundie girls, but I can see Jesse with Nurie Rodrigues. At least Nurie would get to live in a nice house. And wouldn't it be fun for the Maxwells to have JillRod as an in-law? :pb_twisted:

As everyone else has said, never gonna happen, but the Maxwell/Rodrigues fanfic would be amazing.

Not to mention the jam sessions. Two family bands, one stage, both sides trying to out-off-key each other, Jill calling in the musical saw for reinforcement...

Actually, scratch that—I'd love to see how Sarah would translate Rod in-laws into the Moody books. That's the material she needs to jumpstart those suckers.

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I really want to know if that house is in the Maxwell's neighborhood. It isn't a bi-level by the look of it. I grew up in such suburbia so I know there are normally 2-6 house plans in a subdivision. Could he actually have been allowed to buy a house "nearby" but not IN the neighborhood? Too much to hope for? Either he's been working on it for a while in secret or the guy who had it as a rental did some renovation from the looks of the newer siding on the front.

Oh a Waller! That would be a great bride for him! TFDW meeting Stevie! Yes!! Maybe one of Prissy's little brother's could marry poor Mary?

Yes, I was also wondering how far away his new house is from the Maxwell compound.  They probably receive alerts every time a house in the area goes on the market.

My guess is that his bride won't be anyone we've ever heard of.  They didn't seem to like the attention from the Bontrager blog, so maybe they'll go for someone like Alyssa, who doesn't have much of a social media presence.  Lack of a blog is probably on Steve's requirements list for a future DIL - his priorities are in the right place...  not...

18 hours ago, CancerBomb said:

I feel so sorry for Sarah Maxwell. It must be difficult seeing all her brothers get married and she's over here in her mid 30's, probably never even having Christian side hugged a boy. I don't understand Steve's problem, surely there are some God fearing fundie dudes out there looking for wives? Or is he convinced that Jesus Christ Himself isn't good enough for her?

No way in hell  would JC meet with Steve's approval. Not only did he not own his own home, outright or otherwise, but he made it clear he and his bride(s) would be moving into his father's house.. Mansions, shmansions. There is also the not-so-small matter of the type of people JC liked to hang out with. OTOH, he apparently did have some mad carpentry skills and he could feed an entire multitude with 5 animal crackers and 2 bean burritos.

I bet Steve and Teri have bought up loads of commercial rental properties and are living and supporting their children on the earnings. I'd bet even Christopher and Nathan's families are somewhat supported still by the Fathership.

3 hours ago, socalrules said:

I just call BS on any of them being able to buy a house debt free and fully support their families from money made through their sad Maxwell businesses. There has to be some other work out there making them money. I just don’t see a Maxwell business making money to pay salaries for all the sons and allowing them to pay cash for houses. I am trying to understand how a Maxwell business could be making Jesse, say $25,000 a year, even if he were able to save all of it after taxes.

I got my first computer around 1998 and was in an online Christian group.  We discussed the extreme Christians like the Pearls, Duggars, etc  I remember the Maxwells in the early years.  They were very big in Christian circles back in the day.  They traveled a lot and had a big following.  They paid the kids for working in the family business.  That family made a lot of money over the years.  I'm sure that they could all afford houses by the time they were 18. 

1 hour ago, crawfishgirl said:

My guess is that his bride won't be anyone we've ever heard of.  They didn't seem to like the attention from the Bontrager blog, so maybe they'll go for someone like Alyssa, who doesn't have much of a social media presence.  Lack of a blog is probably on Steve's requirements list for a future DIL - his priorities are in the right place...  not...

While I think Steve probably makes his expectations with his kids pretty clear, I've been surprised by some of the choices the men in the family have made.  The Maxwell family are pretty focused on appearances.  I would never have thought Chris would have married a meek, oversized-Amish-esque-dressing, goat-milking farmgirl.  I would not have thought John would choose someone like Chelsy - opinionated, outgoing, and definitely modern-modest in clothes/makeup.  I would have thought Joe and his charming-looking family would've been thrown out onto the blog a lot more.  With the men, I suspect that there's less control than the blog seems to make out.  

Also, Sarah seems to think Mom and Dad are gracious for letting them stay at home rent free.  Newsflash, that's become increasingly common with millennials and was always the case with lots of not-typical-white-American ethnicities.  I did the same thing 'til I was thirty and thus, I can now buy a very, very expensive house.  Mom and Dad were gracious that way, but they weren't particularly unique.  

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Well John David has taken one of the Burnett sisters but there are two left (the twins) for Jesse! And then there’s a few Wissmann girls. My guess would be Hannah. She’s close in age to Jesse. And like I said Lydia Waller is a possibility. Esther Staddon is too old I think. I wonder if the Maxwells know the Neely’s. They have some single fundie daughters. The Richardson (seven farmgirls) sisters are working girls so I think they are out.

I say no way on a Wissman girl. They wear jeans to work and hike in. They also have quite a bit of fun. All the Wissman daughters that are married have worn pants ( and shorts) regularly after marriage. 

18 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

I say no way on a Wissman girl. They wear jeans to work and hike in. They also have quite a bit of fun. All the Wissman daughters that are married have worn pants ( and shorts) regularly after marriage. 

I feel like Chelsy was such a shock (because she’s so fun and swims in shorts) that now I’m thinking a Wissmann might be ok. But I also think a Wissmann might be good for Allison Bontrager. Stephen maybe. 

9 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Oh a Waller! That would be a great bride for him! TFDW meeting Stevie! Yes!! Maybe one of Prissy's little brother's could marry poor Mary?

They appear so boring and bland whenever you get a glimpse of them that this might be a perfect match. 

Have the Maxwells ever been spotted with the Duggars after Joshgate? Or did they cut all their ties to keep their image clean?

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I feel like Chelsy was such a shock (because she’s so fun and swims in shorts) that now I’m thinking a Wissmann might be ok. But I also think a Wissmann might be good for Allison Bontrager. Stephen maybe. 

A Wissmann - Bontrager match would be awesome. I could see Allison with Stephen, Denver with Alaythia, Elizabeth and Nathanael, Hudson and Charissa. Damn there are so many possibilities with these two families!!! 

4 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Also, Sarah seems to think Mom and Dad are gracious for letting them stay at home rent free.  Newsflash, that's become increasingly common with millennials and was always the case with lots of not-typical-white-American ethnicities.  I did the same thing 'til I was thirty and thus, I can now buy a very, very expensive house.  Mom and Dad were gracious that way, but they weren't particularly unique. 

Pretty much most of my friends and relatives my age (26), and I, have on-and-off lived at home (or went home for extended periods of time between big moves, like my friend whose lease ended just after she finished law school, and is staying with her parents while she studies for the bar and looks for a new place) since graduating college (though I'm hopefully fully launched unless some catastrophe happens). It's really not that unusual in this day and age. Though Jesse, as a Godly Man of God, has the added bonus of not dealing with the main drawback of living with your parents as a person in your 20s: figuring out the logistics of your sex life. 

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

They appear so boring and bland whenever you get a glimpse of them that this might be a perfect match. 

Have the Maxwells ever been spotted with the Duggars after Joshgate? Or did they cut all their ties to keep their image clean?

A Wissmann - Bontrager match would be awesome. I could see Allison with Stephen, Denver with Alaythia, Elizabeth and Nathanael, Hudson and Charissa. Damn there are so many possibilities with these two families!!! 

Yes, the Maxwells and Duggars are still friends (it seems). The Duggars went to Chelsy and John’s wedding. Probably for both the Maxwell and Bontrager sides. If the Maxwells really didn’t like them, I imagine Steve would have told John not to invite them. 

You didn’t ask for it, but the post about freezing strawberries is up!  A record!  I’ve been anxiously waiting with my pizza cutter and lettuce for that tutorial.   

2 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

You didn’t ask for it, but the post about freezing strawberries is up!  A record!  I’ve been anxiously waiting with my pizza cutter and lettuce for that tutorial.   

What in sweet Rufus's name does "Flash Freezing" mean? Are there different kinds of freezing? Is there non-Flash Freezing?

And Maxwells, I need more details for step #4:

4. Freeze until solid

How?  What is "freeze?" What is "solid?" Should I set a timer? How do I schedule this?  What equipment do I use for the magical process? Astrolabe? Centrifuge? Toaster? Pizza Cutter? Gyroscope?  Can I buy the equipment at Aldi's?  Can I multitask and fellowship with a family member while freezing strawberries? Can I recite bible verses?

So.many.questions.

I had to look up flash freezing; I thought it sounded like an industrial or commercial process requiring special equipment. But it turns out that in home use, it just means laying the items out on a cookie sheet to freeze them before putting them in containers. If they had just put the strawberries straight into the baggies, they would have stuck together in a big block. 

Of course, Teri won’t explain this in her posts, because she expects her readers to do their own research, she once said that if readers wanted more info on [subject xyz ], they could google it. Apparently the 30-year teacher doesn’t like helping people learn. 

I can't believe that was a blog post.

I don't understand why she feels she needs to churn out shitty content 3x a week, where it would be much better to have a couple of decent posts per month.

24 minutes ago, catlady said:

I had to look up flash freezing; I thought it sounded like an industrial or commercial process requiring special equipment. But it turns out that in home use, it just means laying the items out on a cookie sheet to freeze them before putting them in containers. If they had just put the strawberries straight into the baggies, they would have stuck together in a big block. 

Of course, Teri won’t explain this in her posts, because she expects her readers to do their own research, she once said that if readers wanted more info on [subject xyz ], they could google it. Apparently the 30-year teacher doesn’t like helping people learn. 

I just clunk the frozen baggie of berries down in the sink and save a step...they're getting chopped in a blender anyway.

47 minutes ago, catlady said:

Of course, Teri won’t explain this in her posts, because she expects her readers to do their own research,

Nah--she expects the curiosity to be wrung out of them by constant pregnancy, birthing, overwhelming homeschooling, working from home for money and lying about it, it.

16 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

No way in hell  would JC meet with Steve's approval. Not only did he not own his own home, outright or otherwise, but he made it clear he and his bride(s) would be moving into his father's house.. Mansions, shmansions. There is also the not-so-small matter of the type of people JC liked to hang out with. OTOH, he apparently did have some mad carpentry skills and he could feed an entire multitude with 5 animal crackers and 2 bean burritos.

I find this very funny to think about! You're right, he didn't own his own home, so he is disqualified right off the bat. There's also that small matter of him being alone with that Samaritan woman at the well...and making water into wine (!!!) and when he was young, he totally ran off without his parents and talked back when they caught up to him. Marry Sarah? JC wouldn't even qualify as a character in a Moody book!

Front-end development is a great career to have, and well paid too. Between that and living at home rent (and bills too, I expect) free I can see him saving up for a house and being able to pay it off debt free.

I’m pretty sure the first comment on the flash-freezing strawberries post is a FJer. 

Im still voting no on any Maxwell- Wissman courtship. I can’t see a Wissman girl settling for the fuddy duddy Maxwell life. 

20 hours ago, socalrules said:

I just call BS on any of them being able to buy a house debt free and fully support their families from money made through their sad Maxwell businesses. There has to be some other work out there making them money. I just don’t see a Maxwell business making money to pay salaries for all the sons and allowing them to pay cash for houses. I am trying to understand how a Maxwell business could be making Jesse, say $25,000 a year, even if he were able to save all of it after taxes. I also have a hard time believing Steve wouldn’t be expecting  rent to be paid from a working Maxwell son and would have no problem paying all of his sons’ bills.

Let's see: They live in a very reasonably priced part of the country. They have no mortgage, credit card bills, student loans, car loans. Property taxes are very low. What would cost so much if you didn't have all that? I know I could still pay my rent on my state's unemployment without 401(k) loan payments. If any of the boys are saving for a child's college it is likely ONLY for the boys.  We don't know what all they do to earn money--but they do keep multiple streams of income going even if it is only a trickle. Now, how they afford medical care (Health Savings Account??) or save for retirement, if they do that, we don't know. Where I live their life would be possible with a debt-free home. In fact, I've been shopping for one I could pay off in about 5-8 years!! That's how cheap my area is.

10 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

I’m pretty sure the first comment on the flash-freezing strawberries post is a FJer. 

Im still voting no on any Maxwell- Wissman courtship. I can’t see a Wissman girl settling for the fuddy duddy Maxwell life. 

The Wissmanns and Bontragers are longtime friends and their families remind me of one another. I’m surprised there hasn’t been a match yet. But there are plenty of single Wissmanns and Bontragers left.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived