IGNORED

Maxwell 21: Deliberately Hiding the Truth Again

Coconut Flan

14 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

First comment on the Aldi post is from someone who never thought to freeze strawberries to use later. 

It never occurred to them. And they’re asking for a how-to post from Terie. A whole post on freezing strawberries  

So the Maxwell’s think outside the box more than at least 1 person in this world. 

OMFG- Yesterday, I hulled and froze several quarts- Can you imagine being so limited? And does this person not know about the www?

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

OMFG- Yesterday, I hulled and froze several quarts- Can you imagine being so limited? And does this person not know about the www?

That commenter's internet is probably locked down so tight with Covenant Eyes that it eliminates references to "strawberries" as a potential sex term. :my_biggrin: 

2 hours ago, Candydandy said:

The closest Aldi to me is a half hour away, not worth the drive to me. I do shop at Trader Joe but never thought to blog post about it or pose in front of the store. This morning I enjoyed fresh strawberries in my oatmeal. I bought them, washed them, then cut them up. I then proceeded to place them in a container stored in the fridge for use later. Now me or my family can eat a fresh strawberry at a moment’s whim Smile. 

It's strawberry time here, and the native ones at the roadside stands are so much better than those in grocery stores.  If I weren't so lazy, I'd go pick some.

When I was in Germany for a year, i didn’t really see any Aldis or Lidls. I did live near a Netto Marken-Discount (Marken meaning brands). I either bought my food there or at REWE (another chain, a branch of which was right opposite where I lived). During summer I remember seeing pop-up stalls in the shape of strawberries, which sold, erm, strawberries :pb_lol: I never bought any though.

We have a Lidl in my hometown, but we don’t use it, my mum can be a bit snobby about that kind of thing. Our nearest big supermarket is Waitrose, which is seen as the “posh”, middle-class place, although we use other supermarkets too. 

I have an Aldi within walking distance of my house. It opened about a year ago. Along the same road, but a couple miles further away, is a Lidl. I have yet to shop in either one, though, because I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Kroger fan (they're close by, too, but not close enough to walk). Between their mega sales, my coupons, and an occasional visit to the commissary for the few things that are cheaper than at Kroger, I'm good. I never seem to have a quarter on me, anyway, so I'd be out of luck at Aldi. :pb_lol:

About the Tigger/Tiger debacle: Steve is insane. That is all.

And freezing strawberries is probably the easiest food preservation thing you can possibly do. It doesn't even need a blog post of its own; a couple sentences embedded in a post about cutting lettuce leaves with a pizza cutter would suffice.

@mango_fandango, the first Aldi’s I ever saw was in Germany when we visited relatives in Bremerhaven in 1995. I was a little surprised to see them in the US several years later.

10 hours ago, DooDahDame said:

Aldi is Trader Joe’s parent company.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. In 1960, Aldi split into Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd. (North and south.) Aldi Süd owns the Aldi stores in the United States. Joe Coulombe opened the first Trader Joe's in 1967, and Aldi Nord bought Trader Joe's from him in 1979. All of this is from Wikipedia articles about Aldi and Trader Joe's.  

Thus endeth the pointless lesson. :pb_rollseyes:

20 hours ago, Destiny said:

I was deeply confused when I was in ... Georgia maybe? I'm not sure anymore, and I went to get a bottle of wine for dinner. The poor grocery workers gave me wtf face when I asked them where the wine and liquor section was. I had NO idea that something called package stores even existed til that trip. 

Here in Delaware grocery stores don't sell alcohol.  So, no Two Buck Chuck is available at the only Trader Joe's in the entire state (which is almost in PA).  It still shocks me to go to the Whole Foods or Wegmans which are just up the road from Trader Joe's in PA and they have substantial beer and wine sections.

I am a completely broke college student who lives with their parents and sitting at work starving and that grocery list is pathetic to me. The fact there is a post about that is even more pathetic to me. 

8 hours ago, Candydandy said:

This morning I enjoyed fresh strawberries in my oatmeal. I bought them, washed them, then cut them up. I then proceeded to place them in a container stored in the fridge for use later. Now me or my family can eat a fresh strawberry at a moment’s whim Smile. 

Recipe please! What a great idea to cut up the berries. I love the taste of strawberries but sometimes they are too big to get in my mouth at once, so I usually eat cherries, which I don't like as much.

What do you use to cut them with?

Asking for a way to freeze strawberries is like asking for a recipe to boil water.

I'm kinda jealous of all the variety of stores you have in the U.S., around here I have walmart, carrefour, coto, dia, jumbo, makro... And I usually shop at the farmer's market:pb_lol: 

When I lived in the UK I had a Londis and a Budgens in my block and I also used to shop a lot in Sainsbury's.

21 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Here in Delaware grocery stores don't sell alcohol.  So, no Two Buck Chuck is available at the only Trader Joe's in the entire state (which is almost in PA).  It still shocks me to go to the Whole Foods or Wegmans which are just up the road from Trader Joe's in PA and they have substantial beer and wine sections.

In the People’s Republic of Montgomery County you can only buy hard liquor from a County owned store. Beer and wine can only be sold at beer and wine stores and one store per chain. So Safeway, Giant and such has to pick one location only. 

Teri posted a photo of a heathen hussy in pants in the produce isle. I feel so defrauded. And for the love Rufus Teri oyster crackers and oatmeal? If you are really good will Steve let you have three crackers at one time?

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

When I was in Germany for a year, i didn’t really see any Aldis or Lidls. I did live near a Netto Marken-Discount (Marken meaning brands).

That's interesting, cause I forgot about Netto cause there's not really any near me or where I usually am when I want to get a drink or snack.

I went to college in the 80's, and my state was one of the last ones to raise the legal drinking age to 21, so I could drink at 18.  I turned 18 during my senior year in high school.  Anyway, the state I grew up in allows hard liquor to be sold in grocery stores, and I didn't realize at the time that not all states allowed it.  Going to FL for spring break was common during college, and one time we went to the grocery store for rum, and they looked at us like we were crazy.  I live in a different state now, but miss the convenience of being able to buy whatever alcohol I needed at Albertsons.

I found this map regarding the liquor laws in the different states.  It states that LA and NV have the least restrictive liquor laws in the country:  http://www.stateliquorlaws.com/map

Here is an interesting article about the differences in regs:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottbeyer/2016/03/29/a-tale-of-two-alcohol-laws-new-orleans-and-oklahoma-city/#33a80fb23dba

2 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Asking for a way to freeze strawberries is like asking for a recipe to boil water.

I'm kinda jealous of all the variety of stores you have in the U.S., around here I have walmart, carrefour, coto, dia, jumbo, makro... And I usually shop at the farmer's market:pb_lol: 

When I lived in the UK I had a Londis and a Budgens in my block and I also used to shop a lot in Sainsbury's.

Well according to my mother in law, I boil water incorrectly. 

@crawfishgirl, I went to the University of Georgia in the mid-70s and you could buy any kind of booze if you were 18.  Most of the bars didn't check IDs either.  I once went to a liquor store dressed as Shirley Temple.  It was during the Fantasy Party at Lyndram Hall in the spring of '74.  

Lyndram Hall was where some of my gay guy friends lived.  Pretty much anything was ok at the party except drugs.  The guys were worried about being targeted by the cops since they were gay.  They didn't want to give them more ammunition by the aroma of wafting smoke from grass.

6 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Teri posted a photo of a heathen hussy in pants in the produce isle. I feel so defrauded. And for the love Rufus Teri oyster crackers and oatmeal? If you are really good will Steve let you have three crackers at one time?

Only animal crackers.  And don't even think about Pepsi.

5 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

I found this map regarding the liquor laws in the different states.  It states that LA and NV have the least restrictive liquor laws in the country:  http://www.stateliquorlaws.com/map

As a denizen of sin city, I can tell you that the liquor laws here are lax as fuck. Remember, we have slots in the grocery store and minimart. They ARE really tough on drunk driving though. I mean TOUGH!! Yet, seeing the drunk tourists lurch their way down the strip holding a yard of whatever concoction they're drinking is par for the course. 

Grocery Stores: We have Smith's (Kroger), Albertson's (Safeway), Von's (Safeway), WinCo, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the commissary at Nellis. I don't like Albertson's or Von's...prices are too high. I do Smith's, Sprouts, and Trader Joe's, with occasional WinCo runs (there's 2 stores in the area, one up north and one in Henderson). Food prices here, on the whole are pretty good. Gas is getting fucking outrageous though. Surprisingly, the cost of living here is pretty fucking reasonable.

4 hours ago, Peaches1981 said:

Well according to my mother in law, I boil water incorrectly. 

If you use a pot to hold the water, you're golden.  I don't care what your MIL says.

In my neck of the woods, there's a Sainsbury's and a Lidl within 5 minutes of my apartment, which is awesome. I like them both, though I like Lidl slightly more. They have really good chocolate and I've bought most of my houseplants from them and the Ikea near me. 

Well guys, I spent a while getting to know the Maxwell's.  They hike a lot.  Pretty boring life for young people.  I sense Daddy has some control issues, so do his sons and that Jesse looks kinda weird in a fundy sort of way.  Those girls seem kind of disturbingly vanilla. Someone needs to spike the brownies.  I did that once many many years ago.  

On 6/20/2018 at 10:19 AM, singsingsing said:

There are still places where you have to use a coin to get a cart?! Wow, I thought that went the way of the dinosaurs sometime in the 90s...

I have never had to pay to get a shopping cart! The only place I've seen that is at the airport. 

The quarter for the cart is probably an incentive to bring the cart back to the store. And it’s a deposit since you get your quarter back. 

I went last night!  I got a wheel of Brie for about half of what i’ve paid elsewhere. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived