IGNORED

Maxwell 21: Deliberately Hiding the Truth Again

Coconut Flan

First comment on the Aldi post is from someone who never thought to freeze strawberries to use later. 

It never occurred to them. And they’re asking for a how-to post from Terie. A whole post on freezing strawberries  

So the Maxwell’s think outside the box more than at least 1 person in this world. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, nomoxian said:

What place accepts a quarter in a cart?!

The discount grocery store near me does. However I never have a quarter because I never carry any cash. This means I have to look for a cart that is "free". These sorts of carts are always the ones that are locked or have a wonky wheel. Comments are made to me about this by the old women* who sit on the bench in the entrance of the store. I don't mind the commentary because they intersperse cart commentary with compliments about my makeup or hat. 

* every time I go to this store I see 2 or 3 very elderly women sitting on the bench chatting

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

I like aldi. Where else can I get 6 bottles of acceptable wine for 20 dollars? 

Damn it! I live in the wrong state, no wine in our stores! :my_dodgy: However,  Aldi does have a good gluten free section. Still I shop mostly at my locally owned store.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Note to Poor Sarah: take a seat about Gigi’s photography skills, would you?

Gigi should be photographing weddings instead of Chris.  

16 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Damn it! I live in the wrong state, no wine in our stores! :my_dodgy: However,  Aldi does have a good gluten free section. Still I shop mostly at my locally owned store.

My state doesn’t allow it either. The local Trader Joe’s can’t even sell Two Buck Chuck. The first time I went on vacation in Florida, I was blown away by the liquor aisle in the grocery store; I had never seen that before. 

We don't have Aldi's by me. We have ShopRite, Stop & Shop & Kings. They are all good. Depending on the population of the area the stores are in its what the store stocks. For example the Shop Rite by me has a huge Kosher food section, because their are a lot people in the area who are Kosher. Another one I frequent has a huge hot food section because it is right by a large office park. 

On 6/19/2018 at 3:37 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Ministry trip vs mission trip. How is a mission not a ministry?

Technically a ministry is anything that helps to meet other people's needs (i.e. "ministers" to them) whereas a mission, at least in Christianese, is specifically the business of converting people. Some missions do involve ministering to people's needs with the hope that that will work as conversion bait, though, so it gets confusing.

Maybe the most useful distinction is that, IIRC, ministries can also target the already converted, whereas missions are looking for new recruits.

2 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

First comment on the Aldi post is from someone who never thought to freeze strawberries to use later. 

It never occurred to them. And they’re asking for a how-to post from Terie. A whole post on freezing strawberries  

So the Maxwell’s think outside the box more than at least 1 person in this world. 

Next blog post will definitely be a guide on using a pizza cutter to prep strawberries for freezing. 

1 hour ago, catlady said:

My state doesn’t allow it either. The local Trader Joe’s can’t even sell Two Buck Chuck. The first time I went on vacation in Florida, I was blown away by the liquor aisle in the grocery store; I had never seen that before. 

I was deeply confused when I was in ... Georgia maybe? I'm not sure anymore, and I went to get a bottle of wine for dinner. The poor grocery workers gave me wtf face when I asked them where the wine and liquor section was. I had NO idea that something called package stores even existed til that trip. 

1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Gigi should be photographing weddings instead of Chris.  

Gigi would be having damn straight more fun than Pris.

Someone SERIOUSLY asked how to freeze strawberries? Fuck. Me.

I saw a commercial for Aldi just a little while ago.  It was comparing their White Cheddar Puffs to Pirate Booty.  We do have some Aldis around here, but we also have a Lidl, a Whole Foods, a Lowe's, an Earth Fare, a Fresh Market, Trader Joes, and a number of Ingles, Publix, Bi-Lo, Food Lion and Walmart Market stores.  We are also supposed to get a Sprouts.  Lidl is a German chain which is like Aldi except hipper.

42 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I was deeply confused when I was in ... Georgia maybe? I'm not sure anymore, and I went to get a bottle of wine for dinner. The poor grocery workers gave me wtf face when I asked them where the wine and liquor section was. I had NO idea that something called package stores even existed til that trip. 

my state, NY, can sell beer and wine products (lower alcohol content) in grocery stores, but everything else must be sold in a dedicated liquor store.  we went to PA several years ago, where even beer had to be sold in designated outlets.  we were rather amused by the drive-thru beer stores--it's like a barn with one long aisle and you drive in, tell the employee what you want, they tell you how far down to stop, and they put it in your car.  you pay at the exit.  we went for a particular local brand, so we don't know how they accommodate browsing or undecided customers.

Aldi is great and since I live in Germany it's practically everywhere. It is the best grocery discounter in my opinion. Lidl is okay too, but I prefer Aldi.

We don't have Aldis here, so every time there's an Aldis discussion on FJ, I try to get a better idea of what they're like. We have Albertsons, WinCo, Fred Meyer (now a Kroger affiliate), Walmart, CostCo, Grocery Outlet, one Trader Joe's, one Whole Foods, one Natural Grocers, and a local co-op/natural foods store that opened a second location and seems to be competing just fine with Whole Foods.

When I list them like that, I'm impressed by the choices. There was a point in the 90s that Albertsons had 1 or maybe 2 competitors. It is a big improvement and it helps keep the prices lower. Too bad I still can't find some of the kinds of Celestial Seasonings tea I like. :pb_rollseyes:

6 hours ago, Destiny said:

You were in definitely in Georgia 

This Tigger/Tiger business really highlights why Steve Maxwell pisses me off more than any other fundie. Like honestly who do they think they’re fooling here? Steve Maxwell with his perfectly crafted brand, who doesn’t let an errant photo get posted to that blog. He of scrubbed engagements, disappearing back exercise pictures (on an entirety different family’s IG story)...thinks people will believe this?

Really?

7 hours ago, Destiny said:

It wasn’t here
! We have beer and wine everywhere!

Y’all! This shows grandmas in their 80’s can take good pictures. GiGi took this when she and Mom were out shopping.

I can't help myself:

dumb.jpg

Nothing bothers me more than when people treat competent elderly people like they're infants. Come on Sarah, your 80 year old grandmother has been using a camera longer than anyone else in the family. OF COURSE she can take a decent photograph. 

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

Aldi is great and since I live in Germany it's practically everywhere. It is the best grocery discounter in my opinion. Lidl is okay too, but I prefer Aldi.

For me it's Penny > Aldi > Lidl

Aldi is Trader Joe’s parent company. My Aldi store will be closing in October for remodeling. During that six week period I will have to drive quite a distance to a recently remodeled store or stock up before they close. Nope, I’ll drive because they will have all the Octoberfest goodies in the store then.

i predict Teri et. al. will stop shopping at Aldi when they can sell wine next to whatever Teri is buying. 

I will admit, I love Aldi's so it's hard for me to hate on this post. Except for the horrible writing and that they've missed the products that truly make Aldi's awesome - the best gluten free pasta selection, nice cheeses that are super cheap (bri, goat cheese, fresh mozzarella for less than $4), random high quality European foods (usually German, like brats and spaetzle), cheap spices, and cheap seasonal items (I almost bought a kiddie pool for $4.99 last week).

We have a few Aldi’s, but they’re not in my usual stomping grounds, so I generally forget to go there. But every now and then FJers say good things about them, so once more I will try to get over there. We have Wegmans, which I love. We just got a Whole Foods that I haven’t been to yet; then Trader Joe’s, Tops, Save-a-lot, and a  local shop called Niagara Produce.   That one is out of the way for me, but I stop in on the way back from Tractor Supply (for the chicken food).  They’re kind of a cross between Trader Joe’s and a farmers market. 

4 hours ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

You were in definitely in Georgia 

This Tigger/Tiger business really highlights why Steve Maxwell pisses me off more than any other fundie. Like honestly who do they think they’re fooling here? Steve Maxwell with his perfectly crafted brand, who doesn’t let an errant photo get posted to that blog. He of scrubbed engagements, disappearing back exercise pictures (on an entirety different family’s IG story)...thinks people will believe this?

Really?

Tigger/Tiger? What did I miss? Someone copped to reading Winnie The Pooh in Maxhell? (Poor Winnie, how that sounds. Composition error and it stays!)

The closest Aldi to me is a half hour away, not worth the drive to me. I do shop at Trader Joe but never thought to blog post about it or pose in front of the store. This morning I enjoyed fresh strawberries in my oatmeal. I bought them, washed them, then cut them up. I then proceeded to place them in a container stored in the fridge for use later. Now me or my family can eat a fresh strawberry at a moment’s whim Smile. 

12 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

Technically a ministry is anything that helps to meet other people's needs (i.e. "ministers" to them) whereas a mission, at least in Christianese, is specifically the business of converting people. Some missions do involve ministering to people's needs with the hope that that will work as conversion bait, though, so it gets confusing.

Maybe the most useful distinction is that, IIRC, ministries can also target the already converted, whereas missions are looking for new recruits.

I'm not trying to be rude, but a mission just about anywhere does things that meet people's needs. Hence missionaries run medical clinics or orphanages or provide literacy training or encourage microbusinesses--just like Peace Corps. There are "ministries" that provide goats or bikes or dig wells. You can go on mission trips that minister to people by building houses or schools or whatever. It's just not that clear-cut in all churches. That's my point on why it's a Steve/Maxwellian semantic point.

Church of the Crazy Stevehova has some odd meannings I guess

4 hours ago, NeckPunch said:

I can't help myself:

Nothing bothers me more than when people treat competent elderly people like they're infants. Come on Sarah, your 80 year old grandmother has been using a camera longer than anyone else in the family. OF COURSE she can take a decent photograph. 

Great point. I also hate the whole "Sweetie/honey" movement. She has a NAME. I imagine most of the "elderly" Sarah meets are those who can't protest being wheeled down to their church service so the staff can have some coffee in peace. That Grandma Gigi is more "with it" than that probably just doesn't occur to her!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived