IGNORED

M is For Mama - where quiver full meets Pinterest

TuringMachine

That is the problem, EowynW. Generally, fundies are not setting their kids up to be successful. I know of fundies where all are doing is providing shelter, food, clothing, and bare minimum schooling. In one family that I know of, the son became very depressed, has had issues with drugs, job stability, and is expecting a baby. He works his tail off doing minimum wage odd jobs. He was set up to fail by his mother who was obsessed with pregnancy and just had a new baby herself this past year. Fundies need to take responsibility for educating their kids and guiding them so they can have equal opportunities that other children have, when it comes to deciding on a career. Many fundies don't do this because they just don't care. It is not a priority to them.  JB Duggar hasn't sent his kids to college but at the very least, he has been training them in trade skills. College is not for everyone- but acquiring skills is necessary and it's a parent's responsibility to put their kid on a path to do so.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents didn't care either. I understand. I've lived it. And am still living with the repercussions. 

Does her house remind anyone else of Gilead, albeit a fancy, magazine photoshoot version? Every room of the house is that same terrifying green shade of the Waterford's house.

Our dining room table and chairs, a large display/bookcase, tv stand, and a console table my husband uses as a computer desk are from a "real" furniture store.  Literally every other piece of furniture in the house is Ikea.  Beds, wardrobes, desk, bookcases, cabinets, coffee table, tables for my husband's legos etc.  I looooove Ikea.  We have a bunch of the real wood Hemnes pieces and our sofa is the insanely comfortable Tidafors - my sister-in-law replaced her own sofa with one after coveting ours for awhile.  We just recently redid our bathroom with the Silveran line (old pieces belonged to the previous homeowners).  I use Hemnes bookcase with the glass door for my dishes and a Hemnes shelf unit they show for use in the bathroom for my pots and pans.  I'm always congratulated on my creativity for that one lol  Even our mattress and pillows are Ikea.  They have some really nice things.

Count me in on the IKEA love! My shopping list is at about 5 grand right now. I'm probably going to do one room at a time...but high on my list is another china cabinet sort of thing and an entertainment center. My office is 100% IKEA except for the desk chair I found at Goodwill practically new for 13 bucks. My dining room table and chairs are IKEA too. 

I have a thing for a bedroom set at IKEA too, I want the HEMNES bed w/underbed storage and the HEMNES dresser, night stands and chest of drawers. 

Eventually I'll have the entire place redone. We're going into a bigger apartment later this summer and HOPEFULLY a house by spring 2019.

I think some where if she read this thread, she would be less troubled by what we say about her religious views, and more annoyed, we look at her interior design and expensive design choices, then slide off to talk about IKEA. I bet she thinks IKEA is way below her. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I love IKEA  don't get me wrong, but I can't imagine her going for that style :)

12 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Count me in on the IKEA love! My shopping list is at about 5 grand right now. I'm probably going to do one room at a time...but high on my list is another china cabinet sort of thing and an entertainment center. My office is 100% IKEA except for the desk chair I found at Goodwill practically new for 13 bucks. My dining room table and chairs are IKEA too. 

I have a thing for a bedroom set at IKEA too, I want the HEMNES bed w/underbed storage and the HEMNES dresser, night stands and chest of drawers. 

Eventually I'll have the entire place redone. We're going into a bigger apartment later this summer and HOPEFULLY a house by spring 2019.

I want that Hemnes bed!  It didn't exist when we moved 6 years ago and we were buying a bigger bed, ours is a Malm (I never all caps Ikea stuff but this thread is making me want to :) and our wardrobes are from the PAX line.  We replaced all my husband's very old BILLY bookcases with HEMNES and I have the HEMNES desk and secretary in the spare bedroom, I want to eventually replace the wardrobe and bed in there with HEMNES pieces too.  I have the white in the kitchen, the black in the living/dining and the entryway (shoe cabinet) and the brown/grey color in the bedroom.  I want the yellow dresser but we are out of wall space with all the bookcases.

My dining chairs are only not IKEA because they were floor models of a discontinued line and the very lovely sales girl sold them to me for 75% off.

I think some people look down on IKEA because of the self-assembly, which I don't get, and some because they assume it's all particle board amd laminate, which I do get, but they should give it a chance.  They have a lot of real wood items now and their natural latex mattress was nicer than any I tried in a mattress store.  And we went to approx. 20 furniture stores when moving and no one had a sofa half as comfortable as IKEA, and so inexpensive!  

I love the IKEA stuff because it's my style...minimalist, clean lines, sorta modern. Maybe it's because my mother was all about that Early American shit when I was growing up. I still have two tables that were my parents'. They're both rather unique so they end up being conversation pieces. I also have an antique secretary desk that a friend of my grandfather's made as payment for some work my grandfather did (depression-era bartering) that is made out of old packing crates. Its a one of a kind piece that has loads of sentimental value. 

On 6/8/2018 at 7:10 PM, feministxtian said:

I love the IKEA stuff because it's my style...minimalist, clean lines, sorta modern. Maybe it's because my mother was all about that Early American shit when I was growing up. I still have two tables that were my parents'. They're both rather unique so they end up being conversation pieces. I also have an antique secretary desk that a friend of my grandfather's made as payment for some work my grandfather did (depression-era bartering) that is made out of old packing crates. Its a one of a kind piece that has loads of sentimental value. 

Yeah, I think growing up in a house full of soft beiges and sea greens and daffodil yellows and decorated in a very classic Early American/New England colonial style made me all about clean lines, super bright colors, and quirky patterns. My mom's style is really nice, but it was just too fussy for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Abbie would like you to know that she struggles too! Sometimes the brotherdads aren't home so she has to clean the kitchen and take care of her children herself! 

I had to stare at that for a few seconds before I realized that she's trying to show us a dirty kitchen. Oh no, a couple of dishes in the sink and a couple of grocery bags on the counter! I'd have to clean up to take a picture like that!

I have 5 kids, 1 spouse, and an average size house, so it doesn't take much laying around to make it look ridiculous in here. Her current level of mess didn't even register on my "ew" scale. That's 5 minutes of clean up to be back to Pinterest-level.

My couch is currently covered in 2 stacks of laundry that need to be re-washed because my boys tried to cram as much as possible into the washer and dryer and of course it didn't get dry, and then they crammed it all into a laundry basket because I asked them to get it ready for me to sort into giveaways/currently wearable, but I didn't get to it for a day and now the still-soggy clothes smell like mildew.

The kitchen has all 5 kids in there having a snack, probably messily, and the remnants of the s'mores supplies from last night are on the counter.

I could scrub the entire house top to bottom and make it look like an interior design ad.... until one of my kids came through. There would be a pile of clutter within 5 minutes, and a handprint on something. And some Legos.

But my kids are happy and they don't have to live in a constant Instagram photoshoot. It's all good.

Dear Lord, that's, what, a whole ten minutes of work there? Fifteen allowing for interruptions and the fact that she's oh-so-exhausted.

2 minutes ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I have 5 kids, 1 spouse, and an average size house, so it doesn't take much laying around to make it look ridiculous in here. Her current level of mess didn't even register on my "ew" scale. That's 5 minutes of clean up to be back to Pinterest-level.

There's 2 of us and 2 cats. I THINK the dishes are mostly in the dishwasher...and I think the kitchen would pass a health inspection. My couch is covered in miscellaneous shit, apartment complex pamphlets, a bag of cereal and a water bottle. The bar is, well, there's a countertop somewhere there. 

When I had 5 kids at home, I was doing good if I could sorta, kinda keep up on the laundry, dishes and bathrooms. 

Boo hoo. “I had to wake up at 5 am to teach Pilates” Woe is me Abigail.  She makes me nauseous and pukey. She could turn into Lori in like 25 years....

My entire kitchen is about the size of her kitchen island.

On the plus side of that, when you don't have a kitchen the size of a small home, it's really quick to clean.  :dance:

To use one of my favorite Frank McCourt-isms - Abigail can go take a running jump for herself.

And to use one of my favorite Frank McCourt-isms: "Abigail would you ever go and have a good shit for yourself. (Instead of humble bragging about your oh so dirty kitchen)."

I half expect her to follow that shit up with "I'm sorry people are so jealous of me. I can't help it that I'm popular." 

She posted this and all I could think of is that this child is happy to have a little of his mother’s attention and he’s tired of being parented by his older brother. That’s why he behaved. 

CF3A051B-FA7D-4D9A-B5E3-E02BEC236ED6.png

15 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Boo hoo. “I had to wake up at 5 am to teach Pilates” Woe is me Abigail.  She makes me nauseous and pukey. She could turn into Lori in like 25 years....

This reminds me of a Doonesbury comic strip back when Jane Fonda was making exercise videos.  The cleaning woman at her gym mentions being exhausted, so Jane Fonda suggests an exercise class. The cleaning woman says she’s too busy to find the time. JF tells her how busy busy busy SHE is, but still has time to exercise. So the cleaning woman replies, “But you’re as busy as you wanna be. I’m as busy as I GOTTA be.

We know most Instagram accounts are not reality. However I feel like this Instagram account is “The Hills” of reality TV. Practically everything is staged to a T with maybe 1% reality snuck in. 

I think Abigail is someone who tries SO hard to “show off” in every picture because she gets off on it. She’s addicted to it. She’s really an arrogant braggart that has to frost every picture with a humble brag to justify her showing off. Humble bragging is her desperate attempt to make her vanity more socially acceptable. There are people who can’t go to bed at night if others don’t wish they had their life. They feed on people’s envy since it makes them feel more important than they really are. I think Abigail is quiverfull solely for the attention. All she has to do is dress them up, walk out in an Anthropologie inspired dress, and head to a grocery store and she probably gets hit up with “How do you do it all?” She LIVES for those moments and feeds on that attention.

8 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I think Abigail is someone who tries SO hard to “show off” in every picture because she gets off on it. She has to frost every picture with a humble brag to justify her showing off. Humble bragging is her desperate attempt to make her vanity more socially acceptable. There are people who can’t go to bed at night if others don’t wish they had their life. They feed on people’s envy since it makes them feel more important than they really are. I think Abigail is quiverfull solely for the attention.

And one day her kids will realize it. They might already.

Whenever I see these families whoring their passel of kids out to social media and basking in the fawning attention they get because I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW SHE DOES IT, I think of that scene in Mommie Dearest where Joan Crawford, at long last, lets it slip that she really only adopted Christina for the attention and publicity, and doesn't understand why Christina doesn't fawn over her and worship her like her fans do. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived